Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orwell Randonnee 2019

Options
  • 26-03-2019 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

The Orwell Randonnee is filling up fast!!

With just over a month to go to the big day there are only 100 entries left! Don't miss out on the chance to try this early season cracker!

There is the usual monster of a route which includes The Wall, Lugalla, Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, the back of the lakes, the Sally Gap AGAIN and home:)

The Randonnee Lite has been changed for this year and comes in just under 100km but it is still a serious challenge with 2 trips up the Sally Gap!

https://www.orwellwheelers.org/events/randonnee/1228-the-orwell-randonnee-2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

The Orwell Randonnee is 3 weeks from this weekend. They have just hit 300 entries and will be closing it when they get to 350.

Don’t miss out on this epic early season event!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

2ebwb5k.jpg

Free "blister" packs of Sudocrem!

As if you needed another reason to sign up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's put me right off the carrot cake's butter-cream icing...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Last reminder - entries to the Orwell Randonnee will close this Friday!

https://www.orwellwheelers.org/events/randonnee/1228-the-orwell-randonnee-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

So, quick boardsie roll call. Who's doing this?
    I'll be in Clonard RC colours on a black Wilier, say hello if you see me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I am.
    Black Canyon with red handlebar tape , I'll be wearing black, red and white shoes, red mitts, red and black helmet.
    Old man, grey goatee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Glad I’m not doing it. Weather looks rubbish with a highs of 11 degrees in Dublin so that means about 5 or 6 up there and possibly even lower earlier in the morning.

Glad I’m not doing it. Weather looks rubbish with a highs of 11 degrees in Dublin so that means about 5 or 6 up there and possibly even lower earlier in the morning.

Thanks for the positivity.

I wonder, will we get burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sounds about normal for the OR.

(Working myself unfortunately so won't make it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A tad cool compared to 2018. Basically Costa Del Sol compared to 2017/16.

Only reason I bother so we'd better :pac:

Apparently numbers this year are the highest they've ever been but don't worry its still no ROK so you won't be stuck in a herd. A pace for everyone.

I'll be in IRC gear on .... actually I'm not sure. If I can't be arsed moving the garmin pedals to my good bike, then I'll be on a grey/orange TCR.

As for the weather. Facebook memory photos during the week of Randonnees past are of full, head-to-toe winter regalia. Forecast is dry though and that's the main thing. The climbs will be warm and the descents chilly.

Eamonnator wrote: »

The carrot cake / burger combo have twice knocked me off my vegan perch. I'm back on it now and determined to resist. Pretty sure they'll do me a veggie burger, and my carrot cake resolve will depend on how fcuked I am coming in the gate at the finish. :pac:

Carrot cake will get you at the Laragh food stop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

looking forward to Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Sounds about normal for the OR.

(Working myself unfortunately so won't make it).

Yeah. On the 2015 event which was rerouted and shortened due to weather.
    I ended it been wrapped in foil due to the cold, like one of this hamburgers they serve.
    The following year wasn’t much better and haven’t done it since.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    So, quick boardsie roll call. Who's doing this?
    I'll be in Clonard RC colours on a black Wilier, say hello if you see me.

Looking forward to meeting up again D. I'll probably be in Swords gear unless it's even colder than forecast and on the Van Nicholas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've to go to a wedding. Was told by friend (who's getting married) I'd get away with doing the lite.

A good friend for that, but opted not to. A day I. Wicklow beckons tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Mate of mine can’t go and wants me to use his registration. What’s the procedure for this on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

I'll be there for the annual punishment. Grey haired chap on a white Cannondale with red bar tape. I'll be keeping an eye out for the other boardsies. According to yr.no it will be 3-5 C up on the military road and that site is normally spot on so I'll be bet into a fluo Castelli Gabba top.

• Advertisement

Signs up around old long hill and roundwood this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Weepsie wrote: »
    They've been up a couple of weeks at this stage.

lissard wrote: »
    I'll be there for the annual punishment. Grey haired chap on a white Cannondale with red bar tape. I'll be keeping an eye out for the other boardsies. According to yr.no it will be 3-5 C up on the military road and that site is normally spot on so I'll be bet into a fluo Castelli Gabba top.

Good call on the Gabba.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    They've been up a couple of weeks at this stage.

Notice to locals signs have been up since the last bank holiday Friday.

Back in from around Wicklow. Sun unexpectedly shone for first half, pretty much til I got to military road from roundwood, but it was bloody cold from there back to Dublin. Northerly wind into the face and hands were freezing on descent.

Think it's to be similar tomorrow.

Think I may have sunburn on the ears too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Was a beautiful day last year. I've to go viewing a house so cant make it, got an email midweek about bringing the cycling licence number and only for that I would have forgotten I'd signed up.
    As a result I checked with the organisers and was very kindly given a refund when I said I couldnt make it.
    Worked out well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Highs of 10 degrees and blue skies, sure that's nearly summer :D I am less optimistic about that headwind back up Sally gap the second time though, 2017 was borderline traumatic

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I am less optimistic about that headwind back up Sally gap the second time though, 2017 was borderline traumatic

Was that not when you took off after the ambulance!!

That last bit coming up to Sally Gap from Kilbride can be a killer alright especially in an east wind. Met Eireann are showing NE easing a bit in the afternoon and temperatures of 4-6 degrees at Sally Gap. Looks like I better dig out the Mistral jacket and tights as well as the winter base-layer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...That last bit coming up to Sally Gap from Kilbride can be a killer alright especially in an east wind. Met Eireann are showing NE easing a bit in the afternoon and temperatures of 4-6 degrees at Sally Gap. Looks like I better dig out the Mistral jacket and tights as well as the winter base-layer :(
    I thought you were taking a young lady under your wing on the OR this year (or was that just a rumour?).

• Advertisement

I thought you were taking a young lady under your wing on the OR this year (or was that just a rumour?).

Not sure that taking her under my wing will affect my choice of clothing :confused:

Advertisement