Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orwell Randonnee 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not sure that taking her under my wing will affect my choice of clothing :confused:
    LOL :D

I meant to ask if you were doing the full distance or the 'lite'?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Weepsie wrote:
    Signs up around old long hill and roundwood this morning.

Are they closing the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Seanieke wrote: »

no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Seanieke wrote: »

Not even Orwell could afford that. - I'd say in a couple of years though... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Ah grand. A sign just appeared at the gate a few weeks ago, we got no further information on what the cycling event was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

LOL :D

I meant to ask if you were doing the full distance or the 'lite'?

All or nothing is the plan.

Two other friends still looking to take part but missed the deadline. Anyone out there getting cold feet (and hands)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

fat bloke wrote: »
    Not even Orwell could afford that. - I'd say in a couple of years though... :D

Shane Ross will sort it out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

1C and raining near Greystones. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend who lives in monkstown had heavy hail showers this morning. long since passed over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Yeah. Damp chilly start but it heated up fairly quickly. Currently scoffing cake in laragh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's perfect weather now. Skies are blue in all directions so we should be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Premature end. Tallaght hospital, dislocated shoulder. Currently waiting to have it popped back in. Touched wheels on Wicklow gap descent. Think the bike is OK, maybe rear mech needs looking at.
    Ah well, twas a great day up til that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

^^^
    "Thanking" your post seems inappropriate. I hope you recover well and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Premature end. Tallaght hospital, dislocated shoulder. Currently waiting to have it popped back in. Touched wheels on Wicklow gap descent. Think the bike is OK, maybe rear mech needs looking at.

Always sorry to hear of a cyclist down, speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Speedy recovery Daroxtar - see you at the Mick Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Great morning for a spin. Wasn't doing the Randonée but was on the route for a bit. Super to see so many cyclists out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get well soon Daroxtar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon.

Very well organised event as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

That's terrible Daroxtar. You were well gone by the time I came down from the Gap and I only heard about it in the clubhouse when I finished. Hopefully some of your clubmates were around and could help with logistics - bike, car, etc.

I'm still recovering from ligament damage to my shoulder after a relatively slow crash compared to yours but hopefully you will be back on the bike before too long. I hope the phone call home wasn't too traumatic ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Sorry missed this.. Had seen the signs up over last few weeks but never joined the dots to look at booking it. Ended up meeting lots of participants on the route and then shared a chat and a cold can of Coke in Enniskerry with one on way home - riding a lovely Blue Canyon with Dura Ace and discs... maybe an Ultimate

Would have been a perfect spin for me as I wanted to get a good long cycle in today. Did 125k on my lonesome in the end (IM training... can I say that around these parts.. :p)

Well done everyone who took part and Sorry to read about some accidents. Hope recovery is fast.

Will book this next year!

• Advertisement

Very sorry to hear that, given it happened on that descent you're lucky it wasn't a lot worse. Perfect excuse to get that new bike now!
    Get well soon.

Sorry missed this.. Had seen the signs up over last few weeks but never joined the dots to look at booking it. Ended up meeting lots of participants on the route and then shared a chat and a cold can of Coke in Enniskerry with one on way home - riding a lovely Blue Canyon with Dura Ace and discs... maybe an Ultimate

Would have been a perfect spin for me as I wanted to get a good long cycle in today. Did 125k on my lonesome in the end (IM training... can I say that around these parts.. :p)

Well done everyone who took part and Sorry to read about some accidents. Hope recovery is fast.

Will book this next year!

Reminds me of that joke, how do you know someone who's a triathlete? They tell ya :P

Joking aside, 125 on your own, that's proper cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Daroxtar, speed recovery

Three punctures for me today so ran out of tubes. Dave from (Sheelin Flyers) handed over one of his and off I went again. He just told me to 'pay it forward'. Which I think I did about 30 minutes later by helping a fellow cyclist free a lamb that was stuck in the fence (front end went through the wire fence but the rear end was going nowhere). So pulled it out and set it free into the field where it sprinted off to Mama. Felt good and though Dave would be happy with that! Cheers, a gent he was). I then punctured about 30km to go and limped home pumping the tyre to about 20psi every 8km or so. The mechanicals took the shine off the end (descending very carefully).

Orwell did a stunning job at marshalling this event. Food was top notch and Mr Orange is a gent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »
    Great morning for a spin. Wasn't doing the Randonbut was on the route for a bit. Super to see so many cyclists out.

Caught up with (see what I did there :)) a lad on a celeste/black Palace R coming into Enniskerry. - Your mate? Looked really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Cheers lads. Unfortunately, slightly worse than I initially thought. Dislocated the AC joint so 6-8 weeks recovery. Collapsed lung too.
    Look, it could have been a lot worse if I hit the car or my head.

I would like to say that up to that point I was having a good day. Climbing well, enjoying the sunshine,. Marshalling and all round organisation was absolutely amazing. Orwell really are a hell of a club. I'll be back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

fat bloke wrote: »
    Caught up with (see what I did there :)) a lad on a celeste/black Palace R coming into Enniskerry. - Your mate? Looked really nice

More than likely, especially if he looked like he weighed as much as your leg :pac: He's only after buying a powermeter, was out FTP testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Quality crashing Daroxtar! 10/10 for effort :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Cheers lads. Unfortunately, slightly worse than I initially thought. Dislocated the AC joint so 6-8 weeks recovery. Collapsed lung too.
    Look, it could have been a lot worse if I hit the car or my head.

I would like to say that up to that point I was having a good day. Climbing well, enjoying the sunshine,. Marshalling and all round organisation was absolutely amazing. Orwell really are a hell of a club. I'll be back next year

Sorry to hear about the crash Daroxtar - that was me on the other end of the Orwell Facebook Messenger with you today.

Get well soon and we will look forward to having you back next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Loads of photos now on the Orwell Flickr page and Facebook page

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmD1WuPe

https://flic.kr/s/aHskR2CNp4

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUjioFq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Speedy recovery to you. It sounds like that could have been a whole lot worse as well.

Advertisement