Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogging a chargepoint

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

n97 mini wrote: »
    I subsequently encountered her at the FCP in Lucan and learned she's one of those people that waits at an FCP till she hits 100% (I checked... FCP said 98% and she was sitting in the car on her phone) despite having 2 cars queuing behind her. After that if I saw a red 161D red Leaf with a distinctive lady driver at any CP I just bypassed it.

And TBH the littering annoyed me more than the CP hogging.

People are strange.

Got diesel on Friday and had to wait as the gentleman in the adjacent pump was standing way out and blocking my way to my pump (never happened before). I was in a patient mood so just waited.

Of course he was filling his tank full which was grand but he spent maybe a minute getting the last few ml into the tank, 5/6 goes at a final top up.

Maybe some people just get their kicks causing inconvenience to others!

Maybe some people just get their kicks causing inconvenience to others!

Unfortunately that's a sad truth !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Don't like clampers/towers but as the amount of electric cars increases there will be the need to be some sort of policing of the charge points.

As mentioned before a charge for overstaying that increases heavily after a few hours.

Clamping is one thing. Letting the air out of someone's tyres is completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Firblog

Thank you kindly. So it's fine to park an ice car without a parking ticket on an electric charging spot? I've seen cars clamped for a lot less. Obviously under the misconception that on street parking was strictly regulated. Btw I had just been done back home for charging without a displayed ticket.

You don't need a parking ticket if you're parked and charging in Donegal. I asked the council what the rules were when I got leaf 4 years ago and haven't put a ticket
    on since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Firblog wrote: »
    You don't need a parking ticket if you're parked and charging in Donegal. I asked the council what the rules were when I got leaf 4 years ago and haven't put a ticket
    on since.

Varies hugely by county. Used to be free parking at CPs in Kildare till about 2 weeks ago.

Not that it'll make much difference as the council haven't heard of EVs yet, so there's only one CP on public land in all of North Kildare (population well in excess of 100,000).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

There is not enough chargers, its only going to get worse, when more BEV's are on the road and when charging for charging comes in, no hope of getting a charge, it will be: when I am paying for it, you can wait.

If fuel prices go up, which I believe they will, then it will start to make economical sense for outlanders to charge, 2 euros worth of petrol would not last long in an urban area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kanuseeme wrote: »
    There is not enough chargers, its only going to get worse, when more BEV's are on the road and when charging for charging comes in, no hope of getting a charge, it will be: when I am paying for it, you can wait.

If fuel prices go up, which I believe they will, then it will start to make economical sense for outlanders to charge, 2 euros worth of petrol would not last long in an urban area.

That’s the thing, I don’t think people will overstay once charging fees come in. They will quickly realize that it will be cheaper to charge at home.

kceire wrote: »
    That’s the thing, I don’t think people will overstay once charging fees come in. They will quickly realize that it will be cheaper to charge at home.

Its not overstaying, its actual use. you cannot deny the use of a paid service to some one because they are a local or have a petrol engine, it will always be cheaper to charge at home, and if fuel prices increase because of carbon tax or a war, it could lead to phev's using rapid chargers.

But as more BEV's are bought, you will have more people who forgot to charge or got a unexpected journey to do, add that to the person who will not go outside in his slippers to plug in because its raining (me) , we all get lazy or forget,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It wasn't a daft blonde bint in a white Leaf with an N plate was it? If it was, I had the same conversation with her about a month ago. Wouldn't be told that only one car can be DC charged at a time, and there was already a car on the rapid. Stroppy cow!

It was a white Leaf, and yes a lady with shortish blonde hair. Eastern European accent?

Don't recall if there was an N plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It was a white Leaf, and yes a lady with shortish blonde hair. Eastern European accent?

Don't recall if there was an N plate.

No, the accent was one of those affected south Dublin accents.

Another dumb blonde in a white Leaf? What are the chances? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

I don’t have an electric car. One issue with public charging points is that you don’t know how empty the other person’s battery is. It is possible that somebody needs a long charge, if they have say a two hour journey ahead and their battery is low. How can you gauge such a scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Some will have lights on the dash top (visible from the front through the windscreen) or charge port showing how full it is. Some you can see the % on the dash display while it's charging.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Or, being a rapid charger, they shouldn't be far away (this has been my experience so far) and you can just ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Or, being a rapid charger, they shouldn't be far away (this has been my experience so far) and you can just ask them.

How about having the charger flip over to charge the other vehicle after 20 mins and then 20 mins later flip back?

That way the original car will get 20 mins on and off if there are a queue of people waiting but it also means the cars in the queue only have to wait 20 mins before they can get 20 mins worth of charge.

Or even giving the opportunity to manually flip over every 20 mins if the original car owner doesnt override it. At least that would keep them nearby,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Clamping, letting air out of tyres, timed charging, snooping around someones car, taking note of people hair cuts, accents, car colour, posting pictures or people's cars parked on the internet.
    Will ye listen to yourselves, who in their right mind would buy an EV if that's what you can expect from other EV users.
    As the amount or EV's grow this is going to end up in brawls at charging points, court appearance that kind of thing.
    If someone wants to charge to 100% it's none of your business it's their right to do so regardless of your situation. Manners and etiquette are utopian dreams most people would walk by someone lying in the street or a damsel in distress, I wouldn't hold my breath on EV drivers to be any better.
    You've a danger of making this expensive, highly regulated with fines, security personnel required to stop ye beating the heads off each other.
    It's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better if it does at all.

Realistically I think your looking at expensive charging, as in €50 per hour of charging to force people to charge at home and someone doing a long journey will need to pay for it the same as ice drivers do now. EV's still need roads you can't keep them maintained on buttons. The price of fuel/charging has to skyrocket, it's the only show in town and you can be full sure it's coming down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't think it's got to be 50 quid an hour... But its gonna have to be cheaper to charge at home than at a public charger... And parking shouldn't be free anymore, (so no one turns up to use a charger for free parking). Residents with evs using on street charging will have residents permits anyway...
    And scale "parking" charges at fast chargers so the short 10 or 20 min charge is free (but the electricity is still dearer than home) and get dearer the longer you're there,
    People just need a little nudge...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the charging network needs to be at the point that you can go to your local tesco and charge while you shop then go to aldi, lidl etc and do the same without having to think will you be able to. every car park needs to be half chargers and every shop needs to have one outside if posible.
    plug in , swipe your card and it charges the car and charges you x amount per kw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

the charging network needs to be at the point that you can go to your local tesco and charge while you shop then go to aldi, lidl etc and do the same without having to think will you be able to. every car park needs to be half chargers and every shop needs to have one outside if posible.
    plug in , swipe your card and it charges the car and charges you x amount per kw

All ok for large multinational shops, I have a friend who owns a very small independent garage and shop in Galway and we wanted to install a charger for customers and he approached a few companies who do the chargers and was told no as his premises was not large enough or was in wrong area. He mentioned it to county council and was told no, so he priced getting it done independently and the cost was nearly 40 grand.. some incentive is needed for business who want to provide chargers.

harr wrote: »
    All ok for large multinational shops, I have a friend who owns a very small independent garage and shop in Galway and we wanted to install a charger for customers and he approached a few companies who do the chargers and was told no as his premises was not large enough or was in wrong area. He mentioned it to county council and was told no, so he priced getting it done independently and the cost was nearly 40 grand.. some incentive is needed for business who want to provide chargers.

i agree with you. it needs to come from grants and incentives.
    if you could install one and ofset it against tax then it would instavise shops to do it.

it needs to become the norm that there will be loads of chargers around. you need to be able to choose which charger you want rather than prey there is even one availible.

how is it 40k. how much is a domestic one. i can see it being 5-10k but 40k thats nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

if you could install one and ofset it against tax then it would instavise shops to do it.

it needs to become the norm that there will be loads of chargers around. you need to be able to choose which charger you want rather than prey there is even one availible.

how is it 40k. how much is a domestic one. i can see it being 5-10k but 40k thats nuts
    He looked into getting a domestic one but insurance wouldn’t allow it, the 40k included a small upgrade to his current wiring to support a charger.

• Advertisement

whats the duty cycle of a domestic and comercial charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

A slow domestic style AC charge point in a shop location is not much use tbh as the amount of topup you'll get in 30-45mins is quite small. You'd need to be stuck to justify the effort of getting out cables etc.

It would be OK in a shopping centre where you might be staying for a few hours but not for your local supervalu/centra/aldi where you would typically be staying <1hr. The exception would be where it was an 11kW charge point and you had a car capable of utilising the full 11kW.... most cant.

Your local Aldi/Supervalu etc need a DC rapid charger and thats where the big money comes in. Not justified for them from a business perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

kceire wrote: »

Its not overstaying, its actual use. you cannot deny the use of a paid service to some one because they are a local or have a petrol engine, it will always be cheaper to charge at home, and if fuel prices increase because of carbon tax or a war, it could lead to phev's using rapid chargers.

But as more BEV's are bought, you will have more people who forgot to charge or got a unexpected journey to do, add that to the person who will not go outside in his slippers to plug in because its raining (me) , we all get lazy or forget,

For me the answer is LOTS of charger capacity.

Two people "hogging" is far less of an issue if there are 8 other chargers available on site. A user will just rock up - take no notice of the hoggers and continue on.

You can't really stop the hoggers actually plugging in.

But you can enforce maximum stay time at rapids and the thing about charging is that it encourages those with home chargers to use that home chargers.

That's because the home charger will be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

So tell me why someone hasn't knocked the heads of EV manufacturers together... and got them to agree on a set of standard specs for swappable batteries. There could be say 3 standard sizes to suitable different sizes of vehicles.

Then all you need are forecourt stations that will supply charged batteries and recharge discharged ones. That's the only real way the EV thing can work long term, so why isn't the industry grasping the bull by the horns now. Instead of doing their own things.

Reminds me of the days when you had to choose what type of O/S to get on your desktop, before MS came in with Windows etc and steamrollered a standard.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    So tell me why someone hasn't knocked the heads of EV manufacturers together... and got them to agree on a set of standard specs for swappable batteries. There could be say 3 standard sizes to suitable different sizes of vehicles.

Then all you need are forecourt stations that will supply charged batteries and recharge discharged ones. That's the only real way the EV thing can work long term, so why isn't the industry grasping the bull by the horns now. Instead of doing their own things.

Reminds me of the days when you had to choose what type of O/S to get on your desktop, before MS came in with Windows etc and steamrollered a standard.

Here's some reasons....

- Too expensive to stock the batteries.

- Warranty issues would be a problem.... who has to pay for the dud battery that I swap at your station and drive off with my shiny new battery that you put in stock today! Its just messy!

- Not good to have a whole load of batteries sitting fully charged for long periods of time. It one of the things Li-ion does not like.

- Just not required going forward as the range of EV's is getting longer to the point where swapping a battery just isnt required.

KCross wrote: »
    Here's some reasons....

- Too expensive to stock the batteries.

- Warranty issues would be a problem.... who has to pay for the dud battery that I swap at your station and drive off with my shiny new battery that you put in stock today! Its just messy!

- Not good to have a whole load of batteries sitting fully charged for long periods of time. It one of the things Li-ion does not like.

- Just not required going forward as the range of EV's is getting longer to the point where swapping a battery just isnt required.

Not convinced!

- Too expensive? Where's the figures?

- Warranty? You don't own the swappable battery, you just get the use of it whilst utilising the charge. Like buying a gas cylinder for your cooker. Up to suppliers & vendors of batteries to ensure they are in adequate condition.

- load of batteries sitting charged?? Come on now - that's the sort of standard stock/ supply issue managed everyday.

- why bother with public charging points then, if range is never going to be a problem??

Renault made the fluenze ZE, it had a swap-able battery (on lease) , and a company by the name of better place had a few "service stations" in Israel and i think Holland or Denmark. it folded with car owners worried about who owns the battery,

Not convinced!

- Too expensive? Where's the figures?

- Warranty? You don't own the swappable battery, you just get the use of it whilst utilising the charge. Like buying a gas cylinder for your cooker. Up to suppliers & vendors of batteries to ensure they are in adequate condition.

- load of batteries sitting charged?? Come on now - that's the sort of standard stock/ supply issue managed everyday.

Hold on, I'll drag out that business plan I had! :)

Anything is possible I suppose but its not a new idea. It has been trialled already and abandoned.

And getting all the manufacturers to agree on the entire battery pack (size, form etc) is a tall order. They cant even agree on the connector to charge the battery not to mind to agree the entire pack and make that fit into every platform.

The batteries are not made by the car manufacturers they are made outside the industry by competing businesses (CATL, SGi, LG etc). They would have to agree some standards and then all the car manufacturers would have to agree as well.

I cant see it happening with the current tech. Maybe next gen if it becomes smaller, but even then I doubt it.

- why bother with public charging points then, if range is never going to be a problem??

If you have a 500km EV you will need to stop at some point before you do 500km, so you just use that stop to charge the battery at a high speed rapid for 30mins. Swapping isnt required.

Swapping sounds like a good idea but in practice it doesnt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tesla Model 3 for sale today can charge at 250kW. That means charging the long range one (75kWh) up from 20-80% just takes a touch over 10 minutes. After which you're good to go for another 400km at motorway speeds

Swapping batteries seemed like a good idea back in 2009. But it turned out it wasn't. And does no longer have any benefits when modern cars can charge this fast. Next year's Porsche Taycan can charge at 400kW or thereabouts

unkel wrote: »
    Tesla Model 3 for sale today can charge at 250kW. That means charging the long range one (75kWh) up from 20-80% just takes a touch over 10 minutes. After which you're good to go for another 400km at motorway speeds

Swapping batteries seemed like a good idea back in 2009. But it turned out it wasn't. And does no longer have any benefits when modern cars can charge this fast. Next year's Porsche Taycan can charge at 400kW or thereabouts

And presumably your argument is that the technology found in Tesla & Porsche will filter down to the great unwashed?

Maybe it will but maybe at a cost? Swappable battery concept you say tried before, well maybe it was before it's time then. Where there's a need and a market, a way will be found. Only the enthusiast can put up with the current system of public charging and the potential long delays waiting for a hook up and then the actual charge time. That's a serious downside.

There was an interesting popular science programme, Secrets of the Super Elements on BBC4 last week: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rv9r6

And the risks of being dependent on such elements.

• Advertisement

Renault made the fluenze ZE, it had a swap-able battery (on lease) , and a company by the name of better place had a few "service stations" in Israel and i think Holland or Denmark. it folded with car owners worried about who owns the battery,

Maybe but we run our gas cooker off bottled gas and I must admit, I've never worried too much about the fact that I don't own the cylinder. I just drop the empty in, pick up a full one and pay.......

Somewhere along the line I paid for the cylinder, maybe the first time I purchased one and that was it.

Developments in charging capability coming into operation now and in near future from Tesla and Porsche - supported by Tesla supercharging and companies like Ionity.

Pretty much make battery swapping in super duper fast time an unnecessarily complex and full of faffing around idea thats increasingly unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Maybe but we run our gas cooker off bottled gas and I must admit, I've never worried too much about the fact that I don't own the cylinder. I just drop the empty in, pick up a full one and pay.......

Somewhere along the line I paid for the cylinder, maybe the first time I purchased one and that was it.

With the gas, you are guaranteed a fixed amount, by weight/pressure of gas.
    Not the case with the swap batteries

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Porsche technology along with Tesla WILL filter down to the normal everyday car.

Tesla will in time likely seek to offer its knowhow to companies like Ford who will be seeking to compete with Skoda who will use Porsches 800 volt battery knowledge.

Past experience in the car industry tells us that what starts in "expensive" cars filters down to normal cars.

Much of what you will find on a modern normal car like a Qashqui is stuff that originated on high end cars like the Mercedes S class.

Only the enthusiast can put up with the current system of public charging and the potential long delays waiting for a hook up and then the actual charge time. That's a serious downside.

^
    Thats the key word there. Currently there are downsides to public charging because the infrastructure is not yet in place.... classic chicken and egg problem.

It will be solved though in the not too distant future (<3yrs and its already begun) and without the need for battery swaps and the complexity surrounding that.

Only the enthusiast can put up with the current system of public charging and the potential long delays waiting for a hook up and then the actual charge time. That's a serious downside.

This is the actual nub. The battery car is not an every man car, and no person really knows when that changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Over on the other thread you have people taking about how an EV is unsuitable for long journey's and being swamped with replies about how they can use fast chargers and public charging points and how they could go for coffee or a meal while its charging. indeed we should be taking breaks anyway as they prevent tiredness, improve concentration.

Then there is this thread where the first post is complain about someone spending 55 minutes at a public charge point and many of the same posters promoting the charging network for long journeys similarly complaining.

What are you supposed to do. Stop every 50 km and top up for 15 to 20 minutes ?

A Kona has a 64kW battery, even on a 50kW fast charger it going to take at least an hour to get to 80% charge. As more people start using their cars for longer Journeys the problem will only get worse.

Talk for 250kW chargers is about as helpful as talking about private helicopters. Most people will be dependent on 50kW chargers for extended range or long journeys so promoting and encouraging people to buy EV's even for long journeys and then complaining about people using chargers for 55 minutes is hypocritical.

Even those with home chargers have a problem with the larger battery cars. Charging a 64kW hour battery on a 16amp charger will take over 17 hours.. even a 32amp charger will take 10 plus hours to charge from 10%

knipex wrote: »
    A Kona has a 64kW battery, even on a 50kW fast charger it going to take at least an hour to get to 80% charge. As more people start using their cars for longer Journeys the problem will only get worse.

Talk for 250kW chargers is about as helpful as talking about private helicopters. Most people will be dependent on 50kW chargers for extended range or long journeys so promoting and encouraging people to buy EV's even for long journeys and then complaining about people using chargers for 55 minutes is hypocritical.

Why are you equating helicopters to 250kW chargers? :confused:
    175kW chargers exist today. 250-350kW chargers are around the corner and the latest discussion on this thread was looking into the future. Whats the problem?

The current issues with public charging are down to lack of investment and infrastructure in this country and that is now being addressed with multiple rapid charger companies putting new chargers on the ground.

That will significantly alleviate the public charging issue for long journeys. Thats already happening.

Even those with home chargers have a problem with the larger battery cars. Charging a 64kW hour battery on a 16amp charger will take over 17 hours.. even a 32amp charger will take 10 plus hours to charge from 10%

Your assumption is that someone who has a Kona EV is going to be running it to dead everyday. Thats not reality except for rep cars and they will stick with ICE for a long time to come.

Someone buying a 64kWh Kona will have plenty time to charge the car overnight. You are seeing a problem that doesnt exist.

Yes you are correct, the network as it stands now is a joke, it is very, very slowly improving with just 1 Ionity site online and perhaps 1 more in the coming months, and too bad if you travel the M9, it's disgracefully covered and the emphases seems to be on travel from Dublin to Cork and Galway.......

The M9 is one of the busiest roads on the Island yet the most poorly served for charging.

It's unlikely the ESB will start installing chargers until probably Q2 2020 at the very earliest because of planning permission, site availability and all that.

2 Konas and a Leaf charging makes for very grim EV experience that's for sure.

The only real positive about that is that a Kona driver will rarely need public charging unless they travel further than about 350 Kms frequently then it would be a pain.

Hopefully Ionity will install more chargers by the end of the year and more next year, I'm not sure what their complete plan for Ireland is.

Home charging is a non issue , even with 3 Kw charging, why you may ask ? well it's quite simple really. Most people won't need 64 Kwh daily so at 50% you'd have 30 odd Kwh in the battery which would take 10 hrs at 3 Kw and 5 hrs at 7 Kw or a little less.

So, there's no reason for someone not to plug the car in by 50-60%.

• Advertisement

With the gas, you are guaranteed a fixed amount, by weight/pressure of gas.
    Not the case with the swap batteries

Why not? Surely it's not beyond the ingenuity of mankind to ensure that batteries of a certain standard carry a given charge?
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Porsche technology along with Tesla WILL filter down to the normal everyday car.

At what costs though? That documentary I listed above shows a massive factory being built in USA by Tesla in Nevada I think - lithium is the 'white gold'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What are you supposed to do. Stop every 50 km and top up for 15 to 20 minutes ?

A Kona has a 64kW battery, even on a 50kW fast charger it going to take at least an hour to get to 80% charge.

No it won't. Kona can charge at up to 80kW on the existing Ionity chargers in Ireland (which are 175kW / 350kW). Arrive with 20% left and charge to 80% should take about half an hour. And then you're good to go for another couple of hours of motorway 120km/h cruising, so say 250km. After which you are supposed to stop anyway for a short break.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What about the many EV users that don't venture near a Public Charge Point?
    I don't use them at all for instance.

Kona takes 50 mins to get to 80% from 10%, at 57% it's charging at 56 Kw. this is on a 175 Kw charger. Batteries need to be at higher voltage now.

It's simply not good enough, you would have thought they would have at least 100 Kw by now but , someday.

Perhaps the 62 Kwh Leaf can manage that at higher power.

All depends on battery temps too, colder = longer time to charge.

Here's the Kona charging.

No it won't. Kona can charge at up to 80kW on the existing Ionity chargers in Ireland (which are 175kW / 350kW). Arrive with 20% left and charge to 80% should take about half an hour. And then you're good to go for another couple of hours of motorway 120km/h cruising, so say 250km. After which you are supposed to stop anyway for a short break.

Maybe if Cashel is on his route................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Come on, at least be honest and tell the whole truth..

There is 1, (ONE) Ionity charge point working in Ireland.

In Cashel..

There are two being built.. One in Athlone and another in Wexford just of the M11.

https://ionity.eu/en/where-and-how.html

So unless you happen to be in Cashel you are stuck using 50kW chargers.

• Advertisement

People are talking of EVs not being suitable in ELEVEN years time.

So yes talk of 250 kw charging is relevant because that is actually a reality on Model 3s on V3 enabled superchargers.

The reason the "you have to stop for a meal" gets bought up is that many journeys have a natural stopping pattern even in a diesel.

In the future every place you can park a car is potentially a charger location - whether that's a slow charger or a rapid.

Planning how to best utilise the network as it grows and evolves is vital.

The problem with hogging is the guy that leaves the car on a rapid for HOURS.

And no other rapid available.

When we move to having a LOT of chargers everywhere - this problem reduces.

Partially through 2 to 3 hour restrictions on rapids and also through sheer numbers of chargers.

Where the 250 to 350 kw charging comes into play in the future and hence why its relevant today as we talk about 11 years time is the following.

250 to 350 kw capable cars will be able to put 200 miles plus of range in 15 to 20 mins.

This means shorter journey times and less time at rapids and means that throughput of cars into and out of places like Gorey and Cashel will be a lot faster.

LorenzoB and knipex.... you're in the EV forum... we know there is a charging infrastructure issue! We've all felt the pain of it :)

The point is, its being worked on and will be solved.

Current EV's are not suitable for everyone on multiple levels... choice, price, range, availability.

If they dont suit you today, stick with ICE.
    If they do suit you, then great, buy one.

At some point in the future an EV will probably suit you at which time the infrastructure issues will be old news. Just be patient! ;)

I reckon that for some people the BEVs are not manly enough. The types that never understood why the cars and bike had to get electric starters. Some others may just be traditionalists where any change is automatically the bad. But I think the ego thing is lots to do with the resistance.

Normally once you try one you understand why we rave about the BEVs if suitable for our regular routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I fast charge regularly (normally at least twice a week). I've never really had a problem. I do not live in the greater Dublin area. I also charge at home. I drive ~1000km per week.
    I'm not that unusual. However it's also quite a boring statement. I'm just posting this to highlight that it's not all doom and gloom..

I'm just posting this to highlight that it's not all doom and gloom..

You’re right , it isn’t all doom and gloom , that is , until you need the network and might have a 2 hr wait !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement