Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogging a chargepoint

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    No I would get up and offer it to her............I’d be pretty annoyed if she demanded it though...

What if she asked you nicely, explaining that she has a dodgy hip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

No problem with that......

No problem with that......

Well, that's probably going to be the situation at a charger. A driver might ask you nicely can he get 15 minutes charge because he's on a long run and needs to be at his destination at a certain time.

I can't see anyone demanding to be let on the charger.

Well, that's probably going to be the situation at a charger. A driver might ask you nicely can he get 15 minutes charge because he's on a long run and needs to be at his destination at a certain time.

I can't see anyone demanding to be let on the charger.

Exactly..I wouldn’t ask to jump the queue at the deli because I hadn’t eaten all day ....so only in an emergency should someone do it at a chargepoint

Surely there’s room for private enterprise to get involved here

Set up fast chargers that can be reserved online...say 10euro for 40 mins .

It would be a win win for everyone.......no time wasted queuing....range anxiety removed exc exc....
    I would gladly pay it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Surely there’s room for private enterprise to get involved here

Set up fast chargers that can be reserved online...say 10euro for 40 mins .

It would be a win win for everyone.......no time wasted queuing....range anxiety removed exc exc....
    I would gladly pay it

You can reserve easygo fast chargers, but they've only one available yet.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You can reserve easygo fast chargers, but they've only one available yet.

Cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Comparing someone who actually has a pregnancy, disability or a severe medical condition with an EV driver "nicely" suggesting their time is more valuable than yours and could you therefore please get out of their way is 100% apples to oranges (and very bitter, marmalade, oranges at that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I love EVs.

But when you choose to buy one, you are choosing a level of inconvenience in return for no VRT, lower road tax and lower fuel costs.

If you're not prepared to talk to some you perceive as a hogger, then get over it.

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Comparing someone who actually has a pregnancy, disability or a severe medical condition with an EV driver "nicely" suggesting their time is more valuable than yours and could you therefore please get out of their way is 100% apples to oranges (and very bitter, marmalade, oranges at that).

I'd hate to live in your world.

I know for a fact that my time is less valuable than most drivers. If I knew someone was in a time crush I'd happily give way. Unless they ask, how would I know if they're just local freeloaders, or someone in a bit of a scrape?

We're not all self absorbed asshats you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

To anybody reading this thread who isn’t an ev owner and is now afraid to get an ev don’t be too worried about the horror stories everybody is different. The timing of when you need a charge and how you plan your trip are the biggest things you need to keep in mind. I’ve had my ev since the start of January and I’ve only been waiting twice on a charge and both times were 15minutes, I live in Dublin. There was one weekend in January when I was caught out passing through Gorey with all chargers down and I had to slow charge in courtown to get enough range to make it up to the coynes cross fast charger but since then I haven’t landed at a charger that was out of service. I do have a home charger which If possible definitely get one but in my experience with 7,000km on the clock the charging network has been good and reliable. I pass the Lucan charge point and the new lands one often enough and half the time it’s empty or one car is at it. Definitely some people are having it hard and the infrastructure needs to keep growing with demand but I wouldn’t for a second discourage anybody from getting an ev in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Mupchease wrote: »
    To anybody reading this thread who isn’t an ev owner and is now afraid to get an ev don’t be too worried about the horror stories everybody is different. The timing of when you need a charge and how you plan your trip are the biggest things you need to keep in mind. I’ve had my ev since the start of January and I’ve only been waiting twice on a charge and both times were 15minutes, I live in Dublin. There was one weekend in January when I was caught out passing through Gorey with all chargers down and I had to slow charge in courtown to get enough range to make it up to the coynes cross fast charger but since then I haven’t landed at a charger that was out of service. I do have a home charger which If possible definitely get one but in my experience with 7,000km on the clock the charging network has been good and reliable. I pass the Lucan charge point and the new lands one often enough and half the time it’s empty or one car is at it. Definitely some people are having it hard and the infrastructure needs to keep growing with demand but I wouldn’t for a second discourage anybody from getting an ev in my experience.

This is exactly why those that can't or won't buy an ev wont . You got caught short twice in 3 months. You could very easily be caught short 7 to 8 times a year . You were only delayed 15 min but could have easily been a lot longer or potentially for hours if someone abandons the car there after it is fully charged.
    To me that is unacceptable risk. I wouldn't put myself in that position
    It has to get to the point where if one charger is in use all you have to do is drive a short distance to the next one.
    It needs to be at the point where there are chargers at every carpark and larger shops like tesco and dunes also etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've done over 50k in the last year. I almost ran out of juice once. I've done worse in a petrol car (did run out). I drove from the West coast to the east coast and back in the last 24 hours, with my family. I passed 10 chargers, stopped twice without incident to charge for a total of 45 minutes. This is totally normal

I've done over 50k in the last year. I almost ran out of juice once. I've done worse in a petrol car (did run out). I drove from the West coast to the east coast and back in the last 24 hours, with my family. I passed 10 chargers, stopped twice without incident to charge for a total of 45 minutes. This is totally normal

Was there any hoggers about?

As normal I saw nothing of interest. I was going to stop in Kilbeggan but according to zapmaps it became occupied just before I arrived there so I just kept going to Athlone and charged there

• Advertisement

This is exactly why those that can't or won't buy an ev wont . You got caught short twice in 3 months. You could very easily be caught short 7 to 8 times a year . You were only delayed 15 min but could have easily been a lot longer or potentially for hours if someone abandons the car there after it is fully charged.
    To me that is unacceptable risk. I wouldn't put myself in that position
    It has to get to the point where if one charger is in use all you have to do is drive a short distance to the next one.
    It needs to be at the point where there are chargers at every carpark and larger shops like tesco and dunes also etc.

I should have mentioned that there was slow chargers in the area available and I could have made it to the next fast charger and then home but I didn’t mind waiting both them times. So I wasn’t stuck I just didn’t want to drive to the next one Incase there was a queue by the time I got there. Besides that was in Gorey and there is a new fast charger put in the area and I haven’t once seen a car charging now at the original one when I have passed. Both times I have waited we’re both in January. The infrastructure has improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

This is easily the worst thread in the EV/Hybrid section.

Soarer wrote:
    This is easily the worst thread in the EV/Hybrid section.

Genuine Question, why do you think it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

To me that is unacceptable risk. I wouldn't put myself in that position.

Agree - you'd have to be a diehard to put up with it and it'll only get worse (at least for a while) if the powers that be keep pushing EVs. Motoring was grand once when most people didn't have a car, the roads were relatively quiet. Now there are two & three cars to every household, suddenly it loses it's charm in towns and cities.

Ditto will happen for EVs, unless there is some major infrastructural or technological change. Or failing that, that the actual manufacturers might manage to agree on some sort of common swappable battery that could be changed at forecourt stations. In & out.

BarryD2 wrote:
    Agree - you'd have to be a diehard to put up with it and it'll only get worse (at least for a while) if the powers that be keep pushing EVs. Motoring was grand once when most people didn't have a car, the roads were relatively quiet. Now there are two & three cars to every household, suddenly it loses it's charm in towns and cities.

People are funny, they will ignore reality or the normal, and go with the extremes because it suits a narrative that appeals to them for reasons that are unknown......

• Advertisement

I know for a fact that my time is less valuable than most drivers.

You apparently have low self-esteem.
    We're not all self absorbed asshats you know.

Or maybe not. I would consider myself a presumptuous and self absorbed asshat to go tapping on the door of another driver and inviting them to give me their time.

Or maybe not. I would consider myself a presumptuous and self absorbed asshat to go tapping on the door of another driver and inviting them to give me their time.

Low self esteem isn't something I've ever been accused of. :D
    Arrogance is the accusation I have heard most. I like to think of myself as a realist though.

I'm fortunate in that my time is my own and I'm very seldom in a hurry anywhere these days, but I appreciate that a lot of people are rushing here and there.

I can take a lot of pleasure just shooting the breeze with a fellow road user, and knowing that I may have made his day a little less stressful. I remember stress and would always have been grateful if someone eased the way a little.

Are there drivers I wouldn't give time to? Absolutely. Some would probably be in this thread. ;)

I can take a lot of pleasure just shooting the breeze with a fellow road user, and knowing that I may have made his day a little less stressful. I remember stress and would always have been grateful if someone eased the way a little.

Well, that's very kind of you, but in my view it's just facilitating fellow road users to be disorganised.
    I'm fortunate in that my time is my own and I'm very seldom in a hurry anywhere these days, but I appreciate that a lot of people are rushing here and there.

Someone who's rushing like that just hasn't allowed enough time for their journey. Another poster talked about a driver begging him in a "panic" to let him use a charger, or else he'd be late for work.

Well, I don't actually think letting him was dong him any favour at all. On the contrary, it's encouraging him to remain disorganised and stressed. If he'd been declined, maybe he'd have learned from his mistake.

I have an EV and it simply wouldn't cross my mind to ask someone to disconnect from a public charger so that I could plug in. But then, I wouldn't ever allow myself to get into a situation where I might need to either.

gizmo555 wrote:

That is a cheap, immature and bull**** comment

Well, that's very kind of you, but in my view it's just facilitating fellow road users to be disorganised.

Someone who's rushing like that just hasn't allowed enough time for their journey. Another poster talked about a driver begging him in a "panic" to let him use a charger, or else he'd be late for work.

Well, I don't actually think letting him was dong him any favour at all. On the contrary, it's encouraging him to remain disorganised and stressed. If he'd been declined, maybe he'd have learned from his mistake.

I have an EV and it simply wouldn't cross my mind to ask someone to disconnect from a public charger so that I could plug in. But then, I wouldn't ever allow myself to get into a situation where I might need to either.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Being human, I'm liable to make the odd miscalculation. Sometimes there might even be unforeseen circumstances. I would hope for some grace if I ever need it.

I'm glad that your perfect, insular world works for you. May you never need the good graces of a fellow human being. I wish you well on your travels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont see the problem with asking the person ahead of you how long they intend to be there. you dont know if they wil be there 15min or 1 hr or longer. i dont see why anyone would mind once there was no pressure to get you to shorten your stay.

i dont see the problem with asking the person ahead of you how long they intend to be there. you dont know if they wil be there 15min or 1 hr or longer. i dont see why anyone would mind once there was no pressure to get you to shorten your stay.

I would imagine that is because you have normalised social capabilities and have the ability to interact with other humans. I think that the vast majority of other humans thankfully share your view

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When I used public chargers I always went out of my way to let the other driver know that I’d be another 5, 10, 15 mins or so. Or if I’ve just plugged in and will be 25 mins.

The worse part of public charging is the unknown. Not knowing if the guy in front of you will be 5 mins or 60 mins.

i dont see the problem with asking the person ahead of you how long they intend to be there.

I agree that asking someone how long they intend to be charging is perfectly reasonable. You might want to decide whether to wait at one charger or drive on to another. Or perhaps, if you've no choice but to wait, you'd like to know how long to expect to be waiting.

And maybe, realising that you're waiting, the other driver will politely decide not to charge for as long as they might have otherwise or, like Silent Running, be kind enough to offer you to start charging now.

But directly asking someone to disconnect and let me charge now, so that I don't have to wait, is another thing entirely. I simply wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Which is the current problem with EVs...you don't need to plan with an ICE car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To me that is unacceptable risk.

I have to agree with you there. I would find it acceptable if it was just me driving, but with the whole family unboard it's an unacceptable risk

That's why I just don't go beyond the range of the car anymore with the family if it would mean a single point of failure. A broken or in use charger and no other chargers reachable

An immediate fix of this problem would be charging for charging. It would give the network the 6-12 months breathing space it needs until more multiple bay fast charge points are installed...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    I have to agree with you there. I would find it acceptable if it was just me driving, but with the whole family unboard it's an unacceptable risk

That's why I just don't go beyond the range of the car anymore with the family if it would mean a single point of failure. A broken or in use charger and no other chargers reachable

An immediate fix of this problem would be charging for charging. It would give the network the 6-12 months breathing space it needs until more multiple bay fast charge points are installed...

I agree with you up to the charging for charging, I'm not convinced charging for charging will fix the broken chargers situation and that is unfortunately a random fact of EV chargers at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would imagine that is because you have normalised social capabilities and have the ability to interact with other humans. I think that the vast majority of other humans thankfully share your view
    Even for me, someone who does not have normal social capability (I have ASD) , I would still consider this normal protocol and have been on the giving and receiving end of said question in the past.
    Perfectly normal.

I would not ask them to disconnect but "fear of the unknown" is worse than even knowing you have an unavoidable 30+ min wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For fast chargers they should auto unlock after 30 mins so someone else can start charging
    and you should be charged for anytime you are connected after the 30 mins, irrespective if you are taking power or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

unkel wrote: »

Good to hear that someone who drives an EV is willing to say there is a wee problem and that the king mightn't have all their clothes on. Instead of the 'everything is hunky dory'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a massive problem to be fair. If I were in the market for a new main family car today, I would try and hold off until there was a solution.

It wasn't a problem until sometime last year and it hopefully will be resolved very soon. It's just a problem in Ireland, most other EU countries are fine. And it's a self imposed problem caused by having free charging (matched with a rapidly increasing number of EVs on the road)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Good to hear that someone who drives an EV is willing to say there is a wee problem and that the king mightn't have all their clothes on. Instead of the 'everything is hunky dory'.

You obviously don’t spend much time in the EV forums as there are many of us who have posted the same over the months gone by.

BarryD2 wrote: »

you're in a tread which was explicitly created to discuss the problem of charging EVs.....full of EV drivers who are all telling personal stories of problems with charging....and then you claim that it's good that one person finally admits there is a problem? seriously wtf? Is it just me that is confused?

you're in a tread which was explicitly created to discuss the problem of charging EVs.....full of EV drivers who are all telling personal stories of problems with charging....and then you claim that it's good that one person finally admits there is a problem? seriously wtf? Is it just me that is confused?

No, it's Barry. :D

I very seldom have problems charging, but I do have the odd short wait. Everyone knows that the present system has it's problems.... well nearly everyone.

Ecars think it's fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

so i went to use a charge point at a local train station last might (just after 8pm) & it was blocked by 2 cars. outlander & a leaf. Both of which were fully charged & probably sitting there all day.

As parking is free in that station for charging EVs, i guess this saves them daily parking rates & gets a free charge.

If they were unlocked when charged, i could have parked beside them & charged for the hour or so i was around. Slightly frustrating, but I guess these are designed to be blocked for the day like this by a couple of commuters.

daheff wrote: »
    so i went to use a charge point at a local train station last might (just after 8pm) & it was blocked by 2 cars. outlander & a leaf. Both of which were fully charged & probably sitting there all day.

As parking is free in that station for charging EVs, i guess this saves them daily parking rates & gets a free charge.

If they were unlocked when charged, i could have parked beside them & charged for the hour or so i was around. Slightly frustrating, but I guess these are designed to be blocked for the day like this by a couple of commuters.

Places like train stations which people would be gone all day to work should have rows of slow chargers.

This is intended functionality of a charger at a train station.
    The solution is more chargers, not changing user behavior.

daheff wrote: »

Is parking all day really free?

Is parking all day really free?
    For 24 hours it is free parking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 FOTW

The owner of the Holycross service station in Waterford is removing his ESB Fast charger as there have been to many instances of people hogging the charger for hours on end. Also if the charger is down he and his staff get abuse from people even though they have nothing to do with the running of it.

The final straw was when he confronted one user who was parking his car plugged in for 8-12 hours several days a week pulled a gun on him.

Personally I have only had great experiences at fast chargers, with most people happy to move their car or leaving notes saying they will be back in 20-30 minutes. However I've only owned a EV for about 2 months and only fast charged maybe 4-5 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

FOTW wrote: »
    The owner of the Holycross service station in Waterford is removing his ESB Fast charger as there have been to many instances of people hogging the charger for hours on end. Also if the charger is down he and his staff get abuse from people even though they have nothing to do with the running of it.

The final straw was when he confronted one user who was parking his car plugged in for 8-12 hours several days a week pulled a gun on him.

I've heard lots of stories where that charger plays a central role. Apparently one EV went on fire, but it must have been contained, otherwise I'm sure I'd have seen scorch marks, melted plastic, etc. when I was there the next day. There never seems to be so much drama generated by other FCPs around the country. I thought I just heard these stories because it's the closest one to where I live, but I've heard a lot on this forum about that charger and stories about picnic tables, excessive speed, and now this firearm.

To be honest, I prefer when chargers are in shared locations like shopping centre car parks, council car parks, or motorway services. If that charger is going to be removed, I would think the Butlerstown retail park (where Harvey Norman, Homestore and More, etc. are) would be a good location, though it might be a bit isolated if you were there late at night, and also I think they close that car park overnight to deter doughnutters).

The owner of that location has been shown to be an unreasonable person on multiple occasions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 FOTW

ELM327 wrote: »
    The owner of that location has been shown to be an unreasonable person on multiple occasions

He seemed nice enough, never had much dealings with him though other then getting petrol and lunch there occasionally.

I think all he wants is for people to obey the 1 hour limit, not to hassle his staff if the charger is down and not point a firearm at him when he asks them to move their car after they have been parked there for several hours.

One thing about this charger I went there at 10pm at night and its pitch black, I absolutely creased myself tripping over the concrete lip. It really could do with some lighting if it continues to stay there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume they got the car reg of the person who pulled a gun on them and passed it on to the guards....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think all he wants is for people to obey the 1 hour limit,

Why does he care about that though. The charger isnt his and is owned/maintained by eCars. He shouldnt be troubling himself with it and just put up a notice to say contact eCars for any issues.

Sounds like he is getting too involved and could easily avoid hassle if he wanted to.

not to hassle his staff if the charger is down and not point a firearm at him when he asks them to move their car after they have been parked there for several hours.

That firearm story seems a little far fetched to me. You'd go to jail for that. Are you sure its true or something you heard on the grapevine?

• Advertisement
Advertisement