Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hogging a chargepoint

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 FOTW

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume they got the car reg of the person who pulled a gun on them and passed it on to the guards....

yeah apparently he said he called the guards and gave them all the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I presume they got the car reg of the person who pulled a gun on them and passed it on to the guards....

I'll take "things that never happened" for 500, Jim.
    If you catch my drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

An easy fix is to put a time limit on public chargers, say 45 minutes/1 hr. After that parking charges apply as well.

And the way to control the parking charges - and collect them - is through your smart card when you hook up. Once you hit the time limit, let the network sock it to you for a sum (...a sum that would make you not want to leave it there).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

FOTW wrote: »
    Also if the charger is down he and his staff get abuse from people even though they have nothing to do with the running of it.

The final straw was when he confronted one user who was parking his car plugged in for 8-12 hours several days a week

Are they not contradictory? Either the FCP is nothing to do with him, or it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The owner of the Holycross service station in Waterford is removing his ESB Fast charger as there have been to many instances of people hogging the charger for hours on end. Also if the charger is down he and his staff get abuse from people even though they have nothing to do with the running of it.

The final straw was when he confronted one user who was parking his car plugged in for 8-12 hours several days a week pulled a gun on him.

Personally I have only had great experiences at fast chargers, with most people happy to move their car or leaving notes saying they will be back in 20-30 minutes. However I've only owned a EV for about 2 months and only fast charged maybe 4-5 times.

I'm assuming there's CCTV, and the owner reported to Gardaí?

I think the gun story is made up by him to justify its removal.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Are they not contradictory? Either the FCP is nothing to do with him, or it is.

I think their two different things the running and maintenance of it wouldn't be up to him. However if someone is parking there for 12+ hours I think he has every right to ask them not to do it again. Especially if other EV owners are coming into his service station complaining to him and his staff about a particular EV sitting there all day hogging the charger.

As for it being true or not I wouldn't know I only can go by what he said apparently it happened Saturday just gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Software and engineering tinkering of charging units will solve everything.

Plug your car in beyond permitted time and the charger then drains your battery into the unit or diverts it to whatever car is charging nearby, if there's no other car charging, goes back to the grid. If you leave it so long that your car is totally drained a message goes to those absolute c*nts the clampers who will gladly take the business and your car is removed...same as if you have no parking ticket. Everyone a winner here.

Pure genius. Nobel nominations accepted...thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anyone who's ever seen it knows that charge point is a national embarrassment. Glad to see it go (provided it is moved to a more suitable location in the area)

I think their two different things the running and maintenance of it wouldn't be up to him. However if someone is parking there for 12+ hours I think he has every right to ask them not to do it again. Especially if other EV owners are coming into his service station complaining to him and his staff about a particular EV sitting there all day hogging the charger.

As for it being true or not I wouldn't know I only can go by what he said apparently it happened Saturday just gone.

I have my doubts about this story. Firstly I was there twice last Saturday and there was no one hogging it either time so if he was there for 12+ hours I'm surprised I missed him.

And I'm just not sure I buy the whole gun bit. While I'm sure there is some scum in Waterford driving round with guns... I'm just not convinced they're the type that are really into EVs but admittedly it's far from my area of expertise.

All I can say is, as a woman who passes there regularly and stops there occasionally, I've only ever had very nice experiences with other EV owners coming and going. Whether morning or late at night I've never had a care. It's rare I've had to queue behind even one car and on that odd occassion the other driver has always informed me how long they'll be or in a friendly manner let me know if the card reader isn't working etc or had a little chat.

I pass by it very regularly also and have a habit now of glancing in and I've never noticed one car hanging around.

I do know some people who avoid that garage at all costs because the manager is so incredibly rude. Fortunately I've never dealt with him myself.

All the same I wouldn't mind seeing it moved somewhere else like around Harvey Norman as someone suggested. It is a bit of mess where that charger is and there's no lighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Is parking all day really free?

in some. not all.

i guess if all were free & there were rows of chargers that irish rail would be losing out on a lot of parking fees. And they couldn't be doing that......

i was just surprised both points were still used at 8.30 on a wed evening

• Advertisement

I'd be happy if it was moved away from that garage. The owner is a moron who has been resistant from day 1. If the charger is moved it means no incidental purchases from EV owners. Generally when I charge somewhere Ibuy coffees snacks etc. Especially with the kids in the car.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd be happy if it was moved away from that garage. The owner is a moron who has been resistant from day 1. If the charger is moved it means no incidental purchases from EV owners. Generally when I charge somewhere Ibuy coffees snacks etc. Especially with the kids in the car.

Yeah the retail park would be great place especially that they are building a Costa down there. I think the gates are open all night now. They used to close them but they kept getting vandalised when they were closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yeah the retail park would be great place especially that they are building a Costa down there. I think the gates are open all night now. They used to close them but they kept getting vandalised when they were closed.

Oh please don't move any rapid chargers into retail parks. They will be hogged all day by people leaving the car "charging" while they spend hours shopping. You only have to look at Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 niall_eidw

Well, well, well...

Just passed the 22kW charger outside Heuston Stn, on my way out of town that there were two Hyundai Ionic's.... CLAMPED!!

I had passed them about 2.5 hours earlier, they were both there charging...

Niall

Yea, banks of slow chargers are more appropriate for shopping centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

daheff wrote: »
    in some. not all.

i guess if all were free & there were rows of chargers that irish rail would be losing out on a lot of parking fees. And they couldn't be doing that......

i was just surprised both points were still used at 8.30 on a wed evening

I suppose at this stage pay parking destination/slow chargers should pay for parking same as everyone else, (and it should always be cheaper to charge at home than in public)

Might encourage irish rail Ect, to have more charge points,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

unkel wrote: »
    Anyone who's ever seen it knows that charge point is a national embarrassment. Glad to see it go (provided it is moved to a more suitable location in the area)

Would think Red Bridge would be a better location if its still open ?
    Just off a main rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

No evidence of anyone being plugged in for that length in the cpinfo data.

However, he did tell me that there was someone with a Kangoo (7 kw charger only) plugging in for hours at a time.

ei9go wrote: »
    No evidence of anyone being plugged in for that length in the cpinfo data.

However, he did tell me that there was someone with a Kangoo (7 kw charger only) plugging in for hours at a time.

I didn’t think a Kangoo has a fast charger connection?
    Ours only has the type 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

kceire wrote: »
    I didn’t think a mango has a fast charger connection?
    Ours only has the type 2?

Best autocorrect ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

LOL and there's me having to go to bolands the week after next and was going to use that charger..

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thank God the i3 automatically unlocks the cable when full. Had to unplug them once they filled up as the owner was nowhere to be seen. Fast charger was dribbling in a meesly 1kw/h into the i3 towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I visited the Sallins train station charger as I did not have enough juice to make it home after a spin from Kerry. Closest FCP was toast.

2 old leafs charging, one was plugged in and finished, the other charging. As I was pulling up close to disconnect and charge a lady arrived in a new leaf 40, driven by another lady. She got out with guilt splattered all over her face, and they swapped the cars, charging up the 40. I've never seen such an obvious case of charge point farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

jusmeig wrote: »
    I visited the Sallins train station charger as I did not have enough juice to make it home after a spin from Kerry. Closest FCP was toast.

2 old leafs charging, one was plugged in and finished, the other charging. As I was pulling up close to disconnect and charge a lady arrived in a new leaf 40, driven by another lady. She got out with guilt splattered all over her face, and they swapped the cars, charging up the 40. I've never seen such an obvious case of charge point farming.

And did you spake up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

jusmeig wrote: »

Strategically works perfectly until god forbid someone stubbornly queues to access the chargepoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

creedp wrote: »
    Strategically works perfectly until god forbid someone stubbornly queues to access the chargepoint

Was it you Strategically farming the point :)
    When your car finishes charging you move out of the point? Not leave it for hours. Charge for charging ftw!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

galwaytt wrote: »
    An easy fix is to put a time limit on public chargers, say 45 minutes/1 hr. After that parking charges apply as well.

And the way to control the parking charges - and collect them - is through your smart card when you hook up. Once you hit the time limit, let the network sock it to you for a sum (...a sum that would make you not want to leave it there).

I was watching an episode of RichRebuilds on YouTube last night where he took his Tesla to a fast charger for the first time. Tesla charges you 40c a minute if you go over your time charging.
    Very funny episode
    https://youtu.be/2veXRtY44T8

I was watching an episode of RichRebuilds on YouTube last night where he took his Tesla to a fast charger for the first time. Tesla charges you 40c a minute if you go over your time charging.
    Very funny episode
    https://youtu.be/2veXRtY44T8

A brilliant feature if you ask me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Went up to the fast charger in Blanchardstown shopping centre. Before I went up I can could see on ESB charge map that the "blue" icon was free. Arrived to find a Mitsubishi outlander phev in the electric spot plugged into the fast charger not charging.

I've given up on the public charge system, from now on I make sure I've a enough range or a supercharger is on my journey.

username?! wrote: »
    Went up to the fast charger in Blanchardstown shopping centre. Before I went up I can could see on ESB charge map that the "blue" icon was free. Arrived to find a Mitsubishi outlander phev in the electric spot plugged into the fast charger not charging.

I've given up on the public charge system, from now on I make sure I've a enough range or a supercharger is on my journey.

And here is where "Tesla charges you 40c a minute if you go over your time charging. " becomes a great idea!

• Advertisement

Recently I pulled in to Coynes Cross on the way to Dublin. There was a blue Ioniq on the charger, no sign of a driver, so I waited. The charger clicked off, so I was already pissed off that the arsehole had abandoned his car to fully charge, without returning.

I pulled his plug and tried to move my car to a place where the plug would reach. No joy as the cable in Coynes Cross is very short and the blue Ioniq was in the only place possible to charge. Eventually the driver returned and said "I was having a breakfast" Well for him, as I was waiting for an arsehole to return to his car so I could get a charge.

I hate travelling in and around Dublin now. I feel sorry for any EV driver that has to do it on a daily basis. The amount of ignorant and inconsiderate asswipes at chargers beggars belief!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In fairness with that one at least they had it set to unlock the charger when it was done, many wouldn't even bother doing that.

The real issue there imo is that you can only charge an Ioniq in the left bay, you would have been fine but for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

And here is where "Tesla charges you 40c a minute if you go over your time charging. " becomes a great idea!

This person hadn't even bothered to turn on the charger, just plugged it in. I'm guessing they just wanted a spot close to the door.

In fairness with that one at least they had it set to unlock the charger when it was done, many wouldn't even bother doing that.

The real issue there imo is that you can only charge an Ioniq in the left bay, you would have been fine but for that.
    This is the default for Ioniq.

username?! wrote: »

Just passed by there and there is an egolf on the CCS and a Zoe and Kona on the SCP. Interestingly the Zoe used the SCP and not the fast AC so it must be an R model.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is the default for Ioniq.

Yeah I would expect lots of people turn it off though. I'd only have it on if I was using a rapid charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah I would expect lots of people turn it off though.

You can't. It automatically disconnects when at 94% on a CCS charger (at that stage the car is only charging at about 20kW or a bit below - all rapids should disconnect when going below 20kW imho - either that or force you to pay big fines for overstaying :cool:)

You can't. It automatically disconnects when at 94% on a CCS charger (at that stage the car is only charging at about 20kW or a bit below - all rapids should disconnect when going below 20kW imho)

You sure about that? I know it stops the charge at 94% but I didn't think it unlock the cars charge port unless you had auto lock (or whatever it's called) switched on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

When can we start naming and shaming? I'm currently parked next to a blue egolf in Blanch. I've been here since 12:15 and the car was fully charged when I arrived. I'm heading back to work now and the car is still sitting here at 1pm not f*"#ing charging...

tedpan wrote: »
    When can we start naming and shaming? I'm currently parked next to a blue egolf in Blanch. I've been here since 12:15 and the car was fully charged when I arrived. I'm heading back to work now and the car is still sitting here at 1pm not f*"#ing charging...

That car (egolf) arrived at 11:15 as I was behind it on the roundabout.
    Expecting to get a fast charge in Blanch at lunchtime is quite frankly nonsensical and I hope you were not relying upon it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

You can't. It automatically disconnects when at 94% on a CCS charger (at that stage the car is only charging at about 20kW or a bit below - all rapids should disconnect when going below 20kW imho - either that or force you to pay big fines for overstaying :cool:)

I normally unplug once I hit around 16kw which equates to about 85% SOC unless I need the extra range and no one is waiting. IMO leaving a car at an FCP not charging or trickle charging is at best very poor form

I3 was charging at a shade over 1Kw when I arrived at the Rochestown, Cork charger.

Zap-Map app was very handy in this case. The 2 local chargers to me were both in use, but Zap-Map showed me the Rochestown one had been in use for the last 20 minutes (vs "started 2 minutes ago" on my other option), so chances were they'd be finished first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It may hurt earlier Leaf drivers, but 20c a min on a rapid from when you authenticate, to when you use your card to sign out will quickly change everyone's behaviour.

Speaking of which... has there been any indication of what the charging structure will be if/when charging starts? The last I heard was that charging will begin next month. You would expect some information in the run up to the system being activated.

You sure about that? I know it stops the charge at 94% but I didn't think it unlock the cars charge port unless you had auto lock (or whatever it's called) switched on.

I unplugged an Ioniq at 94% a year or 2 ago in Clonshaugh.
    I sat there waiting fr the owner from 75% and no return. I charged my Leaf at the time and they still had not returned by the time I went.

kceire wrote: »
    I unplugged an Ioniq at 94% a year or 2 ago in Clonshaugh.
    I sat there waiting fr the owner from 75% and no return. I charged my Leaf at the time and they still had not returned by the time I went.

Ah, the fond memories when the Clonshaugh charger worked on CCS. :p

liamog wrote: »
    It may hurt earlier Leaf drivers, but 20c a min on a rapid from when you authenticate, to when you use your card to sign out will quickly change everyone's behaviour.

Hurts those with smaller batteries. I smaller battery car will get to a point where it's at a reduced charging rate, faster than larger battery cars. Thus taking more time to put the same amount of electricity into it.

Certainly a fee for "hogging a cable", but i'm not sure what a fair system looks like when actually using the charger.

liamog wrote: »
    This is a great idea, like the "touch on touch off" leap card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

This is a great idea, like the "touch on touch off" leap card

IMHO they could even consider LEAP cards if charger would support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

September1 wrote: »
    IMHO they could even consider LEAP cards if charger would support them.

Apparently, according to ECars support, touching any RFID card other than their own issued cards causes the charger to nigh on explode, crashs the software & renders the charger unusable until an engineer calls, the following week :eek:.

A Leap card would probably crash the whole network or worse still, the national grid :D.

Advertisement