Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickens killed

• 26-03-2019 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Found my 5 chickens dead in run this morning,not a single feather ruffled just a single bite on the back of the neck ,I am about 500m from a 12 acres of a young oak plantation which is being thinned ,would this be a pine martin ,I did see one there about 2 years ago , any idea of trapping it and relocating it somewhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

sounds like a pine martin alrite,same happened my dads hens years ago.all up around the kneck was where the were killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pine martens are protected - talk to NPWS to see what can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

best to lock them in at nite and not leave them out in the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

Classic signs of a Mink attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Sounds like a mink alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Probably a Pine Marten alright. As said, they are protected, so all you can do is proof your pen and lock chickens in at night.

As for mink, decent cage trap set tight to pen, with fish as bait. Sardines in sunflower oil works well. Most predators will go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Eddie B wrote: »
    Probably a Pine Marten alright. As said, they are protected, so all you can do is proof your pen and lock chickens in at night.

As for mink, decent cage trap set tight to pen, with fish as bait. Sardines in sunflower oil works well. Most predators will go for it.
    Could you just trap the Pine Martin in the same cage trap and then relocate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭allenview

Don't think it is a mink no streams or rivers near me , have chickens here for the last 20 years have the odd clear out with a fox but never had a pine martin kill till now , Fox usually leaves a feathered mess all over the place , the pine martin was like a sniper .

Don't think it is a mink no streams or rivers near me , have chickens here for the last 20 years have the odd clear out with a fox but never had a pine martin kill till now , Fox usually leaves a feathered mess all over the place , the pine martin was like a sniper .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kran wrote: »
    Could you just trap the Pine Martin in the same cage trap and then relocate it?
    Not during breeding season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

allenview wrote: »

Mink will wander up any drain and can range a far bit. The Curlew project I'm working with is trapping alot the last 2 years near roadside ditches/drains. Your best bet is to set-up a trail cam and bait a mink trap as outlined by others. If you get anything else contact the NPWS and let them deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

My place is 2 miles from any water source and laying hens, pheasants/partridges have been attacked here every year here..usually around late summer/autumn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Often the pine marten can fit in but can't get the birds out same space. He will come back and feed and try to bring the birds again. I'm haunted with them here. I've a new dog around the pens now so they'll do well to get past her but they mostly come from above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Pine Martin kill.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I think the pine Martin return last night as I left the dead hens in a bag ,he tore a hole in the bottom of the bag ,dragged out 1chicken and tore out the breasts but left the carcass behind , so I left a mink trap set for the night ,if I catch anything I will let ye know ,I used an egg and some mince beef as bait .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ju_Ju

If the Allen in your username is Allen in co. Kildare, it could be either mink or marten. The surrounding countryside is full of both.

I'm not too far away from you. My chicken run got fleeced by a marten last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Any updates op?

Advertisement