Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doe and van doe tests

Options
  • 26-03-2019 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

does anyone know how much difference there is between the tests for a campervan and a van.i am looking at the possibility of changing my camper back to a van(personal reasons)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Same test AFAIK,
    FYI Private insurance on commercial vehicles is difficult to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sales on campers would be strong at the moment.
    You should get a decent price and be able to trade up a few years with surplus cash from campervan sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

bugsntinas wrote: »
    does anyone know how much difference there is between the tests for a campervan and a van.i am looking at the possibility of changing my camper back to a van(personal reasons)

The only difference is the price.
    Campervan = €93.15
    Commercial Van ≤3.500kg GVW = €111.16
    Commercial Van >3.500kg GVW = €168.26

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah sell it and by a van. Far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Further question on campervan test folks hope it's ok to jump in here,

Does a camper have to have it's guts installed for the test, or can I send it in stripped bare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Further question on campervan test folks hope it's ok to jump in here,

Does a camper have to have it's guts installed for the test, or can I send it in stripped bare?

What do you mean by 'guts'

niloc1951 wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'guts'

Bed, hob, sink, fridge, storage etc,

As in just sending it in as an empty van - It's a registered conversion

Edit - for clarity, the van is undergoing extensive restoration work, I would like to test it before refitting everything incase the CVRT show up something I have missed that would require pulling everything back out again

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Just explain that to cvrt fellas they are human afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Should make no real difference apart from weights.
    What they mainly test is the running and stopping gear and lights.
    basically anything under the vehicle and any external lights.
    It will be well below the weights anyway!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Should make no real difference apart from weights.
    What they mainly test is the running and stopping gear and lights.
    basically anything under the vehicle and any external lights.
    It will be well below the weights anyway!

Grand job, cheers!

It will definitely weigh feck all, rust is lighter than steel after all :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

Grand job, cheers!

It will definitely weigh feck all, rust is lighter than steel after all :pac:

hate to pee on you're fire but if it isn't a camper as in have the minimum requires then the insurance isn't valid.mine is registered as a camper but has also been gutted and i can't get insurance. can't get camper insurance as need engineers report and can't get that as it technically isn't a camper and can't get van insurance as it's not a van.this has led to me having massive issues just trying to get it to the test centre and when i did they wouldn't test it as the weights weren't on the plate.

bugsntinas wrote: »
    hate to pee on you're fire but if it isn't a camper as in have the minimum requires then the insurance isn't valid.mine is registered as a camper but has also been gutted and i can't get insurance. can't get camper insurance as need engineers report and can't get that as it technically isn't a camper and can't get van insurance as it's not a van.this has led to me having massive issues just trying to get it to the test centre and when i did they wouldn't test it as the weights weren't on the plate.

It'll not be insured at the time anyway, i'll be bringing it to the test on a trailer.

It'll not be insured at the time anyway, i'll be bringing it to the test on a trailer.

that makes life easier.mines too big for a trailer as she's 23ft long.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

I would be very surprised if they gave you a cert for a stripped van as in conversation with cvrt testers they have mentioned how many converted trucks which were really day vans or race vans have been failed and they appear to have to confirm it is a camper.

zambo wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if they gave you a cert for a stripped van as in conversation with cvrt testers they have mentioned how many converted trucks which were really day vans or race vans have been failed and they appear to have to confirm it is a camper.

when i took mine down the tester didn't mention about that only the lack of weights which is now causing me problems

Advertisement