Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

rob316 wrote: »
    Fans: Conor needs to be more respectful

Conor is respectful to his opponent.

Fans: Boring

Cant win can he.

Of course he cannot win.

People like trash talk, people like respectful talk. Nothing unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Cant win can he.

McGregor wins ...yeah but he won't beat so and so

McGregor loses....haha told you so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Butson wrote: »

"grappling with strange men in underpants".

As Irish an article as you'll get. For some reason, we hate new things. MMA still being a new thing. New things are scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seeing articles like this (and some of the ones from the Indo etc) truly show that McGregor literally keeps some people in jobs.

'I feed yous bums' was a quote he used in that awards thing a few years ago.

..and the even better; 'Thank you, and Thank me'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Have to say, in the lead up to this fight I have been quite apathetic but the fight week stuff definitely has me excited now.

Gimmick or not, I'm liking McGregor's new zen style and Cowboy is just an incredibly likable and respectful character.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Have to say, in the lead up to this fight I have been quite apathetic but the fight week stuff definitely has me excited now.

Gimmick or not, I'm liking McGregor's new zen style and Cowboy is just an incredibly likable and respectful character.

Theres so much riding on this for McGregor too. Simply has to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Allegedly, Sure for over 2 years he had a kid in Liverpool that was his double.

True haha I could not believe that kid was not his lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I just watched the Press Conference and enjoyed it.

Many of the "Analysts" asking the questions got snuffed out and embarrassed.

They get paid for their clicks and hits on Social Media so it hurts them to have no story.

I found it very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Cant win can he.

Also fans : He is so humble. What a nice guy.

While he gets himself in trouble time and time again.

Fans now : wow he is so humble now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interesting tidbit here how he said about keeping his hands up now to improve stamina in his shoulders. Noticed the hands up in the fight prep alright, will be very interesting to see how it works.

Also, I wish someone would ask him why he picked Cowboy for his return fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cowboy with a 10-8 against MMA media

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

He hates to say he changed, he is the same but different (but motivated).

Was strange enough, only watched this morning, did he turn up on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Re the press conference, I thought it was fine, it was what it was supposed to be. Press conferences aren't supposed to be "entertainment" for pissed up ****.If it's a choice between yesterday's effort and "Here José, how does your pussy smell?" I know which one I'd like to watch.

*awaits post telling me I must be some craic at parties etc etc*

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    He hates to say he changed, he is the same but different (but motivated).

Was strange enough, only watched this morning, did he turn up on time?

Yeah. Entered from the same side as Cerrone too.

Coming off a loss and with all the other crap around him the trash talking McGregor would look like old hat. Hes playing it smart.

If he wins this though I think we'll see the trash talker back.
    Re the press conference, I thought it was fine, it was what it was supposed to be. Press conferences aren't supposed to be "entertainment" for pissed up ****.If it's a choice between yesterday's effort and "Here José, how does your pussy smell?" I know which one I'd like to watch.

"Smell o' shíte off yer Da"
    was funny mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Interesting tidbit here how he said about keeping his hands up now to improve stamina in his shoulders. Noticed the hands up in the fight prep alright, will be very interesting to see how it works.

Also, I wish someone would ask him why he picked Cowboy for his return fight...

I think it's a bit of a compromise he has probably agreed to; can't thrust him straight back into the title picture, so take a fight that will result in a decent feather being added to his cap, against an opponent who should be well beatable for him if he strikes as smart and slick as he is capable of.

Cerrone is doing nothing more than acting as gatekeeper here IMO. Very winnable fight against a very solid veteran that will generate enough momentum behind Conor to justify putting him back into contention against the winner of Tony v Khabib.

Only other option I see is he is testing the waters again to see how he feels at WW this time, before fully committing to chasing the Masvidal fight, again using Cerrone as a bit of a gatekeeper.

Also think the claims a couple of pages back about Cerrone being one of the best strikers in the game are a bit of a stretch. When thinking of the best strikers in the game historically, you're talking Aldo in his prime, Machida, Shogun, Silva, Cro Cop in his prime, DJ, even Wonderboy when he is on form, Fedor, Wanderlei etc. Cerrone is good, but one of the best in the game? Not even close IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pretty sure Cerrone has the record for head kick KOs. Seems a decent striker to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Don't recall anyone saying he wasn't decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ush1 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Cerrone has the record for head kick KOs. Seems a decent striker to me.
    He is decent, no one is denying that.
    Being called one of the best strikers is what's being debated, as he is not.

When you fight as often as he does, you will inevitability pick up a few records along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Oh god, that’s a tough read. Snobbery in the extreme.

It’s a combat sport where lads from places like crumlin and Stockton slap each other around a ring, don’t over think it mate.

• Advertisement

A ****ty MMA arcticle written by someone who is not an MMA fan.
    I am shocked. Shocked I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I heard his press conference socks bore a logo with a monkey on it.

2016 was the year of the monkey...and that was the year he became a two-weight champ.

It's written in the stars!!1!1!

And on his socks.

If you actually read the article though it asks a question we're all interested in finding out the answer to though: is McGregor "still a thing"?

There is 100% a sense in my opinion that the bandwagon has, whilst not stopping completely, slowed to a considerable degree. Saturday night gives us a chance to see not only what he's like as a fighter but how "relevant" he remains. People will be poring over buy rates, social media stats, travel behaviour of Irish fans etc. A couple of wins and the prosoect of a title fight could have the wagon rolling at full speed again in no time at all but there's this sense that all but the most devoted McGregor fanboys (we see you in your UFC fightwear) are just a bit worn out by the nonsense and inactivity of the last few years.

I heard his press conference socks bore a logo with a monkey on it.

2016 was the year of the monkey...and that was the year he became a two-weight champ.

It's written in the stars!!1!1!

And on his socks.

If you look even closer, they say "**** COWBOY"

Conor has been rocked by slaps, a head kick will stiffen him, so I presume his team are looking at avoiding that ... obviously.

One thing watching the Diaz/Eddie/Khabib fights is Conor has habit of dodging jabs all to his right. Now he’s fairly centred when he does this so I’m not sure a simple trap will do but you can bet cowboy will be looking for it. That’s what I’ll be interested to see, cuz Conor has repeatedly says he trains for his own skills and not his opponent, so how will he try to avoid those hooks and front kicks..

Equally I reckon we’ll see a ton of teeps to manage that distance from Conor - depending on his knee.

If you actually read the article though it asks a question we're all interested in finding out the answer to though: is McGregor "still a thing"?

There is 100% a sense in my opinion that the bandwagon has, whilst not stopping completely, slowed to a considerable degree. Saturday night gives us a chance to see not only what he's like as a fighter but how "relevant" he remains. People will be poring over buy rates, social media stats, travel behaviour of Irish fans etc. A couple of wins and the prosoect of a title fight could have the wagon rolling at full speed again in no time at all but there's this sense that all but the most devoted McGregor fanboys (we see you in your UFC fightwear) are just a bit worn out by the nonsense and inactivity of the last few years.

If he does make 80mil from a glorified exhibition with a ufc vet, then yes, yes McGregor is still a thing.

Don’t think you need yo have fanboy (or even fans?) to be a draw.

.ak wrote: »
    Conor has been rocked by slaps, a head kick will stiffen him, so I presume his team are looking at avoiding that ... obviously.

One thing watching the Diaz/Eddie/Khabib fights is Conor has habit of dodging jabs all to his right. Now he’s fairly centred when he does this so I’m not sure a simple trap will do but you can bet cowboy will be looking for it. That’s what I’ll be interested to see, cuz Conor has repeatedly says he trains for his own skills and not his opponent, so how will he try to avoid those hooks and front kicks..

Equally I reckon we’ll see a ton of teeps to manage that distance from Conor - depending on his knee.
    He has a reasonably good chin on him, he took Khabibs overhand pretty well and had his eyes locked on Khabib by the time his hand touched the mat.
    Granted, a shin to the side of the head is a bit harder, but we'll see if he gets caught out. I can see many teeps to drain Cowboy, who's known to not handle body shots all that well. Conor's teep is horrible as well, stabs you with his toes kinda style.

Making 80m because he capitalised on the height of his fame to secure himself the best deals with UFC and commercial partners has absolutely no relevance to whether or the wider population of MMA fans or the general population are as interested in him as they were three years ago, which was the thrust of my post. But sure change the goalposts all you like there.

My point about fanboys was that pretty much everybody other than the biggest fanboys got a bit bored of him over the last few years; the endless whiskey promotion, the Mayweather fight, **** the Mayweathers, the bus incident, the buildup to the khabib fight, disappearing after the khabib fight etc etc.

Nothing whatsoever to do with how much money he can make himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭xtal191

He mightn't be as big/popular in Ireland as he used to be but he's still huge in America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure you never get invited to any parties in the first place :P

Doesn't seem to be that much about this upcoming event compared to other ones. I wouldn't follow it, but I generally look at the sports pages. So I am aware it is on, it just hasn't been as much "in your face" as it used to be!

Advertisement