Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Kind of sick of hearing there is no hype for this fight. He's not fighting Khabib or Mayweather so obviously it's more tame but it's been pointed out by one of the journos at bloody elbow that the engagement numbers on all the social media platforms are similar to the Khabib fight build up which usually translates to PPV sales. People who love him will pay and the people who hate him will still pay just to get the opportunity to see him get the head kicked off him.

Personally I fall into the latter. Used to be a massive fan of the man but ever since the Khabib stuff and the pub incident I am praying he gets knocked out cold. I don't buy his new humble persona either. I think if this was the Khabib rematch instead of Cowboy we would be seeing the exact same Conor with no difference whatsoever. This fight is just a PR exercise for his brand. Also his constant "Please God" and "God willing" is nothing short of laughable really. Jon Jones pulled off that gimmick better than Conor does and he dropped it soon after his return fight and Conor will drop it just as quick if he gets Masvidal or Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Kind of sick of hearing there is no hype for this fight. He's not fighting Khabib or Mayweather so obviously it's more tame but it's been pointed out by one of the journos at bloody elbow that the engagement numbers on all the social media platforms are similar to the Khabib fight build up which usually translates to PPV sales. People who love him will pay and the people who hate him will still pay just to get the opportunity to see him get the head kicked off him.

Personally I fall into the latter. Used to be a massive fan of the man but ever since the Khabib stuff and the pub incident I am praying he gets knocked out cold. I don't buy his new humble persona either. I think if this was the Khabib rematch instead of Cowboy we would be seeing the exact same Conor with no difference whatsoever. This fight is just a PR exercise for his brand. Also his constant "Please God" and "God willing" is nothing short of laughable really. Jon Jones pulled off that gimmick better than Conor does and he dropped it soon after his return fight and Conor will drop it just as quick if he gets Masvidal or Khabib.

He was like this, for the most part, during the Brandao fight, Porier fight, Holloway fight, Diaz fight (first one), Alvarez fight... so I believe you're suffering from acute recency bias, or you weren't around back then.

The build up to Khabib is the outlier. But I'm in the same boat as you, its hard to root for someone who appears to be a total dickhead, more the incident in the boozer than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

boreder wrote: »
    Spare a thought for those of us paying $60 here in the US. And yes, we pay for other sports channels on top of that too :o

And do you have to do an all nighter to watch them?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And do you have to do an all nighter to watch them?

And did you miss the part where you're paying 30% of the $60 for the inconvenience of being in the GMT timezone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Definitely working on a new image.Usual McGregor mouthing nowhere to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

boreder wrote: »
    He was like this, for the most part, during the Brandao fight, Porier fight, Holloway fight, Diaz fight (first one), Alvarez fight... so I believe you're suffering from acute recency bias, or you weren't around back then.

The build up to Khabib is the outlier. But I'm in the same boat as you, its hard to root for someone who appears to be a total dickhead, more the incident in the boozer than anything else.
    Simple thing I see it is I backed Mc Gregor from the Brandao fight all the way through so I'm not changing that, I back the Mc Gregor that's there on fight week and that's who I'll be backing. He's made personal mistakes like the rest of us, obviously to different extremes but you can support the fighter and not the man. Easy support someone when their on top of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/1218236629728534535?s=19

Just really stark to see them side by side.
    Its like looking at Christian Bale for The Machinist and then for Batman.

Zero Irish fan videos in mainstream media either, the clown ruined himself, he's as marketable as asbestos.

Over 10m gate receipts and embedded on par with Khabib fight so Asbestos must be trending better then you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

one of the journos at bloody elbow

Lol

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/1218236629728534535?s=19

Just really stark to see them side by side.
    Its like looking at Christian Bale for The Machinist and then for Batman.
    Shows how crazy weight cutting is, it's the most dangerous thing in UFC. How he is at 170 is how all fighters should look in their respective weight classes ie: healthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Roughly what time in Irish time is that fight.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Who wins though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Lads I bought ufc246 on sky.
    I'm a bit confused it says it's starting at 11am Sunday? Did I just buy to watch it next day or what.

There were two options to buy on mine, same price.

One looked to be live one, the other the rerun. Having bought the live one it says the other is purchased too.

Is yours the same or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Danis must have injured himself rolling with Conor yesterday. Conor said in the Megan interview one his team got injured and they brought him straight to the doctors to be looked at and is healing up. Next thing danis on crutches...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Shows how crazy weight cutting is, it's the most dangerous thing in UFC. How he is at 170 is how all fighters should look in their respective weight classes ie: healthy

The UFC don't tell fighters what weight class to fight in ......McGregor chose 145, Aldo wasn't recently told he has to fight at 135

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I got a text from eir last night about the ability to purchase the fight through BT im assuming all customers got it but just in case people are still looking for a legit viewing & worried about streams dropping

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The UFC don't tell fighters what weight class to fight in ......McGregor chose 145, Aldo wasn't recently told he has to fight at 135

Nope but still very dangerous.

Roughly what time in Irish time is that fight.thanks

You're looking at the 4:30/5:30am region

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Mellor wrote: »
    I can understand why you’d be confused if you only follow McGregor and not wider MMA fights. This is a fight between LWs at 170.

Nate and Masvidal have been at WW since 2015. They couldn’t make LW.
    Cowboys last 4 or 5 fights have been at LW. He may have added a bit of mass, but not much that quickly during a fight camp.
    Conor can easily make LW. He weighed in at 170 without cutting.

He may well have a plan to move up, and could be using this fight to transition. But criticising a returning LW for not taking on WW is ridiculous

You don't own MMA Mellor, so calm down with "you must be just a Cmg fight fan". I watch pretty much every event, I used to watch every TV show BT had, but I lost BT so was unable to watch them. Cowboy may be fighting at LW for the past few fights, but he still had a weight cut yesterday to make 170. Nate was a LW just the fight before Cmg. I should have thrown Petis into my suggestions too, sure he's fought at FW LW and WW in the not so decent past. My point is and was, Cowboy was the easiest option open to him. I think he's washed up. Way too many miles on the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Be some reading tomorrow in here if Cowboy ends McGregors career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cowboy is an old worm and stale fighter...

Conor can not afford to lose here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Really looking forward to tonight.

I think Conor will put on a clinic and really shine. I love both guys but Conor on form is too dangerous.

From a Cowboy point of view, it depends on who turns up. One fight he looks good and the next he looks like he isn't interested.

With the storm Conor will bring, it will be hard for Cowboy to last. Conor looks like he has really done everything he had to in regards to training.

Great to see Conor back in all his glory!

Really looking forward to tonight.

I think Conor will put on a clinic and really shine. I love both guys but Conor on form is too dangerous.

From a Cowboy point of view, it depends on who turns up. One fight he looks good and the next he looks like he isn't interested.

With the storm Conor will bring, it will be hard for Cowboy to last. Conor looks like he has really done everything he had to in regards to training.

Great to see Conor back in all his glory!
    Agreed, alot are underestimating Conor, he's only two defeats have been vs Diaz and Khabib. He learnt his lesson from Diaz and he knows he needs this to get a shot at Khabib, I hope the Ferguson v Khabib goes ahead, I'd like Conor to prepare proper and for Khabib to finally face Tony.

Anyone else confused as to how to legitimately watch this?

Can I order on virgin media?
    I have a sky box office account as well I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You don't own MMA Mellor, so calm down with "you must be just a Cmg fight fan". I watch pretty much every event, I used to watch every TV show BT had, but I lost BT so was unable to watch them. Cowboy may be fighting at LW for the past few fights, but he still had a weight cut yesterday to make 170. Nate was a LW just the fight before Cmg. I should have thrown Petis into my suggestions too, sure he's fought at FW LW and WW in the not so decent past. My point is and was, Cowboy was the easiest option open to him. I think he's washed up. Way too many miles on the clock.

Own MMA? What are you talking about? You said you were confused. I explained my post for you. :confused:
    I assumed you only tune in for Conor fights because Ive only noticed you in this thread. I’d expect somebody who watches every event to be active in other threads. Apologies if I missed you.

Nate’s last fight at 155 “just before Mcgregor” was in 2015. It’s now 2020.

And Pettis also moved to WW btw. After losing to Tony.
    He may eventually fight those guys. But I stand by my post, calling out a LW for not taking on WW is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Just bet on cowboy, his odds were just too tempting.

The way I see it Conor lives the good life with lots of distractions.
    Cowboy lives on a ranch and trains day in day out with little distracton plus he's a bigger man.

9/4 is too good to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Mellor wrote: »
    Own MMA? What are you talking about? You said you were confused. I explained my post for you. :confused:
    I assumed you only tune in for Conor fights because Ive only noticed you in this thread. I’d expect somebody who watches every event to be active in other threads. Apologies if I missed you.

Nate’s last fight at 155 “just before Mcgregor” was in 2015. It’s now 2020.

And Pettis also moved to WW btw. After losing to Tony.
    He may eventually fight those guys. But I stand by my post, calling out a LW for not taking on WW is complete nonsense.

Sorry, just re read your post. I thought you were belittling me, but I see now you were thinking I didn't understand.

McGregor needs to be open to fighting anyone at WW or LW because he's claiming divisions don't count he also wants the WW title. He was hand selected Cowboy. This is no different to a boxer having a tune up fight to get back into the swing of things, like Jason Quigley a had a fight against a guy who was just there to get knocked out. It's a little harder to do a fight like that in the UFC so Cowboy was thrown into the deep end, he gets a payday and will not stand a chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Conor said after the ceremonial he was excited to go thru the 170 div. really hope he doesn’t and goes back to 155 - i think that’s his best weight. As his nutritionist said before; he needs that hunger from the cut. Khabib, Tony, Piorer etc are all very doable for him. Usman, Woodley, Mas? Can’t see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The way I see it Conor lives the good life with lots of distractions.
    Cowboy lives on a ranch and trains day in day out with little distracton plus he's a bigger man.

9/4 is too good to pass up.

Nah, I'd say the opposite. Cowboy looks like he is just here for a payday and a scrap. Conor is far too focused this time so can only see KO within 3 round or worst case and unanimous points decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Just what they want you to do.

Advertisement