Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Nah, I'd say the opposite. Cowboy looks like he is just here for a payday and a scrap. Conor is far too focused this time so can only see KO within 3 round or worst case and unanimous points decision.

I think Conor needs to knock someone out at 170 to regain his reputation but worst case scenario he improves his cardio with a full fight, he'll be definitely be looking to regain his knockout reputation early doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

.ak wrote: »
    Conor said after the ceremonial he was excited to go thru the 170 div. really hope he doesn’t and goes back to 155 - i think that’s his best weight. As his nutritionist said before; he needs that hunger from the cut. Khabib, Tony, Piorer etc are all very doable for him. Usman, Woodley, Mas? Can’t see it.

I don’t get the pedestal Masvidal is being put on. Hes beat nobody outside of Askren and Cowboy. He was winning the Nate fight but there was still a long way to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sorry, just re read your post. I thought you were belittling me, but I see now you were thinking I didn't understand.
    I genuinely thought you didn’t understand. Sorry if I offended man.
    And I got why somebody might think that. The clickbait media talks about the number only.

I don’t consider this a true WW fight. I think it is what it is, two LW not cutting.
    Cowboy is a 155 gatekeeper I agree, but he’s keeping the gate to the top 3. So I’m ok with placing Conor in that bracket right now.

I don’t think we’ll see Conor at 170 properly. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the eventual outcome of all this is the BMF belt turning into a 165 belt and WW going to 175, finally

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

.ak wrote: »
    Conor said after the ceremonial he was excited to go thru the 170 div. really hope he doesn’t and goes back to 155 - i think that’s his best weight. As his nutritionist said before; he needs that hunger from the cut. Khabib, Tony, Piorer etc are all very doable for him. Usman, Woodley, Mas? Can’t see it.
    He also spoke about fights with Tony and Khabib.
    Basically asked about fights with everyone at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

He was winning the Nate fight but there was still a long way to go there.

Way back for Nate looked significantly slim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

ricero wrote: »
    Be some reading tomorrow in here if Cowboy ends McGregors career

How did following Colby's #Nerdbash shtick work out for ya? I wanted to read your thoughts on the fight but you kinda disappeared after it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Be some reading tomorrow in here if Cowboy ends McGregors career

If cowboy becomes the man that killed the king, it couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Very low profile for this fight. I assumed it was on next week actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I think Conor needs to knock someone out at 170 to regain his reputation but worst case scenario he improves his cardio with a full fight, he'll be definitely be looking to regain his knockout reputation early doors.

If that's the case, he'd need to knock out a ww, not the lw he's fighting later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Agreed, alot are underestimating Conor,

Who is underestimating him? He's clearly the favourite tonight, and with good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i think cowboys too big for him and will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

How did following Colby's #Nerdbash shtick work out for ya? I wanted to read your thoughts on the fight but you kinda disappeared after it lol

The future goat Colby will come back and be bigger and stronger than ever. Usman the better man on the night. Both would maul Mcgregor.

If Mcgregor does win, I would love to see him and Masvidal next, even though I reckon thats a bad night for Conor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    If that's the case, he'd need to knock out a ww, not the lw he's fighting later.

I see what you mean but a knockout is needed to give everyone a reminder of how dangerous that left hand is

Who is underestimating him? He's clearly the favourite tonight, and with good reason.

Alot seem to think he doesn't have the motivation or skills anymore, we'll see later on, would love to see Mc Gregor back to his lethal best.

The future goat Colby will come back and be bigger and stronger than ever. Usman the better man on the night. Both would maul Mcgregor.

If Mcgregor does win, I would love to see him and Masvidal next, even though I reckon thats a bad night for Conor
    I think the 170 maybe is a step too much for Conor to be fighting the Champions and contenders, 155 v Khabib is hard enough to try knock out with his power I think 170 he's power won't be enough. Knowing him though if the chance came up he'd give it a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

This seems like it’s already predetermined.
    Cowboy defending McGregor in the press conference, zero hostility, Payday for the cowboy..etc etc.

Like it’s a scripted road to redemption journey.
    Can’t believe the lack of hype, it’s almost like there’s not a fight on, in no way can I believe McGregor is getting paid 80m for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He's not getting 80 guaranteed anyway that's for sure but you would imagine he will do very well off the back end alright.

Anyways, if Conor can't win this fight, and win it convincingly I'd say he may as well go back to the session and forget about the fight game. Could not have hand picked a better tune up fight.

Edit: also, I have a few friends over for the fight and they say the place is buzzing, couple of them were there for the mendes fight and the Aldo fight and said that though it isn't quite at that level of excitement that any thoughts of McGregors appeal being on the wane is premature

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

He's not getting 80 guaranteed anyway that's for sure but you would imagine he will do very well off the back end alright.

Anyways, if Conor can't win this fight, and win it convincingly I'd say he may as well go back to the session and forget about the fight game. Could not have hand picked a better tune up fight.

Edit: also, I have a few friends over for the fight and they say the place is buzzing, couple of them were there for the mendes fight and the Aldo fight and said that though it isn't quite at that level of excitement that any thoughts of McGregors appeal being on the wane is premature

So should everyone who loses to cowboy or fails to beat him convincingly retire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Dont see Mcgregor being that powerful at 170, hes 5ft '9 and didint look very cut at the weight. Think he will gas tonight and lose late on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

wadacrack wrote: »
    Dont see Mcgregor being that powerful at 170, hes 5ft '9 and didint look very cut at the weight. Think he will gas tonight and lose late on

Thought he looked in the best shape he’s been in for a long time at the weight in. He’s definitely trained hard. Looks solid again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Cowboy to win in 2, McGregor will be blowing out of his arse after the first round and will be gassed come round 2,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Just before the fight tonight I will now give out the posts that always happen after a Conor fight.....:pac:

If he wins ( which I think he will!)

"Cowboy had no business being in there with him"
    "That looked like a fix to me tbh"
    "Early stoppage. Cowboy was just getting going. UFC protecting him again :mad:"
    "That early stand up by Herb was what did Cerrone in"
    "Conor took that long to get him out of there? No chance with
    (Masival/Usman/khabib etc)"
    "Not impressed with Conor there. Cowboy barely has anything for him and Conor barely won"
    "Looks like Cowboy was happy with his money and wanted out early"
    "Conor won but looked gassed. Lucky it didn't go another round"
    "Handpicked opponent. Didn't watch it but just caught the finish. I knew this would happen. He needs better opponents and he will get exposed"
    "That cage grab/eye poke just before the KO was vital. He was losing until that point. UFC made sure this one wasn't going to the ground"
    "Knew this was a farce so no way was I watching or paying for it. The finish was a bit meh tbh. Looked ok in there but Cowboy was terrible"

In the event that Conor loses....

"Told ya. All hype. :)"
    "Another loss for SBG. Their star boy was beaten"
    "Long way back for Conor now"
    "So happy for Cowboy. Glad he shut Conor up!!"
    "Going to be a really bad year for him and this is the start"
    "Conor needs to go to a gym in the US. Kavanaghs game plan was terrible"
    "Win or Learn John eh? :D"
    "See this tweet from Diaz straight after he lost....!!!"
    "UFCs golden boy beaten. Dana must be going mad"
    "Backed Cowboy. Didn't even watch it as I knew he would win"
    "Conor is washed up now. Sad fall from Grace"

Just having a bit of fun with everyone in here but you may as well close this thread now!!! Jokes aside there is nothing like a Conor Fight!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Cowboy if it goes beyond round 2

Conor has to come at him swinging for the ko at the getgo

Seems ridiculous that you can’t legally watch the fight in Ireland without a sky box. Like, I’m happy to pay the 30 euro an all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What time roughly is he fighting at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Cowboy if it goes beyond round 2

Conor has to come at him swinging for the ko at the getgo

Conor coming swinging right from the start is exactly what would cause him to gas out in the later rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Seems ridiculous that you can’t legally watch the fight in Ireland without a sky box. Like, I’m happy to pay the 30 euro an all

Eir Vision TV has it too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I don’t get the pedestal Masvidal is being put on. Hes beat nobody outside of Askren and Cowboy. He was winning the Nate fight but there was still a long way to go there.

Don't forget the knockout of Till last year as well.

I personally don't think he's up there with the elite welterweights (Usman, Covington & Woodley) and the BMF fight was a circus but that doesn't mean the guy isn't a serious operator. A fight with McGregor would be a mismatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

What time roughly is he fighting at

Sometime between 5:00-5:30 I would estimate.

Advertisement