Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

McGregor to win by submission is 100/1 on bet365

Worth a Euro or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Don't forget the knockout of Till last year as well.

I personally don't think he's up there with the elite welterweights (Usman, Covington & Woodley) and the BMF fight was a circus but that doesn't mean the guy isn't a serious operator. A fight with McGregor would be a mismatch.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Don't forget the knockout of Till last year as well.

I personally don't think he's up there with the elite welterweights (Usman, Covington & Woodley) and the BMF fight was a circus but that doesn't mean the guy isn't a serious operator. A fight with McGregor would be a mismatch.

Forgot about Till to be fair. I don’t think he’s a serious operator personally and think Conor at his peak would light him up. He’s not that big a WW and he’s an above average striker. A mismatch in what area exactly? He’s got size and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

So it's 12 start with c mc g around 6ish?

On bt I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

EOhzRCiXsAIedDp?format=jpg&name=large

Never knew he was dead before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Forgot about Till to be fair. I don’t think he’s a serious operator personally and think Conor at his peak would light him up. He’s not that big a WW and he’s an above average striker. A mismatch in what area exactly? He’s got size and that’s it.

Don't underestimate size. There are different weight categories for a reason. By today's standards McGregor's a natural lighweight. He practically had to eat a meal before the weigh-ins just to come in at 170lb. By the time Masvidal would rehydrate after cutting weight he'd probably be 10-20lbs heavier. All of that conveys an advantage: in hitting, in being hit and especially when it comes to the clinch and if it went to ground.

However, it isn't just size. Masvidal's actually a very clever fighter who is good at reading opponents and changing his game plan mid-fight. He also has great endurance and can keep a good pace up throughout.

One of his most impressive performances was when he fought Damien Maia. Maia spent a large portion of that fight on Masvidal's back. There's literally nobody in the UFC who it would be worse to give your back up to but Masvidal had the wherewithal to keep his composure and concentration to stop Maia from progressing to a submission. He then got back on his fight for the end of the fight and was unlucky to lose by split decision.

He's also got a great chin and hasn't been finished in over a decade despite fighting multiple times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Any chance cowboy could beat him? Can’t stand mcgregor

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Any chance cowboy could beat him? Can’t stand mcgregor

The play-book for beating McGregor is out there. Basically don't get knocked out in the first round, keep up a good pace and wait for him to gas. The Diaz I, Khabib and even the Mayweather fights all followed that pattern.

Unfortunately for cowboy he wouldn't have the same resistance to getting KO'd as those 3 so it could well be an early night for him. If he can get it into the third round then things could start to get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Don't underestimate size. There are different weight categories for a reason. By today's standards McGregor's a natural lighweight. He practically had to eat a meal before the weigh-ins just to come in at 170lb. By the time Masvidal would rehydrate after cutting weight he'd probably be 10-20lbs heavier. All of that conveys an advantage: in hitting, in being hit and especially when it comes to the clinch and if it went to ground.

However, it isn't just size. Masvidal's actually a very clever fighter who is good at reading opponents and changing his game plan mid-fight. He also has great endurance and can keep a good pace up throughout.

One of his most impressive performances was when he fought Damien Maia. Maia spent a large portion of that fight on Masvidal's back. There's literally nobody in the UFC who it would be worse to give your back up to but Masvidal had the wherewithal to keep his composure and concentration to stop Maia from progressing to a submission. He then got back on his fight for the end of the fight and was unlucky to lose by split decision.

He's also got a great chin and hasn't been finished in over a decade despite fighting multiple times a year.

I’m very aware of how important size is. He’s not that big though. He’s a bigger man that Conor and has a decent tank in him although I do think he was starting to wane in the Diaz fight but that’s just a suspicion. He is a good striker but he’s not in the same class as Conor is or was (We’ll know which in a few hours).

Weight is definitely a leveller with Conor but I’m not sure where exactly he is far superior?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Hey guys how do you legally buy this fight tonight i dont have eir sky or bt through tv so would have to be online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The play-book for beating McGregor is out there. Basically don't get knocked out in the first round, keep up a good pace and wait for him to gas. The Diaz I, Khabib and even the Mayweather fights all followed that pattern.

Unfortunately for cowboy he wouldn't have the same resistance to getting KO'd as those 3 so it could well be an early night for him. If he can get it into the third round then things could start to get interesting.

Wouldn't say that for the khabib fight. He won tje 3rd round.
    Mayweather was a different sport. Not apples to apples at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Don't underestimate size. There are different weight categories for a reason. By today's standards McGregor's a natural lighweight.

He's a natural welterweight, he cuts to make 155.
    His normal weight is in or around 170.

Tazzimus wrote: »

What I meant by natural fighting weight was the weight that he can cut to easily enough rather than his walking around weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

US2 wrote: »
    So should everyone who loses to cowboy or fails to beat him convincingly retire?

No, that's kind of a strange leap to make.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Not sure how a guy who just smoked Till, Askren and Diaz 3 in a row isn’t a serious operator but hey whatever you think yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Tazzimus wrote: »

Shows you want a farce it was him fighting at 145. He made his name fighting lads way smaller than himself I’m
    not giving out, it just shows you how cute he was when he first started out.

If he started out at 155 he wouldn’t be on our tv tonight imo.

He wouldn’t have made the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Shows you want a farce it was him fighting at 145. He made his name fighting lads way smaller than himself I’m
    not giving out, it just shows you how cute he was when he first started out.

If he started out at 155 he wouldn’t be on our tv tonight imo.

He wouldn’t have made the impact.

You talk nonsense anytime you post here.

Do you think the same about Max Holloway.

mdwexford wrote: »
    You talk nonsense anytime you post here.

Do you think the same about Max Holloway.

Holloway was a young lad when they fought.

That was a long time ago, he killed himself to make that weight but he did it. Every time. That's the name of the game in the fight business, every edge counts. You fight at the lowest weight you can make that you can still carry your power at. You also change over time, the natural progression is to get bigger as the weight cuts become harder as they go and each takes its toll. You also naturally get a little heavier as you get older. it is incredible to me that the likes of Aldo are able to switch down a division in his 30s when really there was always talk that he would be a natural 55er, that the cut to 45 was tough on him which it was. That kind of dedication is impressive.

I don't like McGregor, I never have and likely never will at this point but I don't see how him making 145 is something to hold against him. He did what it took and strived to get to the top.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Holloway was a young lad when they fought.

He's taking about cutting weight. Max has a harder cut to 145 than Conor did.

You must think Khabib is a joke too for the amount he cuts to get to 155?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He’s missed it a few times so yeah, bit of a joke alright.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He's taking about cutting weight. Max has a harder cut to 145 than Conor did.

I think khabib would beat Conor at any weight to be honest.

He’s missed it a few times so yeah, bit of a joke alright.

I know he missed properly back in 2013, took the penalty instead of the time to lose the 2 or whatever pounds he was over. What other times are you referring to out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mellor wrote: »
    I don’t see how there could be any libel there.
    What do you think libel means? Or what do you mean by libelous.

For example the likes of sascha Baron Cohen would have participants sign release forms to avoid legal ambiguity, if you suffered mishap on camera it might be ilegal for others to use that footage for commercial gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Someone PM me please...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I think Usman has been hacked as he is tweeting stuff about Conor thats way out there

https://twitter.com/USMAN84kg/status/1218719682464600064?s=20

https://twitter.com/USMAN84kg/status/1218718821688627201?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

people really don't appreciate just how much of an advantage weight is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I think Usman has been hacked as he is tweeting stuff about Conor thats way out there

https://twitter.com/USMAN84kg/status/1218719682464600064?s=20

https://twitter.com/USMAN84kg/status/1218718821688627201?s=20

Take a guess at who is manager is and that might explain those tweets!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So for all the doubters of Conor's continued popularity, this fight will be the fourth highest grossing UFC ppv of all time.
    And it's certainly not a great card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eagle eye wrote: »
    So for all the doubters of Conor's continued popularity, this fight will be the fourth highest grossing UFC ppv of all time.
    And it's certainly not a great card.

That's the gate figures nothing to do with the PPV. Still impressive.

Advertisement