Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Was that song even in English?

No, American

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

paulieeye wrote: »
    For a man who doesnt give excuses, he gives alot of excuses

If he's so sure Khabib is scared of him and he'll win the rematch it would have happened by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

projectgtr wrote: »
    No, American

Even Americans have a better grasp of English than that garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If he's so sure Khabib is scared of him and he'll win the rematch it would have happened by now.

I think it is khabib’s side that is more reluctant to commit to the rematch. Not because he thinks he would lose it, but more because it’s a bigger punishment to Conor to deprive him of the chance to redeem himself.
    Khabib has become a superstar as result of that fight, more so than he will get from any future fight. Now all he has to do to make more millions is show up at events and speak about it. And if he fights for another few years and remains undefeated before he retires, even if he keeps refusing to fight Conor again, his legend status will remain unchanged, and he will continue to make millions.
    I hope the rematch will happen, there is nothing better than a Conor fight and the more challenging competitor the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Khabib is an different animal and a challenge that McGregor cannot conquer. Khabib is a modern day warrior, no man will dethrone him in the Ufc at 155 pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just watched this today, I'd love to see him v Khabib. If he could stop the takedown itd be some scrap. There's a clip from his first fight where he didn't know how to throw a dig and got two nasty slams. Mad that he doesn't use his biggest attribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I think it is khabib’s side that is more reluctant to commit to the rematch. Not because he thinks he would lose it, but more because it’s a bigger punishment to Conor to deprive him of the chance to redeem himself.
    Khabib has become a superstar as result of that fight, more so than he will get from any future fight. Now all he has to do to make more millions is show up at events and speak about it. And if he fights for another few years and remains undefeated before he retires, even if he keeps refusing to fight Conor again, his legend status will remain unchanged, and he will continue to make millions.
    I hope the rematch will happen, there is nothing better than a Conor fight and the more challenging competitor the better.

We'll see about him being a superstar when he fights next. I'll have any money with you it won't sell 1m

We'll see about him being a superstar when he fights next. I'll have any money with you it won't sell 1m

Khabib vs Poirier won’t sell well I agree. Poirier brings no drama to the fight so buildup will be dull, tho doesn’t mean he can’t beat khabib. Maybe fact that it will be happening in Dubai means it will sell more outside of US. Khabib vs Ferguson would have sold a lot more, tho still nowhere near Conor levels.
    No other can sell like Conor, which makes it such a shame that he fights so rarely now. I know he just injured his arm, so looks like autumn at the earliest that he will fight. And he doesn’t seem keen on fighting anyone other than khabib for the title.

Khabib vs Poirier won’t sell well I agree. Poirier brings no drama to the fight so buildup will be dull, tho doesn’t mean he can’t beat khabib. Maybe fact that it will be happening in Dubai means it will sell more outside of US. Khabib vs Ferguson would have sold a lot more, tho still nowhere near Conor levels.
    No other can sell like Conor, which makes it such a shame that he fights so rarely now. I know he just injured his arm, so looks like autumn at the earliest that he will fight. And he doesn’t seem keen on fighting anyone other than khabib for the title.

Abu Dhabu I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ricero wrote: »
    Khabib is an different animal and a challenge that McGregor cannot conquer. Khabib is a modern day warrior, no man will dethrone him in the Ufc at 155 pounds.

I reckon Tony would.
    Justin would give him serious trouble as well if he'd actually use his wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

what about their suspensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

evil_seed wrote: »
    what about their suspensions?

That doesn't fit the narrative mate I wouldn't even bother.

Imagine if Conor was fighting as often as Holloway has the past few years. Or even just as often as he fought in 2015/16. All of our lives would have been so much better. Does too much of a good thing actually exist??
    I really miss the old Conor but sadly we are lucky now to see him fight once per year. Terrible to see how money and super stardom fame changed him. Even when Mayweather was at his prime he fought more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Imagine if Conor was fighting as often as Holloway has the past few years. Or even just as often as he fought in 2015/16. All of our lives would have been so much better. Does too much of a good thing actually exist??
    I really miss the old Conor but sadly we are lucky now to see him fight once per year. Terrible to see how money and super stardom fame changed him. Even when Mayweather was at his prime he fought more often.

Sure, but why fight when you don't want or have to? Fans and detractors alike probably can agree his commitment to training/fighting lessened somewhat post-Mayweather. In fact, we might still be in this phase right now.

He's done enough. Perhaps not in a Cowboy/RDA/Max sense etc, but in every other metric associated with being a sports star. Disappointing? Perhaps, but it's not like togging out for football.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I really miss the old Conor but sadly we are lucky now to see him fight once per year. Terrible to see how money and super stardom fame changed him.

Well, he was suspended and it's the UFC that aren't making a fight for him......as well as his rumoured conditions about being main event only.

I miss the activity alright and the aura of invincibility he had pre Diaz .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I miss the activity alright and the aura of invincibility he had pre Diaz .

Did he ever have an aura of invincibility?? I don't remember that being the general vibe after any fight he had, it always seemed to be skewed the other way really, in that most were saying he was very beatable even after really impressive performances....."wait until he fights someone better / his own size / with good wrestling" etc....

If anything what I enjoyed most was him proving the naysayers wrong and backing up his seemingly big talk on fight night. Of course the flipside of that is when he didn't manage to follow through on his own hype people viewed his losses as absolute drubbings and embarrassments based on what he said pre-fight rather than what happened in-fight....

The Khabib fight being a great example. I can only imagine that if Poirier gets the pasting that Mcgregor got in the 2nd round and comes back to win the next round while eventually succumbing later, people will praise him as a warrior with the heart of a lion for surviving the onslaught earlier. Mcgregor on the other hand is labelled a quitter and a "tap machine" when in reality he showed serious toughness to make it out of the 2nd!

After Aldo there was definitely an aura of invincibility. Easy say there wasn't in hindsight. At that stage he'd beaten the Jiu Jitsu guy who was supposed to beat him, beating the wrestler, an KO'd the unbeatable Aldo with 1 punch.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Did he ever have an aura of invincibility?? I don't remember that being the general vibe after any fight he had, it always seemed to be skewed the other way really, in that most were saying he was very beatable even after really impressive performances....."wait until he fights someone better / his own size / with good wrestling" etc....

If anything what I enjoyed most was him proving the naysayers wrong and backing up his seemingly big talk on fight night. Of course the flipside of that is when he didn't manage to follow through on his own hype people viewed his losses as absolute drubbings and embarrassments based on what he said pre-fight rather than what happened in-fight....

The Khabib fight being a great example. I can only imagine that if Poirier gets the pasting that Mcgregor got in the 2nd round and comes back to win the next round while eventually succumbing later, people will praise him as a warrior with the heart of a lion for surviving the onslaught earlier. Mcgregor on the other hand is labelled a quitter and a "tap machine" when in reality he showed serious toughness to make it out of the 2nd!

After he beat Alvarez so easily he did have an aura of invincibility, he was on top of the world.
    Nobody can blame him for going down the Mayweather road considering the amount of money on offer. But I thought he should have immediately gone back to UFC after it, as he was in such great shape at the time and his boxing skills would have been better than ever.
    I’ve never seen Conor is better shape physically than going into the Mayweather fight.
    It’s a shame he instead went on a 1 year bender after that fight.

After Aldo there was definitely an aura of invincibility. Easy say there wasn't in hindsight. At that stage he'd beaten the Jiu Jitsu guy who was supposed to beat him, beating the wrestler, an KO'd the unbeatable Aldo with 1 punch.

You might be right, and it may be me revising things in hindsight, but after the Mendes fight I remember plenty claiming he got out of jail, Chad was just off the couch and still grounded mcgregor with ease etc....if anything it seemed to strengthen the belief that he was there for the taking at the hands of a strong wrestler.

Likewise with the Aldo fight, the nature of the ending left plenty claiming it was a flash KO that was unlikely to be replicated in a rematch.

Ironically post-Alvarez fight was when I feel there was the greatest consensus that he was the real deal. A shame for fans from a sport perspective that he chose that time to follow a different path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Mendes excuse was brought out by people, possibly not realising that he has one of, if not the best, double leg in the UFC.

The main obstacle now to fighting, apart from injuries, seems to be that Conor still insists on getting the most pay, being the headliner and fighting for the title.
    I guess I can understand him asking for most pay as he is still the highest PPV and no other fighter brings the same level of excitement to it, in all of pre, post and during fight.
    But unless there is a title fight every 3 months then he has no right to insist on that. And if the ufc stick to their rule that headliner has to be a title fight then that rules out that.
    I think Conor should have fought either Max or Dustin for the interim in that recent fight. Had he won he would have had a legitimate claim to go straight back for redemption vs khabib later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Fall_Guy wrote: »

Are you forgetting all the fouling that McGregor did that allowed him to survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

The main obstacle now to fighting, apart from injuries, seems to be that Conor still insists on getting the most pay, being the headliner and fighting for the title.
    I guess I can understand him asking for most pay as he is still the highest PPV and no other fighter brings the same level of excitement to it, in all of pre, post and during fight.
    But unless there is a title fight every 3 months then he has no right to insist on that. And if the ufc stick to their rule that headliner has to be a title fight then that rules out that.
    I think Conor should have fought either Max or Dustin for the interim in that recent fight. Had he won he would have had a legitimate claim to go straight back for redemption vs khabib later in the year.

TBF, they've never actively enforced that as a rule. Conor fought Chad for the interim FW belt ahead of the undisputed WW title, also the first Nate fight headlined ahead of Holm/Tate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

BigMo1 wrote: »
    TBF, they've never actively enforced that as a rule. Conor fought Chad for the interim FW belt ahead of the undisputed WW title, also the first Nate fight headlined ahead of Holm/Tate.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they have enforced it since the buyout tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

aloooof wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they have enforced it since the buyout tho.

Possibly. I think it's incredibly short-sighted of them though. The reality is Conor remains the biggest draw by some distance. Any title fight after a McGregor fight would feel anticlimactic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Possibly. I think it's incredibly short-sighted of them though. The reality is Conor remains the biggest draw by some distance. Any title fight after a McGregor fight would feel anticlimactic.

Completely agree.

evil_seed wrote: »
    Are you forgetting all the fouling that McGregor did that allowed him to survive?

Actually haven't watched the fight back since a rewatch of it the day after it happened, so I may well be. But if I recall, the most blatant examples were when Khabib was trying to work from dominant positions (I seem to remember a knee to the head of Khabib when he looked all but certain to finish a kimura anyway, and possibly some fence-grabbing and glove-holding) but what struck me as impressive was how he took some serious bombs from Khabib with Khabib in standing position or fully postured up, opening up in a way he usually doesn't, really looking to finish the fight there and then. Was really impressed with how he gutted it out and came back relatively strongly in the next round.

To me Mcgregor was purely overmatched in the fight, but the prevailing narrative seems to be he didn't have the stomach for it. Like I said, if you put Poirier in to that Khabib fight and changed nothing else about how the fight played out, my feeling is that Poirier would be lauded as a warrior for toughing it out before succumbing to exhaustion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

aloooof wrote: »

Conor v Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Mellor wrote: »
    Conor v Nate

Probably an acceptable exception since it was booked a month before the takeover.

Advertisement