Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He’s doing an interview, everyone else there is being respectful and shutting up. What would you expect

Expected a good atmosphere with happy people full of energy, not an impression that Helwani had just gatecrashed a wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Moscow, Croker, Cowboys stadium and that new NFL stadium in Vegas. Imagine his next 4 MMA/Boxing fights a were there.

Have GAA HQ said anything about hosting an MMA event just that there seems to be a sense of entitlement around McGregor having a fight there. Also seeing it will still have to be at a time that suits the American market and can see CP residents not being happy at thousands of people turning up outside their house in the early morning to go in nevermind when they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Not sure it would have been possible for him to look any more impressive than that. You have to do seriously well to look that good in a tune up fight. The shoulder strikes were beautiful. Great to get out with zero damage too so hopefully we see him back sooner rather than later as promised

Dunno what's next but the one thing I don't think should happen is an immediate khabib rematch. If chasing 155, would love to see the gaethje fight before a title shot against whoever wins in April.

If he stays at 170, I think Rogan is right that Masvidal and Usman are the two you could make. Dunno if it's been mentioned but staying at 170 offers the ever so slight hint of a GSP return too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Have GAA HQ said anything about hosting an MMA event just that there seems to be a sense of entitlement around McGregor having a fight there. Also seeing it will still have to be at a time that suits the American market and can see CP residents not being happy at thousands of people turning up outside their house in the early morning to go in nevermind when they leave.

Everyone knows there’ll be no stadium fight in Dublin that’s on at 4am or 5am. Any card would have to be over by midnight. Nobody is suggesting otherwise. Hence Dana says no as it’d hurt ppv buy rates in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Seriously, the image change! Zero obnoxious abuse handed out! Definitely been working on that as much as his octagon skills! Executed on all fronts to perfection, fighing, press handling and fighter respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Ran through him like an express train, and then back to talk of who he shouldn't face next ...............has there ever been any sport where an alleged great gets such blatant disregard by analysts on who he can and can never beat

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

jon1981 wrote: »
    Seriously, the image change! Zero obnoxious abuse handed out! Definitely been working on that as much as his octagon skills! Executed on all fronts to perfection, fighing, press handling and fighter respect.

Give it time.....he might just slip back into OTT contrived chav mode...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He called Jorge a "stupih tick"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,673 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »

He’s not wrong there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The Nal wrote: »

Mild in comparison to past mcgregor mouthing.

Perhaps he respected cowboy given his UFC tenure and record. He may well slip back to old mcgregor for someone of lesser stature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Weird atmosphere in that dressing room, like someone just died.

Never doubt the man.

Mild in comparison to past mcgregor mouthing.

Perhaps he respected cowboy given his UFC tenure and record. He may well slip back to old mcgregor for someone of lesser stature.

He's the same Mc Gregor no matter what, ppl forget that Khabib and his team started the melee and the attacks from behind on Conor after the fight was over and Khabib jumped into the crowd, I feel Conor has been given the full blame for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Considering last year the GAA banned combat sports in their halls around the country they certainly shouldn't get that payday. I'm aware some halls are hosting again but the ban has been enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He's the same Mc Gregor no matter what, ppl forget that Khabib and his team started the melee and the attacks from behind on Conor after the fight was over and Khabib jumped into the crowd, I feel Conor has been given the full blame for all this.

To be fair, the antipathy towards McGregor is rooted in a lot more than the post-Khabib nonsense.

To be fair, the antipathy towards McGregor is rooted in a lot more than the post-Khabib nonsense.

Agreed, it's everything that followed in his personal life and I wouldn't excuse that for a second but he lost his way and it can be redeemed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anywhere to watch the main card replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Avoided the result and internet all day, just watched it.

Wow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch the main card replay?

Mma core

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Considering last year the GAA banned combat sports in their halls around the country they certainly shouldn't get that payday. I'm aware some halls are hosting again but the ban has been enforced

Did they? My gym puts on shows in the local one couple times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Conor back to his old self in the post fight presser. Very happy to see that. I never liked the nasty stuff and felt he was told to do it. I think he got too into it and it eventually derailed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

rob316 wrote: »
    Did they? My gym puts on shows in the local one couple times a year.

Yeah, my local club ended up struggling financially due to it, they would have had various shows and at least 1 a month

Khabib fight at Jerry World would be spectacular. It'd devour all attendance/gate records.

Jerry Jones would be all for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

A poor undercard and a 40 second main event. Glad i never pulled the trigger on the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,606 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

GAA definitely should not let MMA into their facilities. Why would or should they? And definitely not give out Croker to UFC. I wasn't aware of the ban but I would be happier to see it there than not. I'd assume that boxing isn't in that ban, but then that's just an assumption.

If the FAI were functioning, it would be more suited to that crowd.
    Maybe UFC or McGregor can use some of his millions to buy the FAI out of Landsdowne Road and have a few shows there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

GAA definitely should not let MMA into their facilities. Why would or should they? And definitely not give out Croker to UFC. I wasn't aware of the ban but I would be happier to see it there than not. I'd assume that boxing isn't in that ban, but then that's just an assumption.

If the FAI were functioning, it would be more suited to that crowd.
    Maybe UFC or McGregor can use some of his millions to buy the FAI out of Landsdowne Road and have a few shows there.

Definite crossover with soccer. One of the big dublin clubs cancelled their showing of the fight due to gang issues. MMA and gangs in Ireland is a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I fell into a drunken dream at around 6 am this morning.....he beat Masvidal in March, Usman in the Summer then won back his other belt against Khabib just before Xmas........what a year it's been :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Annd9

Definite crossover with soccer. One of the big dublin clubs cancelled their showing of the fight due to gang issues. MMA and gangs in Ireland is a serious problem.

Stop talking nonsense , could you name a gang associated with MMA ? Boxing is most definitely intertwined with criminality can't say I've ever heard anything like that in MMA circles .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

eagle eye wrote: »
    Conor back to his old self in the post fight presser. Very happy to see that. I never liked the nasty stuff and felt he was told to do it. I think he got too into it and it eventually derailed him.

He's been going after other fighters since his Cage Warriors days. Usually he slags the other fighters off relentlessly and then after the fights he drops it and you get a more sincere take from him. This fight was unusual for him not going after his opponent beforehand. Not sure if that was because he thought that he was so far ahead of Cerrone that he didn't need to add the mental warfare element to his game. Judging by his post-fight interview he'll be back to his old tricks if he's fighting Masvidal next.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Drugs and gangs is a problem in Ireland. Public transport and gangs a s a big problem in Ireland.
    Do you see where I'm going with this?
    Yes gangs are a problem in Ireland, it's got nothing to do with MMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'd be interested in how you came to that conclusion, or is it a case of pulling statements out of your hole, like so many drops ins to this thread?

Advertisement