Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

GAA definitely should not let MMA into their facilities. Why would or should they? And definitely not give out Croker to UFC. I wasn't aware of the ban but I would be happier to see it there than not. I'd assume that boxing isn't in that ban, but then that's just an assumption.

If the FAI were functioning, it would be more suited to that crowd.
    Maybe UFC or McGregor can use some of his millions to buy the FAI out of Landsdowne Road and have a few shows there.

You can do a bit better than that, cmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Lot of rumours online about this being a fix and that McGregor fluffed his lines and they had to readjust the story.

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1218854780556185607

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lot of rumours online about this being a fix and that McGregor fluffed his lines and they had to readjust the story.

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1218854780556185607

Why anyone would give this the time of day is beyond me.

Posters not familiar with Limmy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Homelander

Why even bother posting crap like that? It's just conspiracy nonsense that doesn't even make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes.

For those who haven’t watched the Conor McGregor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Definite crossover with soccer. One of the big dublin clubs cancelled their showing of the fight due to gang issues. MMA and gangs in Ireland is a serious problem.

Your right , there was no gangs in ireland till 2014 when mcgregor got big and mma spread

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Not sure if you are trolling or just not aware but that's a comedians account..either way I wouldn't post any more nonsense on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Just before the fight tonight I will now give out the posts that always happen after a Conor fight.....:pac:

If he wins ( which I think he will!)

"Cowboy had no business being in there with him"
    "That looked like a fix to me tbh"
    "Early stoppage. Cowboy was just getting going. UFC protecting him again :mad:"
    "That early stand up by Herb was what did Cerrone in"
    "Conor took that long to get him out of there? No chance with
    (Masival/Usman/khabib etc)"
    "Not impressed with Conor there. Cowboy barely has anything for him and Conor barely won"
    "Looks like Cowboy was happy with his money and wanted out early"
    "Conor won but looked gassed. Lucky it didn't go another round"
    "Handpicked opponent. Didn't watch it but just caught the finish. I knew this would happen. He needs better opponents and he will get exposed"
    "That cage grab/eye poke just before the KO was vital. He was losing until that point. UFC made sure this one wasn't going to the ground"
    "Knew this was a farce so no way was I watching or paying for it. The finish was a bit meh tbh. Looked ok in there but Cowboy was terrible"

I think we have had nearly all of these by now. Fix,handpicked etc :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think we have had nearly all of these by now. Fix,handpicked etc :pac:

I think you can't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Why doesn't there ever seem to be much talk of fighting Tony Ferguson?? If he wins or loses the Khabib fight, it would still be great to see him vs McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,334 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GAA definitely should not let MMA into their facilities. Why would or should they?
    Why wouldn't they monetise one of the best venues in the country?
    Seems archaic thinking. Along the line of banned players from playign other sports.
    I wasn't aware of the ban but I would be happier to see it there than not. I'd assume that boxing isn't in that ban, but then that's just an assumption.
    Odd assumption, why would boxing be treated differently to it's closest cousin?

The "ban" is rule 42. It bans all sports other than gaelic games.
    It's been in place in some form since the 70s. Although it's original wording, it didn't exclude boxing. It does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

Watched the Cowboy Masvidal fight back tonight

They were both trading for the first 4 -5 mins of their fight, They looked like they were 2 equal fighters feeling each other out until Masvidal started to take control towards the end of the 1st

Then you see how easily Conor destroyed Cowboy last night from the off he looked different level to Cowboy altogether.

Certainly feel like Conor has a very good shot against Masvidal at 170 and wouldn't be surprised if he actually took him out.

Last night was unreal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Posters not familiar with Limmy...

And who didn't bother to read the next tweet

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1218858008849145858

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gonad wrote: »
    Watched the Cowboy Masvidal fight back tonight

They were both trading for the first 4 -5 mins of their fight, They looked like they were 2 equal fighters feeling each other out until Masvidal started to take control towards the end of the 1st

Then you see how easily Conor destroyed Cowboy last night from the off he looked different level to Cowboy altogether.

Certainly feel like Conor has a very good shot against Masvidal at 170 and wouldn't be surprised if he actually took him out.

Last night was unreal :)

If you include the Masvidal stoppage Cowboy has been stopped 4 times since the beginning of that fight before the Conor match, It was 9 fights ago and 9 training camps ,
    So that will take its tool on how much damage he can take,

Conor beating Cowboy and everyone claiming he is back is the equivalent of Man United beating bottom of the table Norwich and claiming there back in business

Thought it was great to see him win and win so convincingly. He looked great, was very inventive and sounds in a good place. Love him or hate him, its good for the sport.

It puts the LW and WW divisions on alert and has everyone chasing a McGregor fight. The UFC landscape for 2020 completely changed in 39 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Thought it was great to see him win and win so convincingly. He looked great, was very inventive and sounds in a good place. Love him or hate him, its good for the sport.

It puts the LW and WW divisions on alert and has everyone chasing a McGregor fight. The UFC landscape for 2020 completely changed in 39 seconds.

Did you not think Cowboy was shocking ?
    Took a 3 or 4 shoulder to the face without moving, them got wobbled by toes he did not connect with that head kick,

I wonder was the limp Cowboy had on embedded more than he let on, we all know he never pulls out of a fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

really impressed by mcgregor

really dissapointed with cowboy

anyone else think that the very first exchange, when cowboy ducked under conors left hand, cowboy clashed with mcgregors upper thigh , hip ....i thought this stunned him in a major way!!

then with the shoulders, he didnt even move his head, still affected by the clash i tink

Took a 3 or 4 shoulder to the face without moving, them got wobbled by toes he did not connect with that head kick,

I wonder was the limp Cowboy had on embedded more than he let on, we all know he never pulls out of a fight,

He was very weak yeah but the shoulders hurt him clearly. Busted his nose and eye. Barely time to throw a tester of a kick before getting kicked in the head and then 5 or 6 shots to the head/temple and he was done. You have to give McGregor credit. The shoulders were quite unique. I know if was a half arsed take down attempt from Cerrone but Conor bounced right out of it.

Cowboys chin has gone. Hes been TKO'd a few times now and regularly balls up for the ref to stop it. He gave up against Gaethje, got annihilated by Ferguson, gave up against Till and so on.

Buts its business and it was the perfect fight. Conor gets a win, gets to look good, is unhurt and Cerrone gets a big payday. On to the next one.

• Advertisement

Cowboy had an excellent kickboxing career as well as a very solid MMA career.
    Unfortunately he fell short in the biggest fights of his UFC career. No shame in that. And obviously time is catching up on him.

But to act like he is some kind of low level fighter is an insult to his career.

Conor obliterated him in 40 seconds. The only person to ever do that to Cowboy in less than a minute in his long career.

So please knock it off with the "Its only Cowboy", "We learned nothing new" posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

The shoulder 'punch' is the smoothest way to draw blood from the nose/ break the nose. Thats why he did it three times without Cowboy blocking it.
    The connection with the left kick at the end was just his toe knuckles across the cheek.

Shameful fix to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

bunderoon wrote: »
    The shoulder 'punch' is the smoothest way to draw blood from the nose/ break the nose. Thats why he did it three times without Cowboy blocking it.
    The connection with the left kick at the end was just his toe knuckles across the cheek.

:D not sure if impersonating a conspiracy theory nut or actually one

The Nal wrote: »
    He was very weak yeah but the shoulders hurt him clearly. Busted his nose and eye. Barely time to throw a tester of a kick before getting kicked in the head and then 5 or 6 shots to the head/temple and he was done. You have to give McGregor credit. The shoulders were quite unique. I know if was a half arsed take down attempt from Cerrone but Conor bounced right out of it.

Cowboys chin has gone. Hes been TKO'd a few times now and regularly balls up for the ref to stop it. He gave up against Gaethje, got annihilated by Ferguson, gave up against Till and so on.

Buts its business and it was the perfect fight. Conor gets a win, gets to look good, is unhurt and Cerrone gets a big payday. On to the next one.

Don't think it was a takedown attempt, he was clinching him.

Lol!!!

I heard McGregor deliberately gassed against Diaz and took it to the ground so Nate would submit him making a rematch even more interesting and profitable.
    Then in the rematch, Diaz deliberately took it easy in R4 to allow Conor ahead on the cards so the trilogy would always be there.

akelly02 wrote: »
    really impressed by mcgregor

really dissapointed with cowboy

anyone else think that the very first exchange, when cowboy ducked under conors left hand, cowboy clashed with mcgregors upper thigh , hip ....i thought this stunned him in a major way!!

then with the shoulders, he didnt even move his head, still affected by the clash i tink

I think you're right. I remember a heavyweight fight, think it might have been Derek Lewis against Matt Mitrione where Lewis hit against Mitriones hip and it staggered him.

I think Brendan Schaub said it happened to him against Travis Browne.

Cerrone said in the post fight he thought the shoulders were elbow strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He got dazed and then blitzed before he knew what was going on, perfect game plan for a man known to start slowly.
    Those shoulder strikes are a lot harder than they look, he was jumping into them so was a fair bit of force behind them.

Go get yourself kicked in the head and see if it was a fix...

Definite crossover with soccer. One of the big dublin clubs cancelled their showing of the fight due to gang issues. MMA and gangs in Ireland is a serious problem.

I personally think hyperbole and boards posters is a much bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

hots wrote: »
    :D not sure if impersonating a conspiracy theory nut or actually one

Neither. I observed and formed an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Neither. I observed and formed an opinion.

Do you honestly think the fight was fixed?

Advertisement