Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The fix fight posters are the LiVARpool posters of the MMA forum.

Trolls or idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

bunderoon wrote: »
    I do unfortunately..
    I'd love to believe that these great fighters just experience sudden brain farts and forget how to defend themselves. I've not into mad theories. But I'm not a fanboy either. I enjoy the fights without any bias.

You see, the UFC have moved a little into the WWF/WWE space over the last couple of years. Money has destroyed it. Dana bought it for ~2million and it sold for ~4billion.
    McGregor's hype has been the vehicle to propel the organisation into heights that it has never been before.

But this simply goes down to who benefits. It doe not benefit Dana for cowboy to win. Its why he was selected. It was his first PPV deal and its the end of his career. But it does so massively for Conor & Dana to win and win so convincingly that he's now not required to fight 3-5 times before facing off against Khabib again. Financially, the easy comeback for Conor paves the way for the best return for Dana.

For the fight, just look at how Cowboy doesnt move from the shoulder 'blows'.
    He moves his head away from the kick and Conors toes connected with his Cheek. He does the same as Mendes did and slowly leans into a fall to his left side inviting Conor to 'finish' it. And the finish was one or two convincing light blows and the rest were misses. Job done.
    These guys are tough as nails. They can take much more than this and we've seen this time and time again pre-Conor era.

Conor is a great fighter. No doubt about it. But his mouth and persona is worth far far more to Dana than his fighting skills.

I've love to believe that these types of fights are legit. But I cant with what I've seen.

As for the WWF/WWE reference, just look at his next pre-planned opponent (Masvidal) at ringside the other night with the belt around his shoulder. It's turning into a soap opera.

Big money semi final PPVs:
    Khabib vs Ferguson
    McGregor vs Masvidal

Final: will be a world record MMA PPV
    Khabib vs ........

Now I know why Bob Arum said this at 4.25

https://youtu.be/yE_tsPatoBU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

bunderoon wrote: »
    The shoulder 'punch' is the smoothest way to draw blood from the nose/ break the nose. Thats why he did it three times without Cowboy blocking it.
    The connection with the left kick at the end was just his toe knuckles across the cheek.

Shameful fix to the fight.

This is an MMA forum, not the place for such trolling nonsense. Don't post in the forum any further thanks.

As for the rest of you don't engage in such discussion with somone..simple as.

That includes any need to quote or respond to previous comments...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's quite infuriating when the only fuel to this wierd fix conspiracy is a) McGregor won extremely quickly and b) Cowboy performed nothing like he usually does and was dispatched in record time.

The reason both those things are true is because from the very start Cerrone was badly compromised by those incredibly unorthodox shoulder strikes before the fight had really gotten underway.

McGregor throws a straight left, misses, Cowboy goes for takedown but Conor sprawls instinctively. They clinch, and while Cowboy is pondering his next move in that split second, McGregor hits him with a massive shoulder strike, followed by another.

Nobody even noticed how damaging they were at the time - commentators barely even mentioned them in fact - it was only after the seperation that it was obvious how busted up Cowboy was. Shoulder strikes are not uncommon in MMA but to get that sort of brutally effective power without the leverage of the fence is really unusual.

Cowboy is now extremely compromised, likely can't see properly, throws a strong kick which McGregor blocks handily. McGregor then throws a heavy return kick which lands on Cowboy's jaw, making a bad situation even worse.

I think at that point, he thought Conor was about to throw another left so went to guard his face, and got clipped with an unexpected kick. After that....he was done, the follow up punches ended the fight but he was done by then.

The lack of defence or scramble from Cowboy is not unusual for him. Anyone who's watched a lot of his fights will know it's something he does when badly hurt, he just curls up and waits for the referee to stop the fight. It's certainly not unique to this fight nor does it say anything unusual or atypical of the fight.

Yeah, Cowboy got badly beaten, much worse than anyone expected, even when Conor was the favorite. It can happen. It's like Jorge Masvidal KO'ing Ben Askren in 5 seconds recently, or Conor KO'ing Aldo in 13 seconds. It didn't/doesn't make them bad fighters at all, just one of those things that comes with the territory - fights ending before they even begin.

So no, I really struggle to see any evidence of a fix, Cowboy simply suffered a freak and wholly unexpected shoulder-strike in the first 15 seconds that compromised him badly. It's happened before, it will happen again.

edit: I see the poster is also implying that the Chad Mendes fight was a fix. Have to presume at that point it's a deliberate troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Fromvert wrote: »
    The fix fight posters are the LiVARpool posters of the MMA forum.

Trolls or idiots.

Cowboy will now be getting paid multi million dollars every fight in his new contract. If you were a business like the UFC, would you do that knowing that if he beat mcgregor, their biggest fights are now impossible to make? Would've been smarter to make an immediate khabib rematch as if he lost again to khabib, could still sell another big fight as already lost to khabib, so it doesn't impact his selling ability much. But if he lost to cowboy, someone on a losing streak, another massive mcgregor fight wasn't possible, and they'd be down millions for giving cowboy a new contract. Worst business move ever. No way they would do that.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    It's quite infuriating when the only fuel to this wierd fix conspiracy is a) McGregor won extremely quickly and b) Cowboy performed nothing like he usually does and was dispatched in record time.

The reason both those things are true is because from the very start Cerrone was badly compromised by those incredibly unorthodox shoulder strikes before the fight had really gotten underway.

McGregor throws a straight left, misses, Cowboy goes for takedown but Conor sprawls instinctively. They clinch, and while Cowboy is pondering his next move in that split second, McGregor hits him with a massive shoulder strike, followed by another.

Nobody even noticed how damaging they were at the time - commentators barely even mentioned them in fact - it was only after the seperation that it was obvious how busted up Cowboy was. Shoulder strikes are not uncommon in MMA but to get that sort of brutally effective power without the leverage of the fence is really unusual.

Cowboy is now extremely compromised, likely can't see properly, throws a strong kick which McGregor blocks handily. McGregor then throws a heavy return kick which lands on Cowboy's jaw, making a bad situation even worse.

I think at that point, he thought Conor was about to throw another left so went to guard his face, and got clipped with an unexpected kick. After that....he was done, the follow up punches ended the fight but he was done by then.

The lack of defence or scramble from Cowboy is not unusual for him. Anyone who's watched a lot of his fights will know it's something he does when badly hurt, he just curls up and waits for the referee to stop the fight. It's certainly not unique to this fight nor does it say anything unusual or atypical of the fight.

Yeah, Cowboy got badly beaten, much worse than anyone expected, even when Conor was the favorite. It can happen. It's like Jorge Masvidal KO'ing Ben Askren in 5 seconds recently, or Conor KO'ing Aldo in 13 seconds. It didn't/doesn't make them bad fighters at all, just one of those things that comes with the territory - fights ending before they even begin.

So no, I really struggle to see any evidence of a fix, Cowboy simply suffered a freak and wholly unexpected shoulder-strike in the first 15 seconds that compromised him badly. It's happened before, it will happen again.

edit: I see the poster is also implying that the Chad Mendes fight was a fix. Have to presume at that point it's a deliberate troll.

What did you make of cowboy throwing his only strike of the fight, a kick, after conor just raised his left hand to his head, even though he had a few seconds to throw it before when mcgregors hand was lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Homelander

He was still compromised by getting his nose and eye busted from the shoulder strikes, I don't think there's any great conspiracy in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Amazing to think you'd even waste the energy to get upset about these consipracy theories.

spix wrote: »
    Cowboy will now be getting paid multi million dollars every fight in his new contract.

No he won't, he got $200k show for this along with PPV points. He won't get PPV points again unless he becomes champ. Even he said his contract wasn't great for this fight, it ain't getting better in the future. Very few fighters get paid millions per fight.
    If you were a business like the UFC, would you do that knowing that if he beat mcgregor, their biggest fights are now impossible to make? Would've been smarter to make an immediate khabib rematch as if he lost again to khabib, could still sell another big fight as already lost to khabib, so it doesn't impact his selling ability much. But if he lost to cowboy, someone on a losing streak, another massive mcgregor fight wasn't possible, and they'd be down millions for giving cowboy a new contract. Worst business move ever. No way they would do that.

It was a tune up fight, everyone with a brain knew Conor would beat him. Conor knew, Dana knew, hell Cowboy probably even knew.

If you think it's a fixed fight, choose one from below
    Troll or idiot.

No he won't, he got $200k show for this along with PPV points. He won't get PPV points again unless he becomes champ. Even he said his contract wasn't great for this fight, it ain't getting better in the future. Very few fighters get paid millions per fight.

?? Cowboy got paid 2 million for this fight as reported by multiple sources including mcgregor himself "“It’s the McGregor multi-million dollar fight club,” McGregor said. “Donald is up next. This will be a multi-million dollar payday for Donald, coming up from a couple of hundred thousand. "

Also cowboy said in an interview or press conference that he signed a new contract so he'll be getting paid millions every fight in the future.

Why does someone who thinks it was fixed have to be a troll or idiot? Can we not just have different opinions? Imo anyone who thinks it was a legit fight is a troll or idiot :) I'm a big mcgregor fan, I want to believe it was a real fight but its just too obvious, this fight never made business sense for mcgregor of the UFC unless it was a guaranteed victory. No fight is a guaranteed victory especially against someone like cowboy who has shown he can be very dangerous and has multiple impressive knockouts/submissions at 170, if you think there is a such thing as a guaranteed victory in a real fight then you don't watch enough fights. Along with other strange things in the lead up, like only a press conference fight week, no open workouts, mcgregor saying he left the ufc pick his opponent when its obvious if you were following the fight that he had picked cowboy.

• Advertisement

?? Cowboy got paid 2 million for this fight as reported by multiple sources including mcgregor himself "“It’s the McGregor multi-million dollar fight club,” McGregor said. “Donald is up next. This will be a multi-million dollar payday for Donald, coming up from a couple of hundred thousand. "

Also cowboy said in an interview or press conference that he signed a new contract so he'll be getting paid millions every fight in the future.

Any links to any of this?

As reported he got $200k and we assume PPV points.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871946-conor-mcgregor-donald-cerrone-purse-payouts-revealed-ahead-of-ufc-246

As has been posted before, John Nash has detailed who is likely to get paid PPV points it's usually just champions and big names like McGregor, Anderson Silva etc and sometimes contenders .

?Why does someone who thinks it was fixed have to be a troll or idiot? Can we not just have different opinions? Imo anyone who thinks it was a legit fight is a troll or idiot :) I'm a big mcgregor fan, I want to believe it was a real fight but its just too obvious, this fight never made business sense for mcgregor of the UFC unless it was a guaranteed victory. No fight is a guaranteed victory especially against someone like cowboy who has shown he can be very dangerous and has multiple impressive knockouts/submissions at 170, if you think there is a such thing as a guaranteed victory in a real fight then you don't watch enough fights. Along with other strange things in the lead up, like only a press conference fight week, no open workouts, mcgregor saying he left the ufc pick his opponent when its obvious if you were following the fight that he had picked cowboy.

Because there is literally zero proof of a it being a fixed fight. Show me one shred of proof that it was fixed and maybe I can start believing.

The Cowboy fight was as big of a win as you could have given Conor. It was a lay-up but with a name attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,561 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/MallowNews/status/1218974798329667584

I got a tiny bit of a laugh out of this one, well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Would've been smarter to make an immediate khabib rematch as if he lost again to khabib, could still sell another big fight as already lost to khabib, so it doesn't impact his selling ability much.

No one wanted that fight straight run again straight away. Including the fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HE500

I am not a fan of McGregor at all but I do not believe the fight was fixed for one second.

I do however believe that it was a calculated decision by the UFC to feed Cerrone to McGregor. Personally I think Cerrone was massively over rated and the UFC did not want to risk Connor losing his comeback fight as that would derail any comeback hype.

In the build up to this fight Dana talked about the fans disrespecting Cerrone but nobody disrespected Cowboy more then Dana/UFC. For a start they offered him peanuts for this fight. His basic pay was 200k with him having to win to earn more while McGregor was handed 3 million basic weather he won or lost. I understand he is the bigger draw but surely Cerrone deserved better? Also there's a video online of Dana being interviewed and talking about betting / who his money would be on and he didn't hesitate for a second when selecting McGregor. He even spoke about McGregor v Khabib rematch almost as if he knew McGregor was gonna win and the rematch would be a given.

I don't think Cowboy took a dive but I firmly believe that they selected Cowboy because he was the perfect comeback fight. Reasonably big name . He is on a downward slope. Slow starter etc etc He was literally the perfect opponent for McGregor to comeback and make a statement against and the UFC could not afford to throw Connor in against an elite fighter as a loss could potentially spell the end for McGregor.

It amazes me also that Khabib has said more then once that he won't rematch Connor and that Connor does not deserve a rematch yet both McGregor and Dana are blatantly trying to force it. Masvidal is the fight the fans want to see and is just as big but Dana just cannot help but bend over backwards to give McGregor what he wants. Its pathetic imo.

If McGregor had beaten Khabib would Dana be forcing the rematch? Mcgregor has not once given anyone a rematch and not once defended a belt let alone Dana has bent over backwards to help get McGregor to where he is today.

Don't get me wrong . The man is a skilled fighter but I feel sorry for his opponents as they aren't just up against McGregor. They are up against the UFC. Mcgregor calls the shots at the end of the day and you can see him and Dana are very close.

On a sidenote. I guarantee you if Cerrone came at McGregor from the off throwing that left hand and missing. Mcgregor would have reacted quick and Cerrone would have paid the price. Cerrone could have potentially done the same but he is simply not as quick, not as smart and ultimately nowhere near McGregors level. This was an elite fighter v a popular fighter among fans (that's all cerrone is)

Hasn't Cerrone lost something mad like 8 of his last 10 fights for christ sake. In the build up he showed Connor far too much respect too. Couldn't speak highly enough of him, It was like a dream come true that he was finally getting a fight with his hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What would they have said had McGregor lost?

haha McTapper blah de blah .....Irish leprechaun your boy is **** fanboys!

and that's just on here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i think he fights gaethje next. its a very favourable matchup for him and will be seen as a decent opponent to silence some of the critics of the choice of cerrone as an opponent.

i don't think conor really wants masvidal and dana definitely doesn't. also conor should take a fight at LW if he wants to do everything possible to prepare for the khabib fight.

sets up khabib 2 in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Why does someone who thinks it was fixed have to be a troll or idiot? Can we not just have different opinions? Imo anyone who thinks it was a legit fight is a troll or idiot :) I'm a big mcgregor fan, I want to believe it was a real fight but its just too obvious, this fight never made business sense for mcgregor of the UFC unless it was a guaranteed victory. No fight is a guaranteed victory especially against someone like cowboy who has shown he can be very dangerous and has multiple impressive knockouts/submissions at 170, if you think there is a such thing as a guaranteed victory in a real fight then you don't watch enough fights. Along with other strange things in the lead up, like only a press conference fight week, no open workouts, mcgregor saying he left the ufc pick his opponent when its obvious if you were following the fight that he had picked cowboy.
    You're embarrassing yourself and insulting Cowboy, thinking he took a dive.

The man is known to bottle it in big fights and starts very slow.

He reacted to Conor's haymaker and went for a takedown that was stuffed, with the help of Conor's thigh stunning him for a sec.
    After they clinch, he gets busted with a few very hard shoulder strikes that daze him.
    Throws a very telegraphed high kick, which is blocked and Conor whips one right back at him, catching him in the jaw and stunning him, again.
    Then he gets a few punches in and finishes off with some ground and pound.

Nothing fixed about it, Conor blitzed him and Cowboy reacted like a deer in headlights. Pretty much the formula for beating Cowboy.
    Was it a tune up? Absolutely
    Was it a fix? **** off

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You're embarrassing yourself and insulting Cowboy, thinking he took a dive.

The man is known to bottle it in big fights and starts very slow.

He reacted to Conor's haymaker and went for a takedown that was stuffed, with the help of Conor's thigh stunning him for a sec.
    After they clinch, he gets busted with a few very hard shoulder strikes that daze him.
    Throws a very telegraphed high kick, which is blocked and Conor whips one right back at him, catching him in the jaw and stunning him, again.
    Then he gets a few punches in and finishes off with some ground and pound.

Nothing fixed about it, Conor blitzed him and Cowboy reacted like a deer in headlights. Pretty much the formula for beating Cowboy.
    Was it a tune up? Absolutely
    Was it a fix? **** off

I don't think it was fixed but if you think that was a takedown attempt then I am speechless

can't believe this fight is fixed rubbish is a thing. and the disrespect towards cerrone in general is real ****ty.

HE500 wrote: »
    I don't think it was fixed but if you think that was a takedown attempt then I am speechless

it was, his head got hit by conor's leg and messed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It was exactly that, an attempt. Conor's thigh hitting him ****ed it up and gave Conor a chance to sprawl.

Can anyone explain why Connor keeps being handed rematches but never has to defend his belts? Dana pretty much said Khabib needs to beat McGregor a second time to earn his legacy. Yet NEVER does he say McGregor needs to defend his belts for his legacy.

According to Dana Khabib beating Connor once is not enough. He needs to do it again. Does that mean he will say the same thing if McGregor won the rematch and then say McGregor needs to beat him twice? I doubt it. Sooner people realise Dana and Conor are a tag team the better

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It was exactly that, an attempt. Conor's thigh hitting him ****ed it up and gave Conor a chance to sprawl.

LOL He ducked. Thats it. There was no attempt at any takedown. Watch the video. His arms don't even move for god sake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Can anyone explain why Connor keeps being handed rematches but never has to defend his belts?

Money

Money

Defending his belts doesn't bring in money?

Maybe just maybe he cannot live with his ego after a loss and Dana gives him what he wants because what McGregor wants, he gets. McGregor might swell own/run the UFC

Guarantee you if he lost to Cerrone he would cry for a rematch and be given it on a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I always like thinking about setting up this "fix" and how silly it is

UFC - Hi, Cowboy. We have it all sorted out.
    COWBOY - What do you need me to do?
    UFC - Conor will go for a big left straight away
    COWBOY - Hang on you did that with Aldo already
    UFC - Oh yes, ok so duck it and then clinch
    COWBOY - Then what?
    UFC - Conor will hit you with numerous shoulder strikes
    COWBOY - What?
    UFC - His shoulder. Then you can break.But not before he breaks your nose first!
    COWBOY - Can I head kick him then a little bit to make me look good?
    UFC - No but you can try and he will block. Then he head kicks you but make sure you aren't KOed. Just fall to the side
    COWBOY - How can I do that? It could take my head off
    UFC - Just do it!
    COWBOY - Then do I get to hit him?
    UFC - No just fall to the ground.
    COWBOY - Then Conor slips into my guard?
    UFC - No, he pummels you relentlessly until Herb stops it.
    COWBOY - Herb gives me an early stoppage at least?
    UFC - No you get a load of time as Conor keeps hitting you
    COWBOY - So I don't land anything?
    UFC -Nope. By the way tell your grandma to hug Conor afterward
    COWBOY - Wait, what?
    UFC - Tell her to hug him after the fight
    COWBOY - OK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Can anyone explain why Connor keeps being handed rematches but never has to defend his belts? Dana pretty much said Khabib needs to beat McGregor a second time to earn his legacy. Yet NEVER does he say McGregor needs to defend his belts for his legacy.

According to Dana Khabib beating Connor once is not enough. He needs to do it again. Does that mean he will say the same thing if McGregor won the rematch and then say McGregor needs to beat him twice? I doubt it. Sooner people realise Dana and Conor are a tag team the better

Isn't that not obvious? McGregor sells in a big way Khabib does not .....it's not like McGregor doesn't fight at all (at the time he had those belts) so he moves to a different weight gets his belt stripped, what's the issue

If Khabib holding his belt doesn't have a top 2/3 fight what's he gonna do? he's sure as fuk not moving up to 170 for a fight

and he's only been 'handed' 1 rematch from memory so far, with nothing on the line

Advertisement