Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

On invincibility - I think it was more he could beat anyone cos he had that left hand or knockout power, more than he was hard to beat - its not like he had been through many wars before then(Max being his longest and that just went to 3 rounds)

On poirir perspective fighting khabib v mcgregor perspective fighting khabib and how it looks after the fight:
    mcgregor puts huge pressure on himself or at least sets high expectations on what he is going to do
    poirier doesn't and wont set any real expectations, he will just say the best man will win.
    Then when it comes to after the fight the pre fight expectations will have an impact on post fight expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

That Alvarez fight was his highlight for me it's likely one of the most one sided title fights we've seen he made Alvarez look like an amateur it was an unbelievable performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

bmcc10 wrote: »
    That Alvarez fight was his highlight for me it's likely one of the most one sided title fights we've seen he made Alvarez look like and amateur it was an unbelievable performance.
    Cruz v Garbrandt was similar.

He seems to be "investing in himself" now rather than buying all manner of ****, so we might see a return to his old self, hopefully.

As much of a dip**** as he can be at times, he's always good to watch in a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

ASOT wrote: »
    That doesn't fit the narrative mate I wouldn't even bother.

Or its just that both of them are known for long periods of inactivity that its easy to forget about medical suspensions.

Can you get off Conor's nuts long enough for him to fight again this century?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Or its just that both of them are known for long periods of inactivity that its easy to forget about medical suspensions.

Can you get off Conor's nuts long enough for him to fight again this century?

What medical suspension? There suspended by the commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Cruz v Garbrandt was similar.

He seems to be "investing in himself" now rather than buying all manner of ****, so we might see a return to his old self, hopefully.

As much of a dip**** as he can be at times, he's always good to watch in a fight.

Problem is, it's unlikely he's willing to take the fights he needs to tune up. Not cans but guys who will push, force him to sharpen his game before he looks to face Khabib again.

Problem is, it's unlikely he's willing to take the fights he needs to tune up. Not cans but guys who will push, force him to sharpen his game before he looks to face Khabib again.
    Yeah I'd really like to see him not fight for a belt straight away, someone like Cowboy or the likes, who will give him a good push but can be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Would certainly like to see a couple of fights before Khabib.

His ring rust was very notable in his last fight. You cannot take over a year off and jump in against the next best guy in the world and not expect it to come back and bite you.

I still think a sharp in form Conor would beat Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Would certainly like to see a couple of fights before Khabib.

His ring rust was very notable in his last fight. You cannot take over a year off and jump in against the next best guy in the world and not expect it to come back and bite you.

Can't say I disagree with that BUT I also don't think we'll ever see a sharp, in form Conor again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

He just needs to get in the ring and start fighting again. Do what he did to get where he was. Is he capable of that anymore that's the big question but stepping back into the ring to fight Khabib without getting back to 100% fitness and sharpness is insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not doing anything for a while his hand is still in a cast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

2016 Conor is gone, and he’s not coming back.

Is he capable of that anymore that's the big question.
    Capable, probably yes. Willing, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

A fully fit Conor would still get mauled by Khabib. I'd love to see him fight Ferguson though, that could be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Doff wrote: »
    A fully fit Conor would still get mauled by Khabib.

'Alvarez' Conor might be lucky enough to get enough left punches in on time to affect the outcome. No chance of that happening these days I'd say.

He'll probably fight Khabib again but it won't be an interesting fight.
    I'd rather see him fight people he has a chance of beating these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Effects wrote: »
    'Alvarez' Conor might be lucky enough to get enough left punches in on time to affect the outcome. No chance of that happening these days I'd say.

He'll probably fight Khabib again but it won't be an interesting fight.
    I'd rather see him fight people he has a chance of beating these days.

I fixed that one for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Khabib needs knocking off his throne (by anyone), his style is extremely boring to watch for anyone other than avid fans of 'grappling' who lets be fair would be in the small % of people watching the big ppv fights ...........and he's never exactly been the most active of fighters for one reason and another

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭cletus

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Khabib needs knocking off his throne (by anyone), his style is extremely boring to watch for anyone other than avid fans of 'grappling' who lets be fair would be in the small % of people watching the big ppv fights ...........and he's never exactly been the most active of fighters for one reason and another

:( I quite enjoy watching Khabib fight. I think his top control is fascinating

Double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Khabibs wrestling is good to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Khabibs wrestling is good to watch though.

I did say for avid fans of grappling......he basically sat on McGregor for 3 rounds like a big bird

• Advertisement

I did say for avid fans of grappling......he basically sat on McGregor for 3 rounds like a big bird

Have you any grasp of how hard it is to hold another man down like that when he doesn't want to be held down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Blame Conor for not being good enough to get back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

cletus wrote: »
    Have you any grasp of how hard it is to hold another man down like that when he doesn't want to be held down?

It’s a lot harder when ur the one being held down!!

It’s a lot harder when ur the one being held down!!

My comment was in relation to Khabib sitting on Conor like a big bird

Then in the fourth made Conor quit..... isn't that the point of fighting? Make your opponent quit, knock them out or win on points? :D:D

I dislike Khabib... he seems like a fake person but as a fighter the guy is awesome.

cletus wrote: »
    My comment was in relation to Khabib sitting on Conor like a big bird

No offense meant dude!!
    And I think Khabib was doing a lot more than just sitting on Conor. He almost pounded him through the floor in that 2nd round.

We must have been watching different fights

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He also nearly twisted his head clean off

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He also nearly twisted his head clean off

He sure did. I think he could have easily broken Conor’s jaw/face bones or worse even neck if Conor hadn’t tapped. And Khabib was even a second reluctant to let go.
    Also in 2nd round Khabib almost pounded Conor into a ref stoppage.
    As brutal and all as this fight was on Conor, I still wanna see the rematch, tho he probably has to beat a top 5 first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

There's a cryptic message in here somewhere but I can't see it?

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1136486620440473600?s=19

Advertisement