Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The next month that a Saturday falls on the 12th is October.
    He also tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1136484491831259136

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There's a cryptic message in here somewhere but I can't see it?

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1136486620440473600?s=19

Nope, it’s just more promotion of the whiskey. Yawn.
    Tho 1 fight per year is normal now for past 3 years so we will probably see him back in late autumn. Maybe MSG in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Khabib strikes me as a fighter who seems unbeatable, until someone exposes his lack of stand up and knocks him out. A basic statement obviously, but we haven't really seen him face a competent wrestler, who also has solid stand up. I'd wager someone like Mendes or even Aldo back in their prime could cause him a lot of trouble, within the relevant weight class etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Khabib strikes me as a fighter who seems unbeatable, until someone exposes his lack of stand up and knocks him out. A basic statement obviously, but we haven't really seen him face a competent wrestler, who also has solid stand up. I'd wager someone like Mendes or even Aldo back in their prime could cause him a lot of trouble, within the relevant weight class etc

In fairness his stand up is improving. He knows this is a weaker area for him and had moved to AKA to work on that. As time goes on it will become harder to expose as his striking improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

It will take someone with serious leg kicks to make Khabib wilt in a fight. Regular striking and wrestling won't be good enough, he will only look seriously vulnerable once an Aldo type fighters chops his legs out from underneath him. Then he won't have the explosiveness in his takedowns to rely on. Cerrone and Ferguson are the two most likely to beat khabib in my opinion. I don't think Poirer will have the takedown defence to stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    It will take someone with serious leg kicks to make Khabib wilt in a fight. Regular striking and wrestling won't be good enough, he will only look seriously vulnerable once an Aldo type fighters chops his legs out from underneath him. Then he won't have the explosiveness in his takedowns to rely on. Cerrone and Ferguson are the two most likely to beat khabib in my opinion. I don't think Poirer will have the takedown defence to stop him.
    Khabib doesn't have explosive takedowns, he just chains them together til one works.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Ferguson will beat Khabib if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Khabib doesn't have explosive takedowns, he just chains them together til one works.

He's there to be caught on the way in, but nobody's managed it yet. He definitely can't shoot like Mendes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

There is levels in every sport, and Khabib is on another one to everyone else at the moment, in my opinion.

He beat McGregor, who could have rightly been considered the best lightweight (undefeated lineal champion) with relative ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

There is levels in every sport, and Khabib is on another one to everyone else at the moment, in my opinion.

He beat McGregor, who could have rightly been considered the best lightweight (undefeated lineal champion) with relative ease.

The Khabib fight was only McGregors 2nd fight at LW in UFC. And he was destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

The Nal wrote: »
    The Khabib fight was only McGregors 2nd fight at LW in UFC. And he was destroyed.

McGregor was an absolutely stylistic nightmare for Alvarez too in my opinion. RDA would have been far more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

After watching the cowboy and Ferguson fight I now believe Conor would have a hard time against either fighter especially Tony. Unreal tempo from Tony that didn't slow. Conor would have to try and finish the fight asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

After watching the cowboy and Ferguson fight I now believe Conor would have a hard time against either fighter especially Tony. Unreal tempo from Tony that didn't slow. Conor would have to try and finish the fight asap.

Completely agree. He's a nightmare match up for Conor. We've seen that he doesn't deal too well with forward pressure and Ferguson is just relentless. My favourite fighter to watch. Comes from so many different angles. Completely beats up his opponents. Really want to see him fight Khabib or McGregor next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I would fancy Conor to smoke both of them after last nights performances. They looked like two complete donkeys in the striking department.

Maybe Ferguson can ride out the storm and drown Conor late in the fight but he would get hit so much early on its hard to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Still dreaming Conor will be the same again.

Not gonna happen.

He knows it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    It will take someone with serious leg kicks to make Khabib wilt in a fight.

Edson Barbosa seriously hurt him with leg kicks in their fight. Khabib was "skipping" forward after him due to the pain but it didn't matter.....he still took him down and clobbered him the way he does to everyone.

155 lacks a truly talented BJJ practitioner. That's what could hurt Khabib....somebody who doesn't give a sh*t if they get taken down and can really threaten submissions off their back. There isn't anyone in the division that can do it so when Khabib gets people down.....the fight is usually over. The closest 155 has to this is Ferguson and that matchup is cursed to never happen.

Nobody else in the division poses much danger to him. Most of the guys who are more talented strikers can never get their striking going because of the threat of the takedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,299 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kirby wrote: »
    155 lacks a truly talented BJJ practitioner.

Charles Oliveira fights at lightweight. Most submissions in UFC history.
    Davi Ramos is an ADCC champion. Elite BJJ doesn't describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mellor wrote: »
    Charles Oliveira fights at lightweight. Most submissions in UFC history.
    Davi Ramos is an ADCC champion. Elite BJJ doesn't describe it.

Id love to see Khabib vs Nate on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

darced wrote: »
    I would fancy Conor to smoke both of them after last nights performances. They looked like two complete donkeys in the striking department.

Maybe Ferguson can ride out the storm and drown Conor late in the fight but he would get hit so much early on its hard to see.

It is genuinely hard to say. Ferguson has been wobbled in the past by just OK strikers, but the real problem is his godly stamina.

He can keep an unrelenting pace going through any number of rounds, something Conor most definitely cannot do.

I'd probably fancy full-skeleton-2016-Conor to get a KO in R1 or R2, but after that I wouldn't have much faith.

Tony got the job done. But they both looked terrible in there. Flat footed, winging hooks, just sloppy.
    Conor would pick that apart standing imo. And fighting on the inside like that is gifting the takedown to Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

An in-form Conor lights Tony up; too slow and too hittable....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It is genuinely hard to say. Ferguson has been wobbled in the past by just OK strikers, but the real problem is his godly stamina.

He can keep an unrelenting pace going through any number of rounds, something Conor most definitely cannot do.

I'd probably fancy full-skeleton-2016-Conor to get a KO in R1 or R2, but after that I wouldn't have much faith.

I don't think he'd be too keen to keep up a pace when Conor is cracking him full on. Hes a steady paced fighter. Not frenetic. Would suit Conor...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Is Conor's footwork quick enough to keep him out of Tony's firing line. Is Conor able to hit him clean and hard enough going backwards to stop Tony coming forward? Is Conor's gas tank big enough to deal with Tony's volume past two rounds?

I think Tony could pose a lot of similar problems to Conor as Nate did. Love him or hate him, not having him involved and in the ring is a loss to the sport.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Conor has the ability to keep distance with the straight kicks and he has the ability to slow down other fighters. He has pretty decent footwork from what I can see.
    I think it depends on how Tony would fight against him and do his usual style of not taking the foot off, but that would leave him open to Conor I would think.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Is Conor's footwork quick enough to keep him out of Tony's firing line. Is Conor able to hit him clean and hard enough going backwards to stop Tony coming forward? Is Conor's gas tank big enough to deal with Tony's volume past two rounds?

I think Tony could pose a lot of similar problems to Conor as Nate did. Love him or hate him, not having him involved and in the ring is a loss to the sport.

Yes, yes and no.

Conor excels at punishing off the back foot and has great footwork for distance management. He's also pretty decent at slipping shots and firing back immediately.
    His biggest problem is if he doesn't get rid of Tony inside 2 rounds. He'll fade and Tony will just pour on the pressure for the rest of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So is it Conor Vs Tony for interim LW so they can justify him headlining a PPV without an actual title fight and then the winner of that fights Khabib/Poirier?

Be glad to see the end of it, this division while interesting is a state since Alvarez lost the belt.

VW 1 wrote: »

Conor's co Torok of range his biggest asset. Tony was just plodding in last night. If he does that against Conor he's getting hit a lot.
    Whether he can weather it, and fight back in 4th and 5th. That's the question.

I don't think Tony is nearly as durable as Nate. Pettis dropped him. Lando dropped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Mellor wrote: »
    Conor's co Torok of range his biggest asset. Tony was just plodding in last night. If he does that against Conor he's getting hit a lot.
    Whether he can weather it, and fight back in 4th and 5th. That's the question.

I don't think Tony is nearly as durable as Nate. Pettis dropped him. Lando dropped him.

Tony's plodding seems his greatest strength/ weakness. Constant forward pressure and/or asking to be dropped. A real sight to behold. I don't think it's hyperbole to say he gets off on the violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Difference between Tony and Nate is Tony has sting in his shots, let's not forget Conor got wobbled by Nate in the first fight. Tony could definitely KO him, plus Tonys wrestling and BJJ are very dangerous. I think Tony also has a longer reach than Nate.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Difference between Tony and Nate is Tony has sting in his shots, let's not forget Conor got wobbled by Nate in the first fight. Tony could definitely KO him, plus Tonys wrestling and BJJ are very dangerous. I think Tony also has a longer reach than Nate.
    Tony wouldn't KO him, Conor has a decent chin on him. He took that wild haymaker from Khabib and was still aware of what was going on.
    Nate wobbled him while he was bolloxed from throwing power shots for a round or two.

His reach is about a half inch longer than Nates, but he's shorter as well.
    He's also very, very hittable, without Nates terminator ability.

Rounds 1 & 2 I'd favour Conor to get the job done. Anything after that, Tony pours it on and probably subs him.

Advertisement