Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Mellor wrote: »
    Masvidal is a much tougher fight than Justin.

Last night was a good performance from Justin the best we've seen from him. Much more restrained and matured, which he badly needed.

But he was knocking the head off a sloppy Tony, he showed nothing that made me think he beats Conor or Khabib. I'd still expect Conor to win on the feet and Khabib to get it to the ground.
    Maybe Justin could use his background to takedown Conor and impose his will, or could stay standing verses Khabib. But we just haven't seen it yet.

To add to that, McG has done some solid wrestling prep for Khabib. I'd argue he did as well anyone over the course of the fight, fouls aside. I don't imagine Gaethje poses the same threat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Good fight last night but by no means a classic, I didn't see alot there that would trouble McGregor (a peak McCgregor I might add) ........he beats 1 more easily than the other .....but he beats both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

To add to that, McG has done some solid wrestling prep for Khabib. I'd argue he did as well anyone over the course of the fight, fouls aside. I don't imagine Gaethje poses the same threat there.

Conor definitely put the work in, but nothing he's done at this stage will bring him close to Gaethje's level. He's wrestling his whole life. He chooses not to use it in MMA, but that choice will be removed against Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

derfderf wrote: »
    Conor definitely put the work in, but nothing he's done at this stage will bring him close to Gaethje's level. He's wrestling his whole life. He chooses not to use it in MMA, but that choice will be removed against Khabib.

I think he was refering to Gaethje vrs Conor.
    As in, Conor's wrestling prep will stand to him if he fights Gaethje.
    That's assuming that Gaethje recognises that he needs to wrestle Conor. Which is debatable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

firstly on Fergusin he looked awful fromn the first bell, He had absolutely no zipo in his shots or in his movement
    He made an absolute balls of it cutting weigh only a few weeks ago you oculd clearly see he was a step or two behind his normal self,

Justin done what he had to and was very good and matured ,

Ferguson was a zombie and still managed to drop Justin
    I think Conor would stop both ,
    Justin could get to him first and Tony could sub him so both very live fights
    but if I had to id back Conor

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I think he was refering to Gaethje vrs Conor.
    As in, Conor's wrestling prep will stand to him if he fights Gaethje.
    That's assuming that Gaethje recognises that he needs to wrestle Conor. Which is debatable

Ahh, I see. I thought he meant he doubts Gaethje could do what Conor did in the Khabib fight.

I can't see Gaethje suddenly shooting for takedowns at this stage in his career. It couldn't hurt for him to look for one when he's in trouble, but he won't turn into Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Conor has zero chance against this Gaethje. Only against the brainless one from poirier/alvarez who would walk forward non stop with his hand up taking any punch thrown at him.

He woud've had a good chance against Ferguson though in that form. His offense and defense were both poor. Conor usually posts something on twitter after ufc events, nothing this time, probably kicking himself he didnt step up and take the fight like he said he would if someone dropped out, could've taken Tonys winning streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Homelander

I can't see how anyone could claim Conor has zero chance against Gaethje, or vice versa either.

Conor could easily beat Justin. Justin could easily beat Conor. It's an excellent match up and very 50/50. Either knocking the other out in the first round wouldn't change that or diminish either fighter.

Homelander wrote: »
    I can't see how anyone could claim Conor has zero chance against Gaethje, or vice versa either.

Conor could easily beat Justin. Justin could easily beat Conor. It's an excellent match up and very 50/50. Either knocking the other out in the first round wouldn't change that or diminish either fighter.

I don't see any likely path to victory for Conor. People who think Gaethje has a bad chin cause he was knocked out by Poirier or Alvarez are same who think Tony has a bad chin because he gets dropped alot. Justin and Tony are the 2 toughest fighters at 155. It would take a tremendous amount of punishment to put Justin out. Conor does not have the ability for that kind of output. His only chance is landing a picture perfect shot which was a possibility if Justin was still fighting like a human punchbag. His style is so technical now the most likely scenario is Conor tiring and getting knocked out. Conor was hurt on the feet by diaz, mayweather, khabib. No doubt Justin hits the hardest of them all and in his current form will no doubt land plenty of punches on Conor unless he gets caught with something good very early. I would give it 90/10 in favor of Justin. Very slim chance Conor could hurt Justin badly enough before tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,650 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Guys, am I missing something with Justin?

Conor has the perfect blend of range and speed and timing and power and accuracy to really nail Justin hard and clean, to KO him....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

spix wrote: »
    I don't see any likely path to victory for Conor. People who think Gaethje has a bad chin cause he was knocked out by Poirier or Alvarez are same who think Tony has a bad chin because he gets dropped alot. Justin and Tony are the 2 toughest fighters at 155. It would take a tremendous amount of punishment to put Justin out. Conor does not have the ability for that kind of output. His only chance is landing a picture perfect shot which was a possibility if Justin was still fighting like a human punchbag. His style is so technical now the most likely scenario is Conor tiring and getting knocked out. Conor was hurt on the feet by diaz, mayweather, khabib. No doubt Justin hits the hardest of them all and in his current form will no doubt land plenty of punches on Conor unless he gets caught with something good very early. I would give it 90/10 in favor of Justin. Very slim chance Conor could hurt Justin badly enough before tiring.

I believe Conor has all the tools to finish Gaethje imo. I do agree on the getting tired part however and would have the fight at 50/50 but it's madness to suggest he couldn't finish Gaethje considering he's finished everyone he's beat in the ufc bar Holloway which was down to the knee & Diaz which is self explanatory.

Conor has zero chance against this Gaethje. Only against the brainless one from poirier/alvarez who would walk forward non stop with his hand up taking any punch thrown at him.

He woud've had a good chance against Ferguson though in that form. His offense and defense were both poor. Conor usually posts something on twitter after ufc events, nothing this time, probably kicking himself he didnt step up and take the fight like he said he would if someone dropped out, could've taken Tonys winning streak.

Ferguson dropped Justin with a one off shot ( bell could have saved him )
    Then you can be sure Conor can drop him ,

Justin is a good fighter but Ferguson was horrendous this weekend form the first bell he had ZERO zip in anything ,movement wise or shot wise,

All 3 have a 50/50 chance against each other in my opinion but if I had to bet i'd take Conor to finish the other two ,

The above is extreme post fight bias.

Tony landed a huge uppercut flush on Gaethje. If the round was 20 seconds longer. Justin might not have survived. No reason to think Conor wouldn’t find those openings repeatedly.

I’d be delight if the bookies think Conor has a 10% chance.

I would give it 90/10 in favor of Justin. Very slim chance Conor could hurt Justin badly enough before tiring.

I'd be 60-40 Conor here...

Both can beat each other...

I reckon over ten fights Conor wins 6, maybe more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I think conor would light up tony. He gets hit way too easy.
    Justin would be tough as he has really learned from the two earlier losses, but apart from Diaz and his concrete head, anyone that stands in front of conor gets sparked.

Justin wore Tony down. Every punch Tony landed was returned with twice the power.
    That's not how it would be with Conor. He has more power than Justin, so says the only guy to be punched by both (Poirier).
    Justin's become a lot more composed since they fought, but he hasn't added iron to his knuckles.

Edit: I forgot about Eddie. I haven't seen him comment, but i can't imagine his opinion would differ.

Conor won't be eating near as much as Tony....Plus, Justin will be that bit more cautious himself....Conor can really hurt him when he lands.....

Justin's best chance is to get Conor to ground and use his ground game (albeit not used that much to date) to contain and submit Conor.

Straight up stand up and I will go with Conor...

walshb wrote: »
    Conor won't be eating near as much as Tony....Plus, Justin will be that bit more cautious himself....Conor can really hurt him when he lands.....

Justin's best chance is to get Conor to ground and use his ground game (albeit not used that much to date) to contain and submit Conor.

Straight up stand up and I will go with Conor...

Here's something no one speaks about ,
    Justin doesn't use offensive wrestling while fighting he just never uses it,
    In my opinion if he tries to against Conor his striking will suffer he will become more frantic and wild, I guess less measured is the word

Currently he has really try to curtail his natural instinct to be wild he done so brilliant against Tony but if you add wrestling I think he will become sloppy as he will have to much to think about ,

Conor's natural style is to be calm and measured I think that's why he beats Justin .

Justin will try to play Conor's game and lose,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Keyboard warrior stuff. He ducked Gaehtje in January to beat up an old tin can in Cerrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭xtal191

At least his fake good guy/religious ****e is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

ricero wrote: »
    Think the rumours are true and McGregor defiantly ducked the Gaethje fight to take on a washed up tin can in Cowboy Cerrone.

Mcgregor never even interacted on twitter with Gaethje or used his name. Safe to say he only want to fight the likes of Diaz, Masvidal, and boxing exhibitions with out of shape pensioners from now on. He dont want that violence.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1259929334191665156?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor hyper tonight

I think it's safe to say Justin said nothing about his skills as a father, that was Ali again.

derfderf wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say Justin said nothing about his skills as a father, that was Ali again.

Hence the Jihadi comment. Ali is a scumbag.

Conor dishes it out, so he's fair game for any **** talking directed at him.
    But Ali goes after Dee or the kid to get a reaction.

A bit cringe seeing Conor say he knew Tony wasn't as good as people thought, yet he decided to fight cowboy coming off 2 knockout losses. Conor could very easily have fought Justin or Tony. If he saw something other people didn't, why not fight Tony and be the one to end his winning streak? Or why not fight Justin, the one most fans wanted to see. Apparently the Justin fight was booked but then Conor broke his finger and his own words 'asked for a different opponent' afterwards. Hes also been talking about taking over the 170lb division for 4 years yet hes only fought Diaz and Cowboy at that weight. The 170 comment pretty much convinces me the rest of what he says is also just talk. Hopefully I'm wrong and he actually fights Tony, Dustin or Justin next, which is what he should do. But I feel his next fight will be Diaz or Khabib as they the least risk highest reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He needs to stay quiet until he fights a top contender. He could've had the Gaethje fight earlier in the year and he hand picked Cowboy. Fighting Nate again next doesn't cut it either.

A bit cringe seeing Conor say he knew Tony wasn't as good as people thought, yet he decided to fight cowboy coming off 2 knockout losses. Conor could very easily have fought Justin or Tony. If he saw something other people didn't, why not fight Tony and be the one to end his winning streak?
    You're forgetting that Tony was booked to fight Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Must've been on the Bolivian marching powder again.

Advertisement