Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

eagle eye wrote: »
    Silva lost his title at 38, last won a championship bout at 37, Woodley lost his title at 37, Miocic is now 37, Bisping's last championship win was at 37.
    Seems like you are adding years to everyone of them.

I didnt go to the trouble of checking it was off the top of my head. Your arguing over a couple of months here madness

• Registered Users Posts: 38,400 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ush1 wrote:
    I didn't say it made it okay. I'm saying you saying Ali is a scumbag and referencing him commenting on peoples families is something Conor has also done, so I presume you think Conors a scumbag as well. Not to mention other things Conor has engaged in.
    Saying you are going to rape somebody should be against the law. Are you comparing insults to this?

US2 wrote:
    I didnt go to the trouble of checking it was off the top of my head. Your arguing over a couple of months here madness

A couple of months? It's 2 years of n some cases. All guys that never retired and younger than a man who hasn't fought in four years. Khabib is looks ng for a soft fight was my comment. I asked you to provide a list of champions at that age or older and you lie about ages hoping you'd get away with it. GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Saying you are going to rape somebody should be against the law. Are you comparing insults to this?

Yes I am. Both words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yes I am. Both words.

Ali was a serious scumbag who was also a massive hypocrite. Mcgregor is also one aswell but he is no where near the level of scum that Ali was. Ali once said things like
    "a black man should be killed if he's messing with a white woman"
    "if a black woman ever dated a white man she should be killed too"

He hated segregation but then joined the Nation of Islam who advocated the exact same policy, with much harsher penalties for breaking the rules.

Equating Mcgregors scummishness to Ali is foolish at best. Sometimes hatred of someone becomes so irrational it blinds you. Like those that hate Trump to such a degree that they will actually argue that the man is not rich.

• Advertisement

Ali was a serious scumbag who was also a massive hypocrite. Mcgregor is also one aswell but he is no where near the level of scum that Ali was. Ali once said things like
    "a black man should be killed if he's messing with a white woman"
    "if a black woman ever dated a white man she should be killed too"

He hated segregation but then joined the Nation of Islam who advocated the exact same policy, with much harsher penalties for breaking the rules.

Equating Mcgregors scummishness to Ali is foolish at best. Sometimes hatred of someone becomes so irrational it blinds you. Like those that hate Trump to such a degree that they will actually argue that the man is not rich.

The poster said Conor dishes it out so he's fair game for negativity coming back at him, but Ali talks about peoples families.

I'm simply saying McGregor has done the same thing.

I don't have blind hatred for McGregor but I also know it takes a certain kind of person to punch an old man in the back of the head whilst he's sitting at a bar.

I'm not going to debate levels of "scummishness".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didn't say it made it okay. I'm saying you saying Ali is a scumbag and referencing him commenting on peoples families is something Conor has also done, so I presume you think Conors a scumbag as well. Not to mention other things Conor has engaged in.
    I’ve thought Ali was a scumbag since before he said that, not because he said that. And I already said that Conor shouldn’t have insulted Khabib’s father. It’s possible to disagree with both sides.

I don’t think the burka thing is remotely on the level as threatening to rape somebody. Jesus. Kinda shocked that you’d say they were comparable as they’re words. Are all insults ok, if they’re just words?

Mellor wrote: »
    I’ve thought Ali was a scumbag since before he said that, not because he said that. And I already said that Conor shouldn’t have insulted Khabib’s father. It’s possible to disagree with both sides.

I don’t think the burka thing is remotely on the level as threatening to rape somebody. Jesus. Kinda shocked that you’d say they were comparable as they’re words. Are all insults ok, if they’re just words?

I never said any insults were okay?:confused:

The way you phrased your post sounded like you were drawing a distinction in that Ali is worse than Conor because he mentions peoples families.

Yes I am. Both words.
    So you are ok with people using the N word to black people, the F to gay people then if it's only words?

Just accept you are wrong here. Threatening to rape somebody is a whole lot more serious than anything McGregor has done. And I'm not taking McGregor's side here, I detest the way he went on for a couple of years. I get that it was about money but I never liked it for a second.

I can tell you if somebody said they were going to rape my wife I'd be calling a garda immediately and if they couldn't do something about it I'd find another way to do something about it.

I never said any insults were okay?:confused:
    A poster asked if threatening to rape someone was the same as insults.
    You said yes, they’re both words. :confused:
    Our posts now are words, are they comparably to the above?
    The way you phrased your post sounded like you were drawing a distinction in that Ali is worse than Conor because he mentions peoples families.
    Threatening to rape someone is a bit beyond “mentioning” somebody’s family.

That’s just something Ali Abdelaziz did, it’s not the reason I think I he’s A scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That’s just something Ali Abdelaziz did, it’s not the reason I think I he’s A scumbag.

The whole Ali think makes little to no sense to me,
    The amount of guys he manages who are pro "USA USA " but yet have him as there manger ,

Makes no sense to me at all ,

derfderf wrote: »
    Wasn't Usman's account hacked? I know Ali puts some crap on his fighter's accounts, but the stuff that day was far worse than Ali usually writes.
    That what they said afterwards. But Usman didn’t sound too convincing on camera when asked about it. And odd that hacker would delete the tweet. Then shortly after post his bank balance. That looks very like a scramble to appear hacked by posting sensitive info, that’s actually useless.
    If his Twitter was actually hacked, they wouldn’t see his back balance.

And yeah, way worse than normal. But Ali was out at the fight that night. Could have been “worked up”. Nobody knows for sure. Maybe his bank and Twitter were hacked at same time. And the hacker decided to post on twitter rather than steal.

So you are ok with people using the N word to black people, the F to gay people then if it's only words?

Just accept you are wrong here. Threatening to rape somebody is a whole lot more serious than anything McGregor has done. And I'm not taking McGregor's side here, I detest the way he went on for a couple of years. I get that it was about money but I never liked it for a second.

I can tell you if somebody said they were going to rape my wife I'd be calling a garda immediately and if they couldn't do something about it I'd find another way to do something about it.

Wrong about what? I'd be reluctant to add anything into law with regards free speech. It's obviously not a nice thing to say, again my point was McGregor insults people's family members also. Not that its fine to say you're going to rape someone.

The poster mentioned it should be against the law, they are both simply words in the eyes of the law. Where as punching someone in a pub is actually against the law.

Mike Tyson said he was gonna eat Lennox Lewis' children, would you jail him based on those words?

McGregor didn't just "mention" Khabibs da, wife and religion but sure ya knew that.

Ush1 wrote:
    Wrong about what? I'd be reluctant to add anything into law with regards free speech. It's obviously not a nice thing to say, again my point was McGregor insults people's family members also. Not that its fine to say you're going to rape someone.
    You really haven't a clue.

You really haven't a clue.

About what exactly?

Ush1 wrote:
    About what exactly?
    You'll never understand so I will not waste my time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads give it a rest with the digs and comments back and forth and put away the handbags. We are all dealing with lockdown and isolation and getting a bit agitated etc but I have no problem isolating a few of you from this forum for a month if you don't cut out the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Homelander

Conor is still an excellent fighter. The way he minced Cowboy shows that. Yeah, sure, Cowboy will never be anything other than a gatekeeper, but let's be real here - while beating Cowboy in the top 15 is no great shakes, demolishing him in 40 odd seconds is not to be sniffed at either.

Look through all his recent losses - only Justin put him out in the first round, and it was nowhere near as fast and devastating as Conor.

I don't think it's outlandish to think Justin could whup Conor either, but it would be an amazing, competitive match up that could go either way.

I would much rather see that than than Conor V Khabib II (which he would likely lose) or Diaz III.

Or even Conor v Tony at this point. Going for Khabib again is just painfully transparent. But I suppose can't blame a guy going for the money train either. His record is still exceptional, he could chalk up a string of losses and still have a) a good record and b) major draw power.

He probably has an overall strategy in place like high risk/low risk/high risk, unto infinitum as long as he wants to make cash. Realistically he could fight for 5 more years and make countless millions alternating between high/lower risk fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I'm not Khabib's biggest fan, but who are the lightweight greats he should have fought, but didn't? With the exception of Tony, he's fought the most logical, available, person each time from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

The whole Ali think makes little to no sense to me,
    The amount of guys he manages who are pro "USA USA " but yet have him as there manger ,

Makes no sense to me at all ,

I'm the same the whole set up is strange.

On twitter he gets more praise as a manager when "his" fighters win then their trainers do.

its weird, he reminds me of puff daddy with biggie smalls, he is like a manager in WWE he is that involved with the fighters, im surprised he isnt in their corner half the time.

The poster mentioned it should be against the law, they are both simply words in the eyes of the law.
    Not referring to previous situations specifically.
    You can be legally accountable for things you say. Including things you say online. The idea that everything is simply words in the eyes of the law is completely wrong.
    Mike Tyson said he was gonna eat Lennox Lewis' children, would you jail him based on those words?
    One of the more bizarre moments in Tyson career.
    He was promoting a fight with Lewis, and said it to Lewis, not to his kids. I highly doubt that Lewis was concerned about his children or that they knew anything about it.
    McGregor didn't just "mention" Khabibs da, wife and religion but sure ya knew that.
    You're the one that reduced the comment to "Ali mentioned" not me. :confused: I'm really not sure what point you are making or defending anymore, so maybe best to leave it.
    I'm not Khabib's biggest fan, but who are the lightweight greats he should have fought, but didn't? With the exception of Tony, he's fought the most logical, available, person each time from what I can see.

Recently he has fought the best available guy in the division. Obviously not as he's building the streak. From here there should be a constant contender ready to challenge if he stays champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Recently he has fought the best available guy in the division. Obviously not as he's building the streak. From here there should be a constant contender ready to challenge if he stays champion.

If he beats Justin (who's only really come into the picture recently), and Tony, who's left for him? He's beaten the only two former champions he's had a realistic opportunity to fight.

It's just strange, the LW division is usually called the most competitive (along with WW), but Khabib comes close to clearing it out and he's beaten nobody according to some.

If he beats Justin (who's only really come into the picture recently), and Tony, who's left for him? He's beaten the only two former champions he's had a realistic opportunity to fight.

I think whoever rises out of Hooker, Felder, Oliveira will be the best contender (outside of rematches).

I'd only give one out of the three a realistic a chance in catching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Where to next for McG? Surely he has to look to fight Justin?

Only real issue there is, if he wins, his only realistic fight at LW after that is Khabib again. Not sure it's a fight he wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's just strange, the LW division is usually called the most competitive (along with WW), but Khabib comes close to clearing it out and he's beaten nobody according to some.

I don't think Lightweight division is great at all I don't think its ever been that good, As the UFC want you to think

Frankie was the champ and he basically a feather weight,

Ben Henderson good solid fighter but hardly steller

Pettis losses as much as he wins

RDA was on a tear but lost to the likes of Guida, Tibau , Tyson Grififn , Jermey stephans

Eddie Alvarez in my eyes the most overated lightweight ever , had two stinkers before he beat RDA and lost 3 of 5 since,

Then we have Conor came up from feather weight and absolutely wrecked Alvarez,

To me the Davison has good fights as the guys are all similar good fighter but not really elite,

Id have loved to see Khabib against a fully fit Conor I'm one of few who think Conor has a big chance, Pity Ferguson never got his shot he's getting on to for a light weight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Fully fit Conor still loses to Khabib for me.

• Advertisement

Where to next for McG? Surely he has to look to fight Justin?

Only real issue there is, if he wins, his only realistic fight at LW after that is Khabib again. Not sure it's a fight he wants?

#1 Justin is fighting Khabib.
    #2 Tony is probably taking time off.
    #3 Poirier is available
    #4 Conor
    #5 Hooker available
    #6 Felder available

Advertisement