Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Mellor wrote: »
    #1 Justin is fighting Khabib.
    #2 Tony is probably taking time off.
    #3 Poirier is available
    #4 Conor
    #5 Hooker available
    #6 Felder available

Yes, but realistically. Is he going to be looking at the #5 or #6 ranked contender? No money in those fights.

He's already fought and beaten Poirier (who let's not forget couldn't take Khabib as far as an unfocused McG did)

So it's only Tony, Justin, Khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

derfderf wrote: »
    If he beats Justin (who's only really come into the picture recently).

If Conor genuinely believed he could beat Justin then he would have fought him in January. Instead he chose Cowboy, a guy's pretty much on his way to retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Where to next for McG? Surely he has to look to fight Justin?

Only real issue there is, if he wins, his only realistic fight at LW after that is Khabib again. Not sure it's a fight he wants?

He's clearly trying to get the Justin fight for July, will Justin take the money fight while it's there or wait for the Khabib showdown after Ramadan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

robwen wrote: »
    He's clearly trying to get the Justin fight for July, will Justin take the money fight while it's there or wait for the Khabib showdown after Ramadan

Can an interim title holder defend it vs another fighter instead of taking on the champ if Khabib is available?? I guess the rules can just be made up as they go along.
    When it comes to Conor I’m just happy to see him back fighting, and he seems willing to take anyone on. There are many great opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Karate wrote:
    If Conor genuinely believed he could beat Justin then he would have fought him in January. Instead he chose Cowboy, a guy's pretty much on his way to retirement.
    Another one who doesn't get it. Cowboy was a bigger draw in January which means more money.
    Gaethje is a bigger draw now and Conor is claiming they'll meet in July. Why would he want to meet him now after his last performance if he wanted to avoid him in January? I'll give you the answer, money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

There's no way Cowboy was a bigger draw in January. All Gaethje's fights in the UFC have been excellent. And he'd already beaten Cowboy easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Doff wrote: »
    Fully fit Conor still loses to Khabib for me.

Ye possible but he had some decent parts of rounds and even won one round,

I'm by no means a big fan of Conor but he certainly was no where near his normal self movement or snap wise ,A bit like I Ferguson the other night it just wasn't him out there,

Still Ill wrote: »
    There's no way Cowboy was a bigger draw in January. All Gaethje's fights in the UFC have been excellent. And he'd already beaten Cowboy easily.

I think to the causal fan who there are more of Cowboy at that point was a bigger draw ,
    Now Justin is a bigger draw then and now Justin was a tuffer fight ,

Still Ill wrote:
    Before the weekend Gaethje had only fought on one ppv card.
    I think that tells you all you need to know as to where he stood as far as popularity is concerned.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think that tells you all you need to know as to where he stood as far as popularity is concerned.

100% CORRECT
    People seem to forget its not about how you personally rate Gaethje its about how well know he is to the causal MMA fan , and as you pointed out they probably only seen him once before,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

robwen wrote: »
    Ramadan is over in 10 days.
    Can an interim title holder defend it vs another fighter instead of taking on the champ if Khabib is available?? I guess the rules can just be made up as they go along.
    The HW and Interim HW titles where on the line at consecutive PPVs.
    Randy v Lesnar and Nog v Mir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The January fight was 1st step in repairing his image a bit. So we got charming and respectful Conor back instead of angry/rude Conor that faced Khabib. So cerrone was the most ideal component, with Gatche it would have been but nasty again. With that fight in jan and his efforts with corona, Conor has done a lot of repair work. Now he can step it up a notch and revert to the macho mind games, tho hopefully not go so nasty as he did with Khabib. I think when Conor appeared in court and told the judge he would not be there again, he was very sincere. He was saying from back then also that he would fight 3 or 4 times this year, obviously this was interrupted by corona but he may still make 3. Justin/Diaz/Masvidal in July then Khabib in msg or Vegas in December is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I think to the causal fan who there are more of Cowboy at that point was a bigger draw ,
    Now Justin is a bigger draw then and now Justin was a tuffer fight ,

Plus the history between Connor and cowboy
    Also maybe McGregor wanted to give cowboy a pay day because he liked him sort of??

looking at the saturday fight, it's obvious Justin has no cardio issues at 155, so it would be a good fight but I think a fit McGregor will win out only because I don't see alot of difference stylistically between justin and eddie Álvarez.

He has a decend right hook but tony was there to be hit, McGregor will not be and he's amazing with distance too. Justin is very wild and like many, could easily walk into a rocker of a left hook. I see a fit focused McGregor doing it and maybe even in 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Plus the history between Connor and cowboy
    Also maybe McGregor wanted to give cowboy a pay day because he liked him sort of??

From what was reported Cowboy didn't do as well as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Ramadan is over in 10 days.

The HW and Interim HW titles where on the line at consecutive PPVs.
    Randy v Lesnar and Nog v Mir.

That's great had it in my head Khabib wasn't available till around September, seeing reports now saying he's looking to fight in July & Dana saying Justin Khabib for fight island in July but Justin said in his post fight presser...

“I’m not fighting in July. Fu*k that! [I will] probably [fight] in August, September. Something like that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

He has headlined all four cards he has been on in between those two ppv’s.

That tells you how his popularity is.

What a nonsense post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not referring to previous situations specifically.
    You can be legally accountable for things you say. Including things you say online. The idea that everything is simply words in the eyes of the law is completely wrong.

Not the point I was making really at all.
    One of the more bizarre moments in Tyson career.
    He was promoting a fight with Lewis, and said it to Lewis, not to his kids. I highly doubt that Lewis was concerned about his children or that they knew anything about it.

Yeah cos I'd say Conor and Dee are terrified of Ali. Pull the other one mate will ya.

You're the one that reduced the comment to "Ali mentioned" not me. :confused: I'm really not sure what point you are making or defending anymore, so maybe best to leave it.

Disingenuous. For purposes of comparison and satire, Conor insulted Khabibs father to his face, insulted his wife and his religion numerous times, Ali mentioned Conor's girlfriend.

I'm not sure the point you are making, Conor and Ali have both done some scummy things it looks like to me.

mdwexford wrote:
    He has headlined all four cards he has been on in between those two ppv’s.

]He has headlined all four cards he has been on in between those two ppv’s.
    That tells you how his popularity is.
    What a nonsense post.
    Avid watchers like you and me would know plenty about him but the big show fans wouldn't but they'd know Cowboy very well.
    Another person has already said this but I didn't see you call their post nonsense.

• Advertisement

So you are ok with people using the N word to black people, the F to gay people then if it's only words?

Just accept you are wrong here. Threatening to rape somebody is a whole lot more serious than anything McGregor has done. And I'm not taking McGregor's side here, I detest the way he went on for a couple of years. I get that it was about money but I never liked it for a second.

I can tell you if somebody said they were going to rape my wife I'd be calling a garda immediately and if they couldn't do something about it I'd find another way to do something about it.

No you wouldn't. In much the same way that if someone said "I'll ****ing murder you" in athe heat of an argument or in public, you wouldn't actually contact the Garda even if you were not actually in fear of your life?

Do you actually think there was a CREDIBLE threat of rape or do you think it was said to get under the skin of someone who has been accused of rape?

You would call the guards and if they did nothing you would assault the person? Should they call the guards then?

A ****ing world of difference between a credible threat and what was said.

The fact you'd even mention the Garda is laughable.

You would call the guards and if they did nothing you would assault the person? Should they call the guards then?
    I never said I'd assault anyone. I said I'd find some way to make him pay.
    Tbh if anybody said they were going to rape another man's wife/partner and he kicked the lard out of him for it I'd be very upset if it wasn't thrown out of court.

Ush1 wrote:
    Disingenuous. For purposes of comparison and satire, Conor insulted Khabibs father to his face, insulted his wife and his religion numerous times, Ali mentioned Conor's girlfriend.
    He didn't 'mention' his girlfriend, didn't call her ugly, or a slut or stupid, he said he was going to rape her. Ffs are you braindead or what? That's extremely serious.

He didn't 'mention' his girlfriend, didn't call her ugly, or a slut or stupid, he said he was going to rape her. Ffs are you braindead or what? That's extremely serious.

Get the sand out of your vadge mate, chill out.

I think calling his wife and towel and insulting the Islamic faith is considered fairly serious by those lads. If you want to see people literally put to death for their words, look no further than the middle east.

I never said I'd assault anyone. I said I'd find some way to make him pay.
    Tbh if anybody said they were going to rape another man's wife/partner and he kicked the lard out of him for it I'd be very upset if it wasn't thrown out of court.

What if he said he would kill you? Why is your emotional response to the word rape worse than the word kill? Nowt to do with anything man. I can't be held responsible for your emotion.

The fact is, you are advocating for words to be a crime, I'm advocating that McGregor should embrace ****e talk because he made a career out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Ush1 wrote: »
    Get the sand out of your vadge mate, chill out.

I think calling his wife and towel and insulting the Islamic faith is considered fairly serious by those lads. If you want to see people literally put to death for their words, look no further than the middle east.

Classy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

He’s very good at playing good Conor/ bad Conor!

Quite the turnaround from bang of sh*te off your da.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Give it a rest.

Hopefully he pulls through.

Advertisement