Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Joe Rogan was talking about a New Years Eve fight with Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What does he gain from a 3rd Diaz fight?
    Nothing right now. Hey dnt going for that unless nothing else is on. I'd say his preferred fights right now in order are Khabib, Gaethje, Masvidal. Khabib is definitely not happening. I think it'll end up being Gaethje as it looks like Masvidal is being lined up for Usman. Khabib is looking to get a GSP fight going. It's closer than it's ever been even though it's still a long way from happening.
    Everyone could see the punishment Diaz took from Masvidal, who still couldn't put him away.
    Yeah, Nate needs a couple of wins to make a third bout with Conor a money spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Iron Mike speaketh the trutheth ...and changed the room

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Iron Mike speaketh the trutheth ...and changed the room

And he's right.
    I never thought mcg would.win.that match but to.go.10 rounds with the best boxer in the world in a sport where you can use less than you're used to is good.going in my books.
    The amount of people who **** on Connor for.that I find baffling.
    That's not to say Conoor doesn't deserve guff but ****.give the man an inch of credit.

Also I don't think we will ever see Khabib 2.
    What was Connor really.up to that final week. Seems he just went on the session however having the whole world look at you might cause a bender or two

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And he's right.
    I never thought mcg would.win.that match but to.go.10 rounds with the best boxer in the world in a sport where you can use less than you're used to is good.going in my books.
    That's not to say Conoor doesn't deserve guff but ****.give the man an inch of credit.
    That's just the logical way to view it.

No reasonable person though he would win. The boxing fraternity basically said Floyd ends it at will. Some were even genuinely talking about a serious risk. Now, he never looked like winning. But he landed punches, he won rounds. And many of those reasonable people, can out afterwards and said "he did better than expected, I'm surprised. Well done".

Then you have the clueless ones, who bought into the fight. Afterwards, they realise he was never close to winning. And the same ignorance they had them buying in, has them slagging the performance. :rolleyes:

Or else, they're just always negative.
    "Floyd is the Goat. Running at 5am, never drinks. Conor he hasn't a hope. He could be killed in there. Won't land"
    after fight...
    "Lol, he lost to a retire 40 year old. No power to knock him out"

Also I don't think we will ever see Khabib 2.
    What was Connor really.up to that final week. Seems he just went on the session however having the whole world look at you might cause a bender or two

We'll see Khabib 2 before we see Floyd 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Conor and Khabib was a pure advertising scheme for his whiskey. In relation to Floyd he definitely toyed with Conor, but respect to anyone who is willing to get into the ring with someone who has a record of 49-0.

I can see either:
    Conor v Tony, winner fights the winner of Khabib/Gaethje
    Conor sits out for a while, fights loser of Khabib/Gaethje, beats Gaethje and we get Khabib 2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Doff wrote: »
    Conor and Khabib was a pure advertising scheme for his whiskey. In relation to Floyd he definitely toyed with Conor, but respect to anyone who is willing to get into the ring with someone who has a record of 49-0.

I can see either:
    Conor v Tony, winner fights the winner of Khabib/Gaethje
    Conor sits out for a while, fights loser of Khabib/Gaethje, beats Gaethje and we get Khabib 2

Floyd didn't toy with Conor at all its nonsens spouted by boxers ,

Floyd didn't want to engage early as he didn't have any idea of what kinda skill or power Conor had, I think it was obvious

Conor really surprised him with his boxing skill but Floyd is a master and been in there so long that he didn't panic and once he saw Conor starting to tire he knew it was his time to walk him down and get him out of there,

Conor said himself the most impressive thing about Floyd was how calm he remained through out the whole fight even when Conor thought he was doing well Floyd remained ice cold calm .

Floyd didn't toy with Conor at all its nonsens spouted by boxers ,

Floyd didn't want to engage early as he didn't have any idea of what kinda skill or power Conor had, I think it was obvious

He definitely spent the first 3 rounds scoping him out, but after that it was all for show.

Floyd tried to place a bet to win in under 9.5 rounds, with rumors of his entourage placing the bet for him, then came out very aggressively winning in the 10th round. Not saying it was fixed, but Floyd could easily have dictated when that fight ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

He definitely spent the first 3 rounds scoping him out, but after that it was all for show.

Floyd tried to place a bet to win in under 9.5 rounds, with rumors of his entourage placing the bet for him, then came out very aggressively winning in the 10th round. Not saying it was fixed, but Floyd could easily have dictated when that fight ended.

Na. Floyd clearly tried to take him out round 6 but Conor fought back and was slipping most of Floyds punches, then Floyd went back to how he fought in previous rounds after realising Conor was still in it. Then he definitely tried to knock him out in round 9 but Conor still managed to survive even though he was gassed and taking loads of shots. So he definitely didn't dictate when the fight ended as it ended in round 10 and he wanted it to end in round 6 and 9. The 'bet' info came out after the fight ended so it was either just luck or pretending he made the perfect bet as I feel if that bet was real that Floyd would've posted a photo of the winning betslip like he has done before for loads of his winning bets.
    "I think that we bet 100 on 9½," Mayweather told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio after the fight. "I gave my guy six figures to go bet. I have to make sure he bet because earlier today I went to the sports book to bet and they wouldn't let me bet."

I this disagree and think that's silly comment ,

For instance even when Conor was out of gas and spent in the 9th Floyd tried to get him out of there and didn't so there that Theory he could end it when he wanted gone ,

• Advertisement

Doff wrote:
    Why would he be betting on under 9.5 rounds and then being in so much control of the fight that he wins in the 10th?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why would he be betting on under 9.5 rounds and then being in so much control of the fight that he wins in the 10th?

Because the fight goes 9 rounds and then finished before the halfway mark of the 10th round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I saw stiffness in McGregors boxing game.......surprised how stiff he looked, but he in no way embarrassed himself even many in the boxing fraternity said that

Mayweather against that Japanese lad is what most of his detractors wanted to see, it was nowhere near it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Because the fight goes 9 rounds and then finished before the halfway mark of the 10th round.

That's not what under 9.5 rounds means in betting, there aren't half rounds.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I saw stiffness in McGregors boxing game.......surprised how stiff he looked, but he in no way embarrassed himself even many in the boxing fraternity said that

Mayweather against that Japanese lad is what most of his detractors wanted to see, it was nowhere near it

Nasukawa was much smaller the Floyd , fights mainly with kicks and was 19 years old, Conor was a completely different prospect

I thought they missed a chance to double their money in the Mayweather fight. If they had set it up in the eight round for Floyd to rush in with a few punches and Conor catch him with a kick and get disqualified they'd have sold as much or even more for a rematch. Conor of course would be all apologetic and say he forgot where he was for a brief moment.
    As regards Conor, he is box office and it's been proven many times. When you look ahead to see who he fights next I think you have to put them in order of who generates the most money. Khabib 2, Gaethje and then Masvidal would be the top three for me and I don't think there is anybody else even close to them right now. I think his next fight is one of those three.

I don't think it'll be Khabib so one of the other two

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Mayweather was 40 years old, significantly smaller, and two years retired. He may have been the best boxer in the world but he wasn't when he fought McGregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGyrqTywlAQ

Watching this again, in fairness Conor wasn't too far off, reckon he'll smash him the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would be nice to see him fight with proper focus and preparation, not brawling and drinking. I've read plenty of criticisms of McGregor's fouling the fight, be interesting to see how that would addressed prior to and during. Although, tbh I've never understood why most of the fouls are considered illegal. Why shouldn't you be able to grab someone's shorts? If your opponent was wearing a gi, would there be restrictions on where you could grasp them? It's also strange to me that you can't knee on the ground, seems a perfectly normal act in the context of a fight and hardly less dangerous than smashing with an elbow.

Forget how much of a pikey he is, embarrassing. How he gets away with the coke tests i don't know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbsUzk3gwc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGyrqTywlAQ

Watching this again, in fairness Conor wasn't too far off, reckon he'll smash him the next time.

Wasn't too far off lol.

Khabib utterly dominated from first bell to last. He even got the better of him on the feet at one stage.

Mcgregor is never beating the goat Khabib. He doesn't have the cardio or the disicipline.

He would want to pray for Gaehtje to beat Khabib as I think hes a slightly better chance versus Gaethje. Slightly being the key word.

ricero wrote: »
    Wasn't too far off lol.

Khabib utterly dominated from first bell to last. He even got the better of him on the feet at one stage.

Mcgregor is never beating the goat Khabib. He doesn't have the cardio or the disicipline.

He would want to pray for Gaehtje to beat Khabib as I think hes a slightly better chance versus Gaethje. Slightly being the key word.

5th round, bigger now. Yea I think he can, similar to diaz.

His face was grand after Khabib. He was no where properly hurt.

Doesnt take away from the fact he's an absolute knacker.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Mayweather was 40 years old, significantly smaller, and two years retired. He may have been the best boxer in the world but he wasn't when he fought McGregor.

He could have finishing Mcgregor in two rounds if he wanted to.

Mayweather played to the audience.

I'd through faster punches than mcgregor did with those gloves, he was barely able to lift them after a small bit of fatigue.

The local lad in a gym would give mayweather a better fight.

Might be putting on my tinfoil hat here but has anyone else noticed UFC seem to be releasing a lot of Diaz and McGregor free fights lately on youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Might be putting on my tinfoil hat here but has anyone else noticed UFC seem to be releasing a lot of Diaz and McGregor free fights lately on youtube?

Alot of them?? There was only 2. Lol

Alot of them?? There was only 2. Lol

Diaz v Miller
    Diaz v Gamburyan
    McGregor v Brimmage
    McGregor v Mendes
    Diaz v McGregor 1

Have all been released recently.

True enough but I think they're just trying to get revenue any way they can right now.
    I happened upon a Khabib compilation on YouTube and while McGregor certainly needs to earn a rematch I would very much like to watch Khabib batter him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Forget how much of a pikey he is, embarrassing. How he gets away with the coke tests i don't know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbsUzk3gwc

He can take as much coke as her wants out of competition as far as USADA are concerned. In competition though he would get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Although, tbh I've never understood why most of the fouls are considered illegal. Why shouldn't you be able to grab someone's shorts? If your opponent was wearing a gi, would there be restrictions on where you could grasp them? It's also strange to me that you can't knee on the ground, seems a perfectly normal act in the context of a fight and hardly less dangerous than smashing with an elbow.

If somebody was wearing a gi in MMA, I'd imagine you couldn't grab it.
    In BJJ, you can grab the gi. But in nogi BJJ, you can't grab the shorts, just as in MMA.

I think the grounded knees is illegal because you can could jump and drop all your weight on to the head. And the head has nowhere to move to absorb the impact.
    Knees from the bottom are just caught in the rule technicality, they are dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Mellor wrote: »
    If somebody was wearing a gi in MMA, I'd imagine you couldn't grab it.
    In BJJ, you can grab the gi. But in nogi BJJ, you can't grab the shorts, just as in MMA.

I think the grounded knees is illegal because you can could jump and drop all your weight on to the head. And the head has nowhere to move to absorb the impact.
    Knees from the bottom are just caught in the rule technicality, they are dangerous.

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember any specifics to how they had the rules when UFC started? Quite a few guys were wearing Gis back then.

Advertisement