Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hidehiko Yoshida was wearing a gi in the mid 2000s, tapped out Tank Abbot with the help of his own gi in one match iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember any specifics to how they had the rules when UFC started? Quite a few guys were wearing Gis back then.
    There were no rules about attire in the early days. Gis, pants, runners all made an appearance.
    When the unified rules came in they restricted it to shorts only probably to make it look more sporting and less street fight. They also introduced the no grabbing rule, although not fully sure what the logic was

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mellor wrote: »
    There were no rules about attire in the early days. Gis, pants, runners all made an appearance.
    When the unified rules came in they restricted it to shorts only probably to make it look more sporting and less street fight. They also introduced the no grabbing rule, although not fully sure what the logic was

It was to prevent me from dominating the sport with my special "grab them by the gi" move.

It was to prevent me from dominating the sport with my special "grab them by the gi" move.
    The rule only says you can't grab the shorts or the gloves.

The Donald had other problems.

• Advertisement

I got a good laugh out of this...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAg1g8plrYp/?igshid=7nidz5j2fq9y

(Never posted an Instagram link before, hope it works.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If Conor is fighting in July then it will be announced soon. I think if he does fight then it will be vs Masvidal for the BMF title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'd imagine Conor will stay miles clear of that cringe worthy joke of a BMF "title".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Can't see him fighting in July. I reckon we're looking at Sept or Dec. Just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

xtal191 wrote: »

He just knows how to play the publicity game better than anyone else in the sport. Wether it's narcissism or he's intentionally on the wind up, he has everyone reporting on this, and all the fighters (mentioned in the list or not) replying with their own .02c worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Controversy creates cash Il give him that. I reckon he will fight on this island. Diaz part three or Masvidal.

In all seriousness though the goat is either Gsp or Khabib. Can't have Silva or Jones near it due to steroids.

ricero wrote: »
    Controversy creates cash Il give him that. I reckon he will fight on this island. Diaz part three or Masvidal.

In all seriousness though the goat is either Gsp or Khabib. Can't have Silva or Jones near it due to steroids.

Khabib has the potential.
    But with only 2 legitimate title fights. He’s a way to go to match GSP imo.

Khabib still needs another couple of wins against a couple of greats (Tony, Justin) for me to be defo in there. 0 losses sure but hes not quite there yet.

Others up there for me - Mighty Mouse, Matt Hughes, Aldo. LOVED Matt Hughes. Pity hes such a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,397 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ricero wrote:
    Cejudo is ahead of Khabib for me.
    I disagree about Sliva and Jones. I think they did enough before any issues surfaced.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Cejudo is ahead of Khabib for me.
    I disagree about Sliva and Jones. I think they did enough before any issues surfaced.
    I think the implication is that once steroid issues emerge is cast doubt on large parts of their careers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Surprised Khabib is in the reckoning at all. He's unbeaten but the quality of a lot of his opponents isn't anywhere near the established GOATS.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Surprised Khabib is in the reckoning at all. He's unbeaten but the quality of a lot of his opponents isn't anywhere near the established GOATS.

Conor aside, whats his biggest win? Poirier?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think you'd have to accept that damn near every competitor on the sport has the taint of PEDs, just delusional to think otherwise. Pride was full of juicyboys, UFC the same. Not many champs you can look at and say they don't arouse serious suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Khabib won't be considered til he racks up a string of decent opponents he's defeated. He's starting to build that now but he has a ways to go yet before he's anywhere near GSP.

Jones and Silva are out cos of doping.

Conors not even in the discussion.

I agree. Conor can't be on the discussion in until he at least defends a title. Even if he wins it back again but fails to defend, he can't be in the discussion.

Khabib also needs a few more high profile wins (6-8) or a couple more defences and a step up to another weight class and go on a run/win a belt their.

• Advertisement

Khabib's response to CmcG...

https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/status/1264359202216083461?s=20
    you tapped out in featherweight , you tapped out in lightweight and you tapped in welterweight , you never defended title in the UFC or Cage Warriors , you gave up more than GSP , Spider and Bones all together.
    you greatest @ufc fighter in twitter history.

That last line is brilliant tbf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

It's GSP or Silva really.

Khabib hasn't got the calibre of opponents needed to be anywhere near GOAT status. His biggest win besides Conor is Poirer. Not very impressive when you take off the undefeated blinders. Also he's only had a had 3 title defenses. GSP has had 9 and won a title in a different division. In fact looking at Khabibs record he went 16-0 before joining the UFC. None of his opponents in those fights went on to fight for the UFC. So it is the definition of a padded record, atleast up to that point. I think in a few years Khabib will most likely remain undefeated and then have a retirement fight with GSP to decide the true GOAT. But calling him a GOAT now? That's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Khabib's response to CmcG...

https://twitter.com/TeamKhabib/status/1264359202216083461?s=20

That last line is brilliant tbf :D

His managers response

xtal191 wrote: »
    His managers response

Maybe, but some users on Reddit who pay closer attention than me pointed out that Ali isn't really fond of punctuation in his own tweets and small details like that. I don't care either way.

Maybe, but some users on Reddit who pay closer attention than me pointed out that Ali isn't really fond of punctuation in his own tweets and small details like that. I don't care either way.

Yeah it's pretty obvious when tweets are from Ali or when tweets are from the actual fighter.

McGregor didn't even mention Diaz, Masvidal, Khabib, yet he has the all replying. It's beautiful to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty obvious when tweets are from Ali or when tweets are from the actual fighter.

McGregor didn't even mention Diaz, Masvidal, Khabib, yet he has the all replying. It's beautiful to see.

Yeah, he's class at Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I seriously doubt Khabib is interested in a Conor Twitter war with all that's going on in his life at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

If that's the case he shouldn't have responded.

One tweet from Conor and has them all on the wind up, its funny to see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Twitter reply’s to Conor were funny and good natured. Especially Khabib and Jones. Khabib is a very funny guy in his own way, totally different to Conor’s humour tho, but very sharp and witty. It was nice to see a Twitter exchange between them that wasn’t hateful and angry.
    A lot of what Conor says is true, but it’s just a shame he hasn’t fought so often since 205 to have more facts to back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The Twitter reply’s to Conor were funny and good natured. Especially Khabib and Jones. Khabib is a very funny guy in his own way, totally different to Conor’s humour tho, but very sharp and witty. It was nice to see a Twitter exchange between them that wasn’t hateful and angry.
    A lot of what Conor says is true, but it’s just a shame he hasn’t fought so often since 205 to have more facts to back it up.

Khabib's broken English makes it funnier. "Send me location" would not have the same ring to it any other way. Not when he said it originally (after the bus incident), but times like when he threatened to wreck Dana's car.

Paulo Costa is the same. Very funny guy, and the language barrier helps.

Advertisement