Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

eagle eye wrote: »
    Did you miss my question?
    Where do you rank him all time among featherweights?

Right up there. He handled Holloway easily, as well as beating the most prolific FW champion, Aldo.

Conor didn’t have that many fights at FW. But his wins were crucial, and zero losses..

Alongside Aldo because he beat him, but below him because he didn’t do as much at FW as Aldo.

Top 3..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Hasn't there only been four featherweight champions including Volkanovski who only recently won the belt? Top 3 doesn't say a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Still Ill wrote: »
    Hasn't there only been four featherweight champions including Volkanovski who only recently won the belt? Top 3 doesn't say a whole lot.

Yeah, and Aldo and Holloway are the only fighters to defend the belt in that division.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,395 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:
    Right up there. He handled Holloway easily, as well as beating the most prolific FW champion, Holloway.

Conor didn’t have that many fights at FW. But his wins were crucial, and zero losses..
    Alongside Aldo because he beat him, but below him because he didn’t do as much at FW as Aldo.
    Top 3..
    So knocking out Aldo, who was never stopped before then and only ever stopped since by one other fighter, Max Holloway, and thoroughly dominating Max Holloway isnt enough to put him ahead of those two?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Still Ill wrote: »
    There may only have been 4 champs. But there’s been 100s and 100s of fighters. Trying to fight their way to that belt.
    So knocking out Aldo, who was never stopped before then and only ever stopped since by one other fighter, Max Holloway, and thoroughly dominating Max Holloway isnt enough to put him ahead of those two?

Sounds like he’s saying;
    Aldo > Conor > Max

• Advertisement

Aldo for me greatest ever FW

If it comes down to just head to head, then Conor ahead of Aldo..

But it doesn’t come down to just head to head.

Max had more wins and success at FW, but that’s because he stayed there longer than Conor..

Holloway and Aldo and Conor are all in the reckoning g..

Aldo takes too spot for me.

Conor and Max? Again, head to head it is Conor.. overall career at FW? Holloway..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Don't think Conor beats Max if they ever fight again

Don't think Conor beats Max if they ever fight again

Conor steamrolls Max......

Holloway has not the power to get Conor's respect. I'd go with Conor via KO at 155......Holloway too slow for Conor, and not powerful enough.....bad combinations if in against Conor, a sharp shooter with power to hurt...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    Aldo for me greatest ever FW

He was juiced up for his run. Wasn't the same fighter post USADA. Same for most of his teammates in Nova Uniao. Same for loads of Brazilian MMA guys. They either got popped or stopped taking them and got beat. Was like night and day.

Mind you nearly everyone else was taking something too so I suppose it was a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I see this thread is back to normal anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I don't think Mcgregor has the longevity in the UFC to be spoken of in the GOAT talk.

Biggest impact, changed the sport, most popular fighter yes, he's the winner easy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Well Kavanagh clearly expects him to fight again.

Well Kavanagh clearly expects him to fight again.

That post is a month old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

aloooof wrote: »

I don't think he put it well at all. Like everything Kavanagh says, it smacks of poorly thought smugness.

When did anyone define greatest as "highest earning"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

aloooof wrote: »

I don't think he put it well at all. Like everything Kavanagh says, it smacks of poorly thought smugness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well, a prize fighter is someone who fights for money. So earnings are the definition if you're talking about a prize fighter as distinct from being the best at MMA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But that's not what Kavanagh did; the whole point of his post was to highlight that contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well he didn't post the numbers so it kind of is disputed and obviously Conors biggest money by far was a boxing match, not an MMA fight.

Conor probably made more per fight than the others on the list but he didn't fight as much. Also the other guys there were around pre Reebok when sponsorships were very lucrative.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well he didn't post the numbers so it kind of is disputed and obviously Conors biggest money by far was a boxing match, not an MMA fight.

Conor probably made more per fight than the others on the list but he didn't fight as much. Also the other guys there were around pre Reebok when sponsorships were very lucrative.
    The graphic refers to his boxing numbers. But 229 was a UFC record. And as Alf pointed out the point was Prize fighting not MMA.
    Doubt he was short changed by sponsors either.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    The graphic refers to his boxing numbers. But 229 was a UFC record. And as Alf pointed out the point was Prize fighting not MMA.
    Doubt he was short changed by sponsors either.

So he's mixing sports then, the "greatest prize fighter in MMA".

It's kind of nonsense, might as well say the greatest MMA fighter who had one boxing match(which he lost).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Would ya stop ffs

Fight vs Khabib did $17M gate and 2M ppv. Still easily double the others, even if you take Mayweather fight out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's kind of nonsense, might as well say the greatest MMA fighter who had one boxing match(which he lost).

Not really mixing sports. Being a prize fighter has always been synonymous with boxing but it's limited to boxing in modern definitions.

It's perfectly valid to use it for a fighter who fights for money. Getting into semantics to say it can only mean a boxer is a bit silly.

Conor is clearly the highest earning and grossing MMA fighter...

That is all JK means...

He holds the gate and PPV record in MMA. There’s serious mental gymnastics needed to deny or undermine that.

I don’t get what “one boxing match” has to do with his MMA records?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

His latest Instagram pic he looks like he is cutting weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

bmcc10 wrote: »

Why oh why would be be doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,395 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gintonious wrote:
    Why oh why would be be doing that?
    To be ready to jump in when Khabib pulls out again maybe.

bmcc10 wrote: »

In his hoody top?

• Advertisement

Not really mixing sports. Being a prize fighter has always been synonymous with boxing but it's limited to boxing in modern definitions.

It's perfectly valid to use it for a fighter who fights for money. Getting into semantics to say it can only mean a boxer is a bit silly.

But that's exactly what Kavanagh is doing if he's including Conors one boxing match.

If you're including all boxers then the Mayweather's and Canelos of the world fare very high on the list.

Advertisement