Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ush1 wrote: »
    But that's exactly what Kavanagh is doing if he's including Conors one boxing match.

If you're including all boxers then the Mayweather's and Canelos of the world fare very high on the list.

He doesn't need to include the Mayweather fight for the statement to be true.

And neither Mayweather nor Canelo feature in MMA history

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He doesn't need to include the Mayweather fight for the statement to be true.

And neither Mayweather nor Canelo feature in MMA history

That's exactly my point regarding counting a boxing match.

So discounting the Mayweather fight, has Conor made more money than those other fighters from MMA? I don't know myself, can you give me the numbers to show he is definitely number 1?

That's exactly my point regarding counting a boxing match.

So discounting the Mayweather fight, has Conor made more money than those other fighters from MMA? I don't know myself, can you give me the numbers to show he is definitely number 1?

Pretty sure that has been compiled on a list somewhere that he has the most in guaranteed purses or some such figure that excluded bonuses and money outside of the cage.

I don't have it at hand but pretty sure he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

bmcc10 wrote: »
    His latest Instagram pic he looks like he is cutting weight.
    That's impressive given he's wearing a hoody and just looks like he needs a haircut, like most of us.

Pretty sure that has been compiled on a list somewhere that he has the most in guaranteed purses or some such figure that excluded bonuses and money outside of the cage.

I don't have it at hand but pretty sure he is.

I'd be interested to see it, considering McGregor has had 3 title fights in the UFC and Jon Jones has had 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Just seen a short insta video and he does look slimmer in the face. It could just be that his beard is a bit shorter.

If you don't mind I'll choose to think he is weight cutting and is going to turn up on a card somewhere next month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'd be interested to see it, considering McGregor has had 3 title fights in the UFC and Jon Jones has had 15.

He's way ahead of Jones, this was before the Cowboy fight and is for disclosed earnings only so won't include PPV points.

He got 500k v Mendes years ago which is what Jons been making the last number of title fights.

He's a more up to date link which puts him just under double Jon's disclosed pay - https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/conor-mcgregor-tops-list-highest-18151301

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Easily compiled by looking at respective articles on Wikipedia. Looking only at disclosed pay for UFC events (including win bonuses but not performance bonuses or slice of PPVs which the latter is certainly likely to make it an even bigger gap for Conor) and making decent guesses at events not held where pay is disclosed, Conor has been paid over twice as much as Jones has - helped by the fact that a Conor’s disclosed pay has been 3 million (no win bonus) for the last few events while Jones has been at 500k (no win bonus). I estimate about 14 million for Conor and 6 million for Jones.

But if you doubt it, check the numbers yourself. While there are bound to be other non-disclosed payments, I don’t see a way any of these close the gap for Jones, they probably more likely widen it in Conor’s favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

eagle eye wrote: »
    To be ready to jump in when Khabib pulls out again maybe.

Funny for a retired fighter to be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That's impressive given he's wearing a hoody and just looks like he needs a haircut, like most of us.

Seen a insta story earlier and have to say firs thin I thought was he is looking slim in the face,
    Wonder does he have a lightweight fight on the horizon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But that's exactly what Kavanagh is doing if he's including Conors one boxing match.
    As I said, Conor holds the record regardless of the boxing match.
    If you're including all boxers then the Mayweather's and Canelos of the world fare very high on the list.
    Neither fought in MMA. But if you are combining both I imagine Conor is ahead of Canelo.
    Conor holding the record is widely known and accepted.
    That's why your disbelief : is confusing confused:

UFC Record PPV Buys
    1 UFC 229 Khabib (c) vs. McGregor 2,400,000
    2 UFC 202 Diaz vs. McGregor 2 1,600,000
    3 UFC 196 McGregor vs. Diaz 1,317,000
    4 UFC 100 Lesnar (c) vs. Mir (ic) 2 1,300,000
    4 UFC 205 Alvarez (c) vs. McGregor 1,300,000
    6 UFC 194 Aldo (c) vs. McGregor (ic) 1,200,000

UFC Records Gates
    1 UFC 205 Alvarez (c) vs. McGregor $17,700,000
    2 UFC 229 Khabib (c) vs. McGregor $17,200,000
    3 UFC 129 St-Pierre (c) vs. Shields $12,075,000
    4 UFC 246 McGregor vs. Cowboy $11,100,000
    5 UFC 200 Tate (c) vs. Nunes $10,700,000

The fact that McGregor vs. Cowboy is so high up the list is insane.
    2nd in Vegas and almost matched the GSP stadium event.

To be ready to jump in when Khabib pulls out again maybe.

A bit early to be cutting for a fight in September

Mellor wrote: »
    As I said, Conor holds the record regardless of the boxing match.

Neither fought in MMA. But if you are combining both I imagine Conor is ahead of Canelo.

Conor holding the record is widely known and accepted.
    That's why your disbelief : is confusing confused:

UFC Record PPV Buys
    1 UFC 229 Khabib (c) vs. McGregor 2,400,000
    2 UFC 202 Diaz vs. McGregor 2 1,600,000
    3 UFC 196 McGregor vs. Diaz 1,317,000
    4 UFC 100 Lesnar (c) vs. Mir (ic) 2 1,300,000
    4 UFC 205 Alvarez (c) vs. McGregor 1,300,000
    6 UFC 194 Aldo (c) vs. McGregor (ic) 1,200,000

UFC Records Gates
    1 UFC 205 Alvarez (c) vs. McGregor $17,700,000
    2 UFC 229 Khabib (c) vs. McGregor $17,200,000
    3 UFC 129 St-Pierre (c) vs. Shields $12,075,000
    4 UFC 246 McGregor vs. Cowboy $11,100,000
    5 UFC 200 Tate (c) vs. Nunes $10,700,000

The fact that McGregor vs. Cowboy is so high up the list is insane.
    2nd in Vegas and almost matched the GSP stadium event.

I wasn't talking about PPV numbers. I was talking about which fighter has made the most money out of purely MMA over the course of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I wasn't talking about PPV numbers. I was talking about which fighter has made the most money out of purely MMA over the course of their career.

You don’t think there is a link ?

McGregor has made more than anyone probably more than the next two combined

McGregor got $3 million guaranteed for Cowboy fight.

Jones has been getting $500k guaranteed for his last 6/7 fights so from the Saint Prieux fight in 2016 up to the Reyes fight, he made a total of $3 million in guaranteed purse.

McGregor got a guaranteed $3 million against Khabib.

Jones made $3.1 combined for his fights against Rampage through to Cormier 1 (last fight before OSP).

Tl;Dr there is no comparison between Jones earning power and McGregor's.

Cyrus wrote: »
    You don’t think there is a link ?

McGregor has made more than anyone probably more than the next two combined

Of course there is a link and I'm sure McGregor has got more per PPV, however he hasn't been on nearly as many as GSP or Silva over the span of his career.

Of course there is a link and I'm sure McGregor has got more per PPV, however he hasn't been on nearly as many as GSP or Silva over the span of his career.

Biggest purse GSP got was $2.5 million for the Bisping fight. Before that it was $400k against Diaz and Hendricks and then it drops off again for the fights that pre-date those.

Silva got €600k per fight to show for his last 8 fights back to and including the first loss against Weidman. Max before that was €200k

Biggest purse GSP got was $2.5 million for the Bisping fight. Before that it was $400k against Diaz and Hendricks and then it drops off again for the fights that pre-date those.

Silva got €600k per fight to show for his last 8 fights back to and including the first loss against Weidman. Max before that was €200k

Interesting, I wonder would the PPV numbers and the amount of them GSP was on have mounted up. 400k flat really is a joke though.

I don't think Silva ever did crazy PPV numbers did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,393 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ush1 wrote:

You seem that be searching desperately for any which way to have somebody ahead of McGregor on pay. My advice, just give up because you aren't going to find it no matter where or what way you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Interesting, I wonder would the PPV numbers and the amount of them GSP was on have mounted up. 400k flat really is a joke though.

Of the 17 UFC PPVs that have broken the $1m barrier, all but two PPVs have featured either McGregor, Lesnar or Rousey.

Good list here. GSP did consistently good numbers. Silva did a few decent ones but the fighters listed above are in a different league.

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

• Advertisement

Last time McGregor made less than $1 million to show was Aldo. He got $500k for Mendes and Aldo.

Diaz 1 - $1 million
    Diaz 2, Alvarez, Khabib, Cowboy - €3 million each.

There's no way that anyone overcame that gap with PPV money. They'd be doing well to have got the same PPV money as him.

Best prize fighter in MMA history? Gan dabht.

You seem that be searching desperately for any which way to have somebody ahead of McGregor on pay. My advice, just give up because you aren't going to find it no matter where or what way you look.

You're weird.

Last time McGregor made less than $1 million to show was Aldo. He got $500k for Mendes and Aldo.

Diaz 1 - $1 million
    Diaz 2, Alvarez, Khabib, Cowboy - €3 million each.

There's no way that anyone overcame that gap with PPV money. They'd be doing well to have got the same PPV money as him.

Best prize fighter in MMA history? Gan dabht.

Yeah would seem to be the case alright but it's hard to nail down exact numbers to even see how far GSP would be behind, or even the gap between GSP and Silva. Anyway, off topic at this stage.

If that's what you are now saying, fair enough.
    But it's not what JK was saying in his post that you disputed.

Conor has 9.8m career MMA PPVs (7 main events)
    GSP has 9.1m career MMA PPVs in (13 main events)
    Silva has 9.5m career MMA PPVs in (18 main events)

That count excludes non-headline bonuses. Dunno it you could quantify that.

Edit:
    As they were mentioned above;

Lesnar has 7.6m (9 main events)
    Rousey has 4.5m (7 main events)

Mellor wrote: »
    If that's what you are now saying, fair enough.
    But it's not what JK was saying in his post that you disputed.

Conor has 9.8m career MMA PPVs (7 main events)
    GSP has 9.1m career MMA PPVs in (13 main events)
    Silva has 9.5m career MMA PPVs in (18 main events)

That count excludes non-headline bonuses. Dunno it you could quantify that.

Well I would call greatest "prizefighter" in MMA, the fighter who made the most money from MMA. It's not really to do with PPV numbers(although there would be a correlation of course).

When he and Conor have spoke in the past about prizefighting it's all about making as much money as possible and then get out, while PPV numbers can lead to this, money is the end goal.

The point is, is a sprint(jumping weight classes, superfights, etc...) to big numbers more lucrative than a jog with medium numbers(more events, defending titles, longer career)? It would seem the sprint has worked out better for Conor, but he's a special case regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The point is, is a sprint(jumping weight classes, superfights, etc...) to big numbers more lucrative than a jog with medium numbers(more events, defending titles, longer career)? It would seem the sprint has worked out better for Conor, but he's a special case regardless.

I would imagine the goal for most fighters is to make as much money as possible in as little time as possible while taking minimal damage from less fights, so yes the sprint would be preferable if they can generate the numbers for it.

The majority of fighters would give their left arm to be able to make what Conor has made in the space of time he's done it.

Well I would call greatest "prizefighter" in MMA, the fighter who made the most money from MMA. It's not really to do with PPV numbers(although there would be a correlation of course).
    Huh? It's everything to do with PPV numbers. There headline earnings come from a PPV buys. It was already pointed that he tops the fight purse figures too.

It's not an either or situation.

If Conor had of defended a few times at 145 before moving. And stayed at 155 instead of the boxing. His purses wouldn't sudden be less. He still be pulling crazy numbers, over more fights, meaning he'd earn more from MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It would be fair to say, however, that McGregor is saving face by saying this.

Well well well, what a turnaround for McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Well well well, what a turnaround for McGregor.

Classy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

xtal191 wrote: »
    Classy

The comment from Khabib's cousin (so i read) was something about when you have Coronavirus and can't breath. Conor's comment was in the context of it's a pretty weird thing to say if your Uncle almost died from it.

Advertisement