Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

derfderf wrote: »
    The comment from Khabib's cousin (so i read) was something about when you have Coronavirus and can't breath. Conor's comment was in the context of it's a pretty weird thing to say if your Uncle almost died from it.

Pretty much. Notice the Weasel chiming in too. Pretty ****ty thing to do as Khabib manager. Greater than 0% chance that he made both comments.

Conor has a point, but could have made in in a much better way.

MT0fXBg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    Pretty much. Notice the Weasel chiming in too. Pretty ****ty thing to do as Khabib manager. Greater than 0% chance that he made both comments.

Conor has a point, but could have made in in a much better way.

MT0fXBg.png

I can get where Conor's coming from, but it's not like Khabib said it. I wonder what Khabib would think of that comment from his manager though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

derfderf wrote: »
    I can get where Conor's coming from, but it's not like Khabib said it. I wonder what Khabib would think of that comment from his manager though.

Abukabar and Khabib refer to each other as siblings though. Abukabar came to live with Khabib when he was 7. Khabib's father sort of raised him, and has been his life long coach.

But as I said, it was probably Ali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just saw Conors comments about Khabibs father having covid 19.

Shameful and a new low for him. Classless stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

ricero wrote: »
    Just saw Conors comments about Khabibs father having covid 19.

Shameful and a new low for him. Classless stuff.

Not if you take it in context ,
    The sound bite sounds really bad because most place are leaving out what Conor was replying to ,

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As stated very clearly in the thread title - MMA talk only

It may well be due to his retirement this thread drops off the front page - that's no reason to introduce non-MMA stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 86,457 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is he really retired or waiting a big pay day fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is he really retired or waiting a big pay day fight?

I'd wager a lot of money that he'll fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

This fella campaigning a few weeks ago for the airports to be shut now travelling Europe

bmcc10 wrote: »
    This fella campaigning a few weeks ago for the airports to be shut now travelling Europe

A few does not equal 16. It's been 4 months. There has been a list published of countries in Europe that have reopened and you can travel to now. In fact it happened a month ago on June 15th. Lockdown must have been messing with your time management if you think mid march was a few weeks ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

A few does not equal 16. It's been 4 months. There has been a list published of countries in Europe that have reopened and you can travel to now. In fact it happened a month ago on June 15th. Lockdown must have been messing with your time management if you think mid march was a few weeks ago..

Well considering it's probably a bigger issue now than it was in March with flights landing in Ireland under the current circumstances it's pretty valid.

My time management is fine but then again I wasn't addressing my nation on the subject in mid March.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It was nothing more than good pr, spend a million quid of your money on your battered image is serious value for money. He couldn't give too ****es about the virus, case in point tweeting that Khabibs father was faking the illness to pull out of the fight. Ya he's terrified of McGregor going off what we saw.

rob316 wrote: »
    It was nothing more than good pr, spend a million quid of your money on your battered image is serious value for money. He couldn't give too ****es about the virus, case in point tweeting that Khabibs father was faking the illness to pull out of the fight. Ya he's terrified of McGregor going off what we saw.

Must have been pissed off that U2 threw in 10 mill about a day before him - really put him in the shade.

Don't think that Bono was tweeting every time a box of wipes was delivered somewhere either.

yes his mocking Khabib's dad when he was in ICU not long before he died of Covid was yet another real mark of the person.

Khabib must seriously want to cave his skull in at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

glasso wrote: »
    Must have been pissed off that U2 threw in 10 mill about a day before him - really put him in the shade.

Don't think that Bono was tweeting every time a box of wipes was delivered somewhere either.

yes his mocking Khabib's dad when he was in ICU not long before he died of Covid was yet another real mark of the person.

Khabib must seriously want to cave his skull in at this point.

About the only way he's going to get a rematch tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Should this not be locked since his mma days are over

• Registered Users Posts: 38,393 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you believe he is finished them it's easy, just unfollow the thread.

I don't think it's over and I think he'll be fighting Gaethje or somebody else for the interim belt by October.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He won't be fighting until crowds are allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

The Nal wrote: »
    He won't be fighting until crowds are allowed in.

And God knows how long that will be. It could be a long time before we see max capacity arenas again. And I doubt Conor will fight in limited capacity arenas either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

If McGregor still has any desire or bottle then he should accept the Tony Ferguson fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,393 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ricero wrote:
    If McGregor still has any desire or bottle then he should accept the Tony Ferguson fight.

What does that fight get him? He is next up for a title shot right now. If he fights Ferguson the only thing that can happen just is he loses that title shot.

He'd be insane to take that chance when there's a multi million dollar fight in his future.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What does that fight get him? He is next up for a title shot right now. If he fights Ferguson the only thing that can happen just is he loses that title shot.

He'd be insane to take that chance when there's a multi million dollar fight in his future.

Coward talk and easy excuse.

Mcgregor has said himself he would one day take out Tony and now is his chance. All this "my season" talk was all talk it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mcgregor has said himself he would one day take out Tony and now is his chance. All this "my season" talk was all talk it seems.
    Something something, global pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Fighting the winner of Khabib/Justin is cowardly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Equally as embarrassing for Kavanagh who was harping on about this cringey "season" as well. Good god. Pure PR jibberish talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

It's still only the end of July. A season is still achievable for him if the will is there. (Which it almost certainly isn't). He could fight Tony in October and then the winner of that be penciled in to fight for the belt.

In reality, what'll happen is he'll have wasted another of his peak years by fighting the grand total of one can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Still Ill wrote: »
    It's still only the end of July. A season is still achievable for him if the will is there. (Which it almost certainly isn't). He could fight Tony in October and then the winner of that be penciled in to fight for the belt.

In reality, what'll happen is he'll have wasted another of his peak years by fighting the grand total of one can.
    Bit insulting to call Cerrone a can

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It never fails to give me a chuckle when someone on a discussion forum decides to call someone who fights in a cage for a living "cowardly".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Had a it not been for the pandemic, I'm sure he would have already fought again this year.

Don't blame him for not wanting to travel to an empty arena to fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Looks like he will fight Tony. Hopefully he's serious would love to see that fight and I think Conor gives Tony a really bad beating

Advertisement