Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

froog wrote: »
    ah come on, you don't think mayweather dragged it out to put on a show??

Well, if he did, he still looked dreadful...that is my point..

Mayweather fights so scared and cautiously...

Look at Floyd v Manny.....barely landed a decent shot the whole night, because he was so concerned with his defence...

I watched the Conor-Floyd fight: Clearly, Conor is not a boxer.....he would have lasted no more than 1 round against say, Canelo or anyone wanting to take him out....

Floyd just does not fight this way...

But I was still expecting him to do a far better number on Conor....

He did not carry him....this is BS excuse from boxing fans....

Floyd was trying for several rds before Conor finally gassed........

Had Conor a real decent engine, who knows.....

Excuses about Floyd not trying and carrying Conor are bull....Floyd simply fought so cautiously, and waited mostly for Conor to gas, before committing in any real way...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I have been saying for ages now I'd love yo see him fight Dustin. No way Dana let's that happen and he'll never let them fight now just as a massive FU

Sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I have been saying for ages now I'd love yo see him fight Dustin. No way Dana let's that happen and he'll never let them fight now just as a massive FU

Sake.

Why not fight Dustin in Ufc and donate the purses to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Conor land more shots on Mayweather than nearly every one else Mayweather has faced. Nobody takes punches to the face on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Sake.

if he is retired and doing an exhibition type fight , i don't think Dana can stop Conor

he could however stop Peahead tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How many other cross discipline fights did he have? He was defensive in the first two rounds so he could gauge McGregors “power” once he realised that McGregor was throwing pillow hands at him he opened up and danced around for a while before finishing it.
    It was a boxing match, so not a cross-discipline match for Floyd. Surely you knew that. :eek:

So you are saying he was more concerned with Conor’s power than De La Hoya, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto, Maidana, Canelo Alvarez, or Manny Pacquiao. If you say so, but that’s considerably more damning than what I was suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Why not fight Dustin in Ufc and donate the purses to charity?

Because he has no intention of actually doing this as he knows UFC would never allow it so it looks like he wants to fight and the UFC are denying him it.

He's so full of **** but I gotta give him credit hes incredibly cute making it look like he wants to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Well, the whole "I'm retired" thing didnt work. So now it's a new angle and really it's a win win for Conor. If he can get away with it, then brilliant, we have a fight in Dublin against a highly respected LW competitors, with loads of money going to charity.
    If it isnt allowed, then UFC is the bad guy and Conor takes the moral high ground (when does that ever happen?)

I really think Dana has messed up this relationship. The thing that amazed me from the text's is that Dana seemed to have no plan for Conor. It was just jumping from one fight to the next, kind of deciding on the fly. wonder if that's how all the matchmaking goes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

US2 wrote: »
    Conor land more shots on Mayweather than nearly every one else Mayweather has faced. Nobody takes punches to the face on purpose.

Jesus! Mayweather knew McGregor was throwing pillows after the first two rounds and knew he could take a few digs without ever being in trouble. Mayweather was walking into shots knowing they’d never trouble him. Or do you think out of all the pro fights he’s had, McGregor had Floyd bamboozled and discombobulated?? Seriously??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mellor wrote: »
    It was a boxing match, so not a cross-discipline match for Floyd. Surely you knew that. :eek:

So you are saying he was more concerned with Conor’s power than De La Hoya, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto, Maidana, Canelo Alvarez, or Manny Pacquiao. If you say so, but that’s considerably more damning than what I was suggesting.

I’ve no idea where you think I said that. He knew McGregor wasn’t a boxer. He felt him out for the first 2 rounds to see how hard he could hit, considering he was acclaimed in UFC for his striking. Realised, just as he thought, that he was getting hit with the equivalent of pillow hands then started walking forward, taking a few digs (which he never did in his boxing career) knowing he could easily handle them. He could have fought his usual fight, stay tight, defensive and grind McGregor down, but he made it more of a spectacle by opening up, getting hit and then deciding to whoop McGregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Hope dana ties him up in contract dispute like he done to Randy. That'll soften his cough haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

**** off away with all this Mayweather talk, it's been done to death. Jesus some of you should know better.

Take it to off topic if you want, MMA only here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I really think Dana has messed up this relationship. The thing that amazed me from the text's is that Dana seemed to have no plan for Conor. It was just jumping from one fight to the next, kind of deciding on the fly. wonder if that's how all the matchmaking goes?

I get the vibe that that's pretty much how it all goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,390 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

dave1982 wrote:
    Hope dana ties him up in contract dispute like he done to Randy. That'll soften his cough haha
    Why would you be taking the side of Dana White? He is a greedy, vindictive man.
    Jon Jones, GSP, Aldo, Anderson Silva, Cejudo and Masvidal have all felt disrespected and/or underpaid by him.

I don't care what you think of McGregor you shouldn't ever be taking Dana White's side. Just stay out of it if you hate McGregor that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So Conor deleted his tweets sbout a fight with Poirier. Def aint happening.

dave1982 wrote: »

It won't even be a dispute though. Conor will have more than enough ammo in court if a fight isn't booked for him by the end of November. He can not only have his contract voided but argue for compensation of lost earnings. The longer the UFC try to drag it out in court the more they would have to pay if they lose and judging by all the evidence posted, it won't be a case of "if" but "when". Dana has seriously f*cked this up. Mcgregor may be a despicable character but Dana is no angel either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭RoryMac

GiftofGab wrote: »
    So Conor deleted his tweets sbout a fight with Poirier. Def aint happening.

He probably forgot he was already booked to fight Manny that night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Convenient timing of all these tweets from Mcgregor considering what he was in the news for just before...

Hey look over here!

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why would you be taking the side of Dana White? He is a greedy, vindictive man.
    Jon Jones, GSP, Aldo, Anderson Silva, Cejudo and Masvidal have all felt disrespected and/or underpaid by him.

I don't care what you think of McGregor you shouldn't ever be taking Dana White's side. Just stay out of it if you hate McGregor that much.

Haha settle pettle

• Registered Users Posts: 38,390 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

dave1982 wrote:
    Haha settle pettle
    I'm totally relaxed, I'm just able to see both sides. I don't like McGregor the person and I don't like Dana White either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’ve no idea where you think I said that.

You literally said;
    He was defensive in the first two rounds so he could gauge McGregors “power”
    He felt him out for the first 2 rounds to see how hard he could hit, considering he was acclaimed in UFC for his striking.
    Which is just ridiculous given that he never did this verses power punching, boxing world champions. As I pointed out.

The idea that Mayweather was gauging his power pretty funny. You are really giving McGregor hype a lot of credit there.
    Realised, just as he thought, that he was getting hit with the equivalent of pillow hands then started walking forward, taking a few digs (which he never did in his boxing career) knowing he could easily handle them. He could have fought his usual fight, stay tight, defensive and grind McGregor down, but he made it more of a spectacle by opening up, getting hit and then deciding to whoop McGregor.
    He opened up after few rounds but didn't start pressing forward like a Mexican until the final rounds.

Conors output was much higher than Floyd's other opponents, that's pretty clear. It was unsustainable, simple as that. Floyd say back while he punched himself out and let Conor's punchers chance go from very small to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm totally relaxed, I'm just able to see both sides. I don't like McGregor the person and I don't like Dana White either.

I think it was the "Just stay out of it if you hate McGregor that much" part. The poster is entitled to their opinion as much as you are.

I'd have to side with Dana on this one myself, that charity fight with Poirier was never going to happen and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Plot twist, Dana has said he's offered a fight to Dustin and Conor.

Please be true, I've been saying for years that DP is a different fighter at 155

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Definitely a completely different fighter to the one Conor fought originally.

Still, if an on form Conor turns up I think he'll beat him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Yeah I reckon Conor beats Dustin easily enough, still better than Diego Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

So he's avoiding it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Dustin Conor would be a good bout. Thought Dustin had Khabib at one point, think he was going for a guillatine if memory serves correct.

• Advertisement

Haha

Advertisement