Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dustin Conor would be a good bout. Thought Dustin had Khabib at one point, think he was going for a guillatine if memory serves correct.

There's having a guillotine and then there's HAVING a guillotine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Khabib said whoever he fights after Justin (assuming he wins) would have to beat Dustin first, so if Conor really wants the rematch the path is there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Conors on a massive wind up wise up lads. Porrier Ferguson is what I want to see, winner fights Khabib/ Gatcjhe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Conor would be a good bout. Thought Dustin had Khabib at one point, think he was going for a guillatine if memory serves correct.

This is gonna be the new "Michael Johnson had him rocked"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This is gonna be the new "Michael Johnson had him rocked"

Sure it will. Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

US2 wrote: »
    Conors on a massive wind up wise up lads. Porrier Ferguson is what I want to see, winner fights Khabib/ Gatcjhe

If those fights go the way I hope/think (Gaethje and Poirier win), even the loser vs loser fight will be a winner. I really hope the results don't line up Dustin vs Khabib / Tony vs Justin. They're fights we don't need to see again (at least not yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone see rumor dana said he was working on khabib and conor for coaches on next season of TUF but conor blew it 🤣

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone see rumor dana said he was working on khabib and conor for coaches on next season of TUF but conor blew it 🤣

You mean the tweet by Ali saying Khabib turned it down? On what planet is Ali trustable with that kind of a claim and even if it was true, how does Khabib turning it down = Conor blew it??? You do realise people can google something right?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Or you guys mean the inverview Dana had with Barstool sports yesterday where he pretty much said that Conor blew it. Thats what Dana was working on it but after Conor leaked all the stuff on Dana supposedly Khabib said no he wasnt interested that McGregor was a POS etc. Whether you believe his lies or not now is another thing :)

MarkJD wrote: »
    Or you guys mean the inverview Dana had with Barstool sports yesterday where he pretty much said that Conor blew it. Thats what Dana was working on it but after Conor leaked all the stuff on Dana supposedly Khabib said no he wasnt interested that McGregor was a POS etc. Whether you believe his lies or not now is another thing :)

Oh, but Dana wouldn't lie about that, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

You mean the tweet by Ali saying Khabib turned it down? On what planet is Ali trustable with that kind of a claim and even if it was true, how does Khabib turning it down = Conor blew it??? You do realise people can google something right?

Yeah dana didn't say it at cause you googled it. Good, thanks interview below didn't happen or else you need improve your googling skills.

BTW I put in rumor on purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It won't even be a dispute though. Conor will have more than enough ammo in court if a fight isn't booked for him by the end of November. He can not only have his contract voided but argue for compensation of lost earnings. The longer the UFC try to drag it out in court the more they would have to pay if they lose and judging by all the evidence posted, it won't be a case of "if" but "when". Dana has seriously f*cked this up. Mcgregor may be a despicable character but Dana is no angel either.

For those of us who just watch the fights and don't know as much about the background structures and workings of the UFC, how exactly does all this work? Is it stipulated in the contracts that a fighter can walk away from their own obligations on exclusivity etc if the organisation doesn't book fights for them? Or is there, as I've seen some folks on Reddit pondering, an exemption rule for non-profit, charity only fights? I saw a couple of suggestions a while back that if you're fighting for exhibition and not profiting, you are not in fact breaking your exclusivity regardless of any other factors. But again I don't know anything about the red tape side of the UFC so hoping someone else can fill in the blanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It won't even be a dispute though. Conor will have more than enough ammo in court if a fight isn't booked for him by the end of November

Could the UFC not just play the "Well...you did retire" card?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Could the UFC not just play the "Well...you did retire" card?

Wouldn't hold much water legally if he requested a fight in communication to them. Plus a retirement request has to be in writing, and then usada remove him from the pool.

Mellor wrote: »
    Wouldn't hold much water legally if he requested a fight in communication to them. Plus a retirement request has to be in writing, and then usada remove him from the pool.

Do you know if there's any training or recover time covered in the 3 fights a year clause? He needs 2 more by the end of january, could Dana offer two fights two weeks apart to keep the contract active?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If Conor takes a Dustin fight and starches him like last time , then boom he's back where he wants to be no questions asked,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,390 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Conor takes a Dustin fight and starches him like last time , then boom he's back where he wants to be no questions asked,
    And he probably will because for all the talent Dustin has he still takes shots in every fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

For those of us who just watch the fights and don't know as much about the background structures and workings of the UFC, how exactly does all this work? Is it stipulated in the contracts that a fighter can walk away from their own obligations on exclusivity etc if the organisation doesn't book fights for them? Or is there, as I've seen some folks on Reddit pondering, an exemption rule for non-profit, charity only fights? I saw a couple of suggestions a while back that if you're fighting for exhibition and not profiting, you are not in fact breaking your exclusivity regardless of any other factors. But again I don't know anything about the red tape side of the UFC so hoping someone else can fill in the blanks!

i'm sure posters here will know more, but my understanding is his contract would be for MMA fights only and possibly in Conor's specific case boxing too. charity fights and oddball stuff like BJJ tournies he would be free to do with or without UFC blessing. but all contracts are unique and who knows what conor's is, but you can be sure it's the best contract in the UFC.

as for UFC potentially breaking his contract by not giving him fights, i would say the UFC constantly offer him fights (why wouldn't they, he's a money printing machine) and he would have no legal argument there.

froog wrote: »
    as for UFC potentially breaking his contract by not giving him fights, i would say the UFC constantly offer him fights (why wouldn't they, he's a money printing machine) and he would have no legal argument there.

What Conor has been getting at is they don't want him fighting in an empty stadium. If that's the case, they're not offering him fights.

derfderf wrote: »
    What Conor has been getting at is they don't want him fighting in an empty stadium. If that's the case, they're not offering him fights.

I'm not sure if it was Kevin Iole or Okamoto I seen say it but apparently they are looking at Sky Stadium in New Zealand as a possible venue because of the live gate and the premium they could charge for a Mcgregor fight. Also lines up perfectly for US PPV times as NZ is 17 hours ahead. Could have a main card start at 3PM on a Sunday in NZ which would be 10/11PM US time.

Earlier this week, McGregor challenged Poirier, 31, to a charity fight in Dublin that was "nothing to do with the UFC". Poirier immediately accepted and now UFC chief White says he has offered the pair a fight under his banner too. White said: “(Conor) called out Poirier for a fight with (him) in Dublin for charity, so we offered them both a fight. “We offered Dustin and Conor a fight, so we’re waiting to hear back from both of them.”

Looks like Conor essentially forced Dana's hand. If Dana had blocked the fight then Conor would have a case to void the contract, so Dana knew he had to either offer the fight under the UFC or go to court. Conor may be a clown alot of the time but he is rich enough and in enough legal troube often enough, to have the best lawyers advising him on what his legal avenues are. I've no doubt he had a few conversations with his lawyers before putting all those tweets up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

This whole thing is a load of bollox I can't believe so many people and journalists are giving it some. I would love to see him fight Dustin tho, he does get hit alot but he takes em well. Him and Gathje are conors worst match ups. U need elite cardio to deal with their pace

Do you know if there's any training or recover time covered in the 3 fights a year clause? He needs 2 more by the end of january, could Dana offer two fights two weeks apart to keep the contract active?

Not sure of the ins and outs or exact wording.
    2 weeks apart might not be sanctioned. But they could probably have the 2nd fight, and then offer the 3rd fight immediately for a card months away. And all offers where within the year.

Also, I wouldn’t be sure I’d is on the standard terms.

froog wrote: »
    ...contract would be for MMA fights only and possibly in Conor's specific case boxing too. charity fights and oddball stuff like BJJ tournies he would be free to do with or without UFC blessing.

My understanding is that fighters need to get permission for the likes of bjj events. Due to the injury risk. Conor got permission for euros a few years back. And I’ve seen Whitaker at a lot of jiu jitsu events, and heard he had to get the ok.
    Looks like Conor essentially forced Dana's hand. If Dana had blocked the fight then Conor would have a case to void the contract,
    How would blocking a non-UFC fight void the contract?

US2 wrote: »
    Him and Gathje are conors worst match ups. U need elite cardio to deal with their pace

Easiest fights in the division for him (from the elite). Neither fighter looks to grapple, they're both very hitable. They're tough, but not Nate Diaz zombie tough.
    Khabib (obviously) and Tony are far worse match ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Easiest fights in the division for him (from the elite). Neither fighter looks to grapple, they're both very hitable. They're tough, but not Nate Diaz zombie tough.
    Khabib (obviously) and Tony are far worse match ups.

I reckon he would finish Tony inside one round,
    Tony gets hit way to often , isn't getting any younger with plenty of damage taken ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Khabib he never beats in this lifetime..........everyone else at 55 he runs through(runs through) like he always has done ......apart from Khabib!

edit to say and I'm no fan of Khabib, dislike him and detest his fighting style..............a glorious day when/if he ever gets beat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You dislike fighting styles that are pure dominance start to finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You dislike fighting styles that are pure dominance start to finish?

From an excitement point of view, I can see where he's coming from. Appreciating it from an effectiveness point of view is a different kettle of fish, obviously.

I reckon he would finish Tony inside one round,
    Tony gets hit way to often , isn't getting any younger with plenty of damage taken ,

Tony always keeps going though. It was a beatdown by Justin, but he never reallly looked like being finished until the 4th round. On the flip side, justin was in real trouble at the end of round two. If there was another minute to go who knows.
    I'm not saying Conor couldn't beat him, but he'd have a harder time of it than against justin or Dustin. Tony's like a more skillful Nate. Conor has to get him out early or he'd get smothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Tony is not some zombie like Diaz, he gets wobbled in nearly every fight. Petis had him doing the chicken dance in the first round.

Advertisement