Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You dislike fighting styles that are pure dominance start to finish?

Probably thinks he's a crotch sniffer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

derfderf wrote: »
    Tony always keeps going though. It was a beatdown by Justin, but he never reallly looked like being finished until the 4th round. On the flip side, justin was in real trouble at the end of round two. If there was another minute to go who knows.
    I'm not saying Conor couldn't beat him, but he'd have a harder time of it than against justin or Dustin. Tony's like a more skillful Nate. Conor has to get him out early or he'd get smothered.

Tony keeps getting caught with big shots , its only a matter of time before his chin goes it happens with age,

I think at this stage Conor takes him out and pretty early,

Justin is a way harder fight in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

The only 2 people I can see beating Conor from 10 and up is Oliviera and Khabib. Conor against Gaethje/Tony would be absolute bangers but if he performs how he did against Alvarez then he wins both of those fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

xtal191 wrote: »

Let's go! Can we open the fight thread now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Dustin confirms he's down for those dates, they're backing Dana and the UFC into a corner now. DC also in on the act on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The December date is most likely. Gives more promotion time, camp time, and the potential for fans in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I feel bad for Tony, he was standing right by Dustin during the negotiations. Rumor has it that Tony was being offered what he wanted and it was Dustin who was angling for more money. I would probably do the same as Dustin did too to be honest but I can't help but feel like Tony got screwed with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

If Tony's willing to take peanuts to have even worse brain damage when he's older thats on him nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Where are the November & December UFC cards, fight island?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

robwen wrote: »
    Where are the November & December UFC cards, fight island?

All four events in Nov are in the Apex in Vegas.
    Dec PPV isn’t announced, but I’d guess Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Latest tweet from Dustin saying UFC have yet to send him a contract. Says he waiting to sign it. Can really see the ufc lowballing Dustin here. They're now being shown up for the company they really are - ripping off fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Latest tweet from Dustin saying UFC have yet to send him a contract. Says he waiting to sign it. Can really see the ufc lowballing Dustin here. They're now being shown up for the company they really are - ripping off fighters

Fighters sign the contracts. Don't think you know the definition of rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

US2 wrote: »
    Fighters sign the contracts. Don't think you know the definition of rip off

UFC paying some fighters pittance in proportion to the amount they make for each event is classified as ripping fighters off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

GiftofGab wrote: »
    UFC paying some fighters pittance in proportion to the amount they make for each event is classified as ripping fighters off.

They pay the fighters exactly what they accepted. Not a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

US2 wrote: »
    They pay the fighters exactly what they accepted. Not a rip off.

They're 100% ripping the fighters off.
    Just because they accept doesn't mean it's a good amount. Some aren't able to negotiate better, some are just trying to get any kind of money. It's not exactly lucrative to be a fighter most of the time, especially in the UFC with the whole sponsorship thing they have going.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Earlier tonight, Dana confirmed he offered Conor January and Conor declined, days 2020 was already planned for and Conor was retired (good ol dana). Now Conor has come out saying he accepts but wants it in cowboy stadium. Plot thickens.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1316512687543783424?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Earlier tonight, Dana confirmed he offered Conor January and Conor declined, days 2020 was already planned for and Conor was retired (good ol dana). Now Conor has come out saying he accepts but wants it in cowboy stadium. Plot thickens.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1316512687543783424?s=19

Class. Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I imagine he was angling for the earlier dates so he wasn't cutting over Christmas, he's done that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

interesting to see if he remains cordial towards Dustin in the build up
    Dustin really dislikes him and took the last loss really badly , I reckon if Conor goes about it smartly h ( like he once was ) he could take him apart before the fight here ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I imagine he was angling for the earlier dates so he wasn't cutting over Christmas, he's done that before.

If they fight at 170 he won't have to cut much.
    Big difference in weight from the last fight at145

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

interesting to see if he remains cordial towards Dustin in the build up
    Dustin really dislikes him and took the last loss really badly , I reckon if Conor goes about it smartly h ( like he once was ) he could take him apart before the fight here ,

Nah, they'll be all pally.. Same as the Cowboy fight. Don't think that Conor wants to get in a war of words with anyone these days considering all the stuff that can be brought up against him. Another image rehabilitation exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

It's really irritating how the UFC won't give him the fight till next year. Wastes so much time. They always do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Id say Dustin will have plenty of support for this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Id say Dustin will have plenty of support for this fight.

On here? yes of course why would that change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Class. Bring it on

Few days ago Conor said 'he accepted' fighting Dustin but has to be in December. In otherwise not accepting as Dana gave him January date and Conor hasn't come back to them.
    Now he says he 'accepts' January but mentions a stadium crowd.
    Is he saying that as a condition like before? In other words... he hasn't actually accepted yet until UFC meet his request which wont happen. Stadium crowd filled up... covid restrictions shall be set aside for Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    It's really irritating how the UFC won't give him the fight till next year. Wastes so much time. They always do this.

UFC have a road map ahead until the end of the year. Fighters are already in camps for these fights, venues chosen, markets targeted, business partners mobilised etc. McGregor can't just expect the UFC to burn all of this for him and do (an admittedly very funny) "aul switcharoo". No matter how big a draw he is.

Hes unreliable anyway. Could be arrested or "retire" for a couple of years at any stage. He may have been able to pull it off 4 years ago but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

spix wrote: »
    Few days ago Conor said 'he accepted' fighting Dustin but has to be in December. In otherwise not accepting as Dana gave him January date and Conor hasn't come back to them.
    Now he says he 'accepts' January but mentions a stadium crowd.
    Is he saying that as a condition like before? In other words... he hasn't actually accepted yet until UFC meet his request which wont happen. Stadium crowd filled up... covid restrictions shall be set aside for Conor.

Yeah, not sure if that's a "deal breaker" as such. Wouldn't surprise me if Conor and Dana were just playing everyone all along to build up a different level of excitement.
    I think the logic for cowboys stadium though, is that certain NFL stadiums are allowing 20% capacity, which for that stadium would be close to 20k, which is pretty much an indoor vegas crowd. Dana has always been reluctant to throw in Conor without the live gate, so this might keep them all happy.

Hopefully it happens. Then we will have zombie/t city this weekend, khabib justin the 25, three decent cards in nov and dec and then this one late January, when there is usally F all to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Yeah, not sure if that's a "deal breaker" as such. Wouldn't surprise me if Conor and Dana were just playing everyone all along to build up a different level of excitement.
    I think the logic for cowboys stadium though, is that certain NFL stadiums are allowing 20% capacity, which for that stadium would be close to 20k, which is pretty much an indoor vegas crowd. Dana has always been reluctant to throw in Conor without the live gate, so this might keep them all happy.

Hopefully it happens. Then we will have zombie/t city this weekend, khabib justin the 25, three decent cards in nov and dec and then this one late January, when there is usally F all to do!

No way UFC will do a stadium show in these time when they can't do it properly. It would surely be way more expensive to set up the show there so would need to be more than 20% full to make it worth the trouble. It would likely also be harder to sell tickets at usual Conor prices. The majority of the money off Conors fights come from the PPV anyway. If it ends up Conor said he'd take the January fight ONLY if UFC makes it a stadium show then that has got to be one of the most stupid things Conor has ever said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

McGregor Feeds off the crowd which enables him to perform better I think. That's probably why he wants the crowd. Should be a good fight regardless. Didnt like the conor that turned up for the khabib fight and pre fight, way too much emotion involved. Wasnt gone on the extremely humble McGregor that turned up for the Cerrone fight either, hopefully he gets back to mixture of cocky, piss taking, humble, and honest fighter he was.

The aldo fight was prime McGregor, tormented aldo in the build up, then after the fight, the empathy he had towards aldo was great, seeing how dejected he was after the loss, telling him that they'd go again, really liked that.

Advertisement