Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

telling him that they'd go again

:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Texas is allowing 50% occupancy I think, so that could be why he picked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

sonofenoch wrote: »
    On here? yes of course why would that change :D

More than the last time they met anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭The White Feather

So lads, how will this former boxer do in MMA? And you all have his opponent wrong...its Dustin Cormier!!

EkYgj8iXkAIPuzO?format=jpg&name=900x900

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

50% capacity allowed in sports stadiums in Texas is why McGregor wants the fight there. All about money.

• Advertisement

Isn't this the same chap that called on "his people" to do the right thing and not to fly? On the government to close the airport?

He's travelling a lot isn't he? South of France. Stadium fight in the US. Gonna teleport into the stadium in a hazmat suit is he?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Texas is allowing 50% occupancy I think, so that could be why he picked there.

Thats also right now, at the rate stuff opens in Texas it will be much higher occupancy by January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Axwell wrote: »
    Thats also right now, at the rate stuff opens in Texas it will be much higher occupancy by January.

January is along time away, it could go the other way and have no fans allowed again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

US2 wrote: »
    January is along time away, it could go the other way and have no fans allowed again.

When it comes to Texas it doesn't really matter what way it goes, they are determined to open everything up and get the economy back on track.

Texas tend to do their own thing regardless, so if anything I could see it being a higher occupancy, as Axwell mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Isn't this the same chap that called on "his people" to do the right thing and not to fly? On the government to close the airport?

Did anyone really believe he was being even remotely genuine and sincere?

Stank of whatever way the wind is blowing to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Dana interview on Mcgregor vs Poirier, pretty much what I expected.
    No contracts signed. And not going into any arena unless they can fill it completely.
    Now Conor has a reason to pull out, they didn't meet my stadium request!

walshb wrote: »
    Did anyone really believe he was being even remotely genuine and sincere?

Stank of whatever way the wind is blowing to me...

Oh he was being serious in regards self importance and propaganda. It just failed horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Yeah boyz, when do tickets go on sale?? Wouldn't mind a big piss up with the lads in Texas. Proper 12 style. C'mom McGregor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Poirier has a poster up with #paidinfull. Looks like it's happening at 170 as per John Kavanagh's latest tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Are these fights at 170 not just exhibitions effectively? Neither fighter competes at that weight normally and McGregor won’t win a title at 170.

170 makes no sense. Why not 155 where they both should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

155 still be quite an effort to get to..

Similar sized men. Relaxed and more easy and natural between 156-170

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So they can both avoid an unnecessary weight cut over Christmas where you know both guys are gonna come in 170ish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

It'll be ridiculous if he gets another shot at the title after fighting twice at 170

• Advertisement

It's a 155 fight minus the weight cut, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tazzimus wrote: »
    It's a 155 fight minus the weight cut, simple.

That's it, do fighters fight at 55? as everyone knows no they don't

sonofenoch wrote: »
    That's it, do fighters fight at 55? as everyone knows no they don't
    Some of the BW and FW maybe, depending how much they cut.
    Weight cutting is bull**** anyway, makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

xtal191 wrote: »
    It'll be ridiculous if he gets another shot at the title after fighting twice at 170

I imagine Poirier will be in with a shout of getting a title fight too, if he wins.
    What you think about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I imagine Poirier will be in with a shout of getting a title fight too, if he wins.
    What you think about that?

Neither of them will deserve a title fight at 155 if the fights at 170 and Poirier wont be getting another shot once Khabib is champion imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

xtal191 wrote: »
    Neither of them will deserve a title fight at 155 if the fights at 170 and Poirier wont be getting another shot once Khabib is champion imo.

Why? They've both made the weight comfortably multiple times, mcgregor has never missed weight in his career, so I don't see why not cutting weight in this fight should invalidate his claim to a title shot should he win.

Now you might say his body of work over the last two years doesn't warrant one, and thats a fair argument (thought poirier is still arguably best of the rest), but I really don't see why the lack of weight cut should be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Don't understand why Dana says no fans unless they can fill the arena. Surly 20k fans socially distant is better than zero fans ?
    I actually prefer it without fans would love to see McGregor fight in the Apex.

Hopefully this fight actually happens, I reckon it'll be like Alvarez fight, easy work .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Why? They've both made the weight comfortably multiple times, mcgregor has never missed weight in his career, so I don't see why not cutting weight in this fight should invalidate his claim to a title shot should he win.

Now you might say his body of work over the last two years doesn't warrant one, and thats a fair argument (thought poirier is still arguably best of the rest), but I really don't see why the lack of weight cut should be an issue.

Odd precedent, so every "lightweight" contender can fight at 170 apart from poor oul Khabib who has to cut weight every fight?

Rightly or wrongly, weight cutting is part of the fight game and weight classes and will often effect the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Don't understand why Dana says no fans unless they can fill the arena. Surly 20k fans socially distant is better than zero fans ?

Hopefully this fight actually happens, I reckon it'll be like Alvarez fight, easy work .
    It probably costs a lot of money to have the venue set up and also safe for fans so maybe its not worth his while?

• Advertisement

Dana is a greedy ****, that's why.

Advertisement