Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Opening stadiums costs a fortune and in the main they need to have a big crowd to cover costs between staff, security, event insurance etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The gate on those stadium shows as is isn't great, with 20k fans I don't think it would be worth putting on.
    UFC 243 in melbourne had a gate of $5.5m for 58,000 people.
    UFC 246 McGregor vs Cerone gate of $11m for 19,000 people

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rob316 wrote: »
    The gate on those stadium shows as is isn't great, with 20k fans I don't think it would be worth putting on.

You're not really comparing like with like there. McGregor cards always do great gate figures. I think 4 of the top 5 UFC gates are McGregor cards. A non McGregor card in Vegas would do a lot less than 11m.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Those events aren’t remotely comparable though. McGregor factor adds huge amounts to the gate for a start. But the location profiles are very different.

Vegas is the fight capital of the world, surrounded by a few hundred million people. They can sell lots of $1k tickets.
    Australia’s population is tiny in comparison. Tickets need to cheap to fill 60k seats. And at that they didn’t sell out the stadium.

A fairer comparison to 243 would with Whitaker previous fight, UFC 225, that did 2.5m gate in Chicago. On that basis, a stadium scales well.
    The Canadian stadium show did over $12m gate almost 10 years ago.
    A McGregor stadium, in the US, does an absolutely insane gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Ush1 wrote: »
    Odd precedent, so every "lightweight" contender can fight at 170 apart from poor oul Khabib who has to cut weight every fight?

Rightly or wrongly, weight cutting is part of the fight game and weight classes and will often effect the outcome.

Weight cutting may well be a part of the fight game, but it's a stupid part, and one that diminishes the pure sporting aspect rather than enhancing it, so anyone who has the clout to avoid doing it without damaging their career prospects should in my opinion.

The fans win too, I reckon. Why would you want a fight to have any chance of bring impacted by a fighters weight cut as opposed to their skill or ability to implement their game plan?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Those events aren’t remotely comparable though. McGregor factor adds huge amounts to the gate for a start. But the location profiles are very different.

Vegas is the fight capital of the world, surrounded by a few hundred million people. They can sell lots of $1k tickets.
    Australia’s population is tiny in comparison. Tickets need to cheap to fill 60k seats. And at that they didn’t sell out the stadium.

A fairer comparison to 243 would with Whitaker previous fight, UFC 225, that did 2.5m gate in Chicago. On that basis, a stadium scales well.
    The Canadian stadium show did over $12m gate almost 10 years ago.
    A McGregor stadium, in the US, does an absolutely insane gate.

That's the point, the stadium shows can't sell tickets as high. 20K in a stadium won't bring in $11m

That's the point, the stadium shows can't sell tickets as high. 20K in a stadium won't bring in $11m
    I was referring to the ticket price in Melbourne not tickets prices in stadium events.

The stadium tickets were the same price as previous Australian events. It’s brought in much more than any non stadium events in Oz. Also much more than Whitakers previous PPV in US.

McGregor headlining Cowboy stadium, even at 50% capacity, takes $10+m easily. 50% is 40k people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Mellor wrote: »
    I was referring to the ticket price in Melbourne not tickets prices in stadium events.

The stadium tickets were the same price as previous Australian events. It’s brought in much more than any non stadium events in Oz. Also much more than Whitakers previous PPV in US.

McGregor headlining Cowboy stadium, even at 50% capacity, takes $10+m easily. 50% is 40k people

I'm not sure how they would be proposing to fill the stadium, but if they were aiming at keeping 1m distance between each spectator you'd be looking at far less than 50% capacity.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how they would be proposing to fill the stadium, but if they were aiming at keeping 1m distance between each spectator you'd be looking at far less than 50% capacity.

50% is the limit in Texas stadiums for the upcoming season. They already had over 25k at games.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texas-governor-stadiums-are-allowed-to-seat-50-percent-capacity-as-state-reopens-amid-covid-19-pandemic/

There will be no travelling support, I'm not sure it will do the gate numbers you are talking. They'll cost it up, I can't imagine the AT&T is cheap to put on a show in, its ****in huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

robwen wrote: »

i thought Khabib wasn't interested in Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I just noticed khabib is fighting gaethje this weekend?
    Who says it will be khabibs choice.
    Is Justin khabibs toughest challenge yet?
    Was talk before of Justin’s wrestling credentials? he can bang and he has a gas tank.
    I’m going for a gaethje in this one, Poirer was close to khabib in that choke last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

XsApollo wrote: »
    Poirer was close to khabib in that choke last time.

No, he wasn't.
    Khabib wasn't in much danger from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Poirer was close to khabib in that choke last time.

Are you joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Khabib doesn't have any input into that. It's down to Dana White.

Ok well I haven’t watched the choke since I actually watched it so maybe I am wrong, but seemed close at the time :-D

Ok well I haven’t watched the choke since I actually watched it so maybe I am wrong, but seemed close at the time :-D

Don't forget about the time Al Iaquinta almost beat him on points and the time Michael Johnson almost knocked him out! Famous for his Glass Chin is Khabib!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

MrStuffins wrote:
    Don't forget about the time Al Iaquinta almost beat him on points and the time Michael Johnson almost knocked him out! Famous for his Glass Chin is Khabib!
    They weren't nearly as good an attempt as Dustin made. He made a very good effort to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

MrStuffins wrote: »

Porrier was fairly close to finishing khabib with the gilutine probably the closest anyone's ever been to finishing him. I don't recall anyone ever saying Iquinta won a round never mind the fight.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Homelander

It was an OK attempt and nice to see Khabib under a bit of heavy pressure but it wasn't a major threat. Khabib had too much space with the arm locked in.

Obviously I'm not an expert so I don't know what Dustin could have done to make it successful but as it was, I don't think it could really work...and it would really zap Dustin's arms as well trying to pursue it that way.

US2 wrote: »
    Porrier was fairly close to finishing khabib with the gilutine .......

Nope!

I mean, it was a standard guillotine attempt but nothing to say it was close. Khabib escaped it. Never looked like tapping, never looked like going out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What is more impressive is the defence of it, and then taking the back straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Gintonious wrote: »
    What is more impressive is the defence of it, and then taking the back straight away.

That's what he does. Hopefully Justin smashes him this weekend. Dude is an absolute twat.

Gintonious wrote: »

Dustin just turned over once he lost the choke. Khabib has had some really impressive grappling moments. But that was fairly routine.

Dustin’s attempt was good. But he was never going to finish without a guard. Needed to sweep to mount once Khabib passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dustin's attempt was a hail Mary. He wasn't going to win on points, and he wad drained. He really had nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

The second he got to half guard on the safe side, he was out, DP just hadn't accepted it yet

The position of Khabib's right arm (low and wide on the mat, and then low and reaching while off the mat) for the entire attempt meant that Dustin wasn't able to pull his elbow left up and as a result was trying to do it all with the right arm. It was never really "in".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think the excitement at the time around the Dustin guillotine attempt was that people saw it as evidence that Tony could beat Khabib , As Tony has some sick chokes ,

I got to say its real shame we never got to see that fight Tony must have been training for a grand total of about 3 years straight for Khabib and I'd have loved to see what tactic he had for when he was taken down
    It probably would not have worked but I'm sure himself and Bravo had come up with some crazy things to attempt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Khabib said he gave him his neck the 2nd time to tire him out.

Advertisement