Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I think the excitement at the time around the Dustin guillotine attempt was that people saw it as evidence that Tony could beat Khabib , As Tony has some sick chokes ,

I got to say its real shame we never got to see that fight Tony must have been training for a grand total of about 3 years straight for Khabib and I'd have loved to see what tactic he had for when he was taken down
    It probably would not have worked but I'm sure himself and Bravo had come up with some crazy things to attempt
    Edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Khabib said he gave him his neck the 2nd time to tire him out.

My first day sparring I let the other guy punch me in the face often and hard why you ask obviously to hurt his knuckles , He was lucky there was rounds or it would have wore him out , :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Nal wrote: »
    Khabib said he gave him his neck the 2nd time to tire him out.

This is a great strategy!

I do it whenever I roll with a higher belt! Come to think of it, I do it with armbars, leglocks and sometimes even sweeps!

Still waiting for them to get tired though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The second he got to half guard on the safe side, he was out, DP just hadn't accepted it yet

Safe is the opposite side. As in a von flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Khabibs defending of that guillotine was brilliant, so many minor things he done right in the blink of an eye. Blocking Dustins leg with his elbow then moving his leg into position immediately before pushing the knee down for example. I called it at the time that Dustin would burn his arms out before Khabib tapped, especially considering how rarely someone finishes an arm-in guillotine.

Did look pretty uncomfortable though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

xtal191 wrote: »

Dana is right. Its ridiculous mcgregor keeps wanting to fight at 170. Every other fighter has to make weight so the highest paid ones should have to as well. My bet is he just doesn't want to pay someone to help him cut weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bollox, they're both gonna fight at 170 anyway. I wonder if they both rocked up at 170, would they just have to give each other their fines for missing weight so would cancel out?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

spix wrote: »
    My bet is he just doesn't want to pay someone to help him cut weight.

More like he just doesn't want to cut weight over christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Dana is right. Its ridiculous mcgregor keeps wanting to fight at 170. Every other fighter has to make weight so the highest paid ones should have to as well. My bet is he just doesn't want to pay someone to help him cut weight.

He already pays for a full time nutritionist: Tristin Kennedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

spix wrote:
    White doesn't want the fight to happen. Get with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Mellor wrote: »
    Safe is the opposite side. As in a von flue.

With a high elbow guillotine the weak side is the other side, when it's arm in the von flu isn't possible (as your shoulder isn't near his neck). With an arm in getting your hips away from his centre means your making yourself wider and creating space around your own chin so it's harder for him to lift his elbow and finish.

Keeping your arm in elbow low towards his hip and then moving to the choke side is the safest way to escape an arm in guillotine when you're in the guard, getting to half guard by tripoding with your head and clearing the choke side knee rotates your arm in side even closer to his hip and makes it even harder for him to finish.

It's near impossible to go the other way from guard and to do so you have to give up the arm position of the 'in" side arm and he'd be able to finish the choke (raise his elbow to complete the lever mechanism).

From guard to escape an arm in guillotine, the safe side is the opposite side of the high elbow, because you don't have the option of the Von flu as his arm protects him from that choke by keeping your shoulder below his.

Before the guard stage, yeah you can Flop to the in side and roll similar to McGregor's escape vs Mendes and attempted escape vs Diaz , but it's not really an option once the guard is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Dana White “Pointless fights. That’s not what we do here”

Except for when McGregor fought Cerrone at 170!

They’ll weigh similar on fight night anyway, so cutting makes fûck all sense. But hypocritical from him & I know that isn’t a surprise.

He already pays for a full time nutritionist: Tristin Kennedy

Whenever hes making 155 he has George Lockhart living with him for weeks and making all his meals. That cant be cheap. There was no sign of him for Cerrone fight. I expect he isn't confident about making 155 without him, in case he screws up it would be embarrassing for him to miss weight and probably increase the bill next time he hires Lockhart.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Dana White “Pointless fights. That’s not what we do here”

Except for when McGregor fought Cerrone at 170!

They’ll weigh similar on fight night anyway, so cutting makes fûck all sense. But hypocritical from him & I know that isn’t a surprise.

If the point of the fight is to justify one of them being next in line for a title fight at 155, then the fight has to be at 155. otherwise it's just a fight between 2 unranked welter weights.

Whenever hes making 155 he has George Lockhart living with him for weeks and making all his meals. That cant be cheap. I expect he isn't confident about making 155 without him, in case he screws up it would be embarrassing for him to miss weight and probably increase the bill next time he hires Lockhart.

He didn't need bro science george to make 145, he doesn't need him to make 155.

Watch the Rogen episode with JK and Lockhart, the man is a spoofer. MMA snake oil salesman.

eagle eye wrote: »
    White doesn't want the fight to happen. Get with it.

How is it Dana not wanting the fight to happen? He gives them a date, in their proper weight class. Looks like someone else doesn't want it.

He didn't need bro science george to make 145, he doesn't need him to make 155.

Watch the Rogen episode with JK and Lockhart, the man is a spoofer. MMA snake oil salesman.

That was a different Era. Conor has never made 155 without Lockhart living with him. Alvarez, Mayweather, Khabib. Does he want to take the risk that he can't make it and ruin the fight, his reputation. Or just make the fight at 170, no need to hire anyone to make weight, no risk of missing weight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Whenever hes making 155 he has George Lockhart living with him for weeks and making all his meals. That cant be cheap. There was no sign of him for Cerrone fight. I expect he isn't confident about making 155 without him, in case he screws up it would be embarrassing for him to miss weight and probably increase the bill next time he hires Lockhart.

Tristin Kennedy is basically the Irish side of that Lockhart & Leith programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

That was a different Era. Conor has never made 155 without Lockhart living with him. Alvarez, Mayweather, Khabib. Does he want to take the risk that he can't make it and ruin the fight, his reputation. Or just make the fight at 170, no need to hire anyone to make weight, no risk of missing weight etc.

It's hardly a big cost to hire your man or not hire him in the scale of things. It's more likely Conor wants the benefit of walking around as the heavier guy now, his cut to 155 would be tougher than Poirier's, Conor gets a nice advantage from fighting at 170 again.

Tristin Kennedy is basically the Irish side of that Lockhart & Leith programme.

Hes still never cut weight without Lockhart doing all the work for weeks beforehand, since 2015.

Hes still never cut weight without Lockhart doing all the work for weeks beforehand, since 2015.

If he needs a personal chef he can afford one. Lockhart isn't some Messiah. He's a PT with a cereal box nutritionist qualification who sells magic beans to fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A lot of the SBG fighters use Tristin now and they have all been raving about how easy the weight cuts have been.

I think any of us with even half a brain cell can realise that cost isn't a factor with weight cuts and McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Annd9

hots wrote: »
    It's hardly a big cost to hire your man or not hire him in the scale of things. It's more likely Conor wants the benefit of walking around as the heavier guy now, his cut to 155 would be tougher than Poirier's, Conor gets a nice advantage from fighting at 170 again.

McGregor has to eat up to reach 170 , Dustin walks around about 180 . How on earth is it easier for Dustin to get the weight off ? Unless of course McGregor is just pure muscle and Dustin is a big bag of water !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They're both similar size.
    McGregor used to be 170, I'd say he's a bit more these days as he doesn't have to cut to 145 any more.
    Poirier would be in or around the same, maybe a tad heavier.

I reckon there's barely 5lb's between them for their natural weights.

A lot of the SBG fighters use Tristin now and they have all been raving about how easy the weight cuts have been.

I think any of us with even half a brain cell can realise that cost isn't a factor with weight cuts and McGregor

There are several factors but of course cost is one of them. Doesn't matter how much money someone has, if he can save several thousand, possibly hundreds of thousands by not cutting weight then why not try push for that, when hes had success in having the UFC let him do that before. If you tell someone you're fighting for several million, need their help to cut weight and live with them for a few weeks, cook meals every day....you think they're going to do it for cheap? Especially when hes paying 500k to Dustin to take the fight. Without that no way Dustin would take the fight as he didn't take his last one due to not enough pay, and everyone knows UFC isn't budging on fighters requests for more pay nowadays.

Who knows how well Conors businesses outside UFC are doing.. lots of lawsuits, fighting only once a year, buying boats etc. Why waste more money if you feel you can make the same fight happen without it. Otherwise why would the fight be at 170? Like someone said Conor is an ex 145lber, so making 155 shouldn't be an extreme weight cut for him, so I don't buy Coach Kavanaghs 'fully hydrated, best performance out of fighters' excuse. Besides every other fighter will be cutting, also making a mockery of the divisions. How can you fight for 155 belt when your last 2 fights are 170. Dana + Khabib are 100% right. Conor clearly has no intentions of fighting real 170lbers so he should be fighting at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

With a high elbow guillotine the weak side is the other side, when it's arm in the von flu isn't possible (as your shoulder isn't near his neck).
    It’s a weak side for most variations not just high elbow. Strong/weak are the standard names for the two sides.

Weak/Strong Side

I wasn’t suggesting there was a von flue here. I was using that to indicate the weak side. It’s very hard to finish a guillotine on that side.
    With an arm in getting your hips away from his centre means your making yourself wider and creating space around your own chin so it's harder for him to lift his elbow and finish.
    Yes. As Khabib did. It’s obviously possible to escape on the head side.
    I’m disagreeing that the head side is the safe/weak side.

People often give up their closed guard and put the arm side leg across the back and block with the shin/foot on arm side. Reason being you want to avoid them passing to the arm side at all cost. You definitely aren’t safe as soon as you pass guard to the head side.

e9OkojD2TeI6fNmoiMQroujS1hmr--CqiIrGqnjJ7DHgZz5J0caPAf2LbnWPD75I-aoKBEQHVlgQJJXLn7UtMVB5PZgH3i8OGYVqNuN7S6Oc7_bpM35zQnepZeKRaXG-vxFR5C3MJxqbaOnM-wcg4SzXzb9gTysifETQ0WIcs5VSljCtJXZnZ1lRTHDPiahpyiEGBYCuaOPah1gDIQ7_1SvGfadMTiejpjlgavIRTNjfFMOzqaL01SC0kFWFSn_QCnQAQolQFw47TTG39DGGKebZBKTz1BBPkec900_bJwZkRRN7xi-mvcKy9r1HG_dBURVZfTUUeFEL8uRcYrtBuukBT3OofUMcaNDbl7QMwRffZTMHh9G4TniVJpct6YmTnm8nI2bHxI7N-K0w9RDknvlnW8d_8YoVmpbPTPzvEoLhMIFnCQN-4NnkXyQDW0HfYyFCY-X1koMk0lUjDBPeDSWW_dKbutrZ7RC2uqiGVrGxYUGJFR1G8gKB7O5TAUJ1MGpr0e3s65xxf9ryAAc=s320
    Keeping your arm in elbow low towards his hip and then moving to the choke side is the safest way to escape an arm in guillotine when you're in the guard, getting to half guard by tripoding with your head and clearing the choke side knee rotates your arm in side even closer to his hip and makes it even harder for him to finish.
    Arm low keeps the neck clear that applies no matter what side. Tripod also relieves pressure, but leaves you vulnerable to being swept verses a good opponent. That what Dustin should have done imo. At one point Khabib was halfway over on his back.

lwI-A4ROwyxp4q5j7usuAZ-MSG7fBXJazZV8reojtcgavIPQpGs9J3Oi2QyMTB9CRqsXqNFPwTyQKea3XVqEursE584EGIGngdlYx7xGUaXrQdV9EwH0lDCa3gYMXA5nfLO1pCRVh7EwuSdeN4SlKwup3yG-czhcoulVvoG2Y8bEtSV5cNoHDDv_HplGXhbI6TB9aWpB4gDJjCWN49u305qVIdd3DePEAM3a4LoFV6GmkMv08Kz1q54CTWO72TjkqFNPb6V9vhsmOYyyCyu5CTDafoTt2rAcfik154sPDP8kIUZoLQ_rA-uDJePbnqH43rHvlhR0A0R3Y9sTrHvkf-4tAyiU5T1GMinEDJRuZ-2Ok2w43qZW_z-ImGUSPldkaQTWCncKQEmEqtfM5pUmom86_frM-tsoUNpy39hrB_slzJJZBjLYYlIKRHCyf5eKNHNM-5P4JHuXoQ8k0V2t5GVGK6OqdpB2qHImgVq686T3KttSH3pnFx6zfD5nDOOUuxiLcV7QkoZJiyX6Ghps6HSshCP8Cg9wlx_J9x7jNAvTSBU=s320

It's near impossible to go the other way from guard and to do so you have to give up the arm position of the 'in" side arm and he'd be able to finish the choke (raise his elbow to complete the level mechanism).
    From guard to escape an arm in guillotine, the safe side is the opposite side of the high elbow, because you don't have the option of the Von flu as his arm protects him from that choke by keeping your shoulder below his.
    Your arm moves up, but you can’t finish the choke as the head position changed. Same way a normal guillotine can’t be finished. regardless of the fact you can’t von flue with arm in. You can’t be finished with a guillotine.

DQ8cEuCQfLPHy5Gvbn65TCav6ZRncGmEHlWQTxnHRsu02RvmEcfWw0ySI8ZWlE3YmHzD7GfSQ5ngEOzA8igoTrbnpMir-r17J0_S4Nh9hIYuEzScHBsXXevZjEnjHfRpW8f3YMzRvBKpB6-ohVZUrTsWuSYmosiksSpY2iSH2wy9tRrXoXRxlbm1OlY4LRCZgdt_VYQ9ycl2uIowd2Y9xjJdLl_sx4GeMi4clGWGeqmToFx6tG3O0HqnzqNgIZPR8Lpc-S-jOx4F1pPCjm8tSGzyyEd2EYwtzqwAihEEOAXQbQDeCaCAJTSkQpQZR0MPrOWFwvM8F32em8dqhVQi_hs0SNH5BMeU-MSolPG64X_Rn_p--lojlTeWJq5gt-PCWrBsPRFJPybsXQYcgjZaYJ_ESVdQJxk6UQfWx4-NMOnJrpJv7c-klLVql53TbkSYupGH7BypH1g4zfaBZXY1hdoeJgn2f5ce-vziaSrCDUDUTBkWq19IQExIp1IsLR6CAI_hRHhHO7XCakgzTsg=s320
    Before the guard stage, yeah you can Flop to the in side and roll similar to McGregor's escape vs Mendes and attempted escape vs Diaz , but it's not really an option once the guard is there.
    Roll escape doesn’t work well vrs the arm in. McGregor v Diaz is a good example of weak/strong sides.

Diaz had an arm in guillotine. McGregor went to move to the arm side (weak side), Diaz blocked him with foot hook. McGregor went the other way and Diaz swept him to mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally I'm of the opinion Conor reckons to have more of a chance against Khabib he needs to be more powerful ,probably reason he asked for the Donald fight at 170 and the reason he wants this fight at 170 ,

I reckon has been building size and power but he knows he needs the gas tank to go with it and the best way to get that gas thank is to train over a much longer period with that extra weight and muscle ,

As everyone know when you can add muscle and size quickly but it takes much longer to match your cardio to it ,

So basically he waiting as long as he possibly can before he has to cut weight

Advertisement