Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Personally I'm of the opinion Conor reckons to have more of a chance against Khabib he needs to be more powerful ,probably reason he asked for the Donald fight at 170 and the reason he wants this fight at 170 ,

I reckon has been building size and power but he knows he needs the gas tank to go with it and the best way to get that gas thank is to train over a much longer period with that extra weight and muscle ,

As everyone know when you can add muscle and size quickly but it takes much longer to match your cardio to it ,

So basically he waiting as long as he possibly can before he has to cut weight

Cutting to 155 for a fight won't help him do any of that as he'll be cutting water not muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Fighting at 170 is a handy way to beat a top contender, win a ton of kudos, and not be in a position where you have to fight Khabib next. Can fight Tony or Gaethje then, another very winnable fight that looks good on the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If the point of the fight is to justify one of them being next in line for a title fight at 155, then the fight has to be at 155. otherwise it's just a fight between 2 unranked welter weights.
    Why does it have to be at 155? Who does it affect outside the two fighters involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why does it have to be at 155? Who does it affect outside the two fighters involved?
    Every weight cut takes something from a fighter its the cumulative effect!
    They are basically taking the easy route and it creates an unfair playing field!
    They have weight divisions for a reason if you cant make the weight then move up!

Eoinbmw wrote:
    Every weight cut takes something from a fighter its the cumulative effect! They are basically taking the easy route and it creates an unfair playing field! They have weight divisions for a reason if you cant make the weight then move up!
    But if they both agree to fight at 170 why does it matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Dana seems to be sick of his sh1t at this stage. Not making the concessions to him he previously would have.

I think making weight does count because you have other guys making weight in attempt to climb the rankings in the division getting skipped over in favour of someone who hasn't fought in said division for years. It's not fair on those guys.

Still Ill wrote:
    I think making weight does count because you have other guys making weight in attempt to climb the rankings in the division getting skipped over in favour of someone who hasn't fought in said division for years. It's not fair on those guys.
    Name those who deserve to be top four at 155 that aren't?

Name those who deserve to be top four at 155 that aren't?

Nobody is denying McGregor should be Top 4 in the rankings on ability, but he hasn't fought there in over two years now and hasn't won there in almost four years. If he wants a title shot there, he should fight there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

But if they both agree to fight at 170 why does it matter?
    It matters to the rest of the division!

Eoinbmw wrote:
    It matters to the rest of the division!
    Why does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Why does it?

Why not just have a lightweight championship bout at 170 ? Stupid!
    Why should the champion be the only one fighting at the 155 limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dana was saying Khabib and Conor was the fight to make months ago. Why would fighting Poirier at 170 be worse than doing nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

derfderf wrote: »
    Dana was saying

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fighting at 170 is a handy way to beat a top contender, win a ton of kudos, and not be in a position where you have to fight Khabib next. Can fight Tony or Gaethje then, another very winnable fight that looks good on the record.
    So he doing this so he can avoid Khabib? Interesting take. Everyone else seems to be complaining about him doing the opposite.
    Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Every weight cut takes something from a fighter its the cumulative effect!
    The affect of cutting isn't cumulative. Or at least I've never seen a suggestion that it was. If that were true, having more (or less) fights over would create the same issue.

They are basically taking the easy route and it creates an unfair playing field!
    They have weight divisions for a reason if you cant make the weight then move up!
    If the conditions are the same for both of them, it's a fair fight.
    The reason that have weight divisions is so that fighters are matched in size in a particular fight. It's nothing to do with being fair on the rest of the division.

You are responsible ng to a question with questions.
    Cone up with an answer or don't bother quoting me.

There is no answer to a question that stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

:pac: :pac: :pac:

Image won't embed

x1e00dxlvou51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&2c87f1b4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

:D:D:D

Fair point :D. You would think any fight is better than no fight in his eyes.

US2 wrote:
    There is no answer to a question that stupid
    Unbelievable, you have no answer so you decide to call me stupid.

Typical response from a clueless person.

Unbelievable, you have no answer so you decide to call me stupid.

Typical response from a clueless person.

I didn't call you stupid at all, I said your question was stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

derfderf wrote: »
    Dana was saying Khabib and Conor was the fight to make months ago. Why would fighting Poirier at 170 be worse than doing nothing?

Yeah it seems Dana has just checked out on McGregor, which is fair enough, but the hypocrisy is at his usual level. Before the cerrone fight he claimed beating cerrone at 170 would get him a title shot, but now beating an actual top 5 (arguably top 3) lightweight at 170 would be pointless :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah it seems Dana has just checked out on McGregor, which is fair enough, but the hypocrisy is at his usual level. Before the cerrone fight he claimed beating cerrone at 170 would get him a title shot, but now beating an actual top 5 (arguably top 3) lightweight at 170 would be pointless :D

Conor probably promised that his other fights [had Covid not happened] would be at 155. Now with the demand that it takes place at the 80,000 seat Cowboy Stadium [they're not going to lose millions booking a stadium that size until they can actually fill it] and now wanting the Poirer match at 170 and its obvious that he can't make 155 anymore and he just wants to make it one more time to face Khabib and he regains he'll once again bolt from the division against without defending the title again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    its obvious that he can't make 155 anymore and he just wants to make it one more time to face Khabib and he regains he'll once again bolt from the division against without defending the title again.

Horse****, he's never missed weight.

You'd swear he ballooned up to 200lbs, he just didn't want to be cutting over Christmas.

People pay way too much attention to this whole never defending titles stuff.

He's a once-in-a-generation star of the sport and I doubt he gives two sh*ts about defending belts when he wakes up every day never having to worry about money for the rest of his, his kids, and their kids' lives.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Horse****, he's never missed weight.

He clearly looks like he wants to avoid 155 unless he has too. Why else would he insist on fighting at 170 while demanding a rematch for the 155 title.
    You'd swear he ballooned up to 200lbs,

He's in his 30s now so weight cutting is much more taxing on the body than it was when he was in his 20s.
    he just didn't want to be cutting over Christmas.

Ahhh the poor baby. The poor non-practicing Catholic. I feel so bad for that millionaire. If many actual practicing Catholics can work on Christmas [My late Father and I have done it several times] than this loudmouth twat can watch what he eats over Christmas. Many Irish are financially ruined this Christmas because of this needless lockdown so i refuse to feel sorry for this pampered privileged twat because he has to watch what he eats over Christmas period. Maybe next time he claims to be retired he should mean it.
    People pay way too much attention to this whole never defending titles stuff.

Its true. And its obvious he just wants to reclaim the title and immediately bolt from the division again.

Bolt to where? He can't beat any of the top guys in the wrestle heavy 170 division and he knows it. He's still unproven at 155 really. One phenomenal win and one loss unless I'm forgetting something.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Bolt to where?

Most likely Boxing again.Much like how Rousey thought regaining the W135 title would revive her acting career he thinks regaining the 155 would gain him more Boxing matches. He was teasing that Pacquio fight for a reason. And he's deluded enough to think he can be World Champ in Boxing.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Most likely Boxing again.Much like how Rousey thought regaining the W135 title would revive her acting career he thinks regaining the 155 would gain him more Boxing matches. He was teasing that Pacquio fight for a reason. And he's deluded enough to think he can be World Champ in Boxing.

Deluded is right if that's what he believes. He has even less chance of success in boxing than he does at 170.

Deluded is right if that's what he believes. He has even less chance of success in boxing than he does at 170.

Well he did train with Kavanagh and SBG [a predominantly grappling camp] for the Mayweather fight. So he is either deluded or not very bright.

He's probably in the top earners list of boxing after just one fight. And will jump past many others if he fights Pacquiao in another sham fight. I'd call that success.

If he wanted a boxing belt I'm sure some boxing organisation can make arrangements to make some world / intercontinental / interim / super belt and put him up against some bozo. But I doubt he's bothered. It's all about the dosh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Himself and Werdum had a Twitter battle last night about Bellator not testing for PED's. Pretty funny. McGregor exited stage left when called an alcoholic and coke head.

Advertisement