Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Mr. Karate wrote: »

Ahhh the poor baby. The poor non-practicing Catholic. I feel so bad for that millionaire. If many actual practicing Catholics can work on Christmas [My late Father and I have done it several times] than this loudmouth twat can watch what he eats over Christmas. Many Irish are financially ruined this Christmas because of this needless lockdown so i refuse to feel sorry for this pampered privileged twat because he has to watch what he eats over Christmas period. Maybe next time he claims to be retired he should mean it.

Nobody ****ing cares .....tho this particular bit needs special mention :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He clearly looks like he wants to avoid 155 unless he has too. Why else would he insist on fighting at 170 while demanding a rematch for the 155 title.

He's in his 30s now so weight cutting is much more taxing on the body than it was when he was in his 20s.

Ahhh the poor baby. The poor non-practicing Catholic. I feel so bad for that millionaire. If many actual practicing Catholics can work on Christmas [My late Father and I have done it several times] than this loudmouth twat can watch what he eats over Christmas. Many Irish are financially ruined this Christmas because of this needless lockdown so i refuse to feel sorry for this pampered privileged twat because he has to watch what he eats over Christmas period. Maybe next time he claims to be retired he should mean it.

Its true. And its obvious he just wants to reclaim the title and immediately bolt from the division again.

He's said before it's not ideal training and cutting over Christmas and New year's. If he doesn't want to and get away with it, why should he.

Less of your spoofing with not wanting to cut and not being able, as well as your religion ****e about working on Christmas. He's what, 32? He's not 60 and cutting gigantic weight.

He wants to fight without having to cut weight if he can, simple as that. I'd imagine all fighters would prefer that to damaging their bodies doing constant weight cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He's said before it's not ideal training and cutting over Christmas and New year's.

I feel so bad for that millionaire.:rolleyes: Next thing you know he'll buy another yacht and join Lebron james in the "I am oppressed" circus.

I feel so bad for that millionaire.:rolleyes: Next thing you know he'll buy another yacht and join Lebron james in the "I am oppressed" circus.

Is anybody saying feel sorry for him? Is he?
    Is it a bad thing to want to enjoy your Christmas dinner?

Right, done feeding you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I never say McGregor beating Khabib so I never saw him being champion again again. Now though....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Karate wrote:
    Do you know he is a Catholic? Do you know he doesn't practice?

Mr. Karate wrote:
    Most likely Boxing again.Much like how Rousey thought regaining the W135 title would revive her acting career he thinks regaining the 155 would gain him more Boxing matches. He was teasing that Pacquio fight for a reason. And he's deluded enough to think he can be World Champ in Boxing.
    He doesn't care about titles, he doesn't care about winning boxing matches either. All he cares about is money.
    If he appears to care about either it's to do with potential earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,331 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What has lockdown got to do with anything? Or whether you’re a practising catholic or not? One of the most bizarre posts in a bizarre thread.

I’d love to hear your expectations for fighters cutting during Lent. Suffer for their sins as Jesus suffered for 40 days in the desert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

With Khabib retiring that's that division-wide open again. And its a good thing for Conor and the rest of the division too as well we were pretty much out of opponents to try and beat Khabib.

If the UFC play their cars right we would be in for some seriours wars.

• Advertisement

Liamo_mu wrote:
    With Khabib retiring that's that division-wide open again. And its a good thing for Conor and the rest of the division too as well we were pretty much out of opponents to try and beat Khabib.
    If Khabib fought at the weight he should be fighting at there were plenty of opponents.
    Liamo_mu wrote:
    If the UFC play their cars right we would be in for some seriours wars.
    I think it'll be interesting to see how it's set up.
    You'd think Chandler is going to be involved. Maybe we'll see him fight Tony soon to get him in the picture. Then whoever wins between McGregor/Poirier waits for the winner of Chandler/Tony potentially for the title and Gaethje gets first shot at the new Champion. Probably get Gaethje v Hooker in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

I wonder with a scenario of Conor beating Dustin Justin & Tony over the next year or so would Khabib be tempted back by the rematch then, the narrative would be Khabib only bet an unfocused not fully fit McGregor, would he be able to resist coming back to derail the hype train for probably one of the biggest fights of all time & get the 30-0

robwen wrote: »
    I wonder with a scenario of Conor beating Dustin Justin & Tony over the next year or so would Khabib be tempted back by the rematch then, the narrative would be Khabib only bet an unfocused not fully fit McGregor, would he be able to resist coming back to derail the hype train for probably one of the biggest fights of all time & get the 30-0

That's pretty much the dream scenario. Won't happen though for about a million reasons. UFC being too slow to schedule fights being one.

Impossible to keep McGregor interested when the breaks between fights are massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I can see Conor beating Dustin, Justin and Tony in the shade of a year. Would absolutely love to see him complete that run but what will most likely happen is that he beats dustin for lw belt and then either does boxing or 170. I can't see him just sticking to a 155 title defense run.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Conor and Dustin is going to be for the title, almost guaranteed. For me he beats Dustin, Tony, And Gaethje. He could hold the title for quite a while if he wanted, all the current top ranked guys are stylistically perfect match ups for him. I'm not even going to include Chandler in the list, I've watched him in Bellator and trust me he is going the route of Askren in the UFC. His best bet it to ride this hype and get his big payday against a top 5 ranked guy because that will be the peak of his UFC career.

Did nobody hear Khabib say he promised his mother that was his last fight. He won't be back.

Khabib retiring just leaves more questions than answers in the division and takes the shine off whoever takes that belt, a permanent interim title

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Khabib retiring just leaves more questions than answers in the division and takes the shine off whoever takes that belt, a permanent interim title

Not really how it works. I know Conor didn't defend his 145 title or anything but no one is calling that a permanent interim title and there was no one that was going to take it off him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Khabib fought at the weight he should be fighting at there were plenty of opponents.

You're obsessed with this. Khabib would be a tiny WW. You do know they all cut weight too.

He'd be fighting the same people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

But if those opponents you are envisioning for Khabib fought at the weight they "should" be fighting at, for the most part they'd be middleweights :D

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Did nobody hear Khabib say he promised his mother that was his last fight. He won't be back.

The door is open, he can always return with her blessing.

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Not really how it works. I know Conor didn't defend his 145 title or anything but no one is calling that a permanent interim title and there was no one that was going to take it off him either.

No but there would be a big elephant in the room, 145 has now become something of a vacuous division (or certainly not at the height it was with McGregor and Aldo)

not saying the same would happen at 55 but, of the contenders 3 were beaten easily by Khabib and another was beaten easily by 1 of those 3 ...........there will be shine taken off whoever next holds it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This might surprise you but there are fighters in every weight class who cut huge amounts of weight to get on the scales.

If Khabib were to fight at WelterWeight he'd just end up running into guys who, by your logic, should be fighting at MiddleWeight. Kamaru Usman is a prime example of someone who has brutal cuts to make WW. If Usman fought at MW he'd run into people, who by your logic, should be fighting at LHW (Yoel Romero being a prime example). It's a cascade that runs all the way from LHW to Flyweight.

There's certainly an argument to be made against extreme weight cutting, not least because of the potential long-term health dangers to the fighters themselves. I for one would be sympathetic to that argument.

Do you actually care about that topic though? Judging by the evidence of your own posts, it just seems like you want to take some shine off of Khabib and what he achieved last night and this is what you've chosen to hang your hat on. If you don't like Khabib then that's fine but it's disingenuous (and frankly a little bit pathetic) to use this topic as a fig-leaf to try and undermine him.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

sonofenoch wrote: »
    No but there would be a big elephant in the room, 145 has now become something of a vacuous division (or certainly not at the height it was with McGregor and Aldo)

That's not exactly fair when any division Conor is active in will have more of a following due to him as a character and promoter. 145 is a phenomenal division for the people who enjoy the sport. Volkanovski is well rounded with great fight IQ, Ortega has amazing BJJ and has improved his striking a ton, Max is a solid striker with great takedown defense, Zabit still has question marks over his cardio. Its actually a lot less predictable than the LW division currently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Everyone has a plan till they get hit in the face. Conor always has a punchers chance.

When Conor fought Khabib, I remember people saying after the fight that he got mauled and destroyed etc.

But as time passes by, I think a lot of people look back at that fight and can see that Conor did reasonably well. Especially considering he hadn't been in an Octagon for 2 years and was going through some personal "issues". Round 1 and 3 were decent rounds for Conor. It was mainly 2 were he was in big trouble.

Would love to see Conor get back motivated. 155 would be great if there was eventually a rematch with Khabib. Otherwise the more exciting challenges might be at 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

When Conor fought Khabib, I remember people saying after the fight that he got mauled and destroyed etc.

But as time passes by, I think a lot of people look back at that fight and can see that Conor did reasonably well. Especially considering he hadn't been in an Octagon for 2 years and was going through some personal "issues". Round 1 and 3 were decent rounds for Conor. It was mainly 2 were he was in big trouble.

Would love to see Conor get back motivated. 155 would be great if there was eventually a rematch with Khabib. Otherwise the more exciting challenges might be at 170

This is very true. To be honest the Conor we saw against Khabib was probably the worst conditioned we have seen him to this point.

He was not seen around the gym in months. He basically got off the couch a few weeks before the fight after not having fought MMA for 2 years and been on the mad session to fight the next best fighter in the world who has been tee total and dedicated his whole life.

Can you imagine if an Olympic athlete took two years off and then went into an Olympic final with just a few weeks training?

All things considered I think it shows how good Conor actually is that it was even competitive. The falling out between Conor and John happened after this fight because I think was obvious the dedication was not there in the months prior and the result spoke for itself.

Really Conor had no one else to blame, he had his opportunity but was not in the right place to grasp it verses Khabib. That said he has done very well for himself so I am sure that takes the sting out of it.

I think a fully conditioned and focused Conor would have likely beaten Khabib or else it would have been a much closer fight. However we will never really know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

If McGregor didn't cheat so much against Khabib he would've been finished much earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The jumped off the couch line makes no sense. It was absolute prime mcGregor againt Diaz, and he was slowing down in the second in both fights.

Advertisement