Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

xtal191 wrote: »
    If McGregor didn't cheat so much against Khabib he would've been finished much earlier

Yup, a referee enforcing the rules and he pretty much would have needed KO by round 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Cant believe people are complaining about Khabib weight.

MaGregor turned himself into a mythical figure by fighting midgets. He wasnt so mythical when he went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,331 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

derfderf wrote: »
    The jumped off the couch line makes no sense. It was absolute prime mcGregor againt Diaz, and he was slowing down in the second in both fights.

He Diaz fights were at 170. Khabib was at 155. The extra weight affects cardio - take was never an issue at 145 (Mendes, Holloway etc).

But I think off the couch was more about general technique sharpness and specific planning for Khabib.
    Cant believe people are complaining about Khabib weight.

MaGregor turned himself into a mythical figure by fighting midgets. He wasnt so mythical when he went up.

If you make the weight you make the weight. He made FW everytime.
    At 155 he only lost to Khabib, who people are calling P4P best and GOAT contender. Losing to Khabib is hardly being exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

xtal191 wrote:
    If McGregor didn't cheat so much against Khabib he would've been finished much earlier

Ah ffs, if my aunty had calls she'd be my uncle.

Mellor wrote:
    If you make the weight you make the weight. He made FW everytime. At 155 he only lost to Khabib, who people are calling P4P best and GOAT contender. Losing to Khabib is hardly being exposed.
    You are dealing with McGregor haters here. Some of them pretend to be Khabib fans but you'll find that it's all negative about Conor McGregor, probably because they are so jealous of an Irishman whose made a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

When Conor fought Khabib, I remember people saying after the fight that he got mauled and destroyed etc.

But as time passes by, I think a lot of people look back at that fight and can see that Conor did reasonably well. Especially considering he hadn't been in an Octagon for 2 years and was going through some personal "issues". Round 1 and 3 were decent rounds for Conor. It was mainly 2 were he was in big trouble.

Would love to see Conor get back motivated. 155 would be great if there was eventually a rematch with Khabib. Otherwise the more exciting challenges might be at 170.

Remember watching some fighters reactions after the fight on utube, there was Sonnen who was very impressed by McGregor (tho his views seem to change depending on the day) but there was another whose name escapes me has trained and grappled with Khabib, he was positively glowing about McGregors defence even went as far as saying he was more impressed by that than by Khabibs offence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Remember watching some fighters reactions after the fight on utube, there was Sonnen who was very impressed by McGregor (tho his views seem to change depending on the day) but there was another whose name escapes me has trained and grappled with Khabib, he was positively glowing about McGregors defence even went as far as saying he was more impressed by that than by Khabibs offence

The breakdown by Forest Griffin is very complimentary. Conor landed the knee to the head as Khabib shot, and probably could've disengaged at a number of points during the initial scramble.

Watching with the retrospective of the efforts of Porier and Gaethje, he did far better than either of them.
    xtal191 wrote: »

That's a fair call, but they are also stupid, arbitrary rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    He Diaz fights were at 170. Khabib was at 155. The extra weight affects cardio - take was never an issue at 145 (Mendes, Holloway etc).

The first Diaz fight was short notice though. It's not like he bulked up for it. He probably fought around his normal fight weight without a cut.

derfderf wrote: »
    The first Diaz fight was short notice though. It's not like he bulked up for it. He probably fought around his normal fight weight without a cut.
    I think he took the opportunity to go nuts on diet. Dropped his nutritionist.There was a comment about steaks at every meal etc.
    But as I said, I don’t think the comment was about weight, but rather sharpness. He was in back to back camps for years at that point.
    He 6 fights in 2015-16 in the run up to the LW title. Prior to Khabib fight in 2018, he hadn’t fought MMA in 2 years - and his fair share of time no where near a gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mellor wrote: »

But I think off the couch was more about general technique sharpness and specific planning for Khabib.

If you make the weight you make the weight. He made FW everytime.
    At 155 he only lost to Khabib
    , who people are calling P4P best and GOAT contender. Losing to Khabib is hardly being exposed.

He's only fought there twice ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The breakdown by Forest Griffin is very complimentary. Conor landed the knee to the head as Khabib shot, and probably could've disengaged at a number of points during the initial scramble.

Watching with the retrospective of the efforts of Porier and Gaethje, he did far better than either of them.

Josh Thompson was the one I couldn't thinking of, positively glowing of McGregors performance more for the fact he was surprised he had it in his game.....can't find that vid on utube now

The post was about him not belonging at FW. I was pointing out he never missed weight, simple really. If Conor shouldn't have cut to 145, Khabib shouldn't be at LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are dealing with McGregor haters here. Some of them pretend to be Khabib fans but you'll find that it's all negative about Conor McGregor, probably because they are so jealous of an Irishman whose made a fortune.

This explains a lot of your recent posts.

This explains a lot of your recent posts.
    What posts?
    I'm not a huge McGregor fan, don't like the nasty stuff he was at.
    I respect him as a business man though.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

In the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

In the UFC.

Still, after all this time and knowing and following his career, I'm still taken aback every time I see he's only fought twice at his optimum weight class in the UFC. Crazy.

Still, after all this time and knowing and following his career, I'm still taken aback every time I see he's only fought twice at his optimum weight class in the UFC. Crazy.
    How have you decided that lightweight is his optimum weight class?
    I'd imagine featherweight is given his height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

How have you decided that lightweight is his optimum weight class?
    I'd imagine featherweight is given his height.

It's called weight class not hieght class . You have to be taking the piss after telling us all week khabib is a welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

US2 wrote: »
    It's called weight class not hieght class . You have to be taking the piss after telling us all week khabib is a welterweight.

He is taking the piss and the amount of replies he gets on this and the fight thread is unreal

US2 wrote:
    I've decided because you all disagree that welterweight is Khabib's proper weigh class that lightweight is McGregor's. He's 5'8" tall, always made weight at feather without a struggle.

• Advertisement

Nigzcurran wrote:
    He is taking the piss and the amount of replies he gets on this and the fight thread is unreal
    It's amazing how it all turned when I found out that even Javier Mendez admitted the weigh in looked dodgy.

I've decided because you all disagree that welterweight is Khabib's proper weigh class that lightweight is McGregor's. He's 5'8" tall, always made weight at feather without a struggle.

Didn’t you say you thought Khabib was about 175 in there?
    That’s a LW not a WW.
    Big Welterweights walk into the cage around 190, small welters would still be north of 180

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just popped into this thread... jaysis lads :rolleyes:

tenor.gif

Mellor wrote:
    Didn’t you say you thought Khabib was about 175 in there? That’s a LW not a WW. Big Welterweights walk into the cage around 190, small welters would still be north of 180
    I didn't guess his weight, I said if Gaethje was 160 then I'd guess Khabib was 175. If Gaethje was 170 then I'd guess Khabib was 185. There looked to be at least a stone in the difference between them.

I didn't guess his weight, I said if Gaethje was 160 then I'd guess Khabib was 175. If Gaethje was 170 then I'd guess Khabib was 185. There looked to be at least a stone in the difference between them.

Well, not being able to tell the difference between 160 and 170 or 175 and 185 is probably common, but it kinda questions the reliability of your estimate of their weights in general.

FWIW, I didn't think there was anything near a 15lbs between them. I'm not going to get a job guessing weights in a carnival or anything. But I compete in a sport with weight divisions, so Im constantly aware of what people atually weigh. I'd say Khabib was 175, and Gaethje about 168 - his choice he could be heavier if he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Also. Gaethje would be a slimmer build compared to Khabib's ninja turtle like physique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Also. Gaethje would be a slimmer build compared to Khabib's ninja turtle like physique.

I don't know what it is about Khabib's head, but it just looks solid. And his neck. Particularly in interviews. He doesn't have a big head, but it looks like you'd break a baseball bat if you hit him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

As per my post in the other thread..Lads the bickering is getting tiresome..I have no problem banning a few of you for a week or two for the sake of some peace and quiet if you can't have a normal discussion like grown adults. That's directed at everyone..so cut out the nonsense or you will find yourself on a break, and once you go on a break they only get longer the next time until its permanent one. If you aren't able to have a proper discussion then maybe do yourself a favour and just don't post here and take it to reddit or Sherdog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You've just contradicted yourself.

• Advertisement

You've just contradicted yourself.
    No I did not. I just gave examples of disparity in my opinion, I never guessed a weight.

Advertisement