Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you make the weight you can fight at that weight, its that simple. McGregor turned himself into a corpse to make FW, Darren Till killed himself to make WW when he's clearly a middleweight. I really don't think you gain much of an advantage fighting against smaller guys as you have put your body through some serious change to make the weight.

I've cut weight for a fight in a weight class I shouldn't have been fighting in, its ****ing awful, I was gassed so quickly into the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

eagle eye wrote: »
    No I did not. I just gave examples of disparity in my opinion, I never guessed a weight.

"I'd guess Khabib was 175"

yeah you did, it's literally there in black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

yeah you did, it's literally there in black and white.
    I said IF Gaethje was a certain weight that I'd guess Khabib was a weight.

How can you not grasp that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I said IF Gaethje was a certain weight that I'd guess Khabib was a weight.

How can you not grasp that?

Because it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Anyway,

Do we reckon Conor v Dustin 2 goes the same way as the first one?
    Both have made big improvements and Dustin seems a lot more durable than he was at FW, he's still very hittable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Because it makes no sense.
    You are making no sense.

You are making no sense.

Excuse you, I nearly always make sense sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Anyway, back to McGregor. He looks in great shape in the pictures he has been posting, think he's training out in Portugal with at Colin Byrne's Shinobi Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Anyway,

Both have made big improvements and Dustin seems a lot more durable than he was at FW, he's still very hittable though.

Yeah, i think he's a dream match for Conor. Dustin has improved for sure since the first fight, but as you say, he gets hit too easily.

Conor Rd 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Would be amazing if it actually went ahead, what are the chances of it in January?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Anyway,

I'd be very very surprised if McGregor didn't win a similar fashion, first or second round KO imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Conor on social media today saying he is all set to fight at lightweight, thanks to FAST of course!
    Looks like the ball is still rolling for this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

wish the UFC would just announce it already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

wish the UFC would just announce it already

Dana said they've both signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

https://youtu.be/CqQlkRSD_VA

Great fan made documentary on khabib conor. I think it's better than anything ufc or espn could put out

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Conor doing a q & a on Twitter at the moment. Some good stuff in there like as long ufc give him the dates, he would fight top 5 guys at lw by end of q1 '21. Said he is concentrating on LW next year.

Some gems then like this.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1323003578789842946?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

That Jeremy Stephens initial tweet was hilarious tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Remember that time Conor said he would fight 3 times in 2020? I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Q&A was decent

its that kind of stuff he needs to do to reconnect with the fans and get a buzz going, it seemed like he enjoyed it aswell.

He needs all he can to reclaim the top selling PPV the Khabib V Gaethje did...... 675k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Doff wrote: »
    Remember that time Conor said he would fight 3 times in 2020? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm fairness to him Covid did kind of ruin any plans and you can see he has been trying to get fights. Dana ain't easy to work wit. Not that Conor is either mind.

But yeah he will never fight 3+ times in a year cause the UFC are too slow to book top fights even when the fighters want them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

fitzparker wrote: »
    Q&A was decent

its that kind of stuff he needs to do to reconnect with the fans and get a buzz going, it seemed like he enjoyed it aswell.

He needs all he can to reclaim the top selling PPV the Khabib V Gaethje did...... 675k

:confused::confused::confused:

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

That's the joke,

Dana was creaming himself that 254 was trending to smash the current PPV record when it didn't even make the top 20 of all time and only 5th highest in 2020.

Conor's records will never be broke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

fitzparker wrote: »
    That's the joke,

Dana was creaming himself that 254 was trending to smash the current PPV record when it didn't even make the top 20 of all time and only 5th highest in 2020.

Conor's records will never be broke

It was never gonna do a big but rate being on at that time, just didn't suit the US market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dana said... that they had both signed and it was a done deal on Sat night

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1323400307569790976?s=19

US2 wrote: »
    Dana said... that they had both signed and it was a done deal on Sat night

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1323400307569790976?s=19

Saw that and he deleted it not long after. Hard to know if he was told to remove it or just felt like a sap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Honestly Dana takes the absolute piss when trying to make fights. I get it is probably hard to work out the details but consistently he seems to waste months to organise fights when the fighters themselves are always pushing for it to be sooner.

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Honestly Dana takes the absolute piss when trying to make fights. I get it is probably hard to work out the details but consistently he seems to waste months to organise fights when the fighters themselves are always pushing for it to be sooner.

Cant imagine Conor is the easiest to negotiate with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

From Porriers tweet it looks like they sent him a contract to fight someone else. Maybe they want McGregor V Gathje

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

US2 wrote: »
    From Porriers tweet it looks like they sent him a contract to fight someone else. Maybe they want McGregor V Gathje

I took it as them lowballing him again. Same thing happened for the Ferguson fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

What happened to McGregor being the money fight? Red panty night?

I remember Mendes & Diaz, going from like $40k up to $500k. Then Alvarez was reported to have fought on his normal contract. Cerrone too I think got his standard pay. Disclosed anyway, PPV might be different story.

I wondered why Mendes & Diaz got those rises. They would have taken the fight for less I say. UFC seem to have changed tack on this after Diaz held them over a barrel for the rematch.

Tough spot for Poirier. Refuse the fight because you think you deserve more & miss out on all the other benefits.

Advertisement