Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,330 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mendes and Diaz were short notice negotiations.
    Think disclosed pay only tells part of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I can see UFC lowballing Dustin out of this fight too and offering it to Tony. Would potentially kick things off between Tony and Dustin too and create some hype for when they do eventually fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Fighter agrees to and signs contract then doesn't want to honor contract. On to Justin or Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Doff wrote:
    I can see UFC lowballing Dustin out of this fight too and offering it to Tony. Would potentially kick things off between Tony and Dustin too and create some hype for when they do eventually fight.
    They're at the stage with McGregor's contract that they need to be real careful or he might have the opportunity to walk. I don't think it's a good idea to mess with Dustin at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

eagle eye wrote: »
    They're at the stage with McGregor's contract that they need to be real careful or he might have the opportunity to walk. I don't think it's a good idea to mess with Dustin at this stage.

Nobody can walk anywhere while still under contract.

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote:
    Nobody can walk anywhere while still under contract.
    There's conditions and deadlines that have to be met in every contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Heard Dana say loads of times that he has to offer fighters 3 fights a year. Problem for McGregor is that he “retired”.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I recall an interview with a fighter before, maybe Ryan Hall but don't quote me on that, where they said they got offered and accepted fights but the other party didn't accept and it was still contractually UFC offering them a fight. I can't see UFC letting Conor walk away under any circumstances besides retirement.

Doff wrote:
    I can't see UFC letting Conor walk away under any circumstances besides retirement.
    The difference between McGregor and most fighters is that he can afford to go to court.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Heard Dana say loads of times that he has to offer fighters 3 fights a year. Problem for McGregor is that he “retired”.

McGregor has never been retired, from a contractual point of view while in the UFC.
    I think the biggest mistake is assume COnor had a 3 fight per year clause in his contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Is McGregor / Porrier confirmed ?

Why would McGregor take this ?

It's another big meh fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Is McGregor / Porrier confirmed ?

Why would McGregor take this ?

It's another big meh fight
    Elaborate, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Mellor wrote: »
    I think the biggest mistake is assume COnor had a 3 fight per year clause in his contract.

That’s fair. He’s unlikely to have the same contract as others and may not have that clause.

I don’t think they will end up in court anyway.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Elaborate, please.

He beat him so easily already.

They can build Porier improving since then up all they like. Still doesnt change the fact what happened the 1st time .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

They can build Porier improving since then up all they like. Still doesnt change the fact what happened the 1st time .

Ah would ye stop it was years ago in a different weight class

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Ah would ye stop it was years ago in a different weight class

It was embarrassing to watch.

I think people want a McGregor fight so bad its clouding their judgement.

And who should he fight exactly?
    Poirier's ranked number 2. not counting the champion. It's a logical fight to make.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    And who should he fight exactly?
    Poirier's ranked number 2. not counting the champion. It's a logical fight to make.

Logical for a title shot afterwards i agree. Im not going to pretend its a very interesting fight . Each to their own

Tazzimus wrote:
    And who should he fight exactly? Poirier's ranked number 2. not counting the champion. It's a logical fight to make.
    There's no champion, he retired.

Yes, I'm aware.
    I was talking about the rankings, where he's listed as #2, not counting the Champion. #3 if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was an even fight up until one half decent shot, an illegal blow or two from McGregor and then Poiriers lack of movement while being punched in the back of the head giving the ref the option of an early stoppage.

The Nal wrote:
    Was an even fight up until one half decent shot, an illegal blow or two from McGregor and then Poiriers lack of movement while being punched in the back of the head giving the ref the option of an early stoppage.
    Lol, such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lol, such nonsense.

First one fine - no intent

2nd two shots - illegal

giphy.gif

The Nal wrote: »
    First one fine - no intent

2nd two shots - illegal

giphy.gif
    So side/top kinda of the head (Dustin ducked), side of the head, back/more top of the head (Dustin turned his head), adjusted to hit the other side of the head, side of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

He pucked Poirier around the gaff with serious ease in that fight.

Logical for a title shot afterwards i agree. Im not going to pretend its a very interesting fight . Each to their own

Who would you like to see him fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

There is a champion. Khabib is still listed as champion. He's still in the USADA testing pool. Anyone that retires would be coming out of the testing pool straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Nal wrote: »

Is this a joke? Porier was down completely without any follow up shots. They weren't really even necessary.

You would be beyond grasping at straws if you were alluding to "illegal shots" being the reason he beat Porier.

US2 wrote:
    There is a champion. Khabib is still listed as champion. He's still in the USADA testing pool. Anyone that retires would be coming out of the testing pool straight away.
    I'm going by what he said which was that he is retired.
    Did you speak to him or something? Did he change his mind?

• Advertisement

I'm going by what he said which was that he is retired.
    Did you speak to him or something? Did he change his mind?

Regardless of what he said, and whether or not he has any intention of fighting again. The fact is he is still officially the champion.

Advertisement