Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mellor wrote:
    Regardless of what he said, and whether or not he has any intention of fighting again. The fact is he is still officially the champion.
    Well that's just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,330 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well that's just stupid.

It's a fact, how is it stupid?
    Feel free to produce any evidence that proves it wrong.

Mellor wrote:
    It's a fact, how is it stupid? Feel free to produce any evidence that proves it wrong.
    The man said he's retired. How is he still Champion when he has retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'm going by what he said which was that he is retired.
    Did you speak to him or something? Did he change his mind?

Why the smart mouth all the time? He's still the champion he hasn't officially retired.

The man said he's retired. How is he still Champion when he has retired?
    Because he hasn’t been striped of the title. It couldn’t be more simple.
    He is officially the incumbent LW champion.

Retiring from the sport and being the reigning champion are related, but independent to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

till somebody wins the belt in a title match then khabib has to be classified as the champion, it’s fairly obvious and shouldn’t need explaining

I usually cringe when people think they know the weight of a fighter by looking at a pic, but he looks fcuking massive in that latest post on Facebook.

Mellor wrote:
    Because he hasn’t been striped of the title. It couldn’t be more simple. He is officially the incumbent LW champion.
    Retiring from the sport and being the reigning champion are related, but independent to each other.
    And you don't think it should be done already?
    When should it be done? Before or after two of the top ranked fighters meet?

When Khabib tells the UFC he is vacating the belt and removes himself from the USADA testing pool.

US2 wrote:
    When Khabib tells the UFC he is vacating the belt and removes himself from the USADA testing pool.

Has he not done that? Do you know?

• Advertisement

Has he not done that? Do you know?

I know he's still the champion and still in testing pool. Can't think of many who retired at the top but when GSP did, and Henry Cejudo their belts were vacant and removed from rankings within days. Khabibs not officially retired.

Khabibs manager was on Twitter the day after the fight saying the belt isn't vacant. Dana said he isn't retired. Everything points to him not being retired. Emotions got the better of him after the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Would be pretty funny if he waits til the day after the Porier McGregor fight to vacate it.

I don’t know what conversations have happened post from fight. If Khabib was actively staying in the testing pool. It would point to him not being retired.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Would be pretty funny if he waits til the day after the Porier McGregor fight to vacate it.

When I heard Ali saying it wasn’t vacant. That was the first thing I thought of.

US2 wrote:
    Khabibs manager was on Twitter the day after the fight saying the belt isn't vacant. Dana said he isn't retired. Everything points to him not being retired. Emotions got the better of him after the fight.
    Khabib stated again two days ago that he's retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Lots of fighters say they are retired, these days it means nothing unless they remove themselves from the USADA pool. How many times has McGregor retired? Khabib can say what he wants, Ali can say what he wants, and Dana can say what he wants but the fact is Khabib is still in the USADA pool and is still listed as the reigning LW champ and number 1 P4P on the official rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Lads, this is the McGregor thread, not the khabib thread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Leave the moderating to the mods..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That's an odd reply.
    I haven´t contributed to this thread, but i enjoy reading it. I see how the conversation progresses, and as a result of other (more knowlegable) peoples thoughts we are where we are... and clearly it is on topic, not needed for the off topic thread.
    would you prefer to read about McGregors future adversaries on some daily rag?

Anyway... back to 155...

There is a very high chance if Khabib officially retires then the McGregor/Porier fight becomes for the title, sorry if that aspect of the discussion is unclear to you.

• Advertisement

Doff wrote: »
    There is a very high chance if Khabib officially retires then the McGregor/Porier fight becomes for the title, sorry if that aspect of the discussion is unclear to you.

Javier Mendez (Khabib’s coach) has said that fight should be for the next LW champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Nunes fight off dec 12th. Conor? Dustin?

I read that earlier and was thinking the same, also more reports coming out about Dustin not signing the contract yet and that UFC may be looking to offer the Conor fight to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I've seen 3 mma pages say McGregor/poirier is official for ufc257 in January

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Poirier has signed the contract apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I've seen 3 mma pages say McGregor/poirier is official for ufc257 in January

I thought this was a chartiy event/fight?

It's a UFC PPV main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

They had discussed it between them before the UFC got involved. The UFC had the option of either shutting down a charity fight, or setting up the fight themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Looks like a donedeal - John Kavanagh posted on Twitter "It's on"

A win for Mcgregor here and he will be fighting for the lightweight belt next - if he loses it will be probably be the trilogy fight with Diaz or the boxing route.

• Advertisement

I'd love if the pair of them decided to donate their ppv share to charity and ask the UFC to match it. Watch Dana's face when he hears that, it'd be one of these. :mad::(

Advertisement