Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Apparently Khabib has vacated the belt and it's on the line for this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

GiftofGab wrote: »
    The run up to this fight is very quiet. When can we expect press conferences and YouTube documentaries/training videos?

Poirier’s been on everything.
    There’s a couple of interviews on The Mac Life from McGregors camp now. I say we won’t hear much from him until a week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Chimaez isn't on the card anymore, they still published this nonsense this morning

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/conor-mcgregor-told-needs-hide-23235107

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm really looking forward to this fight, hoping we see the McGregor of Alvarez/ Cerrone fight form. Focused and sharp. Few more impressive athletes to watch at their peak

I'm really looking forward to this fight, hoping we see the McGregor of Alvarez/ Cerrone fight form. Focused and sharp. Few more impressive athletes to watch at their peak

I think that's what we're going to see, a masterclass. Hopefully Porrier can last a round or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Conor looks in amazing shape. I think he sparks Dustin early. Dana absolutely trying to angle the Khabib rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

The fight wont last half a round imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I think Dustin is more durable than he was previously and I also think he has matured as a fighter. I don't see his ego getting in his way and I think he will be smart and try to take it to the ground.

I don't think Dustin has the power to worry Conor on the feet. Conor will gladly take a shot from Dustin in order to land a clean one on him in return, and Dustin probably knows that too. Dustin does have a good gas tank, where as Conor's is still questionable, and I reckon that's how he should play it. Engage Conor early, take him down, try to tire him out on the ground and aim for a points win or a possible submission.

If Dustin doesn't get it to the ground I don't see it lasting past Rd, 1 or midway through Rd, 2 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I think Dustin is more durable than he was previously and I also think he has matured as a fighter. I don't see his ego getting in his way and I think he will be smart and try to take it to the ground.

I don't think Dustin has the power to worry Conor on the feet. Conor will gladly take a shot from Dustin in order to land a clean one on him in return, and Dustin probably knows that too. Dustin does have a good gas tank, where as Conor's is still questionable, and I reckon that's how he should play it. Engage Conor early, take him down, try to tire him out on the ground and aim for a points win or a possible submission.

If Dustin doesn't get it to the ground I don't see it lasting past Rd, 1 or midway through Rd, 2 at best.

It would be interesting to see Conor grappling. He has something of an underrated ability there, at least against anyone not named Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It would be interesting to see Conor grappling. He has something of an underrated ability there, at least against anyone not named Khabib.

Outside of Conor's team I don't think any of us really know his ground bility. We have only seen very small glimpses that I can remember against Holloway, Silver, Mendes, Diaz and Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He handled himself pretty well against Khabib as well. In the first round, he defended the takedowns and when he was taken down, Khabib wasn't able to do anything with it. Second round on was obviously a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

He handled himself pretty well against Khabib as well. In the first round, he defended the takedowns and when he was taken down, Khabib wasn't able to do anything with it. Second round on was obviously a different story.

His take down defence in that fight was pretty good. Also the Mendes fight, he was very patient on the ground and waited for his chance to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Getting pumped up for this now. The kids are asking can they stay up for the fight. Im sick of the Conor vs Khabib talk. Its a fight I dont want to see. The only reason I would like to see Khabib fight again is against a top level grappler or BJJ. I say Conor wins the Dustin fight easy enough. Hopes are we get 3 pr 4 fights out of Conor in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Thought they might have had this on early like Khabib vs Gaethje was. Unfortunately not .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Outside of Conor's team I don't think any of us really know his ground bility. We have only seen very small glimpses that I can remember against Holloway, Silver, Mendes, Diaz and Khabib.
    Very small glimpses in the octagon. But he was competitive at purple years ago, and given the fact he doesn’t neglect his grappling, very hard to imagine a scenario where he isn’t essentially st black belt level. Where as random casual fan thinks a he’s a novice on the ground. I’m that sense he’s pretty underrated imo.

Randomly relevant.
    Gilbert Burns weighs in on Conor’s grappling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Thought they might have had this on early like Khabib vs Gaethje was. Unfortunately not .

very disappointing. was looking forward to it. my days of staying up until 5/6 am are well over i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Have a feeling Dustin might surprise a few people this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Doubt we'll see many big fights on at that time again. It sold half a million in the US, 150000 everywhere else. What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I tend to have the same feeling before every mcgregor fight, and it's probably pretty lazy thinking, but I either think he's going to blow the other fighter away or he's going to get ground down if they weather the storm.

And I feel the same this time :D Though I'm leaning towards mcgregor outclassing him in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

He'll surprise me if he gets through the first round. Khabib is by far the best lightweight and McGregor is a lot better than the rest. Honestly don't see him losing to anyone not named Khabib at lightweight but take those two away and its a very very competitive division imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Yeah funny enough I always have a bad feeling for mcgregor in every fight, cerone, aldo included. I think it's from reading opinions from those who dislike him. They'd have you convinced he'd lose every fight. Hope he wins and I want to see him fight Justin after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Mellor wrote: »
    Randomly relevant.
    Gilbert Burns weighs in on Conor’s grappling.

Thanks for posting.

I've never seen any of Dillon Danis' grappling, only heard John Kavanagh's high praise of it: interesting that Gilbert Burns' opinion is that Danis' grappling "isn't wow".

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting.

I've never seen any of Dillon Danis' grappling, only heard John Kavanagh's high praise of it: interesting that Gilbert Burns' opinion is that Danis' grappling "isn't wow".

Danis would pull burns leg from it's socket with ease. An Ali fighter not impartial

US2 wrote: »
    Danis would pull burns leg from it's socket with ease. An Ali fighter not impartial
    What? Burns is a former world champion. On what basis do you think Danis is winning with ease?

Yes, Burns is an Ali fighter. But his opinion on Conor’s grappling was pretty honest and fair. He gave him way more credit that others.
    wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting.

Dillion is a good grappler. Probably best on the mats in SBG in recent years. He has been competitive at black belt, but nothing special, no big titles and about a 50/50 record.
    Burns is an elite blackbelt himself, so his standard for “wow” is the likely guys beating the best consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Mellor wrote: »
    What? Burns is a former world champion. On what basis do you think Danis is winning with ease?

Yes, Burns is an Ali fighter. But his opinion on Conor’s grappling was pretty honest and fair. He gave him way more credit that others.

Dillion is a good grappler. Probably best on the mats in SBG in recent years. He has been competitive at black belt, but nothing special, no big titles and about a 50/50 record.
    Burns is an elite blackbelt himself, so his standard for “wow” is the likely guys beating the best consistently.

Wasn't Danis IBJJF World champ at brown belt level, Same as Tonon etc compete at at the time and wasn't he Pan Am Champ as well at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

something to look forward to in january. can't wait. i think conor sparks him within a minute.

ciano316 wrote: »
    Wasn't Danis IBJJF World champ at brown belt level, Same as Tonon etc compete at at the time and wasn't he Pan Am Champ as well at some stage.
    Yeah. He was a brown belt stand out. One of the Marcelo dream team. He’s best at black was Pam am win. Has lost twice to Tonon at black belt.
    At brown belt he was World champion in gi, nogi and Abu Dhabi pro.

Burns was World champion in gi, nogi and Abu Dhabi pro, at black belt level.
    Danis could win on the day, but I wouldn’t make him favourite.

He he is still very very good. Probably better than everyone in the country bar one or maybe two guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

US2 wrote: »

Lol.

What.

Go watch Gilbert grappling.

Advertisement