Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Fight week is when they will emerge, when the promo content drops. Conor has been very quiet so far and I'd say a lot of people don't even realise we are so close to this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

BT are being very quiet about it also no information on how to order it yet on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    BT are being very quiet about it also no information on how to order it yet on their website.

Saw it advertised during the Villa game last Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Im getting excited about this now I'm off that weekend and I'm counting the days ðŸ˜

If he goes in blows through poirier then we have to ask is he the best fighter he has ever been which I suspect he actually is and what next and who next?

Love him or hate him we watch when he fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Lucas Hood wrote: »

They bombarded the ads for it during the football this weekend for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think there is genuinely less interest in Conor these days. He got humbled badly by Khabib and took the defeat with all the grace of a certain outgoing US President.

The vast majority of his "supporters" were casuals and bandwagoners who would have jumped ship since his defeat.

If the fight gets announced as a title fight there will be more traction, but I think the majority of "that" type of poster can barely be bothered anymore. And the forum is all the better for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Love it, this thread is still buoyed by the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think there is genuinely less interest in Conor these days. He got humbled badly by Khabib and took the defeat with all the grace of a certain outgoing US President.

The vast majority of his "supporters" were casuals and bandwagoners who would have jumped ship since his defeat.

If the fight gets announced as a title fight there will be more traction, but I think the majority of "that" type of poster can barely be bothered anymore. And the forum is all the better for it!

Maybe in Ireland but his PPV numbers vs Cowboy were still great which shows that he's still a big draw.

There's also a lot less pre fight build up, no drama, no back and forth insults, no world tours or press conferences. That all added to a lot of the previous discussions on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

US2 wrote: »
    Remember the times this thread would be un readable 2 weeks out from a fight. Have that many people lost interest in him ?

Bad matchup and beast....the key phrases

ps I like the shaved head look...............shave the beard and go full menace

Am I the only Irish person rooting for Dustin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭bassy

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Im getting excited about this now I'm off that weekend and I'm counting the days ðŸ˜

If he goes in blows through poirier then we have to ask is he the best fighter he has ever been which I suspect he actually is and what next and who next?

Love him or hate him we watch when he fights.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Probably not the only one.
    But I heard on Whatsapp that if you root for Dustin you're 300% more likely to catch Covid.

Not worth the risk imo. Old school Conor camp for me.

Mellor wrote: »
    Probably not the only one.
    But I heard on Whatsapp that if you root for Dustin you're 300% more likely to catch Covid.

Not worth the risk imo. Old school Conor camp for me.

I tested positive two days ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Pretty hard to dislike Dustin. Can't say the same about Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I live in canada and am a half hour drive from US border. Dont worry kids, Conor is still massive. Ufc running ads last weekend during the college football rose bowl featuring eminem's new tune. Supposedly using a track in an ad from a guy like eminem costs big money.
    This is a massive fight.

I tested positive two days ago :D

That clearly confirms it. Stay safe folks out there.

Hope you get better soon.

Mellor wrote: »
    That clearly confirms it. Stay safe folks out there.

Hope you get better soon.

My wife is a front line worker and brought the virus home from work. Sucks but it is what it is

This fight is a win-win for me to be honest. McGregor is Irish so if he wins that's great, if Dustin wins I will be so happy for him :)

My wife is a front line worker and brought the virus home from work. Sucks but it is what it is

This fight is a win-win for me to be honest. McGregor is Irish so if he wins that's great, if Dustin wins I will be so happy for him :)

Look on the bright side. "You gave me covid" is a pretty good trump card to play in an arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Do you think the reduced marketing could be because they are afraid they'll spend a bunch of marketing money they can't recoup if someone from the main event has Covid and they need to change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

Are they going to charge much to see the fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Nope, not at all, anyone I talk to can't stand mc gregor, not surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’ll watch it but it has definitely lost its sparkle for me.
    I’ll never forget the Mendez fight ,build up, fight night, the amount of Irish, everybody knew somebody that was going , that was insane and I was bouncing around the room screaming my head off watching that.
    It’s a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Are they going to charge much to see the fight?

25 quid seems to be going rate for bt box office.

If you happen to take a trip to Netherlands for the weekend you should be able to watch on kijk.nl for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

No ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Went through a rocky patch a while back when my support for Conor was wafer thin but since the build up the cowboy fight I’m back in full fan mode and can’t wait for this one. Also loving the skin head and how focused he seems on his training and how little he’s in the red tops over any scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

If Conor loses, I don't think he'll lose, I think he'll win in 2 rounds, but if he does, what are his next options?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Esse85 wrote: »
    If Conor loses, I don't think he'll lose, I think he'll win in 2 rounds, but if he does, what are his next options?

Pacquiao?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Either the Maserati MC20 or the Aston Martin Vantage, I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

All depends on what he wants

Just wants one more fight? - Diaz (or this will be kept to late in his career/final fight)
    Still wants a title shot? - maybe Ferguson, who looks that time might have caught up with him would be a good option to stay around the top 3-5
    Or he heads off and does some farce boxing match

But I agree, I think he beats Poirier fairly handily if he's close to his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Pacquiao?

It's definitely a possibility.

What about 170?

I couldn't see him trying again in 155, he always goes after a new challenge.

Advertisement