Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Esse85 wrote: »
    It's definitely a possibility.

What about 170?

I couldn't see him trying again in 155, he always goes after a new challenge.
    The belt at 170? He'd be killed.
    Actual WW are huge compared to him. He walks around at 170, well probably a little over now, they cut down to 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Tazzimus wrote: »
    The belt at 170? He'd be killed.
    Actual WW are huge compared to him. He walks around at 170, well probably a little over now, they cut down to 170.

Usman would dwarf him alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Esse85 wrote: »
    If Conor loses, I don't think he'll lose, I think he'll win in 2 rounds, but if he does, what are his next options?

If he loses, which he 100% wont will be an easy night for him imo, he'd get a piss easy gimmie fight

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Doubtful if he'll be all that interested in defending a belt. As ever.

What he really wants more than anything is Khabib. Failing that, he will take a punt at 170, illadvised as that may be. Or Masvidal at 55 or catchweight. Nate will be his swansong.

Too many more lucrative fights than Hooker and the others. I could definitely get excited by Charles Oliviera, but he needs another good win. Islam could also make for a very interesting rivalry, but he needs to get going. All very unlikely if worthy opponents.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

US2 wrote: »
    Why would people get banned ? There was always a good few casual fans gaining interest a few weeks out from a fight. None this time around..

Clearly im not referring to people, casuals or otherwise discussing the fight...its the other nonsense they bring up that gets people banned. Thankfully theres less of that lately, which to my point I assume if is because they finally have some sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

IF Conor wins in style which he may I think there are 3 options ,

Title fight ,
    Khabib
    Masvidal for the BMF at a catch weight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Did he fly out to abu dhabi yet? What ever happened to Andrew mcgahon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Looks like it on IG.

No idea what he does with himself although I know he is a brown belt these days ,

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

Any way of ordering this fight in if your not a sky customer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Have a feeling if it goes past the third then it’s Dustin’s !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I don't see any possible way of Dustin winning, if its not over in 2/3 rounds it goes the distance, Conor will win the first 3 rounds and Dustin needs to go for a KO ( he wont take Conor down) add to that Conor took the 4th against Nate so the "no" cardio thing is a bit overhyped.

Realistically since Conor last fought Dustin, (bar Nate) he hasnt really took some damage (chad maybe but that was a couple elbows in space of a minute that did the damage)

where as Dustin has been through wars. Duffy, Gaethje, Holloway, Hooker, Eddie

If he gets touched by Conor this time I think its lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

rudders wrote: »
    Any way of ordering this fight in if your not a sky customer?

10 days out & still no details on bt box office website.

I was interested in Khabib vs Gaethje & for that you did need to be sky customer. I have read that if you buy in the UK with a UK credit card, you can watch abroad using bt box office app. Maybe there’s something can be done there.

fitzparker wrote: »
    I don't see any possible way of Dustin winning, if its not over in 2/3 rounds it goes the distance, Conor will win the first 3 rounds and Dustin needs to go for a KO ( he wont take Conor down) add to that Conor took the 4th against Nate so the "no" cardio thing is a bit overhyped.

Realistically since Conor last fought Dustin, (bar Nate) he hasnt really took some damage (chad maybe but that was a couple elbows in space of a minute that did the damage)

where as Dustin has been through wars. Duffy, Gaethje, Holloway, Hooker, Eddie

If he gets touched by Conor this time I think its lights out.

I agree but who is bothered seeing conor amping up bums as he called them for years..who cares, no challenges at all, he blew his big chance again Khabib and that's it, he's only trying to be relevant now. I like him but it's a fighters game not a personality competition and having a mark 2 against a journeyman you dropped with a glancing blow in a matter of minutes, is shyte...

Same with Donald, he had absolute miles on the clock, lining these fights up is just entertainment akin to a friendly bout but it's far far from a challenge.
    Also any man has a punchers chance so it would be a nightmare if he gets rocked and beat too..he'll be tweeting thanks for the cheese again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Calling Dustin a journeyman is a bit much..

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

rusty cole wrote: »
    I agree but who is bothered seeing conor amping up bums as he called them for years..who cares, no challenges at all, he blew his big chance again Khabib and that's it, he's only trying to be relevant now. I like him but it's a fighters game not a personality competition and having a mark 2 against a journeyman you dropped with a glancing blow in a matter of minutes, is shyte...

Same with Donald, he had absolute miles on the clock, lining these fights up is just entertainment akin to a friendly bout but it's far far from a challenge.
    Also any man has a punchers chance so it would be a nightmare if he gets rocked and beat too..he'll be tweeting thanks for the cheese again!!

Who would you like to see him fight then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Who would you like to see him fight then?

Tyson Fury because challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Ah come on so who would you want him to fight?

Im looking forward to the fight, just gave my opinion how it goes, we could get a 5 round war, but conor still wins IMO

what is your definition of journeyman? surely if Dustin fits your category everyone else in the top 10 does aswell

Bar Gaethje and Ferreira everyone else has 5 or more losses

fitzparker wrote: »
    Ah come on so who would you want him to fight?

Im looking forward to the fight, just gave my opinion how it goes, we could get a 5 round war, but conor still wins IMO

what is your definition of journeyman? surely if Dustin fits your category everyone else in the top 10 does aswell

Bar Gaethje and Ferreira everyone else has 5 or more losses

oh no, I wasn't having a go at all, I agree with you and I have no idea who'd be a good match, I tuned out after sport became a casualty of covid. at 155, I think 155 is not a very challenging division, it would be 170 but them lads walk out over 180lbs on the night, he'd feel a smack off them more so.

In one sense, it;s good that he's being active, I like him and his comeback videos keep me going when im up at 6am training in my gaff during covid, just sounding off in the backround is cool.

I just don't see a challenge for him at 155, despite what people say a fit strong conor will take Gaethje off his feet as he is not that polished a puncher, not in mcgregors league. Paul Felder takes front legs out and he's cardio for days and is dangerous, I;d say that would be a potential upset or RDA maybe?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Calling Dustin a journeyman is a bit much..

he lasted less than 2 mins, that was a journeyman for mcgregor at that time.
    He may not be this time but if mcgregor takes his time, it could be 2 minutes again.

anyway, it is nice to have something to look forward too but I wont have the anticipation nerves of a UFC 189 anyway.

• Advertisement

Was Aldo a journeyman too, based on the logic your using?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I just don't see a challenge for him at 155, despite what people say a fit strong conor will take Gaethje off his feet as he is not that polished a puncher, not in mcgregors league. Paul Felder takes front legs out and he's cardio for days and is dangerous, I;d say that would be a potential upset or RDA maybe?
    Lightweight is one of the more competitive divisions. Anyways has been.
    Conor is a lightweight fighter.
    He’s simply not a welterweight. Could he beat some, sure. But not top guys.
    That’s not what journeyman means.
    Has nothing to do with who you fight or how long you last.

At the time, Porrier was top 5 or so. People were talking about Conor being found out against a proven top fighter.
    (After that hopes were elevated to wrestler Mendes, and Goat Aldo)

Mellor wrote: »
    Lightweight is one of the more competitive divisions. Anyways has been.
    Conor is a lightweight fighter.
    He’s simply not a welterweight. Could he beat some, sure. But not top guys.

That’s not what journeyman means.
    Has nothing to do with who you fight or how long you last.

At the time, Porrier was top 5 or so. People were talking about Conor being found out against a proven top fighter.
    (After that hopes were elevated to wrestler Mendes, and Goat Aldo)

I know what it means, that's how Mcgregor described him at the time, I was paraphrasing but it's hardly a Diaz 2 potential War.
    he fulfilled the role by padding out the upcoming CV so I'm not saying he's crap at all, back on point I just don't see him as a challenge BUT a good fight would be great to see for both lads.

actually what about an ALDO 2 fight, that might be good no??

actually what about an ALDO 2 fight, that might be good no??

Wouldn't be good for anyone, the Ultimate Warrior would be a better fight than Aldo.

Dustin is a world class fighter, He has been second best fighter on the planet in the light weight division in the last 3 years ,
    Its just a shame for him that Khabib happened to be in his weigh class

People calling him a journey man have no clue ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Watched an interview with Dustin yesterday saying it's hard to make 155/156 for him now.
    Hopefully he has no problem this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

having a mark 2 against a journeyman you dropped with a glancing blow in a matter of minutes, is shyte...

839.png

:pac:
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    839.png

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:brilliant.

Dustin is a world class fighter, He has been second best fighter on the planet in the light weight division in the last 3 years ,
    Its just a shame for him that Khabib happened to be in his weigh class

People calling him a journey man have no clue ,

maybe 145 just took too much out of him, like I said because of how it finished last time it's hard to get excited but look they're only fights and it's sport so twill be interesting to see as I said, fook all else doing.

when's the countdown show dyas thinK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Are they doing an embedded?

Advertisement