Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mcgregor on the weighing in podcast was very good. Very focused, ala old Mcgregor.

Really looking forward to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Whelo79 wrote: »
    There's a picture of McGregor today sitting on a chair getting his hands wrapped and he looks HUGE. His chest, his arms, his legs, all look enormous.

136970821_3915112875223649_4705332046122580675_o-jpg.24598

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I don't buy the nonsense that he wasn't motivated or training for the Khabib fight but there is definitely a different vibe off him in these interviews. So calm. I change my prediction from 2 minutes to 30 seconds.

This will be the first and only exchange.

https://twitter.com/ThaWeasle/status/1349356713992990725?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

US2 wrote: »
    I don't buy the nonsense that he wasn't motivated or training for the Khabib fight...

To be fair, people where saying that around tht time long before Conor or his team addressed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I don't buy the nonsense that he wasn't motivated or training for the Khabib fight but there is definitely a different vibe off him in these interviews. So calm. I change my prediction from 2 minutes to 30 seconds.

I believe it...don't think he was focused at all. He was on the charles so much around that time. Remember seeing an interview with Ariel Helwani and he subtly addressed it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He was totally off the rails coming into that fight,
    Absolutely no structure to his camp at all ,
    Also he severely damaged his foot in a few weeks out,

Not to say he would have beat Khabib but he certainly did not give him self the best chance if he doesn't get a rematch its something that will haunt him ,

Just got to look at his physical appearance in the Khabib fight he was slacking

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What channel is broadcasting the Poirier fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

walshb wrote: »
    What channel is broadcasting the Poirier fight?

BT Sports Box Office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Dana has post up of him going into a room with khabib and khabib cousin is off the conor card, to avoid the the two meeting. Pointless really they're bound to run into each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Dave0301

dave1982 wrote: »
    Dana has post up of him going into a room with khabib and khabib cousin is off the conor card, to avoid the the two meeting. Pointless really they're bound to run into each other

Dana's wet dream must be a McGregor win next weekend and then a rematch against Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

Khabib ain't coming back unless its against GSP at a catch-weight imo, its the fight his father always wanted and I don't think he'll be making 155 again, he really struggled last time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Dana to give update on Khabib meeting and impact on McGregor Vs Poirier later today. Wonder is McGregor fight getting bumped to a title fight?

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1350413174277812224?s=19

Snap^

RoryMac wrote: »
    Dana to give update on Khabib meeting and impact on McGregor Vs Poirier later today. Wonder is McGregor fight getting bumped to a title fight?

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1350413174277812224?s=19
    Just posted that at same time haha. Yeah looks like it's for fitle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

RoryMac wrote:

Also says it has impact for co main? Either the above or the winners of both fights then meet for the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Also says it has impact for co main? Either the above or the winners of both fights then meet for the title?

Or a bit of both with McGregor/Poirier for the title and winner of Hooker/Chandler next in line.

I'd think if Khabib said he was done fighting or only interested in a GSP fight then they won't waste time with an Interim belt, big publicity for them if McGregor wins to have him back as a champion

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

RoryMac wrote: »
    Or a bit of both with McGregor/Poirier for the title and winner of Hooker/Chandler next in line.

I'd think if Khabib said he was done fighting or only interested in a GSP fight then they won't waste time with an Interim belt, big publicity for them if McGregor wins to have him back as a champion

Main is for the title, co-main is for an interim belt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Yeah, Dana said in an interview this week that McGregor v Poirier definitely wouldn't be for the title. I reckon it will be the winners of the main and co-main getting matched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Interim interim champ champs

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I reckon winner of Conor and Dustin fights Gaethje for the belt in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I know its Dana bit the pressure he seems to have put on Khabib to return is horrible. I mean he retired for a reason, not a thanks for the cheese or going off to make property investments.

This i suppose is why I dont follow any of the goings on outside the cage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I know its Dana bit the pressure he seems to have put on Khabib to return is horrible. I mean he retired for a reason, not a thanks for the cheese or going off to make property investments.

Dont know man. He would make millions for coming back. Dana said earlier that it would be a 5 minute conversation. Yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dana is well known to be a piece of ****, this shouldn't surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Showbiz baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib has “retired”. But also stayed in the testing pool and hasn’t relinquished the belt. He’s played into the situation imo.
    Dana would be incompetent if he didn’t have a talk to him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Mellor wrote: »
    Khabib has “retired”. But also stayed in the testing pool and hasn’t relinquished the belt. He’s played into the situation imo.
    Dana would be incompetent if he didn’t have a talk to him now.

I agree with this.

And Khabib retired because his Mother asked him to. It's very rare for anyone to retire when 'they' are not the ones truely making the decision. 'Fathers dream' was for Khabib to retire at 30-0. He's currently 29-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I’m sure khabib can make up his own mind , Dana the cad offering him millions to do what he does best . I wouldn’t worry about him too much !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's obvious khabib is going back for more, otherwise this would already have been announced as a title fight. Mcgregor comes through Poirier he gets the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I think Dana's latest announcement had me more convinced that Khabib is retiring. Although, I would much rather see Khabib fight McGregor than a 40 year inactive GSP. McGregor would put up a much better fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I think Dana's latest announcement had me more convinced that Khabib is retiring. Although, I would much rather see Khabib fight McGregor than a 40 year inactive GSP. McGregor would put up a much better fight.

GSP definitely has a better chance to beat khabib as GSP is too serious to go in unprepared. Khabibs success is all about being able to control his opponents. Most of his recent fights are against ex 145lbers or people not exactly well known for their ability to survive on the ground. Khabib trying to take down and control GSP would be like against Tibau only GSP will obviously do better.

Advertisement