Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wonder if it's related to Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Seen Conor on two interviews in recent days, John McCarthy and Ariel. Been impressed by him on both. Seems in a good space mentally and looks to have matured a little.

I still think he's bordering on delusional around the Khabib stuff though. If he puts on a show Sunday and Khabib does come back, I think a healthy dose of reality would put him in a much better headspace to win the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭The Rooster

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    The Sky Boxoffice site indicates that the card can be bought (with or without a Sky subscription) and streamed on a laptop/ mobile device:
    https://www.bt.com/sport/ufc/features/ufc-257-poirier-mcgregor-live-stream-bt-sport-box-office-how-to-order-watch

and

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/box-office/streaming-box-office-events-on-other-devices

But I'm getting this error:

BT Sport Box Office is not available in your region.
    Dublin, L, IRELAND

Any solutions to this?
    Your first link is for UK. There is a link on that page (towards the bottom)which has a link for ROI. That brings you to a Sky page which says this is the only way to order the event in ROI.

Your second link seems to be for Sky Box Office. This is not a Sky Box Office event, it’s BT box office.

No doubt a complete pain for those who don’t have a Sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For free cards this works, but not PPV. It appears that if you buy a TV card licence you can only watch on TV.

The Sky website reads that you can buy a streaming licence (with or without a Sky sub), but I keep getting an error message

Ah well, thanks for clarifying! I'm in a COVID bubble with my best friend who lives by herself and she ditched her telly and set-top box late last year in favour of a projector and a Netflix subscription, so was hoping to find a way we could watch it with just a laptop! Very strange that they'd have a decent streaming setup for just this type of scenario and yet specifically block it for Ireland - I doubt it's Brexit related as surely that would affect other Sky or BT services too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Assuming you have it through Sky, can you then sign in to stream it on a laptop or does it have to be through the telly? My family has Sky so theoretically could get someone to buy it on their Sky subscription and borrow a login to watch it on the website?

I think that’s right. If family buy it, and you have family’s Sky Go log-in, I think that works. There’s a limit to the amount of new devices that can have the log-in, something like you can only make one change per month.

Not 100% sure on the above as I’ve never tried it for a Ppv event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

IIRC it was the same for Khabib fight few months ago. So don’t think it’s Brexit related. Very annoying alright.

How did that Dutch thing go over the weekend with VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Dave0301

The Sky Boxoffice site indicates that the card can be bought (with or without a Sky subscription) and streamed on a laptop/ mobile device:
    https://www.bt.com/sport/ufc/features/ufc-257-poirier-mcgregor-live-stream-bt-sport-box-office-how-to-order-watch

and

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/box-office/streaming-box-office-events-on-other-devices

But I'm getting this error:

BT Sport Box Office is not available in your region.
    Dublin, L, IRELAND

Any solutions to this?

Try this link: https://www.sky.com/boxoffice/btsport

As others have said, I think you need to order it through Sky in Ireland. Streaming on a device is only available in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I think that’s right. If family buy it, and you have family’s Sky Go log-in, I think that works. There’s a limit to the amount of new devices that can have the log-in, something like you can only make one change per month.

Not 100% sure on the above as I’ve never tried it for a Ppv event

Hadn't even thought of Sky Go! My dad's the only person in my family who uses it and he'll definitely be asleep so I could ask him to temporarily log out of it on his iPad just for that night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Try this link: https://www.sky.com/boxoffice/btsport

As others have said, I think you need to order it through Sky in Ireland. Streaming on a device is only available in the UK.

Thanks.

Yes, it appears that you can buy it and watch it on TV, but not stream.

Hopefully I'm wrong??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Thanks.

Yes, it appears that you can buy it and watch it on TV, but not stream.

Hopefully I'm wrong??!

Seems to be showing up on now tv under future events, you might be able to stream it there if thats an option

• Advertisement

Remember when you could just buy the ppv through the UFC app?

Hadn't even thought of Sky Go! My dad's the only person in my family who uses it and he'll definitely be asleep so I could ask him to temporarily log out of it on his iPad just for that night :D

I can't see any option to watch BT Box Office in the Sky Go app.

Again, hope I'm mistaken?

Seems to be showing up on now tv under future events, you might be able to stream it there if thats an option

I PM'ed Now TV on FB yesterday to ask and was told it's not possible to view it there :( Maybe I should follow up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The Nal wrote: »
    Seems like hes settled on 155 for the foreseeable.
    He'd probably have more success at 155 now that Khabbib is gone.
    I dont think he would be as high in the rankings at 170 so makes sense to stick at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Will virgin be showing a repeat of UFC 257 during the week seeing as Mcgregor is fighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Suddenly all of my mates are after my Sky Go log in...

Pretty ridiculous that it can only be had through Sky and we also have the BT 'ROI Tax', its €22.45 (£20) in the UK and €30 here. Load of **** and its hard not to feel ripped off when I stay up for nearly every other event or fight night

• Registered Users Posts: 39,327 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The whole fighting 155er's at 170 meant he was adding size over time and still getting to fight and be active but not having to cut which would have be going against what he was trying to achieve

He has also giving himself a chance to get the gas tank up to par wit the extra muscle he is carrying,

He is clearly a bigger more powerful guy than the man who fought Khabib
    He fought once at 170 since his 155 outing vrs Khabib. Even if that fight was at 155, he’d have cut down over fight week. So wouldn’t have impacted any muscle he’s been adding over the last 18 months. (As he wouldn’t have been bulking fight week vrs cowboy in either case).

I agree he looks bigger now. I just don’t think the Cowboy fight was facilitating it.
    I think being a big for the division is a requirement these days to stay at the top.
    Max, Volk, Khabib, Usman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I PM'ed Now TV on FB yesterday to ask and was told it's not possible to view it there :( Maybe I should follow up again

ah my bad, it has the word preview after it even though it's on at the same time as the fight, it's not the actual fight.
    ah feck I may figure out how to watch it now too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Do people genuinely want conor to win this?

I was on the mcgregor train for a long while but have not been on board with all the drug crap, oap bashing, riding around etc. I think he's just a scumbag with money.

What I would like to see is a fight that goes the distance with a win for Dustin and conor to actually retire.

Dustin deserves it. Conor doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

khaldrogo wrote: »

I was on the mcgregor train for a long while but have not been on board with all the drug crap, oap bashing, riding around etc. I think he's just a scumbag with money.

What I would like to see is a fight that goes the distance with a win for Dustin and conor to actually retire.

This fight is a win win for me.
    Dustin is a great fighter, much improved since they last met, and seems like an all round nice dude.
    Conor as a fighter is still a spectacle to watch when he's focused, leaving all the outside stuff out of it.

From a purely fight perspective, either winning is a win for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't care for Conor am not a " fan" but I think his skill set means he stops Dustin and does it early,

I don't care who wins but I do like to watch fighters produce the very best they are capable off for us the viewing public , I think 9 times out of 10 Conor stops Dustin ,

Iv never seen Dustin not get hit hard and multiple times in a fight, that is a nightmare if your fighting Conor

I also finds it amusing that people care about what the fighters do outside of a the ring or cage,
    Imagine expecting lads who fight for a living to be normal in the head ,

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Yes, I do. The sport is never as exciting as when Conor is fighting, like him or not.

For me, I find when you separate the athlete from the person it makes it a lot more enjoyable. Not just MMA, in any sport. Most elite athletes are super rich and many are idiots, that's fine in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I want McGregor to win. I try to ignore the bullshít that goes on with him - and there was a 2 year period there when it was very hard to ignore.

I just want to go back to simpler times when we had a phenom who was a joy to watch and was taking the UFC by storm, when even pre-fight press conferences were a joy to watch. Those were great days.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

100% want Conor to win. I love the guy. Such a character.

I'm not here to convince you to change your mind and personally, I don't need a sports star to also be my moral compass, but the guy has also donated a load of money for covid equipment, saved the SBG gym in Portalington, huge updates to Crumlin FC and probably a few other things we haven't heard about.
    Hope he wins and tears through the division or rematches Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ah come on!

He hasn't been caught bashing an aul lad or allegedly feeling someone up in weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not really.

We should hopefully see in the fight who deserves to win. You don't deserve to win a fight by being a nicer person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

WTF?

How can you possibly say one man deserves to win a fight and the other one doesn't, almost a week before the fight?

Bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'd like to see Conor win and get back to where he was, an incredible and exciting fighter to watch that was at the top of his game.

That's not "I love Conor and endorse everything he does" despite what some people seem to think.

Equally I would be fine if Dustin won, just hope it's a competitive fight either way that doesn't end in the first 60 seconds.

If Conor loses I'm not looking forward to the inevitable "He's a nobody now/he's past it/he has to retire" nonsense talk as if Dustin Porier is some backyard bum and not the #1 contender in the LW division who's won 7 out of his last 8 fights.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Ah come on!

He hasn't been caught bashing an aul lad or allegedly feeling someone up in weeks!

It must be his new year resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Homer

Suddenly all of my mates are after my Sky Go log in...

Pretty ridiculous that it can only be had through Sky and we also have the BT 'ROI Tax', its €22.45 (£20) in the UK and €30 here. Load of **** and its hard not to feel ripped off when I stay up for nearly every other event or fight night

You would want your head examined to be paying Sky rip off rates or any of the others for that matter.

Advertisement