Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Homelander wrote: »
    I'd like to see Conor win and get back to where he was, an incredible and exciting fighter to watch that was at the top of his game.

That's not "I love Conor and endorse everything he does" despite what some people seem to think.

Equally I would be fine if Dustin won, just hope it's a competitive fight either way that doesn't end in the first 60 seconds.

If Conor loses I'm not looking forward to the inevitable "He's a nobody now/he's past it/he has to retire" nonsense talk as if Dustin Porier is some backyard bum and not the #1 contender in the LW division who's won 7 out of his last 8 fights.

If McGregor wins, you'll still get people acting as if Poirier is a nobody. Happens with every one McGregor beats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »
    He fought once at 170 since his 155 outing vrs Khabib. Even if that fight was at 155, he’d have cut down over fight week. So wouldn’t have impacted any muscle he’s been adding over the last 18 months. (As he wouldn’t have been bulking fight week vrs cowboy in either case).

I agree he looks bigger now. I just don’t think the Cowboy fight was facilitating it.
    I think being a big for the division is a requirement these days to stay at the top.
    Max, Volk, Khabib, Usman

Not just the Cowboy fight, his idea at the time was to have number of fights at 170lbs and had said he wouldn't cut to 155 unless it was for the title

He was 100% trying to keep adding muscle and power ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I watched the Fast Advert... I mean the UFC 257 Countdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I just wish Conor wasn't such a Jekyll & Hyde character.

He's a world class athlete who has shown unparalleled dedication to get to the top of the game. He has far far surpassed anything he or anyone thought was possible. Before him, there was no such thing as a true crossover star from the MMA world. Sure, lads were trying their hands at acting and reality TV and whatever, but Conor McGregor was the first true global superstar MMA ever produced.

When he speaks on it, he's fantastic to listen to. He's very wise about the sport, about psychology and the world of sport in general.

He's done some amazingly generous things. Only a few weeks ago he saved SBG Portarlington overnight when he heard they were going to have to close the doors. I've heard of countless other things he's done in this vein and has asked for them to be kept quiet.

However............

The other side of his personality still exists. He can be a scumbag! He attacks old lads on barstools. He throws his weight around publically. He has been accused of some things around women, some very serious things and many many quite serious things. He has allegedly had drug problems and has some shady mates.

I really wish I could fully support Conor 100%. I wish he was the first guy all the time. It's such a shame that he has such a horrible side to his personality. He's someone we should be holding up with pride as Irish people.

Having said all that, i'll be pulling for him this Saturday night. The second guy won't be getting into the cage, it'll be the sportsman and one of the best sportspeople we have ever produced in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I think the above post pretty much sums it up for me. All the negative aspects seem to stem from when he's drinking/whatever else it is does. But if half the stuff is true I can't support him. It's a shame really because he's a phenomenal fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Homer wrote: »
    You would want your head examined to be paying Sky rip off rates or any of the others for that matter.

Suits the needs here in the house. We bring the viewing card to the holiday home which has no broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,836 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    WTF?

How can you possibly say one man deserves to win a fight and the other one doesn't, almost a week before the fight?

Bizarre!

It pretty easy to understand tbh. Really didn't think it would be something I had to explain!!!

IMO Dustin deserves the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

khaldrogo wrote: »
    It pretty easy to understand tbh. Really didn't think it would be something I had to explain!!!

IMO Dustin deserves the win.

Did you just explain by not explaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The top end of that LW division is as good as it gets, absolute savages. Conor comes through Dustin that's an excellent win and rightly is in the title picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rob316 wrote: »
    The top end of that LW division is as good as it gets, absolute savages. Conor comes through Dustin that's an excellent win and rightly is in the title picture.

If Conor wins: Dustin was journeyman bouncing around divisions
    In Dustin wins: Conor was found out, should have stayed at FW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Homelander wrote: »
    If Conor loses I'm not looking forward to the inevitable "He's a nobody now/he's past it/he has to retire" nonsense talk as if Dustin Porier is some backyard bum and not the #1 contender in the LW division who's won 7 out of his last 8 fights.

If Conor loses it wouldn't shock me if he retired. Where does he go from that loss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Homer wrote: »
    You would want your head examined to be paying Sky rip off rates or any of the others for that matter.

If no one paid for it there would be no event what so ever for you to illegally stream ya mooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

derfderf wrote: »
    If Conor loses it wouldn't shock me if he retired. Where does he go from that loss?

Nate 3
    Tony Ferguson
    Al Iaquinta

Manny fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Homer

If no one paid for it there would be no event what so ever for you to illegally stream ya mooch.

There will always be enough like your goodself to happily cough up, don't you worry.. I certainly don't.

rob316 wrote: »

I think its actually the opposite it think its quite weak but has a load of guys at the same level if that makes sense ,

Look at Khabibs record the big names are not what you'd call elite fighters,

Welter weight is a much tougher division .

Dustin and Justin for example both though as nails and very game but there skill sets are not anywhere near elite in any aspect

Don't get me wrong there are Good fighters of course but no real elite level lads,

Conor's elite striking should be enough to win him the title again ,

I think its actually the opposite it think its quite weak but has a load of guys at the same level if that makes sense ,

Dustin and Justin for example both though as nails and very game but there skill sets are not anywhere near elite in any aspect

Don't get me wrong there are Good fighters of course but no real elite level lads,

100% agree and also not saying they're bad or anything but tony should never have lost to Justin, so I think his striking is not what it used to be but his gas tank is still there, he also may have taken too much onto and out of his body between injuries, quick & forced recoveries and his never ending punishment's to get a title. He really is the champ that never was. Oliviera has been floating around that point for ages, Justin and RDA are dynamic sluggers but I woul see them getting picked off by a strong mcgregor, providing it doesn't go past 3 rounds which it shouldnt being as sharp as he is. He made a god point in the promo, you have two choices, come forward and fall like aldo, eddie, diaz (many times in one round) etc, or go on the backfoot and prolong the inevitable..he was in bits fighting Khabib, but even then he got sent flying accross the octagon with a haymaker and still made it to 4 rounds under an energy sapping khabib, that tells you something annoying as mcgregor can be at times, it really wasnt the best Conor..

That light weight division reminds me of the feather weight one at the time of Also's reign, the same fighters, ricardo lamas, chad mendes, frankie edgar, faber and swanson, all good fighters but nothing new to offer Aldo UNTIL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Only if Khabib is really retired.

Only if Khabib is really retired.

correct

I'm not a big Conor fan but i think its clear as day he was miles off where he should have been physically and mentally for the Khabib fight,

I don't know if it would mean he wins the rematch but is till think out of all the light weights he has the best chance of beating Khabib even if its a slim one ,

Basically id like to see the rematch not many other BIG lightweight fights out there,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Charles Oliveira probably most interesting opponent at 155 for me, besides Khabib. Any striker that keeps it on the feet, McGregor will be favourite against.

After watching Oliveira vs Ferguson, I would like to see him against McGregor. See can he get him down and submit him.

I find it mental that there is not one high level American wrestler near the top of the division ,
    Its the most interesting type of match up for Khabib, , Also the reason I will never call Khabib the GOAT,

He would never try his hand at the weight class above because there are so many top wrestlers,

I find it mental that there is not one high level American wrestler near the top of the division ,
    Its the most interesting type of match up for Khabib, , Also the reason I will never call Khabib the GOAT,

He would never try his hand at the weight class above because there are so many top wrestlers,

At one time the wrestlers dominated UFC and a lot of MMA, from Couture to ortiz, matt hughes to mendes, and that's the tip of the iceberg. It kind of wanes and you get all stand up bouts now which for casual observers are easy to sell, and as far as jujitsu goes, Damian maia brilliant as he is, is shocking to see on pay per view. mcgreogr does sell fights based on that mike tyson style, he comes in and tries to knock you out. I think all round,the greatest that ever lived, was anderson silva. he just made it look stupid easy and his wins were real martial arts, front kicks, punches, knee finishes, triangles..he was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

1st ep of Embedded just been uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Charles Oliveira probably most interesting opponent at 155 for me, besides Khabib. Any striker that keeps it on the feet, McGregor will be favourite against.

After watching Oliveira vs Ferguson, I would like to see him against McGregor. See can he get him down and submit him.
    Conor has fairly solid TDD defence, getting taken down by Khabib or Chad Mendes doesn't mean you're ****, they take/took everyone down.

I don't see Olivera being able to do it, and if he does, he won't keep him down.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    1st ep of Embedded just been uploaded.

the Arabs really look after him, he even has his own Mayweather style "the champs is here" town cryer :D:D:D, every little details, fair play to them, he seems in a good place too, good on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Conor has fairly solid TDD defence, getting taken down by Khabib or Chad Mendes doesn't mean you're ****, they take/took everyone down.

I don't see Olivera being able to do it, and if he does, he won't keep him down.

Oh I agree with the bold part. He got out of a guillotine against Mendes & stopped Khabib doing much in Rd1 as well.

If he had useless TDD then I wouldn’t be as interested in seeing the fight.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Oh I agree with the bold part. He got out of a guillotine against Mendes & stopped Khabib doing much in Rd1 as well.

If he had useless TDD then I wouldn’t be as interested in seeing the fight.

exactly, sure eddie alvarez is no slouch at imposing his game regards takedown and he didn't have a hope. Also the more you cannot take him down the more desperate you get and the more you play his game like he told Eddie, "you'll be shooting for your life" and when it happened, Eddie went blank.

anyone that stood up with mcgregor at 145, were dropped bar holloway who looked out of his depth. When mendes took him down and into another round of the same, that simply showed how far from a 145 weight cut he was. He's a 155'er for sure and you can see it in how his energy levels are. Plus with repetition every time you block a takedown, you get better at seeing them coming. id hate to see him win and start banging on about boxing again, it's embarrasing really.

rusty cole wrote: »
    At one time the wrestlers dominated UFC and a lot of MMA, from Couture to ortiz, matt hughes to mendes, and that's the tip of the iceberg. It kind of wanes and you get all stand up bouts now which for casual observers are easy to sell, and as far as jujitsu goes, Damian maia brilliant as he is, is shocking to see on pay per view. mcgreogr does sell fights based on that mike tyson style, he comes in and tries to knock you out. I think all round,the greatest that ever lived, was anderson silva. he just made it look stupid easy and his wins were real martial arts, front kicks, punches, knee finishes, triangles..he was brilliant.

Wrestler's or Grapplers still dominate for the most part (Izzy aside)

Just there are no American style wrestlers in the lightweight division

• Advertisement

very true in fact I think most agree wresting is the corner stone for a successful career in MMA, it certainly worked well for Cormier and cain velasquez who though caught early, managed to destroy a striking machine in junior dos Santos
    in the following 2nd and 3rd fight.

I read Tito ortiz book years ago and when he made his debut and for the early fights thereafter, he couldn't throw a punch he said, it was wresting take down 101 and just pound whatever you could.

Advertisement