Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

I think its actually the opposite it think its quite weak but has a load of guys at the same level if that makes sense ,

Look at Khabibs record the big names are not what you'd call elite fighters,

Welter weight is a much tougher division .

Dustin and Justin for example both though as nails and very game but there skill sets are not anywhere near elite in any aspect

Don't get me wrong there are Good fighters of course but no real elite level lads,

Conor's elite striking should be enough to win him the title again ,

Conor and Khabib are miles ahead of the rest of that division and I honestly don't see anyone in the division troubling either of them. Only person who can beat Conor is Khabib and vice versa imo.

The rest are very very good fighters, take Conor and Khabib away and its the most competitive division in the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

xtal191 wrote: »
    Conor and Khabib are miles ahead of the rest of that division and I honestly don't see anyone in the division troubling either of them. Only person who can beat Conor is Khabib and vice versa imo.

The rest are very very good fighters, take Conor and Khabib away and its the most competitive division in the UFC

Correction:

Khabib is miles ahead of the rest of that division. And nobody will trouble him.

Conor might be second, but their fight showed you that it's not close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

xtal191 wrote: »
    Only person who can beat Conor is Khabib and vice versa imo.

Vice versa me bollox. Mcgregor never beats Khabib, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Wailin wrote: »

You could be right but id love to see the rematch
    I really do think Conor was in awful condition physically for that fight,

As you say maybe it makes no difference but id like to see that,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭xtal191

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Correction:

Khabib is miles ahead of the rest of that division. And nobody will trouble him.

I do think Khabib is better but the gap between him and Conor is a lot smaller than the gap between them and the rest of the division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,786 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

surely there would have to be huge question marks over McGregor. they may indeed be answered at the weekend, but I'd be very slow to say McGregor is above anyone at the moment never mind streets ahead. Not faught in ages, what is his conditioning etc going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wailin wrote: »

Dunno. Go back and look at the fight in full. Very competitive R1 and R3. McGregor even stuffed a few takedowns. The problem is Khabib once he gets you down.....

I'd love to see a rematch with McGregor fully focused like now and not in some lost weekend jumping into Bellator cages on the swizz and punching old men mode.

surely there would have to be huge question marks over McGregor. they may indeed be answered at the weekend, but I'd be very slow to say McGregor is above anyone at the moment never mind streets ahead. Not faught in ages, what is his conditioning etc going to be.

There is question marks over ever person or team going into any sporting event but if everything is in place that should be then Conor has the skillset to take Dustin out early and in style,

There is a reason he is favourite ,

Look what he done to Dustin , Dustin has certainly improved but he still get hit hard in every fight which is a huge problem if your fighting Conor

I know MMA math does not work but look at Dustin v Eddie then Conor v Eddie you can see Conor is at a different level to Dustin ,

But as you say thing do not always work out as they "should"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I see Chimaev has gotten over his cough enough to be calling McGregor a chicken on twitter.

He's actually a bit of a flute, the fact he claims to have travelled here looking for McGregor to 'smesh' him. Jaysis christ like

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Irish special forces stopped him in the airport so he said.

Pinnochio

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Irish special forces stopped him

Probably took him out with a sneaky fine for being more than 5km form his gaff!

ASOT wrote: »
    Irish special forces stopped him in the airport so he said.

Pinnochio

He was a paid sparring partner for a McGregor camp and wasn't allowed in due to his Visa being incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I could be wrong, but there first fight is a distant memory as any barometer here...and Dustin seemed to cave very easily in fight 1....caught in an awkward place, maybe...the shots that did him in seemed to glance....

Both similar sized.....Conor is NOT the same fighter he was a few years ago. He is slower, not as sharp....older, and likely has not lived a real clean athlete's life these past few years.

Dustin seems a stronger and more mature and robust fighter compared to years ago.

Interesting match, where a Dustin win should no way be a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Dustin can drag him into the later rounds McGregor will be in trouble. He looks big lately and will be carrying a lot of muscle after that weight cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

He was a paid sparring partner for a McGregor camp and wasn't allowed in due to his Visa being incorrect

I know that, but he said he was stopped entering the country by Irish special forces.

Hence why I called him Pinnochio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

walshb wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but there first fight is a distant memory as any barometer here...and Dustin seemed to cave very easily in fight 1....caught in an awkward place, maybe...the shots that did him in seemed to glance....

Both similar sized.....Conor is NOT the same fighter he was a few years ago. He is slower, not as sharp....older, and likely has not lived a real clean athlete's life these past few years.

Dustin seems a stronger and more mature and robust fighter compared to years ago.

Interesting match, where a Dustin win should no way be a shock

They were not glancing shots. The shot that dropped him didn't land clean due to Dustin ducking but still caught him in the side of the head with enough force to put him down and the follow ups had plenty behind them.

Dustin is 100% a different (better) fighter since their first fight, but so is Conor.
    Dustin still has a brawler type of style in him and will get hit a lot.

The question will be how many counters will he be able to take. Will he be able to take the shots until Conor starts tiring in the later rounds.

From any recent photos, Conor looks like he'd weigh the same as Poirier now, in or around. He's looking a lot bigger.
    He used to walk around at about 170, I'd say he's close to 180 now, if not a little over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Is that a 5 star hotel he is staying in? Surprised the hotel didnt have a stricter dress code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Tazzimus wrote: »
    From any recent photos, Conor looks like he'd weigh the same as Poirier now, in or around. He's looking a lot bigger.
    He used to walk around at about 170, I'd say he's close to 180 now, if not a little over.

Interview with Dan Hooker on Mac Life YouTube.
    He says for their fight, Poirier was 183lbs.
    If true, he put back on 28lbs after the weigh ins!

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Is that a 5 star hotel he is staying in? Surprised the hotel didnt have a stricter dress code.

I'm surprised by your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Interview with Dan Hooker on Mac Life YouTube.
    He says for their fight, Poirier was 183lbs.
    If true, he put back on 28lbs after the weigh ins!
    I'd say the average they gain back would be around 15-20lbs, some may be higher, so that's not a total surprise if it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Correction:

McGregor beats anyone Khabib beat in his 29/0 with relative ease.......tho I suspect Khabib beats him in any rematch, but there were extenuating circumstances for the first fight if you take in reports impartially .......a fully focused and fired up McGregor would make it very intriguing

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted

This thread is for MMA talk.

Any other headlines can be discussed elsewhere. There is a thread in Current Affairs discussing today's news about him being sued

If posting there do not make any unproven allegations

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yas hotel not fancy enough for him. He's after renting and docking a 100m yacht outside the arena. Brilliant.

As Bobby Axelrod said "what's the point of having fcuk you money if you never say fcuk you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know if McGregor can beat Khabib but it was quite clear he wasn't in great shape when he fought Khabib.
    I'd like to see a fully healthy McGregor in the ring against Khabib.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't know if McGregor can beat Khabib but it was quite clear he wasn't in great shape when he fought Khabib.
    I'd like to see a fully healthy McGregor in the ring against Khabib.

Sure he was horsing down whiskey and visibly drunk at the press conference the week before the fight.

All the talk of Dustin being better is possibly true im some aspects but he still gets hit hard and as often if not more than he ever did,

Its literally the worst style to have fighting Conor

Also Dustin said im not going to engage early, so hes going to change what got him to the dance when he arrives at the dance, MMA seems to be cursed with this time and time again, Justin just done it againt Khabib, Eddie when he fought Conor y ou cant just change what youve been doing all along and expect it to work first time out

All the talk of Dustin being better is possibly true im some aspects but he still gets hit hard and as often if not more than he ever did,

Its literally the worst style to have fighting Conor

Also Dustin said im not going to engage early, so hes going to change what got him to the dance when he arrives at the dance, MMA seems to be cursed with this time and time again, Justin just done it againt Khabib, Eddie when he fought Conor y ou cant just change what youve been doing all along and expect it to work first time out

100% and that's why Eddie panicked and then reverted to type, for what?? he spends months changing form and when it fell short in the opening seconds, he was left a man alone looking to his corner from ahis arse and mark henry had fook all for him that he could translate in 1 minute on the stool. you cannot adapt on the night.

I just watched Poirier vs Justin and he even slipped and fell forward throwing double hooks from the waist. he even said the best version of him will turn up "whatever that is" I tell ya he has lost in his mind already. I think what will happen is he will get caught, then Justin wont want to go down in under the 2 minutes as last time. he'll stay back throwing 1's and 1/2's and then he'll go swinging for the fences and unless he lands a hard one, it's lights out and the pressure will make it all happen in the 1st round.

Your know what was funny though in the countdown, when Dustin says " i know what it feels like because Khabib did that to me"..it sounds like a Khabib victims group where all losers including McGregor get together and sit in a circle talking about how dirty they feel having been molested by the champ..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Correction:

You are watching far too long to think anyone is unbeatable.
    People though Ronda ws unbeatable at one point. :rolleyes:

Mellor wrote: »

If you were replying to me, I never said Khabib was unbeatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Mellor wrote: »

Reminds me of Matt Hughes back in the day. He was so dominant, looked unbeatable, until he wasn't. Then all you could see was how limited his style was. I think Khabib is better overall, but still quite limited in his skill set. He's simply never faced someone who can deal with his wrestling. That's fair enough, if no one can, why should he care, but he's always looked to me like someone who would be in a bad way if he met someone who could force him to do more than grapple on the deck.

Advertisement