Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

It’s a shame Conor and his team didn’t try the flying knee kick on khabib as he rushed in for the takedowns. He might have got another immediate ko. Tho Khabib is probably too intelligent a fighter to get caught out like the other fella last night.

He did throw a flying knee on one of Khabibs shots if I remember correctly, but had no joy.

It's a very low percentage technique, but when it lands like Masvidal one last night it's bloody spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It’s a shame Conor and his team didn’t try the flying knee kick on khabib as he rushed in for the takedowns. He might have got another immediate ko. Tho Khabib is probably too intelligent a fighter to get caught out like the other fella last night.

He did, Khabib faked the head movement and the knee got his shoulder instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    He did throw a flying knee on one of Khabibs shots if I remember correctly, but had no joy.

It's a very low percentage technique, but when it lands like Masvidal one last night it's bloody spectacular.

Wasn't a flying knee, it was just a knee. He didn't jump into it like Masvidal. Conor was definitely practicing knees alot for that fight, don't understand why he didn't learn how to throw a devastating one, his technique was weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

spix wrote: »
    Wasn't a flying knee, it was just a knee. He didn't jump into it like Masvidal. Conor was definitely practicing knees alot for that fight, don't understand why he didn't learn how to throw a devastating one, his technique was weak.

Yep it's that easy. just knee Khabib. Pity the other 27 fighters didn't get tips off you before be they fought him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Yep it's that easy. just knee Khabib. Pity the other 27 fighters didn't get tips off you before be they fought him.

It was Khabib that did the flying knee, immediately after he rocked Conor with the overhand right bomb. Luckily he didn’t connect properly with the knee and Conor got out of the way and came back strong before getting taken down and pounded for the rest of that 2nd round.
    I think it’s fair enough to say that Conor preparations and tactics for this fight were all wrong. He has more or less even admitted that himself. It was complete opposite to Aldo fight where he seemed to have opening tactic. He should have had an opening tactic to let khabib rush in and then explode with the flying knee.

• Advertisement

It was Khabib that did the flying knee, immediately after he rocked Conor with the overhand right bomb. Luckily he didn’t connect properly with the knee and Conor got out of the way and came back strong before getting taken down and pounded for the rest of that 2nd round.
    I think it’s fair enough to say that Conor preparations and tactics for this fight were all wrong. He has more or less even admitted that himself. It was complete opposite to Aldo fight where he seemed to have opening tactic. He should have had an opening tactic to let khabib rush in and then explode with the flying knee.

Have you any idea how hard it is to land that on someone, never mind knocking them out with it?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Have you any idea how hard it is to land that on someone, never mind knocking them out with it?

Yep I know, but it had been done before ufc 229. There is a time and place to enact a shock move like this and the very start of the khabib fight was the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So many people have tried that flying knee against wrestlers hoping for a Jorge KO but the vast majority miss and get insta taken down and mauled. Awesome when they pull it off but I'd be screaming at them not to do it, not worth the risk imo.

Yep I know, but it had been done before ufc 229. There is a time and place to enact a shock move like this and the very start of the khabib fight was the time.

I'll just refer to zero cools reply rather than retype what he did. It's very high risk to attempt, which is why everyone doesn't spam it on wrestlers when they shoot

Maybe Poirier will try it. Jorge will give him a few tips in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Khabib is not like Askren. While not great Khabib can hold his own on his feet. He usually throws a few punches and waits patiently for the take down. Where as Ben must bent over immediately looking for it.

The first mcgregor takedown he was actually caught with a decent knee and looked a little stunned. Watch it back. I felt conor should have immediately sprawled instead of holding onto him and allowing Khabib time to regain his composure.

MSG Nov 2nd just announced ufc244. Hopefully Ferguson vs McGregor headline for the interim LW belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

MSG Nov 2nd just announced ufc244. Hopefully Ferguson vs McGregor headline for the interim LW belt.

What interim belt?

That's an insult to Ferguson. He's next in line for the title after Dustin makes his attempt at it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think it’s fair enough to say that Conor preparations and tactics for this fight were all wrong.
    What do you think was wrong about them?
    What did he do that he shouldn't have? What didn't he do? Etc
    He has more or less even admitted that himself. It was complete opposite to Aldo fight where he seemed to have opening tactic. He should have had an opening tactic to let khabib rush in and then explode with the flying knee.
    It's natural to focus on what you could have done differently. That doesn't mean it would have changed the outcome.

How do you know he didn't have a tactic? But Khabib just didn't rush in. He backed off for the first 15 seconds or so.

Hmmm I'm not giving out tips, Conor was already clearing planning to knee khabib from his training videos and landed a few, but his technique was bad. Not saying if his technique was better he would've knocked out khabib with one but would've had a better chance of. And whilst you're bringing khabibs undefeated record up, I guess you missed Askrens undefeated one as well.

Khabibs knee attempt was a good one, it definitely landed a bit but difference is conor was moving away from it whilst askren moved straight into it. Conor then spun around and then done his own knee but for some reason when he does a 'flying knee' Conor doesn't jump, then knee. He just knees. He's always thrown them like that, start of mendes fight, diaz 2 come to mind. Very hard to get power behind that kind of knee.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So many people have tried that flying knee against wrestlers hoping for a Jorge KO but the vast majority miss and get insta taken down and mauled. Awesome when they pull it off but I'd be screaming at them not to do it, not worth the risk imo.

How is it not worth the risk? There are several flying knee knockouts just like masvidal vs askren, its actually very common. Worst case scenario is you get takendown but you can get taken down off any attack so may as well take the risk with something proven to be effective. I'm sure alot of maulings by wrestlers are due to people being too gun shy hoping to avoid getting taken down, but doing that gives the wrestler confidence to just go straight for you. If you attempt a well timed knee, you can land it and get a ko, land it without a ko but in turn make them think twice about shooting again, miss and not get taken down, and miss and get taken down. Pretty good gamble if you ask me.

Mellor wrote: »
    What do you think was wrong about them?
    What did he do that he shouldn't have? What didn't he do? Etc

It's natural to focus on what you could have done differently. That doesn't mean it would have changed the outcome.

How do you know he didn't have a tactic? But Khabib just didn't rush in. He backed off for the first 15 seconds or so.

All of Khabib’s takedowns, think there was 3 in total rd 1, 2 and 4, were result of the 2 fighters grappling in the clench and he overpowered Mcgregor or tripped him. None of them were from Khabib running towards him. And once down he never looked like getting out till the bell would ring.
    Conor walked down Khabib at the start of the fight and was eager to clench, big mistake. He should have kept the fight at arms distance, and as difficult and all as it would have been to pull off, tried the flying knee when Khabib would eventually rush in low.
    Conor’s superior boxing skills should have won that fight had he got his tactics right. But he admitted his training was too focused on grappling and defending the takedown, physically he didn’t look as good as he did before Mayweather. He didn’t spend as long in Vegas beforehand as he normally did. The whiskey promotion were a distraction, not to mention the drinking in run up.
    I firmly believe he can beat Khabib in the rematch if he trains as hard as he did for Mayweather and has his head right.

spix wrote: »
    Conor then spun around and then done his own knee but for some reason when he does a 'flying knee' Conor doesn't jump, then knee. He just knees. He's always thrown them like that, start of mendes fight, diaz 2 come to mind. Very hard to get power behind that kind of knee.
    I'm not sure exactly what knee you are talking about. But it sounds like you are complaining he throws knees without jumping into them? Is that right. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Knee and flying knees are two different attacks. Saying you can't get power into a knee without jumping is wrong imo.

• Advertisement

All of Khabib’s takedowns, think there was 3 in total rd 1, 2 and 4, were result of the 2 fighters grappling in the clench and he overpowered Mcgregor or tripped him. None of them were from Khabib running towards him. And once down he never looked like getting out till the bell would ring.
    Conor walked down Khabib at the start of the fight and was eager to clench, big mistake. He should have kept the fight at arms distance, and as difficult and all as it would have been to pull off, tried the flying knee when Khabib would eventually rush in low.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think that's accurate breakdown though.

Conor pressed forward. But he wasn't trying to clinch. I don’t remember much initial clinching from either tbh.

Khabib's first takedown was from a low single, not the clinch, I remember that one clearly.
    In round 2, he shot a double against the cage, and switched to a high crotch. The last takedown, was similar to the second, I think.
    I think what you are calling clinching is Khabib shooting, Conor defending the initial takedown and then the two spending some tied up before Khabib completing or Conor escaping.

I’m not sure when he could have thrown a flying knee tbh. None of Khabib’s takedowns were bull-rushed from range. Except from the low single, and Conor actually threw and connected a standing knee against that one. I think the knee hindered his sprawl tbh. And he would have disengaged without the knee.
    Conor’s superior boxing skills should have won that fight had he got his tactics right. But he admitted his training was too focused on grappling and defending the takedown, physically he didn’t look as good as he did before Mayweather. He didn’t spend as long in Vegas beforehand as he normally did. The whiskey promotion were a distraction, not to mention the drinking in run up.
    I’ve no idea how much if was drinking in the run up. But if he was that obvious wouldn’t have helped.

All of the trouble he got into during the fight came from takedowns. How does focusing on grappling less result in him defending the takedowns better. I think people are forgetting how much takedown defence he actually did, that’s because he focused on it in training imo. Most of the masses don’t have a clue what they are looking at so just remember he tap and think he can’t grapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mellor wrote: »

He really should retire. No need for him to be fighting. Not the same level of hunger and desire obviously. Maybe Nate 3 and then pack it in.

The Nal wrote: »
    He really should retire. No need for him to be fighting. Not the same level of hunger and desire obviously. Maybe Nate 3 and then pack it in.
    Maybe he's lost the fire. Or maybe he's just being economical.
    If he fights constantly he'd makes less per fight. By fighting once per year, he cashes in on the spectacle. It's not like he's gonna tumble down the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Wow. 4 years already. That really was a special night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

D_ORWmzXoAA1AH0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gintonious wrote: »
    D_ORWmzXoAA1AH0.jpg

Jorge would murder Conor.
    But he'll also never fight him.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Wouldn't mind seeing that at 55. Would have to favour Jorge though - better all round skill set, arguable that Jorge's boxing is better too (best in MMA?). I'd say it's the kind of fight that would make Conor excited though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd say it's the kind of fight that would make Conor excited though...

Nah, it wouldn't excite the current Conor. Maybe the old one.

Advertisement