Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Just to confirm , it’s approx 5am Irish time when the main event starts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Just to confirm , it’s approx 5am Irish time when the main event starts ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'll be doing what I always do with UFC events, record it, get up at 7 without checking my phone, and watch five hours of content in about two hours by fast forwarding through everything but the fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'll be doing what I always do with UFC events, record it, get up at 7 without checking my phone, and watch five hours of content in about two hours by fast forwarding through everything but the fights.

I just can't do that with any big sporting event that I have interest in. Knowing it's on/over and that millions already know the result would kill me. I just have to watch big events like this live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

So there is a legal streaming option, espn+. You need to buy a year subscription as well though. Anyone have it, is it worth it? Would i get superbowl with it for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I just can't do that with any big sporting event that I have interest in. Knowing it's on/over and that millions already know the result would kill me. I just have to watch big events like this live.

Being a basketball fan, I'm well used to not watching live. Or when Bravo used to air the PPVs the next day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Whelo79 wrote: »

My problem is it is second nature for me to look at the google news articles on my phone when I wake up. I do it when I'm half asleep in the morning. After a UFC event there is always an article in there that spoils the main event. Plus, I think it's more exciting watching it live so I'm staying up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My problem is it is second nature for me to look at the google news articles on my phone when I wake up. I do it when I'm half asleep in the morning. After a UFC event there is always an article in there that spoils the main event. Plus, I think it's more exciting watching it live so I'm staying up for this.

Yes. Next to impossible not to stumble across spoilers unless you get up and do not at all look at fone screen..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

I also usually watch events the morning after. I used to get up to watch live, but too old for that racket now.

I don't find it too hard not to look at my phone in the morning, but then I don't have any social media accounts or anything, so nothing I feel like I need to check. Having said that, I'll set an alarm for 3am, and see how I'm feeling when it goes off :D

I find I have to stay up to watch it or watch highlights next day.

Setting the alarm and waking in middle of night doesn't work for me. Not really interested in that sort of violence waking out of a sleep at 4 or 5 am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Stayed up late last night to acclimatise. Slept til 2.30PM. You better believe I'm ready to go the distance! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'll catch the highlights in the morning, getting too old to be staying up that late, the next days a write off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'll just go to bed and turn off data/wifi on my phone so I don't get alerts and watch it when I get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Is everyone here staying up for the fight or getting some sleep beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

raclle wrote: »

Just woke up :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'll catch the highlights in the morning, getting too old to be staying up that late, the next days a write off then.

Can you write off a Sunday.....during a pandemic lockdown?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

raclle wrote: »

I'm staying up....but I live in the Est timezone....although I still considered a nap! Just need to pace out my drinking now. Finishing up the wine after dinner, then into the beers and land on a few guinness as conor makes the ring walk. Almost grabbed a bottle of proper earlier but whiskey gives me an awful hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I’m turning the phone off before hitting the hay and downloading the fight card in the morning, I’ll sit down with the missus with a few sneaky ciders after lunch and have a stomach like a washing machine watching Conor, absolutely love watching him fight and hoping it’s a cracker but not too stressful. PS hope gamebred and wonderfullife are watching somewhere and in a good place. Peace out, Nigz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

have the NL site loaded but still says stream starting shortly, i guess we will need to wait till 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

On ESPN+ it's always streaming season.

I thought that was much less close than they called it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads use the fight thread for any discussion on the event..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Just looking at Conor’s record. For the 6 fights he’s had in his proper weight class he’s actually lost half his fights. 6 fights 3 loses. 2 of those lads are journey man imo (cowboy & Diaz) Conor made his name in the featherweight division when he first started out. A division he should never have been in. Losing a ridiculous amount of weight just so he could fight lads way smaller than himself.

He’s been found out tonight. He’s marketed himself incredibly well though & fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ush1 wrote: »
    Have a feeling Dustin might surprise a few people this time.

Aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Losing a ridiculous amount of weight just so he could fight lads way smaller than himself.

You would wonder how he gets away with it, and why nobody else does it?
    Like Khabib definitely belongs at 155. Who cares if his liver shuts down from cutting weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just looking at Conor’s record. For the 6 fights he’s had in his proper weight class he’s actually lost half his fights. 6 fights 3 loses. 2 of those lads are journey man imo (cowboy & Diaz) Conor made his name in the featherweight division when he first started out. A division he should never have been in. Losing a ridiculous amount of weight just so he could fight lads way smaller than himself.

He’s been found out tonight. He’s marketed himself incredibly well though & fair play to him.

Agree with nearly all that, not so sure hes been found out though as much as the erratic last few years is catching up with him. Poirier has had 14 fights at LW in 6 years since his loss to McGregor. And only lost two. Incredible record.

McGregors has had 6 fights in 5 years since Aldo. Can maybe pin point the first mistake as going from FW to WW in what? 75 days? Ben all over the place since then. Only wins since then against two journeymen and a midget whos never beaten anyone good.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Thanks to the Mayweather fight, we'll never know what his true potential was.

There's no doubt his legacy as a true great takes a big hit after last night.

Unless he goes again and tries to work through the LW division and get 2 or 3 wins and a title, he'll have those question marks over his true talent.

I personally don't think it was as simple as a bigger man bullying a smaller division. Most of the others he was competing against were doing the exact same.

But you can't argue with the stats.

One of the true legends business wise. Talent not quite up there, but could have been.

I think he should get out now, go while the brain is not damaged. He has made good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Conor made his name in the featherweight division when he first started out. A division he should never have been in. Losing a ridiculous amount of weight just so he could fight lads way smaller than himself.
    What utter nonsense !

Do you not watch any other weight classes? Do you not watch boxing?
    Cutting weight is part of the game, and if you make weight legitimately then you’ve every right to fight at that weight.
    Should Dustin never have fought at featherweight either ???
    Many of the people Conor fought at FW were also cutting weight, like Dustin. To say it’s some how illegitimate is just pure nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

What utter nonsense !

Do you not watch any other weight classes? Do you not watch boxing?
    Cutting weight is part of the game, and if you make weight legitimately then you’ve every right to fight at that weight.
    Should Dustin never have fought at featherweight either ???
    Many of the people Conor fought at FW were also cutting weight, like Dustin. To say it’s some how illegitimate is just pure nonsense.
    there are far more weight classes in boxing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The big question now is does Conor knuckle down and train hard for a return, or go off the rails and not train and then come back expecting success?

I can’t see him leaving it like this, losing so cleanly against a man he beat..

Up to him

He’s not going to come back a completely new fighter. He is what he is..

But he could come back very well prepared, and go for the trilogy..

It would still be a 50/50 fight.

Advertisement