Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

He's done at elite level . He doesn't have the power

Even at 145 it wasn't one punch KO power he had . Other than Aldo nosediving into one . It was more overwhelming opponents with accurate shots

Now after one round he's a walking TKO or submission waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm not sure Poirier will want a rematch straight away, he'll have his eyes on the title. If Poirier wins that he'll look to McGregor for a defence of the title but what does McGregor do in that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He's done at elite level . He doesn't have the power

Even at 145 it wasn't one punch KO power he had . Other than Aldo nosediving into one . It was more overwhelming opponents with accurate shots

Now after one round he's a walking TKO or submission waiting to happen

Agree with this..

Size and range and reach at 145 allowed him execute a lot better

It is not there against bigger men

And he has no real plan B..ground game and wrestling is poor.

Stamina is not good enough..

You need a lot more than just range and hands when facing good men that are your size and a little bigger.

If Conor cannot get the likes of Chandler and Gaetje out of there they will pulverise him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I said it before the fight in one of threads it was ridiculous that Poirier was been written off so easily. The top of that division are savages and as tough as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

conor will have people lining up to fight him now, big money, easy fight.

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    conor will have people lining up to fight him now, big money, easy fight.

It's pretty weak from a business point of view putting him in as a ppv headliner.
    Will he accept not been the main event? Never in my opinion.
    Maybe he's got one more fight, but why bother he's made already.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    Agree with this..

You need a lot more than just range and hands when facing good men that are your size and a little bigger.

If Conor cannot get the likes of Chandler and Gaetje out of there they will pulverise him

Pretty much stop on, Guys who can take a punch and are bigger than him naturally are a nightmare
    Dustin looked massive in there and Conor never hurt him
    Although i think Conor would ko Chandler

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Pretty much stop on, Guys who can take a punch and are bigger than him naturally are a nightmare
    Dustin looked massive in there and Conor never hurt him,

Dustin himself said Conor hurt him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Dustin looked massive in there and Conor never hurt him,

Poirier said Conor caught him with a left that hurt him and said if he had of followed up he was in trouble.

Let's keep a bit of balance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Agree with this..

He had Diaz and Alvarez on the ground 3 times each.

I get what you're saying but I think he had the power to do damage at this weight at one stage.

Probably not nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I love the experts that pile in after a defeat full of absolute scutter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Dustin looked massive in there and Conor never hurt him
    Although i think Conor would ko Chandler

How come Dustin did say after the fight that Conor was hurting him then? Should we shy away from condemning Conor, he's still a good fighter, he has tough competition in that division.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I love the experts that pile in after a defeat full of absolute scutter

Like clockwork. There must be some amount of lads who made a FORTUNE on this since they're now so sure McGregor was going to lose.

Funny you never hear them before the fight. Think the poll on the 257 thread had 10% predicting a Poirier KO. Didn't see anyone on the betting thread pick this either. Late KO or sub maybe...

Even the Brits don't want him

GqjdVxT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

cloudatlas wrote: »
    How come Dustin did say after the fight that Conor was hurting him then? Should we shy away from condemning Conor, he's still a good fighter, he has tough competition in that division.

Good business . Hes learning.

weemcd wrote: »
    Like clockwork. There must be some amount of lads who made a FORTUNE on this since they're now so sure McGregor was going to lose.

Funny you never hear them before the fight. Think the poll on the 257 thread had 10% predicting a Poirier KO. Didn't see anyone on the betting thread pick this either. Late KO or sub maybe...

It's all the more damaging of a defeat. This was meant to be a gimme, McGregor hugging him at the weigh in didn't see him as a threat.

rob316 wrote: »
    It's all the more damaging of a defeat. This was meant to be a gimme, McGregor hugging him at the weigh in didn't see him as a threat.

McG is no fool

He knows that everyone he meets is a threat in the octagon..

He just wasn’t up to it earlier, and Dustin exposed this..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Amazing oversight really. So complacent. Talking about Khabib more than Dustin, talking about Pacquiao at the end of the year.

Was the same last year with Cerrone. "The season" of McGregor and all that. One fight at a time there buddy.
    McG is no fool

Dunno. I think he was already looking past him. In all his fights up to Cerrone, he did the mind games thing, putting huge pressure on himself and rattled his opponent. I dunno if its a PR thing because of everything thats happened outside the Octagon but nice guy Conor isn't going to cut it. Maybe hes just grown up.

The Nal wrote: »
    Amazing oversight really. So complacent. Talking about Khabib more than Dustin, talking about Pacquiao at the end of the year.

Was the same last year with Cerrone. "The season" of McGregor and all that. One fight at a time there buddy.

Dunno. I think he was already looking past him. In all his fights up to Cerrone, he did the mind games thing, putting huge pressure on himself and rattled his opponent. I dunno if its a PR thing because of everything thats happened outside the Octagon but nice guy Conor isn't going to cut it. Maybe hes just grown up.

You got it...

All that forced trash and a scutter talk had to be binned due to the public reaction towards his behaviours...

Now it’s all forced nicey nice nonsense...

But that doesn’t mean Conor thought Dustin was no threat..

Conor said he put in a great camp and prepared hard..

He is just not at the level he was years ago...and may never get there again.

McG is no fool

Spent too much time talking about khabib and not the task at hand.

The rematch is gone now, he would of made insane money on it. That's all he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭hawaii501

He can't engage in any of the previous press conference antics anymore with what he's done over the last few years. He'd be ate alive by the opponent thats why its all hug and compliments now trying to persuade the public he's 'changed.

I'd bet any money if his opponent had been up for some of the allegations he is/was he would be the first to bring it up in the build-up of the fight because thats just the type of person he is!!

Poirier took McGregor's best shot and then McGregor went down like a sack of spuds

In fairness to McGregor, he has silenced the "McTapper" crowd with this knockout loss.

Spent too much time talking about khabib and not the task at hand.

The rematch is gone now, he would of made insane money on it. That's all he wanted.

Assume the plan was to smash Poirier, get Khabib out of retirement for a big summer fight and then fight Manny in the winter. All out the window now.

He has to make a choice to give MMA a go 100% or pack it in. To keep his MMA career going hes looking at Ferguson, Gaethje, Dos Anjos, Felder and Hooker who are all coming off loses recently. So they won't be headline fights. Oliveira too whos the only one on a good run.

Oliveira in particular is a horrible match up for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

If he wants to keep fighting in MMA he needs to get back training asap and get a fight booked asap. If inactivity was an issue then there is no point sitting around for another 6 months. Is April too soon of a turnaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Aldo looking at the fight....."leg kicks....why did I rush in" :(

If he wants to keep fighting in MMA he needs to get back training asap and get a fight booked asap. If inactivity was an issue then there is no point sitting around for another 6 months. Is April too soon of a turnaround?

Who though?
    The money is going to become less, possibility of not main eventing the ppv.

He has built himself as a global superstar, he isn't going to swallow his pride and slog it out in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Who though?
    The money is going to become less, possibility of not main eventing the ppv.

He has built himself as a global superstar, he isn't going to swallow his pride and slog it out in the division.

Yeah just can't see him fighting 3 or 4 times against the contenders in LW to get back in contention. Some really tough guys around the top of the division who will all fancy their chances not the air of invincibility has been broken

JJayoo wrote: »
    Aldo looking at the fight....."leg kicks....why did I rush in" :(

Haha yeah and that was Aldos thing! Mind games. Aldo isn't the fizziest drink in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

The Nal wrote: »
    Oliveira in particular is a horrible match up for him.
    I think this is the fight to make. Why do you say it's a horrible match for McGregor?

• Advertisement

I think this is the fight to make. Why do you say it's a horrible match for McGregor?

This

Every Charles Oliveira submission in the UFC!

Advertisement