Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i can't see mcgregor ever agreeing to not be the headliner on a card. i can't see him trying to grind a series of wins together either to repair/build a legacy at LW either. the hunger is not there. i'd say there's a good chance we don't see him again.

if he really wants to do something meaningful, he needs to switch camps. i mean it's telling that him and his team were saying this is the best version of mcgregor when it was clear to see it wasn't. surrounded by yes men and average coaches. move to america, do everything the coaches tell you and grind it out. but i doubt he has the hunger for that. then again, what else is going to do, whiskey ads for the rest of his life?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The Nal wrote: »
    Amazing oversight really. So complacent. Talking about Khabib more than Dustin, talking about Pacquiao at the end of the year.

To be fair, the only times I saw him talk about Khabib or Pacquiao was when he was asked about them specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What's the minimum layoff after a KO loss? Two months?

If he's serious about staying active, he can take two weeks off, then straight back into a full fight camp, and take any fight offered, just to get back on the grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

froog wrote: »
    i can't see mcgregor ever agreeing to not be the headliner on a card. i can't see him trying to grind a series of wins together either to repair/build a legacy at LW either. the hunger is not there. i'd say there's a good chance we don't see him again.

if he really wants to do something meaningful, he needs to switch camps. i mean it's telling that him and his team were saying this is the best version of mcgregor when it was clear to see it wasn't. surrounded by yes men and average coaches. move to america, do everything the coaches tell you and grind it out. but i doubt he has the hunger for that. then again, what else is going to do, whiskey ads for the rest of his life?

UFC will 100% make sure Conor the headliner

He gets paid pay per veiw % for evey fight

If they put other Champion or Super star as headliner and McGregor futher down the card they have to pay 2 people pay per veiw %,

It makes no financial sense for the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

How many fights are left on McGregor's UFC deal? I thought it was 3 a while back before the Cerrone fight which would leave him with 1 now. Might make for very tough negotiations for a new deal if correct

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    How many fights are left on McGregor's UFC deal? I thought it was 3 a while back before the Cerrone fight which would leave him with 1 now. Might make for very tough negotiations for a new deal if correct

Tough for who? Despite his loss, he's still a huge draw for the company. Are they going to let him walk out the door after the next fight?

Tough for who? Despite his loss, he's still a huge draw for the company. Are they going to let him walk out the door after the next fight?

Tough for both parties, there's going to be an element of doubt around how long McGregor can do these massive numbers now the air of invincibility is gone.

The losses to Diaz & Khabib could kind of be explained away with the Diaz fight being at WW and Khabib being a special fighter. This ko loss can't be talked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Tough for both parties, there's going to be an element of doubt around how long McGregor can do these massive numbers now the air of invincibility is gone.

The losses to Diaz & Khabib could kind of be explained away with the Diaz fight being at WW and Khabib being a special fighter. This ko loss can't be talked away.

inactivity? then he trains really hard for the next couple of years,cuts out the partying, maybe becomes a tea.to.tal.er, fighting lesser fighters and beating them convincingly using his old fighting style. he could do it if he wanted.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    inactivity? then he trains really hard for the next couple of years,cuts out the partying, maybe becomes a tea.to.tal.er, fighting lesser fighters and beating them convincingly using his old fighting style. he could do it if he wanted.

How realistic do you think that is to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭pgj2015

How realistic do you think that is to happen?

That is up to him. he wont be loving how he is feeling now so it might drive him on to rectify things.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    That is up to him. he wont be loving how he is feeling now so it might drive him on to rectify things.

It is up to him and I don't see it happening.

I have no doubt he puts the effort into his camps but it seems he has control over the camps and what they work on rather than Kavanagh & Roddy. I don't see that changing and I don't think he is best placed to spot his weaknesses.

I don't see him fighting regularly enough to overcome his ring rust. I wouldn't expect him to fight again until Sept or Oct and that's likely to be a win or bust fight in terms of a shot at the title or a meaningless Diaz 3

I though that this was supposed to be "McGregor 2.0", "clean living", "best-shape-of-his-life", "enjoy the masterpiece I'm about to paint", "highlight reel for son" condition?

where does that leave him then if this was supposed to be him off the bag and working hard when he was lit up like up like a Christmas tree so easily by Poirier?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I saw a lot of comments about the shape he was in and all the muscle etc.. it didn't look that way to me. Looked like instagram pictures after a bit of a pump. Dustin actually looked in better shape at the weigh ins. Difference in their cores.

He looked weak in the belly, as Mayweather said about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

He lost his fire

Too much respect and not enough mind games

He said a few years ago about jose aldo ( he has a kid and isnt the same fighter he was before ) now he has number 3 on the way so maybe he is kidding himself that he is still the same

Also not being commited to mma has hurt , either mma or boxing , he’s not hungry for it anymore

Gutted he lost but respect to dustin who looked very hungry

He's definitely going to fight again this year, and we already know who the two likely opponents are going to be. It's going to be Diaz or Dustin again. Conor vs Nate 2 did 300k more PPV buys than their first fight so it follows logic that the UFC would want to set up the trilogy for Dustin right off the bat and if that falls through go for Diaz. Khabib will stay retired for awhile yet. I don't see him coming back to fight Poirier again or even Chandler. He'll look for GSP instead and Dana will likely make that fight since the Conor rematch is gone.

Best thing about Mcgregor being knocked out is he won't be talking about fighting Pacman now. Even if he won most people wouldn't want to see that fight and now that he got KO'd it wouldn't sell because no one believes Conor has a chance of winning. Interesting times ahead.

Delighted for Dustin though, if anyone deserved to be the first to KO Mcgregor in the UFC it was him. I'd say he's going to hound Dana for the rematch considering the absolutely massive payday he'll get and he'll deserve every penny since they kept underpaying him for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Unfortunately, this is the end of Conor’s career.

When he started off, he was young, hungry, desperate and had nothing in life except MMA to give him a future. Every ounce of his energy and being was put into being the champ champ until he finally delivered it.

Last night we saw a different man. An old haggard looking Conor. The last few years of inactivity and extra curriculars has taken its toll on his face, his skill set and his body. His heart and hunger is no longer there. The mcgregor in diaz 2 faced adversity and fought through to come on stronger. Last night we saw him crumple and collapse.

The sad fact is mcgregor is a one trick pony. He had lightning in a bottle with the rocket left hand, but now the fizz is gone out and the blueprint to beat him is clear. Avoid getting knocked out in the first minute and he’ll tire and you can pounce. His hunger is no longer there. Sleeping in silk sheets and play time with the kids is no way to prepare for a fight to the death. It’s a distraction, it takes your edge off and McGregor has lost his killer instinct.

If he really wanted to improve he would leave behind the limitations of SBG and Kavanagh and head west to America and enter a top gym. Iron sharpens iron, and he won’t get any sharper training with copper Roddy and tin kavanagh and the boys from crumbling boxing centre. He wouldn’t be treated as a meal ticket and rather as another fighter to learn and earn respect on the mats, where the coach is in charge and dictates game plan and training.

The fact kavanagh didn’t even mention once in between rounds about the calf kick is a damning indictment of his own limitations, and the disservice he is giving to Conor. SBG was found out a long time ago , and Conor flirted with training abroad but has a strange sense of loyalty to them and has never pushed on. Porier is a completely different beast to 7 years ago. Conor is the same one trick pony , but now with inactivity and general bodily abuse to boot.

McGregor said he didn’t even feel sad after the loss. A true sign his killer instinct is gone. Too comfortable sleeping in the silk sheets and sitting on the mountain of cash. His time at the top is at last over, but truthfully ended in 2016.

Thanks for the memories champ. Rest easy now, you don’t have to suffer anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Unfortunately, this is the end of Conor’s career.

When he started off, he was young, hungry, desperate and had nothing in life except MMA to give him a future. Every ounce of his energy and being was put into being the champ champ until he finally delivered it.

Last night we saw a different man. An old haggard looking Conor. The last few years of inactivity and extra curriculars has taken its toll on his face, his skill set and his body. His heart and hunger is no longer there. The mcgregor in diaz 2 faced adversity and fought through to come on stronger. Last night we saw him crumple and collapse.

The sad fact is mcgregor is a one trick pony. He had lightning in a bottle with the rocket left hand, but now the fizz is gone out and the blueprint to beat him is clear. Avoid getting knocked out in the first minute and he’ll tire and you can pounce. His hunger is no longer there. Sleeping in silk sheets and play time with the kids is no way to prepare for a fight to the death. It’s a distraction, it takes your edge off and McGregor has lost his killer instinct.

If he really wanted to improve he would leave behind the limitations of SBG and Kavanagh and head west to America and enter a top gym. Iron sharpens iron, and he won’t get any sharper training with copper Roddy and tin kavanagh and the boys from crumbling boxing centre. He wouldn’t be treated as a meal ticket and rather as another fighter to learn and earn respect on the mats, where the coach is in charge and dictates game plan and training.

The fact kavanagh didn’t even mention once in between rounds about the calf kick is a damning indictment of his own limitations, and the disservice he is giving to Conor. SBG was found out a long time ago , and Conor flirted with training abroad but has a strange sense of loyalty to them and has never pushed on. Porier is a completely different beast to 7 years ago. Conor is the same one trick pony , but now with inactivity and general bodily abuse to boot.

McGregor said he didn’t even feel sad after the loss. A true sign his killer instinct is gone. Too comfortable sleeping in the silk sheets and sitting on the mountain of cash. His time at the top is at last over, but truthfully ended in 2016.

Thanks for the memories champ. Rest easy now, you don’t have to suffer anymore.

Jesus did you get a new cliche book for Christmas??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Am I crazy for thinking the Diaz fight makes sense at this point?
    If I was Dana I'd be looking at what can sell.

Dustin probably won't want a rematch and the Khabib rematch doesn't make sense at this point.
    If he puts him against someone new in the division he has to spend marketing money even if it is McGregor but with Diaz he already has the narrative in place to sell it to people

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dustin probably won't want a rematch and the Khabib rematch doesn't make sense at this point.
    If he puts him against someone new in the division he has to spend marketing money even if it is McGregor but with Diaz he already has the narrative in place to sell it to people

that would be a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dustin won’t want a rematch with Conor?

If you mean this, then I don’t agree

A Conor rubber match would give him a very good payday, and he knows he can win now. Took Conor’s shots as well and closed the show, in a fight that was not at all tough. It was quite an easy night compared to other Poirier fights.

• Advertisement

I'm not really interested in any particular conor fight right now. Maybe a rematch with Dustin. And obviously Khabib (gone for long time now).

The Nate fight is of little consequence now. Nate doesn't even fight anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Drop that McGregor fast thing too it's embarrassing. It's supposed to be the ultimate conditioning program and he was blowing hard after the 1st round.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Low kick his base was always the general advice for people fighting McGregor. Unacceptable that SBG/Kavanagh didn't prepare him for lower calf kicks. I'd like to see him move camps because he won't win or learn with the current coaching set up.

rob316 wrote: »
    Drop that McGregor fast thing too it's embarrassing. It's supposed to be the ultimate conditioning program and he was blowing hard after the 1st round.

The GAST program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

he's tasted too much of the high life to regain the hunger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

If Conor actually does get the fire back, which honestly i seriously doubt, the first thing he needs to do is switch camp. What other championship calibre fighters has SBGi produced? None. They've produced a few decent fighters, but compared to gyms like ATT, SBG are small time. You're not learning elite level striking and grappling in 2021 from Owen Roddy and John Kavanagh, in 2014 yes, nowadays, not so much.
    Personally, i don't see him coming back from this. He had grand plans to come back, put on his masterpiece, and cruise to the Gold again. But now hes realized the top guys at 55 are a level beyond and why would he do this **** given hes already made all his money? I imagine itll be back to partying, scandals, and inactivity for another year or so, maybe try and setup the pacman fight, and eventually just fade out of the sport altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

helluva drug

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

if you take anything from the Poirier interviews after he only wants McGregor next for the money, and he has earned it.

Immediately in the cage he did the 1 & 1 with his finger

He spoke about how conor hurt him and could have had him in trouble if he followed up, not sure thats even true just him giving substance to the need to do the trilogy

He also said he more or less has no interest in the Chandler fight.

If im Mcgregors team im letting him nowhere near that fight, he needs to be fighting 7-12 guys for a couple of fights then the rematch.

Also those calling for a change of camp might be on to something, SBG fighters are in awe of him no way is he getting the same tests in training that he used to. Wouldnt even need a full change he could go somewhere else for a couple of months and bring Kavanagh in for the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

arccosh wrote: »
    he's tasted too much of the high life to regain the hunger

from his website 2016
    Boxing legend Marvin Hagler once said “It’s hard to get out of bed in the morning to go for a run when you’re sleeping in silk sheets”. The sentiment being, of course, that once a fighter is on top of his sport and has made his money, they no longer have the drive or passion to put in the work required to stay there.
    UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor understands — but doesn’t relate.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

from his website 2016
    Boxing legend Marvin Hagler once said “It’s hard to get out of bed in the morning to go for a run when you’re sleeping in silk sheets”. The sentiment being, of course, that once a fighter is on top of his sport and has made his money, they no longer have the drive or passion to put in the work required to stay there.
    UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor understands — but doesn’t relate.

proceeds to lose next 3 fights

Advertisement