Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

from his website 2016
    Boxing legend Marvin Hagler once said “It’s hard to get out of bed in the morning to go for a run when you’re sleeping in silk sheets”. The sentiment being, of course, that once a fighter is on top of his sport and has made his money, they no longer have the drive or passion to put in the work required to stay there.
    UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor understands — but doesn’t relate.
    There should probably be a running count of how many times that line has been trotted out about McGregor.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    There should probably be a running count of how many times that line has been trotted out about McGregor.

McGregor can't have silk sheets 'cos he sh1ts the bed on a regular basis, like last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

glasso wrote:
    McGregor can't have silk sheets 'cos he sh1ts the bed on a regular basis, like last night.
    I'd ****e the bed for 30 million dollars, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

His face looks so old, what happened him. He looks Like he’s 55.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd ****e the bed for 30 million dollars, wouldn't you?

he was supposed to "paint a masterpiece".

he has the money already.

tired default argument at this stage tbh

McGregor himself was rabbiting on about his "legacy" pre-fight.

since he left featherweight he's 3-3, Cerrone in there in the wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

His face looks so old, what happened him. He looks Like he’s 55.

Yeah i really noticed this aswel . He looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Yeah i really noticed this aswel . He looks awful

He looks exactly the same as he always has, body and face.

spix wrote: »
    He looks exactly the same as he always has, body and face.

Haha nobody looks exactly the same as they did. It's called ageing . The body and face actually made me laugh out loud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

No doubt he has aged a lot, that lifestyle does you no good.

His game is going backwards, no kicks, no spinning attacks nothing unpredictable at all - just plodding forward heady footed looking to wing the left.

A boxing coach in the corner, another coach who does not seem up for it, a gym full of Instagram world champs and yes men. How did it go wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Haha nobody looks exactly the same as they did. It's called ageing . The body and face actually made me laugh out loud

He looks more or less exactly the same. That make more sense? You're implying he has aged more than normal.

• Advertisement

No doubt he has aged a lot, that lifestyle does you no good.

His game is going backwards, no kicks, no spinning attacks nothing unpredictable at all - just plodding forward heady footed looking to wing the left.

A boxing coach in the corner, another coach who does not seem up for it, a gym full of Instagram world champs and yes men. How did it go wrong ?

Have to agree with this . Like any sport it is continually evolving year on year. CmcG and his gym just stagnated . Just watched his press conference . Came across well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Have to agree with this . Like any sport it is continually evolving year on year. CmcG and his gym just stagnated . Just watched his press conference . Came across well

They are way too over confident as well. Listen to Roddy and its basically stuff like, Poirier has the tools but when he gets hit with that left it's over. Well what happens when it isnt? There is no plan B.

So, if he is serious about continuing, I'd agree with others here that he should be heading to a top gym in the states. His loyalty to sbg is commendable but its akin to christiano ronaldo staying with sporting Lisbon his whole career.

Also the build up to the fight seems off. Hanging out on a yacht? Having the kids around all the time. As a dad, it's cool to see but as prep to fight another man in a cage, seems like a distraction and kids can turn you soft.

Nate could be a good next one at 155. People will time in for the trilogy, but if he loses again, the whole appeal will be out the window. The rest of the lads in 155 are licking their lips right now, knowing there is a path to beat him, which doesnt mean being khabib or a zombie like nate.

They are way too over confident as well. Listen to Roddy and its basically stuff like, Poirier has the tools but when he gets hit with that left it's over. Well what happens when it isnt? There is no plan B.

So, if he is serious about continuing, I'd agree with others here that he should be heading to a top gym in the states. His loyalty to sbg is commendable but its akin to christiano ronaldo staying with sporting Lisbon his whole career.

Also the build up to the fight seems off. Hanging out on a yacht? Having the kids around all the time. As a dad, it's cool to see but as prep to fight another man in a cage, seems like a distraction and kids can turn you soft.

Nate could be a good next one at 155. People will time in for the trilogy, but if he loses again, the whole appeal will be out the window. The rest of the lads in 155 are licking their lips right now, knowing there is a path to beat him, which doesnt mean being khabib or a zombie like nate.

I agree they are way over confident . Way out of their depth . How they mentioned nothing about leg kicks after Rd 1 is mind boggling. Dangerous delusion that everything is under control.

In fact how they didn't mention leg kicks before the fight when they seen who was in Poiriers corner . Even Conor knew they were coming but his coaches said nothing . Crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

complacent

I don't care how much you want to portray the nice nice new persona...

Having family around, living it up on a yacht, still pushing brands.... your head is not 100% in the fight then....

There are fighters who disappear off the face of the earth for 2 months because all they do is eat sleep train...

I agree they are way over confident . Way out of their depth . How they mentioned nothing about leg kicks after Rd 1 is mind boggling. Dangerous delusion that everything is under control.

In fact how they didn't mention leg kicks before the fight when they seen who was in Poiriers corner . Even Conor knew they were coming but his coaches said nothing . Crazy

Yeah, exactly. In the interviews with his coaches I never heard anything like "poirier has weapons, but we have a plan for that" . Sutcliffe wrote poirier off as not being a great boxer. And as you said, look at poitiers team and what their strengths are. None of that.

arccosh wrote: »
    complacent

I don't care how much you want to portray the nice nice new persona...

Having family around, living it up on a yacht, still pushing brands.... your head is not 100% in the fight then....

There are fighters who disappear off the face of the earth for 2 months because all they do is eat sleep train...

That's right. Hagler used to go to to the catskills for his fights. Running up the mountains with his top off in the snow, shouting WAR!!!

The kids too. I don't head into big meeting at work with the kids in tow. Massive distraction.

If he comes back, I hope he makes some big changes. Otherwise, he may as well box manny, earn a few mil and head off into action movies or ufc commentary or something.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

Incredible amount of accusations being thrown around about McGregor and his lifestyle. The man's never ever failed a drug test, just because he has an air of confidence about him doesn't mean he takes cocaine.

He also always seems to stay in shape outside of fights. He probably has the odd drink but I don't think there is any evidence to suggest he drinks excessively nevermind doing illegal drugs.

Incredible amount of accusations being thrown around about McGregor and his lifestyle. The man's never ever failed a drug test, just because he has an air of confidence about him doesn't mean he takes cocaine.

He also always seems to stay in shape outside of fights. He probably has the odd drink but I don't think there is any evidence to suggest he drinks excessively nevermind doing illegal drugs.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know how many spectators flew over to Dubai from Ireland?

Ah come on man .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm probably not allowed to mention alleged videos and treehouses so I won't

Weak effort, 2/10.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

evil_seed wrote: »
    I'm probably not allowed to mention alleged videos and treehouses so I won't

We can make all the allegations we want, they don't mean anything. Like I said I'm sure he has the odd drink but people talk about him like he's a raging alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone know how many spectators flew over to Dubai from Ireland?

All of McGregor's lickarse parasite "friends" were there. Gerry Vegas, the bearded one, his criminal buddy johner murray etc.

We can make all the allegations we want, they don't mean anything. Like I said I'm sure he has the odd drink but people talk about him like he's a raging alcoholic.

nobody said that he's a raging alcoholic

this is bad trolling on your part really

it's beyond doubt that has however gone through periods where he has heavily abused alcohol and other substances, often over multi-day binges.

it's in these periods where he has for example being caught on camera sucker-punching people in the head, smashing up other people's phones and even more serious allegations

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

Does anyone know how Owen Roddy became Mcregors main striking coach?. It seems to me that SBG like most mma gyms in Ireland was really just a bjj gym for the most part with a bit of striking thrown in for the longest time. What are Owen Roddys actual striking credentials? It seems Mcgregor was always the best striker in the gym by far due to his boxing background so how did Roddy become his coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,637 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Did Conor’s team not at all reference Dustin’s impacting kicks?

I mean, wasn’t Conor’s leg visibly reddening at the end round 1?

What are the overall views of his coaching team?

Looked the other night to be primarily boxing oriented. Conor looked like he was in a boxing ring for parts of the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    What are the overall views of his coaching team?

That they've taken him as far as he can go and he needs to change it all up and move to America or Canada with a new team. Can't just box forever. Irish MMA has a level and to be fair to Conor, hes smashed that ceiling but only so far you can go.

The Nal wrote: »
    That they've taken him as far as he can go and he needs to change it all up and move to America or Canada with a new team. Can't just box forever. Irish MMA has a level and to be fair to Conor, hes smashed that ceiling but only so far you can go.

Canada? You think firas Zahabi in Montreal? That would be very very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MarkY91 wrote: »
    All of McGregor's lickarse parasite "friends" were there. Gerry Vegas, the bearded one, his criminal buddy johner murray etc.

Is that the lad who has a super sweet 16 style birthday party for his 30th ,
    An actual real life grown man WTF happened to the world ,
    I'm pretty sure his second name wouldn't be Vegas either

He is probably a lovely fella but that just odd to me ,

Advertisement