Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

walshb wrote: »
    Did Conor’s team not at all reference Dustin’s impacting kicks?

I mean, wasn’t Conor’s leg visibly reddening at the end round 1?

What are the overall views of his coaching team?

Looked the other night to be primarily boxing oriented. Conor looked like he was in a boxing ring for parts of the fight.

IMO the issue is that McGregor is running the training camps and the coaches have become like paid cheerleaders for him rather than devising a strategy for the fights.

The plan for Saturday seemed to go no further than land a big left, while his team deserve criticism for not talking to him about dealing with the kicks between rounds he was the guy in there and has enough experience to cope with them better. He seemed to double down on his land a big left plan instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Canada? You think firas Zahabi in Montreal? That would be very very interesting.

Well if he wants to take it seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The Nal wrote: »
    Well if he wants to take it seriously!

True.
    That would be cool. I might be wrong but I think Joe Duffy spent some time there at one point. Maybe not the best example of success, but outside of GSP, all sorts of fighters have spent some time at that gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

RoryMac wrote: »
    The plan for Saturday seemed to go no further than land a big left, while his team deserve criticism for not talking to him about dealing with the kicks between rounds he was the guy in there and has enough experience to cope with them better. He seemed to double down on his land a big left plan instead.

https://twitter.com/Frittenpate/status/1353450810688987137

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

MarkY91 wrote: »
    All of McGregor's lickarse parasite "friends" were there. Gerry Vegas, the bearded one, his criminal buddy johner murray etc.

They'll hardly be self isolating when arriving back to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Boys anyone think that Pacquiao match should be scrapped altogether?

There is no f*cking way he'll survive that.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

The Nate II fight is a good example of him being able to make adjustments to a loss.

I do agree though that their game plan seemed to start and end with the left hand. The time may be right for him to change to a different camp for his next fight, even though I doubt he will.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Boys anyone think that Pacquiao match should be scrapped altogether?

There is no f*cking way he'll survive that.

Even if he had smashed Dustin on Saturday night it should be scrapped. He should stick to MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I think he will either fight Diaz or have to fight another journeyman. He is box office, but isn't a title contender atm.

100%.

I think he looked past Dustin Poirier at his peril. He felt Dustins chin would give in way before his own lead leg and all of sudden his leg was shot and it was only a matter ot time (seconds in the octagon).,

The opposite of what I thought would happened, actually happened too. Dustin felt a hard shot or two in the opening exchanges and they were not as bad as they were in his own mind, could be the benefit of going up to 155 and could also be that he's very active and battle hardened. As he took on more and became less gun shy, he engaged which tired Mcgregor out, he also smiled a bit and began to enjoy the bout I think but bottom line, he stayed up and moving and that's never good for mcgregor so 100%, well done, I was totally wrong and happy to be so too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

BigMo1 wrote: »
    The Nate II fight is a good example of him being able to make adjustments to a loss.

I do agree though that their game plan seemed to start and end with the left hand. The time may be right for him to change to a different camp for his next fight, even though I doubt he will.

He struggled after the 2 rounds. Did a lot of running around the ring. I think Alvarez was his last impressive fight. Would like to see him hit his form again, but can't see it from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,635 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Personally I think that was both his best performance and best win

He showed an awful lot in there that night.....against a strong and big man...

Sure, he may have had more impressive looking wins, but that night he showed more than any other night...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

eddie73 wrote: »
    He struggled after the 2 rounds. Did a lot of running around the ring. I think Alvarez was his last impressive fight. Would like to see him hit his form again, but can't see it from now on.

He won the 4th round comfortably. It's pretty difficult to know where he stands at the moment in all honesty, Dustin has wins over Conor and Gaethje now, he's likely the best LW active. I don't know what's best for Conor, a fight against Tony or Nate 3 feel like it makes sense but don't get me too excited.
    walshb wrote: »
    Personally I think that was both his best performance and best win

He showed an awful lot in there that night.....against a strong and big man...

Sure, he may have had more impressive looking wins, but that night he showed more than any other night...

Agree. Proved a lot of people wrong that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

He won the 4th round comfortably. It's pretty difficult to know where he stands at the moment in all honesty, Dustin has wins over Conor and Gaethje now, he's likely the best LW active. I don't know what's best for Conor, a fight against Tony or Nate 3 feel like it makes sense but don't get me too excited.

Agree. Proved a lot of people wrong that night.

Hes probably out for 6 months minimum now due to ko and then to do another training camp. Hopefully something will arise by then.

Tony probably makes the most sense, but ye, it's not exactly super exciting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Hes probably out for 6 months minimum now due to ko and then to do another training camp. Hopefully something will arise by then.

Tony probably makes the most sense, but ye, it's not exactly super exciting.

Its sad that Ferguson vs Mcgregor is the most likely at this point and they're both incredibly out of their game.

Ferguson is suffering from severe mental illness (possibly brought by repeated head trauma?). He's just a shadow of his former self. If Conor wins who cares?If Ferguson wins it just cements what everyone else is thinking: Its time for Conor to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its sad that Ferguson vs Mcgregor is the most likely at this point and they're both incredibly out of their game.

Ferguson is suffering from severe mental illness (possibly brought by repeated head trauma?). He's just a shadow of his former self. If Conor wins who cares?If Ferguson wins it just cements what everyone else is thinking: Its time for Conor to retire.

If getting beat by Dustin means your down then there won't be many fighters left in the light weight division ,

This is not boxing you fight the best of the best every time out, People will lose fights ,

If getting beat by Dustin means your down then there won't be many fighters left in the light weight division ,

This is not boxing you fight the best of the best every time out, People will lose fights ,

Cerrone?

glasso wrote: »
    Cerrone?

Diaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I felt this fight was like Diaz 1. McGregor trying to land a big left. Loaded up and missed a couple of big ones in the second round before he gassed. Poirier caught him with some good leg kicks which obviously contributed but then we got the McGregor ‘brick wall’ moment halfway through the second round where he slows down, gets hit and suddenly looks gassed and in big trouble.

He’s a flat track bully. Great when he’s fresh and going forward but once someone lets him wear himself out for a round and then walks him down he has nothing to offer. Very disappointed with how he reacted. He blew his knee out in the Holloway fight and took the initiative and took it to the ground. In this case he wilted.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

clsmooth wrote: »
    I felt this fight was like Diaz 1. McGregor trying to land a big left. Loaded up and missed a couple of big ones in the second round before he gassed. Poirier caught him with some good leg kicks which obviously contributed but then we got the McGregor ‘brick wall’ moment halfway through the second round where he slows down, gets hit and suddenly looks gassed and in big trouble.

He’s a flat track bully. Great when he’s fresh and going forward but once someone lets him wear himself out for a round and then walks him down he has nothing to offer. Very disappointed with how he reacted. He blew his knee out in the Holloway fight and took the initiative and took it to the ground. In this case he wilted.

He didn't "gas". He got clipped with a counter right hook, put against the cage and teed off on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

I wonder how long it is going to take until he realises the Mcgregor Fast system isn't working. It might work for cycling but not for fighting. The old school methods are tried and tested and just plain work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Yep. I'm wouldnt be guite calling for him to retire yet. (Although its probably the smarter decision)

It was pretty even up unti the ko and Dustin's cream of the crop competition too.

He does need to make some big adjustments though. Weight class, cardio issues, stance and style, trainers and sparring partners all really need to be scrutinized.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

DodoDojo wrote: »
    I wonder how long it is going to take until he realises the Mcgregor Fast system isn't working. It might work for cycling but not for fighting. The old school methods are tried and tested and just plain work.

And what would they be?

Kavanagh calling for McGregor v Poirier III for the belt in May.

What planet is he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

What planet is he on?

If McGregor gets a title shot I'm done with streaming UFC fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just going to say the same, what planet is he on. No way Dana would book that. Conor who has one win at 155

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

He is now a gate-keeper, due to inactivity and losses at LW he is lucky to be top 7 and could seriously lose to anyone in the top 10 due to his decline, never mind a title shot :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What planet is he on?

He said if he doesn't get the rematch he might drift off into boxing. Christ, doesn't sound too focused on being an MMA champ so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

What planet is he on?

Ariel Helwani interview?
    FFS, it was Ariel that said that & John just said yes.

I agree he doesn’t deserve a title shot but Poirier does. Khabib doesn’t look like he’s coming back. So if Poirier’s next fight is the rematch what do you do with the belt? Just leave it vacant?

• Advertisement

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ariel Helwani interview?
    FFS, it was Ariel that said that & John just said yes

No, while Ariel might have said it first (I'd have to check), John referenced it repeatedly. He certainly didn't just say "yes".

Perhaps watch it again and concentrate.

Advertisement